Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Watch me play a shitty game (Fallout 3) (COMPLETED!!)

FeelTheRads

Arcane
No because they're the same thing

Yes, the same thing. A ghoul with a tree growing out of its head is the same as having that ghoul turned into a tree with its heart buried in the ground and with a cult of worshipers.
Just like a ghost (which in the words of the ever so intelligent DrogDrog meant ghosts are canon now) is the same as a vampire cult.
Like convincing the master with information found through the game, skill checks and not retarded dialogue is the same as convincing Eden that "Come on man, you just have to do this. I mean... really!".

Yeah, the same fucking thing!

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
Heh, just ran across Harold in my playthrough, I did not carry a flamer, so I looked in my inventory for any weapon that can harm him. Chinese Assault rifle didn't work, I tried the Ripper sawing action on him, didn't work, so did the Laser Rifle. Guess there was only one thing left to try...

tree001.jpg

tree002.jpg

Farewell, old friend.

tree003.jpg

tree004.jpg

tree005.jpg

Rest in pieces.

Pliskin

Arbiter
Darth Roxor said:
... for it to actually happen you needed a holodisk from one woman in the BoS camp...

And this.

That you actually have to piece together the evidence as the game goes along. If you miss out, then yr SOL with the Master self-murder.

Again, unlike Prez Eden, where you just show up, and 1 second after he forces you to agree to his nefarious plan, you get one line of dialogue that convinces him to shut down. Yah, that makes sense.

Can't wait what other nonsense Clockwork Knight will put up next

:P

Yes, the same thing. A ghoul with a tree growing out of its head is the same as having that ghoul turned into a tree with its heart buried in the ground and with a cult of worshipers.

yes, he's still "blah blah his name's Bob! hur hur".

Just like a ghost (which in the words of the ever so intelligent DrogDrog meant ghosts are canon now)

ITS NOT CANON BECAUSE I SAID SO! It's not even a random encounter. You can't pick and choose what you like.

is the same as a vampire cult.

not really vampires. Just a bunch of crazy people being crazy. Why people accept talking deathclaws (but a hairy deathclaw is character rape, lol) but not a bunch of lunatics? Same goes for the "druids", which are just a bunch of idiots that decided to worship something. Which also never happened irl...

Like convincing the master with information found through the game, skill checks and not retarded dialogue is the same as convincing Eden that "Come on man, you just have to do this. I mean... really!".

Skill checks just means you've put enough points into Speech, really. Dialogue wasn't much better. your plan is bound to fail and I have evidence' -> 'alright, I'll check with my scientists' -> 'well damn, you're right after all, time to kill myself' . lol, brilliant

Carceri

Arcane
Clockwork Knight said:
Hey guys Fallout 3 is exactly like 1&2, stop whining, Bethesda did not rape anything, the writing is the same, dialogues are identical except Fallout 3 has fewer words, the setting is the same, they did they same shit Black Isle did! Leave Fallout 3 ALONE!!!

Not that your crusade of proving Fallout 3 is on the same level as the prequels it's not particularly lovely, but at some point it tends to be really annoying. Fallout 2 has received the appropriate amount of criticism for the lulzy shit and out of place content that it has, however, despite all this it provides good gameplay and it is still a far superior post-nuclear role playing game than Fallout 3 ever hoped to be. If you really think Bethesda did at least the same job and that Fallout 3 is the next logical addition to the franchise, you are a blathering idiot. Perhaps you missed the fucking shooter out of the rpg, the fantasy induced setting with magical items, the pathetic attempts at humour, the dialogue written by 12 years old kids, the faulty implementation of skills, the illogical load of shit that takes place in the game, the lack of a retro atmosphere etc. Oh, how the fuck can you say that the dialogue is basically the same with the exception in Fallout 1 you just have to do more talking? Perhaps you also missed the fact that maybe the "more talking" makes the dialogue logical and coherent.
But what the hell, maybe I am just a butthurt fallout fan, it is fine, I can live with that, but at the same time you'll probably find more comfort and a warm feeling of belonging on the Bethesda forum.

^lol

Leave Fallout 3 ALONE!!!

Not really what I was saying, but I whatever

however, despite all this it provides good gameplay and it is still a far superior post-nuclear role playing game than Fallout 3 ever hoped to be.... Perhaps you missed the fucking shooter out of the rpg, the fantasy induced setting with magical items, the pathetic attempts at humour, the dialogue written by 12 years old kids, the faulty implementation of skills, the illogical load of shit that takes place in the game, the lack of a retro atmosphere etc.

good thing I wasn't talking about any of that then

Oh, how the fuck can you say that the dialogue is basically the same with the exception in Fallout 1 you just have to do more talking? Perhaps you also missed the fact that maybe the "more talking" makes the dialogue logical and coherent.

Nope. I can write an essay on how the sky tastes like chocolate, doesn't make it more coherent than a sentence saying the same thing.

Whatever. I didn't say 3 is a better game. It's just that praising the previous games and bashing the new one when they do the exact same shit just reeks of blind fanboy. Not that it matters anyway. I didn't expect that much butthurtness. Im not going to weasel out as "lol you've been trolled" , but it seems that it is really easy to troll you.

No, you said C&C is the most important feature to make an RPG complex which is bullshit extraordinaire.

ROLE playing game. As the character, you have to choose between stuff. Rolling dice is there to make sure things go smooth and understandable..

...and what would it be? Skill checks? "If player has 80% speech, he can say Y. If not, he can only X"? That was present in Mass Effect, and I wouldn't call it a complex rpg.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I'm one of those people who only played Fallout 1 and 2 fairly recently, about one year after joining the Codex. And they're not even close to being my favourite RPGs. I much prefer Arcanum, PST and, yes, Morrowind. But even I would say that FO3's writing and setting design is incredibly inferior to FO1 and 2. So it's definitely not "blind fanboyism" to praise Fallout 1 and bash Fallout 3.

Fallout 1 makes sense, as a setting. It's dark and gritty (ZOMG BUZZWORDS), it's relatively realistic, mutants are feared by humans and are violent creatures, but they don't just attack on sight and there aren't fucking HORDES of them around, both Fallout 1 and 2 have infinitely better towns (Fallout 3 has about 2 proper towns, all others are a couple of houses with 4 people living there) and, most importantly, the characters are more believable (neither FO1 nor FO2 had nuka cola collectors, people who like blowing up towns for the lulz, ghouls who feel incredibly butthurt if they're not treated as equal by humans, annoyingly cheerful shopowners who write books as a hobby and plan on PUBLISHING them in a post-apoc wasteland...).

If you cannot see the OBVIOUS differences in writing quality you have to be pretty dumb.

Pliskin

Arbiter
Gerrard said:
Pliskin said:
All the negative trade-offs in perks have been removed.
Perks never had negative trade-offs.

In Fallout 3 Traits have been directly converted into Perks --- with the negative trade-offs removed. (Not to mention, you get one every level-up --- as opposed to every third).

Fucking pedant.

Darth Roxor

Rattus Iratus
Staff Member
Clockwork Knight said:
...and what would it be? Skill checks? "If player has 80% speech, he can say Y. If not, he can only X"? That was present in Mass Effect, and I wouldn't call it a complex rpg.

Rulesets, mechanics and an array of uses for various character abilities and skills. C&C is good for replayability storywise, but an RPG can be great and complex without it without breaking a sweat (SEE: almost any RPG pre-1997), but when you neglect the rulesets and mechanics, you get shit with autoaiming, autohitting, stats that are absolutely irrelevant anywhere outside dialogue et cetera, et cetera.

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
If there was a way to take the fallout scripts/maps and import them into a 3d engine those little bitches would cream themselves and moan "itz heaven" for 2 days while cumming.

How far has gamer dignity fallen. Good for what it is.

DriacKin

Arbiter
poocolator said:
I DONT CARE ABOUT ALL THAT TRIVIAL STUFF
I WANT MORE LP
Well, it's gonna take me <s>less than 3 seconds</s> some time to recover from the emotional trauma of witnessing our father's death.

I recently played through Failout 3 along with all the DLC packs and six gigs worth of mods in a futile attempt to try and enjoy myself... All i got was a critical hit to my head which caused 126 damage, thus crippling it. I'm fine though, cause i went to bed shortly afterwards and woke up completely cured.

Lesson learned: Don't ever play through those idiotic DLC packs... EVER.

Sample from the ever so witty radio: "What rhymes with shoes and gives you the blues? That's right, it's time for the cashews! Errr... that's not right. How about the news?" That's the final straw that made me shoot Three dawg and then uninstall the game. Don't make the same mistake i did, friends.

I'm safe. I boycott F3 because I don't want any GfWL faggotry on my system.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom