Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Watch me play a shitty game (Fallout 3) (COMPLETED!!)

St. Toxic

Arcane
ohgodc.jpg

bhlaab

Erudite
JarlFrank said:
PlanHex said:
Huh, guess I didn't look hard enough for ways through.
Finally something Beth did right.

The game is actually good in case of skill checks during dialogue. But it doesn't really matter because the writing is so horrible, and none of the skill checks make any real sense. Like the [intelligence] dialogue options being really obvious, and most persuasion skill checks being "Would you please stop doing the bad thing you've been doing for years?" - "Oh you're right I should stop, thanks for the advice."

Yeah, for a lot of it the design behind the skill checks is alright, it's just that the writing doesn't hold up.

One thing I don't like is that so many of the Speech paths through quests are just "skip the entire quest with a speech check" So what, am I putting points into Speech to avoid playing the fucking game I bought?

Pliskin

Arbiter
bhlaab said:
JarlFrank said:
PlanHex said:
Huh, guess I didn't look hard enough for ways through.
Finally something Beth did right.

The game is actually good in case of skill checks during dialogue. But it doesn't really matter because the writing is so horrible, and none of the skill checks make any real sense. Like the [intelligence] dialogue options being really obvious, and most persuasion skill checks being "Would you please stop doing the bad thing you've been doing for years?" - "Oh you're right I should stop, thanks for the advice."

Yeah, for a lot of it the design behind the skill checks is alright, it's just that the writing doesn't hold up.

One thing I don't like is that so many of the Speech paths through quests are just "skip the entire quest with a speech check" So what, am I putting points into Speech to avoid playing the fucking game I bought?

Reading is teh HARD --- and walls of text are BORING!

How ironic then, that specializing in the Speech skill actually decreases the amount of dialogue you have to slog through.

Now, if they had only come up with a way to cut down on the critter-spawns-every-10-feet issue. Or the over-flowing ammo cans / first aid kits issue. Or the tons of clutter just laying around for you to find issue.

Wasteland? Moar lik Walmart --- amirite?

KurtH

Liturgist
Pliskin said:
How ironic then, that specializing in the Speech skill actually decreases the amount of dialogue you have to slog through.
:shock:
Forgive my astonishment, but I hadn't expected to meet someone with such a learned outlook of these things.

DriacKin

Arbiter
Part 20 – A Space Odyssey

At the end of the previous episode, we got knocked out and kidnapped by this dude. He then proceeded to take us to the Enclave base and restrain us inside a jail cell.
773.jpg

MainCharacterSmall.jpg
What do you want from us?

774.jpg

Apparently, the Purifier thing that Daddy was working on needs a code to activate.

MainCharacterSmall.jpg
Why do you care about the purifier?

775.jpg

776.jpg

He promises to let us go if we tell him the code.

MainCharacterSmall.jpg
Umm...I guess we could tell him the code. I mean, what harm could it do? Maybe they’ll succeed and get the thing working, and save the world.

i3.jpg
But, Daddy never told us the code. We don’t know what it is.

MainCharacterSmall.jpg
Sure we do.

777.jpg

Since the game has already forced us to sit through Daddy Neeson reciting Revelation 21:6 to us twice, this puzzle should be fairly obvious.

MainCharacterSmall.jpg
So, you let us go now?

778.jpg

He repeats the code to some soldiers over the intercom...

779.jpg

...and they confirm that the code is in fact correct.

i3.jpg
Wait a sec. The password was only 3 digits long? Shouldn’t that have been pretty simple to hack and decipher? Why the hell did he need us to tell it to him?

MainCharacterSmall.jpg
Whatever. So, you’ll let us go now, right?

780.jpg

He then takes out his pistol and shoots us in the chest 3 times.
781.jpg

We then get a Game Over screen. Fallout 3 doesn’t let us side with Colonel Autumn in this situation.
FACT: Our leg clips through the forcefield thing.

MainCharacterSmall.jpg
Hey!! Why’d you shoot us? We told you the password? What was the point in shooting us?

i3.jpg
It’s because he’s EVIL. And shooting us was clearly the EVIL thing to do.

i3.jpg
Hey, wait a second. He just shot you. Aren’t you supposed to be dead?

MainCharacterSmall.jpg
Na. I’m fine. I just reloaded the previous Autosave.

782.jpg

So, this time, we refuse to tell him the code.

He gets mad at us and threatens to beat us up, but...
783.jpg

...conveniently, the head dude interrupts (over the intercom)

After Colonel Autumn has left the room, he speaks to us:
784.jpg

This is President Eden. He’s the head dude of the Enclave as well as the self proclaimed President of the United States.

MainCharacterSmall.jpg
Umm...what do you want with us?

785.jpg

i3.jpg
OMG! You’re gonna tell us that we’re the chosen one, aren’t you?!!

He then releases us from the cell and tells us to head to his office.
786.jpg

Inside the base, we find several Enclave soldiers. They are peaceful to us.

While travelling through the base, we find several futuristic looking things:
787.jpg

Like this. I think that’s supposed to be a Super Mutant floating inside that cell.

788.jpg

And this. I have no idea what this stuff is.

789.jpg

FACT: This is what the video game consoles of tomorrow will look like.

790.jpg

As we’re walking through the base, we hear the Colonel’s voice over the intercom.

791.jpg

i3.jpg
What the hell? How does the Colonel even have jurisdiction to override the President’s orders?

792.jpg

Anyway, this just means that we have to fight a bunch of Enclave soldiers on the way to the President’s office.

On the way there, we also meet:
793.jpg

Anna Holt was one of the scientists working with Daddy on the project.

794.jpg

MainCharacterSmall.jpg
WTF? You helped them?

795.jpg

MainCharacterSmall.jpg
And, you trusted these dudes?

796.jpg

i3.jpg
Dude, are you fucking kidding me? How much more obvious could it be that these guys are the stereotypical villains?

797.jpg

MainCharacterSmall.jpg
:twisted:

798.jpg

MainCharacterSmall.jpg
:twisted:

Anyway, we finally arrive at the President’s office, where we find this gigantic computer:
799.jpg

Notice the flower vase at the right of the computer.

800.jpg

HAL9000Small.jpg
I am quite pleased you were able to make it. The trip was not what I had intended, but serves as and adequate test of your abilities.

801.jpg

Notice how the second choice is grammatically incorrect.

802.jpg

FACT: This never gets old.

HAL9000Small.jpg
Anyway, there are some things I’d like to talk to you about.

803.jpg

HAL9000Small.jpg
The United States has fallen on hard times, but it can be healed.

804.jpg

i3.jpg
We do?

805.jpg

HAL9000Small.jpg
We cannot move forward until humanity has gained a strong foothold in the world.

806.jpg

MainCharacterSmall.jpg
So, what does this have to do with us?

HAL9000Small.jpg
The purifier you father helped create has the ability to provide clean water to the whole Capital Wasteland.

HAL9000Small.jpg
With a simple modification, it can be used to distribute agents that destroy mutated creatures upon ingestion. In time, we could eliminate all mutations in the Wasteland, and help the good people of the world regain their health.

HAL9000Small.jpg
I need you to make the modification necessary for this to succeed.

807.jpg

i3.jpg
Why the hell are you asking *us* to do this? Why don’t you just ask Colonel Autumn or someone like that?

808.jpg

HAL9000Small.jpg
He has allowed his humanity to cloud his objectivity. And now, that he is publicly countermanding my orders, I can no longer rely on him.

i3.jpg
So instead, you’re gonna trust some dude you’ve never met before, who also might suffer from his ‘humanity’ getting in the way? :sigh:

809.jpg

MainCharacterSmall.jpg
So, this stuff is gonna kill every mutant in the city?

810.jpg

811.jpg

i3.jpg
I assure you that we have not become even the least bit sympathetic to any NPC in Fallout 3.

MainCharacterSmall.jpg
Anyway, what exactly are you?

812.jpg

HAL9000Small.jpg
My terminal was installed to oversee the basic functions of this facility, and to act as a relay between other installations across the country.

813.jpg

814.jpg

And, now for the best part of the game. Just in case you didn’t believe Brother None when he talked about it, here it is:
815.jpg

816.jpg

817.jpg

818.jpg

819.jpg

820.jpg

i3.jpg

HAL9000Small.jpg
I cannot stop Colonel Autumn, however. That much will be up to you.

821.jpg

i3.jpg

822.jpg

But, before we leave, we pick up the modified FEV strain that he was talking about.

823.jpg

As we leave the base, President Eden blows up the base like he said he would.

MainCharacterSmall.jpg
:twisted: EXPLOSION!! :twisted:

824.jpg

825.jpg

MainCharacterSmall.jpg
:twisted: EXPLOSION!! :twisted:

826.jpg

Anyway, once we’re outside, we find a familiar face.

MainCharacterSmall.jpg
What the hell are you doing here?

827.jpg

828.jpg

i3.jpg
Wait a second. When the hell did you help us gain our freedom? I’m pretty sure we did all that ourselves.

MainCharacterSmall.jpg
Anyway, what are you gonna do now?

829.jpg

And so, Fawkes becomes our ‘companion’. He follows us around everywhere and kills everything for us so we don’t have to. He wields a Gatling gun that never runs out of ammo.

There are several possible companions in the game, whom I’ve ignored until now. But, I’ve decided to employ Fawkes as our companion, since he’s the most <s>fucking inane and moronic</s> awesome and insightful companion ever.

End of Part 20.

Darth Roxor

Rattus Iratus
Staff Member
801.jpg

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

804.jpg

The power is yours! :tearofcaptainplanet:

815.jpg

You got the touch...

817.jpg

You got the power...

820.jpg

YEAH!!!

So... if you tell the enclave douche the code, he shoots you.

And you die.

No combat or anything.

And it's not like you even know what the fuck Enclave is doing at this point.

I've seen many games which "force" the player to be the good guy but this is just fucking insane.

And more importantly, if you decide to give the code...

Two choices.
TWO FUCKING CHOICES.

WOW THAT SURE IS A HARD FUCKING PUZZLE RIGHT THERE.

Jesus.

And this... ripped-out-from-the-womb-and-blendered attempt at copying confrontation with Master is just... just...

Pliskin

Arbiter
This chapter is chock full o' FAIL!

784.jpg

FACT: All yr worldly goods are to be found in the UNLOCKED locker right next to the door.

789.jpg
dejarik_falcon.jpg

FACT: This is what the video game consoles of tomorrow will look like.

800.jpg

Lamest evil super-computer villain EVAH! Even the animation is teh lame: Really, a blue line that barely even moves? That's it? Damn, even the HAL9000 was creepier then that AND IT WAS JUST A RED LENSE THAT DIDN'T DO SHIT!

827.jpg

You tracked an aircraft moving at 300+ mph to the top of a mountain using nothing but "a little cleverness"? Even Batman has to use a fucking tracking device...

FACT 2: Fawkes is (was?) a chick.

WhiskeyWolf

RPG Codex Polish Car Thief
Staff Member
777.jpg

You know what choice at this point would be awesome. To make a deal with Autumn (low-Karma) - in exchange for the code you would become a high officer of the Enclave. After that make a deal with the President so Autumn would have an accident, if your Science skill would be high enough you could hack the Computer so it would listen only to you. From this point the seat of the Shadow Ruler of the Enclave would be for the taking.

After that you only need to eliminate the BoS, then decide if the mutation and everybody with it should be killed or left alone. From then on you would become the Ruler of the Wasteland, make it green again and.... FFFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU- BETH YOU FREAKING MORONS!!!

MetalCraze

Arcane
So uhm - after the lame piece of shit excuse for a "president" got you freed - they let you walk around the base fully armed considering that some colonel then ordered them to kill you? What the fuck Bethesda

801.jpg

Hahaha oh wow
You need the fucking science skill to tell something that obvious? And what does he mean "I should've guessed as much"? He had a clue?

It's like Bethesda decided to include stupid in every hole of the game. Or Emil is just a retard, which is more likely.

Pliskin

Arbiter
WhiskeyWolf said:
You know what choice at this point would be awesome. To make a deal with Autumn (low-Karma) - in exchange for the code you would become a high officer of the Enclave. After that make a deal with the President so Autumn would have an accident, if your Science skill would be high enough you could hack the Computer so it would listen only to you. From this point the seat of the Shadow Ruler of the Enclave would be for the taking.

After that you only need to eliminate the BoS, then decide if the mutation and everybody with it should be killed or left alone. From then on you would become the Ruler of the Wasteland, make it green again and.... FFFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU- BETH YOU FREAKING MORONS!!!

1410-1-1245371558.jpg

Enclave Commander Mod

Quilty

Magister
I can't find the link, but I remember reading one of those game sites where they were making fun of instagratification tards who don't appreciate good writing. And then they proved their point by using Fallout 3 as an example of said good writing.

:x

Divinity: Original Sin
Man, this main ques feels boring, without purpose. It's the traditional "save the world" quest, but done so horribly, no excitment. It's even worse than the premise from oblivion.

What's the point, the fun, of using this purifier? Why the player should care about this?

Micmu

Magister
[Outdoorsman] Dumbasses had no clue about clue how to implement dialogue skill checks and just wanted to emulate the big guys using [Skill name] inside square brackets to look HARDKORE

St. Toxic

Arcane
This has to end, DriacKin. You need to destroy yourself and this thread.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom