Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Weird West: Definitive Edition - top-down immersive sim action-RPG from Arkane founder Raf Colantonio

Jinn

Arcane
Not sure about the story structure, would have preferred a single character throughout the entire game, but otherwise it looks good.

I was very wary of it myself, until Child of Malkav confirmed there is significant progression shared between the scenarios. As a narrative structure it could be interesting, as long as the gameplay isn't negatively impacted in the process.

gurugeorge

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Arkanes only noteworthy game was Dark Messiah.
Strange way to spell "Arx Fatalis".

But yeah, I get the sentiment. All their games after DM is casual shit.

Dishonored and Prey are good.

Prey was awesome really enjoyed it! Dishonored never interested me though and their newest game looks like shit unfortunately.

Same here, had good times with Prey, but tried Dishonoured and it just didn't gel with me, too fiddly and faffy somehow.

Child of Malkav

Erudite
Yeah, again, golden aces are used to buy perks that are permanent and common to all characters. Nimp relics are used to buy unique abilities specific to each character.
Perks mean: move faster while crouched, higher chance to find more ammo, money, higher chance to not break your lockpick, higher jumping height, more health, better prices in shops, more damage for sneak attacks etc. These are permanent.
So if you have a playstyle you can keep it no matter the character you're playing as, the only difference is what powers you have available as they are unique per character.
Think of it as like playing Emily or Corvo, both have different supernatural abilities but the same natural ones.

Self-Ejected

Zizka

Self-Ejected
Yeah, again, golden aces are used to buy perks that are permanent and common to all characters. Nimp relics are used to buy unique abilities specific to each character.
Perks mean: move faster while crouched, higher chance to find more ammo, money, higher chance to not break your lockpick, higher jumping height, more health, better prices in shops, more damage for sneak attacks etc. These are permanent.
So if you have a playstyle you can keep it no matter the character you're playing as, the only difference is what powers you have available as they are unique per character.
Think of it as like playing Emily or Corvo, both have different supernatural abilities but the same natural ones.
Man, I don’t want to wait. Was the version you played buggy? Would you recommend it?

does it play like commandos/desperados?
No. A cursory look at a gameplay video would give you that answer.

Child of Malkav

Erudite
Man, I don’t want to wait. Was the version you played buggy? Would you recommend it?
It had quite a few bugs but nothing game breaking. Read my previous posts about them. Would definitely recommend playing the beta. You can make your own mind on it afterwards.
But it was interesting to note that ACG in his preview said that he saw no bugs or that were very few which means that they might have fixed them since December when the beta leaked. So the final version might be well polished.

cyborgboy95

News Cyborg
https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/1097350/view/3112557164354458409

Road to Weird West: Episode 5 - The Weird West Never Forgets
fc85ba5f1d01241fe785390a98583c2c001c4337.png

Hi all!

With the launch of Weird West just one week away we'd like to squeeze out one last video in the Road to Weird West video series! This one explores how player actions affect each character's relationship with locations and other characters. The Weird West never forgets...

Weird West launches on March 31st, so don't miss your final chance to pre-order now and get your hands on Calamity, a dependable mule that provides a leg up at the beginning of your adventures by doubling your inventory size, allowing you to escape locations even if enemies are chasing you, and faster travel to avoid missing out on timed objectives.

koyota

Cipher
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is.

Need more play-throughs from people in the Island up North.
Many a True Nerd is far-more endearing than the previous posted review

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
I feel like there should be some study somewhere on how the Western genre is almost guaranteed to produce financial disappointment unless you're Rockstar or something.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
I feel like there should be some study somewhere on how the Western genre is almost guaranteed to produce financial disappointment unless you're Rockstar or something.

Gun did fine for its time and games like Call of Juarez, Desperados, and Hard West did well enough to get sequels. Not a hugely popular genre, but not a dead one either.

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
Gun did fine for its time and games like Call of Juarez, Desperados, and Hard West did well enough to get sequels. Not a hugely popular genre, but not a dead one either.

I suspect that it might be a trap genre like steampunk, where you're guaranteed some interest, but not enough to easily break out into something wildly successful unless you have serious marketing dollars. Or maybe it just hasn't happened yet. We'll see.

Harthwain

Magister
I suspect that it might be a trap genre like steampunk, where you're guaranteed some interest, but not enough to easily break out into something wildly successful unless you have serious marketing dollars. Or maybe it just hasn't happened yet. We'll see.
If you want to get a wild success purely because of the genre then you're doing it wrong. They Are Billions was steampunk and became a massive success, but not because it was steampunky, but because how it handled the gameplay. Another example of a fairly successful steampunk game would be Frostpunk where, again, its main strength was not the genre itself but how it used the setting for gameplay purposes.

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
If you want to get a wild success purely because of the genre then you're doing it wrong. They Are Billions was steampunk and became a massive success, but not because it was steampunky, but because how it handled the gameplay. Another example of a fairly successful steampunk game would be Frostpunk where, again, its main strength was not the genre itself but how it used the setting for gameplay purposes.

Oh yeah, I forgot about Frostpunk and Billions. They did sell pretty well from what I remember.

gurugeorge

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
It's the success and quality of a thing that makes its genre a big thing. It's like, there are lots of genres bubbling around with their own enthusiastic circles, but sometimes something "crosses over" to the mainstream, making that genre temporarily a big thing.

Like CRPGs and Baldur's Gate. And it's the same with music too. Death Crunk (you're welcome) only becomes all the rage when there's a hit in the genre - suddenly everyone knows about it and it's been everyone's favourite genre for years :)

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Good news, the channer-adjacent like it:

Just finished writing my review of Weird West for nichegamer. You old-school CRPG fans are in for a treat, WolfEyeGames and ChrisAvellone did a fantastic job!

Also Avellone gets included in the credits:
FPD9qv0VcAQb2J7

BruceVC

Magister

I love Western theme games and I have played all the Juarez games and of course RDR2

So its a pity they not more popular but I am very interested in Weird West and gamers feedback :cool:

Codex Year of the Donut
Rockstar was the only dev willing to make a spaghetti western.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom