Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline What are you working on?

Jack_Deth

Augur
Patron
Insert Title Here
I was curious when TexasArcane YT channel will upload its next video.

Desiderius

Found your egg, Robinett, you sneaky bastard
Patron
Insert Title Here Pathfinder: Wrath
Has Cleve ever gone into detail about why he hates Wizardry 8?
Because he came up with such an elegant solution to the problems with Wiz7 multiclassing while Wiz8 just nuked it (while leaving it in the game as a suboptimal option to let the unwary nerf themselves).

Owlcat did something similar with P:K/Wrath though there it’s less clearcut/severe.

Cleveland Mark Blakemore

Golden Era Games
Übermensch Developer
Been very occupied with Substack and my new Pip-Boy clone. I found an almost ideal chip to host my initial system on and have been working on a micro build of the original Vault-OS on that device for better part of a month now. At $15.00 it sells itself. I have a pretty impressive web server with full CRUDE (Create-Replace-Update-Delete-Edit) for all tables and data.

Weird how I was preoccupied for years with keeping the size down anticipating a board like this someday and now it has all proved to be very useful.

VAULT-CO COMMUNICATIONS

Was not expecting it but now have over 400+ subscribers, 200+ paid subscriptions and 80+ Founding Members.
Pretty big shock but the perks are intriguing for a lot of people apparently.

VAULT-CO 3.0 : Home of VAULT-SYS TECHNOLOGY

VAULT-CO GITHUB : Latest builds updated here

MartinK

Learned
If you are into lovecraftian setting use midjourney its more advanced than anything else so far in my opinion, does that and post apoc really good... just have to photoshop a few bits to correct some imperfections.
Yeah, like the fact that the table has no fucking legs?! Actually, the cake looks like it's hovering too so can't tell whether its all part of the same intent, or just plain broken.

Get used to it. Current AI art is reaching peak of its abilities and our ability to provide it large anotated datasets to train on. However you just can’t argue with the price in free market environment, so get ready for an avalanche of "horror", "lovecraftian", "used future", "dreamlike" and "anime girl" themed stuff. Also expect the artistic skill of median cashier and janitor to increase significantly.

La vie sexuelle

Learned
If you are into lovecraftian setting use midjourney its more advanced than anything else so far in my opinion, does that and post apoc really good... just have to photoshop a few bits to correct some imperfections.
Yeah, like the fact that the table has no fucking legs?! Actually, the cake looks like it's hovering too so can't tell whether its all part of the same intent, or just plain broken.

Get used to it. Current AI art is reaching peak of its abilities and our ability to provide it large anotated datasets to train on. However you just can’t argue with the price in free market environment, so get ready for an avalanche of "horror", "lovecraftian", "used future", "dreamlike" and "anime girl" themed stuff. Also expect the artistic skill of median cashier and janitor to increase significantly.
This so-called "Lovecraftian" estetique is repetitive enough to easy duplicate by AI. Probably the last original artist in this movement was H. R. Giger. Rest of them looks like AI before AI.

MartinK

Learned
Do you think there are enough blobbers out there to do some machine learing on them? I don’t wanna wait for Cleve to make the game or, ugh, pay him. I wanna type: "lovecraftian, 80 hrs gameplay, miskatonic, masterpiece" to user friendly interface in the morning and have a game ready when I get back home from work.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Do you think there are enough blobbers out there to do some machine learing on them? I don’t wanna wait for Cleve to make the game or, ugh, pay him. I wanna type: "lovecraftian, 80 hrs gameplay, miskatonic, masterpiece" to user friendly interface in the morning and have a game ready when I get back home from work.
Mixing that word combo with "blobber" is asking the AI to work the monkey's paw on you.

Lady Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
Vatnik
Strap Yourselves In
Somebody is working on another spiritual sequel to Wizardry 7 - and this one was started even earlier than Grimoire, in 1993 (with a 30 years hiatus):

Mystic Land: Search for Maphaldo - An old school RPG inspired by the likes of Wizardry 7 and Eye Of The Beholder series teased!​

https://www.indieretronews.com/2023/07/mystic-land-search-for-maphaldo-old.html

We are a small indie software house currently working on retro-inspired RPG "Mystic Land: Search for Maphaldo". It all started back in 1993 when two best friends decided that they wanted to take over the world by writing the best MS-DOS RPG game called "The Mystic Land".

They worked on the game for several years, writing the story, the lore, creating a few tech demos in between, investing their hard earned money in order to create graphics and concept art for the game, and everything looked to be going in the right direction. Even legendary company Sir-Tech (publisher of even more legendary Wizardry RPG series) showed an interest to publish the game in 1994 and morale was high among the two developers.

Sadly though, they were both teenagers back then and life had different plans for them both. And so, Mystic Land project was "shelved" indefinitely.

But, after almost 30 years, the two got back together and decided that given they are both now at the wrong side of their 40s ... it's time to finish what they started. And so, here we are. We are now a group of 5, working tirelessly in order to finally, FINALLY bring Mystic Land to life.

And by the way... we are still determined for it to be the best old school fantasy role playing game ever.
https://www.megavision-software.com

Mortmal

Arcane
Dont believe one sec it will be released ever, but it looks good at least. Hardly anything functional probably but looks good..

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
Somebody is working on another spiritual sequel to Wizardry 7 - and this one was started even earlier than Grimoire, in 1993 (with a 30 years hiatus):

Mystic Land: Search for Maphaldo - An old school RPG inspired by the likes of Wizardry 7 and Eye Of The Beholder series teased!​

We are a small indie software house currently working on retro-inspired RPG "Mystic Land: Search for Maphaldo". It all started back in 1993 when two best friends decided that they wanted to take over the world by writing the best MS-DOS RPG game called "The Mystic Land".

They worked on the game for several years, writing the story, the lore, creating a few tech demos in between, investing their hard earned money in order to create graphics and concept art for the game, and everything looked to be going in the right direction. Even legendary company Sir-Tech (publisher of even more legendary Wizardry RPG series) showed an interest to publish the game in 1994 and morale was high among the two developers.

Sadly though, they were both teenagers back then and life had different plans for them both. And so, Mystic Land project was "shelved" indefinitely.

But, after almost 30 years, the two got back together and decided that given they are both now at the wrong side of their 40s ... it's time to finish what they started. And so, here we are. We are now a group of 5, working tirelessly in order to finally, FINALLY bring Mystic Land to life.

And by the way... we are still determined for it to be the best old school fantasy role playing game ever.

holy shit great find Lady

looks fucking great

Cleveland Mark Blakemore needs to see this

La vie sexuelle

Learned

Looks more like Grimore clone than Wizardry 7.

Cleveland Mark Blakemore

Golden Era Games
Übermensch Developer

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
So now that Steam has banned usage of AI to generate art, what's the plan for your game Cleveland Mark Blakemore
Copyright infringing artwork is of course banned. There's no copyright infringement of any IP in any artwork used in my games.
No, not copyright infringing artwork - ALL stable diffusion/dall-e/midjourney images are banned from being used in Steam games. The situation is very unpleasant right now. Adobe Stock allows selling and buying Stable-Diffusion-made images. You can buy them and legally own them. But Steam won't let you release a game with them, saying you don't legally own them. Two large companies interpret the law differently.

So if you think you're in the clear by generating images that don't show Sonic the Hedgehog, you're simply not up to speed on the recent events.

Steam allows usage of Stable if you're a large company and have acquired your own data set to train the model on, can prove that you have the rights to the data set, and spent 500k to train the model on it. Indies can't use Stable in any capacity.

I have frozen development of my own game that relied heavily on Stable until better times.

Last edited:

Cleveland Mark Blakemore

Golden Era Games
Übermensch Developer
So now that Steam has banned usage of AI to generate art, what's the plan for your game Cleveland Mark Blakemore
Copyright infringing artwork is of course banned. There's no copyright infringement of any IP in any artwork used in my games.
No, not copyright infringing artwork - ALL stable diffusion/dall-e/midjourney images are banned from being used in Steam games. The situation is very unpleasant right now. Adobe Stock allows selling and buying Stable-Diffusion-made images. You can buy them and legally own them. But Steam won't let you release a game with them, saying you don't legally own them. Two large companies interpret the law differently.

So if you think you're in the clear by generating images that don't show Sonic the Hedgehog, you're simply not up to speed on the recent events.

Steam allows usage of Stable if you're a large company and have acquired your own data set to train the model on, can prove that you have the rights to the data set, and spent 500k to train the model on it. Indies can't use Stable in any capacity.

I have frozen development of my own game that relied heavily on Stable until better times.
I have used Wombo for a while. I trained the AI to draw my portraits the way I wanted over a week long period. I spent hundreds of hours giving feedback until it got them right. These Lovecraft portraits figure big in my Lovecraft blobber because they came out so atmospheric. You certain Steam would ban them?

P.S. So far, I have not used a single AI generated piece of artwork in GAMMA ZONE. They're all purchased from artists.

Tygrende

Arbiter

What's stopping you or anyone else from lying about it though? Not like Steam or anyone else can prove your AI generated art is in fact AI generated and wasn't drawn by you or purchased, unless an actual artist whose art was used to train the AI objects and can somehow prove it. If they're going to be dicks about it, might as well be a lying dick yourself. Unless you actually want it to be known it was made with AI, then I get it.

P.S. So far, I have not used a single AI generated piece of artwork in GAMMA ZONE. They're all purchased from artists.
Exactly what I'm talking about.

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
You certain Steam would ban them?
Yeah. You can tell they're AI generated, too.

There's a cutoff date, after which they started doing it, which is recent. It looks like they're not bothering games with AI-images which released before that date, for now anyway. But after that date, nobody gets through.

I've been in touch with indies who got banned and right now steam doesn't seem to be using their own AI to detect AI-generated images. They look at screenshots and then ask where the data set came from.

If you hide those portraits deep enough, i.e. multiple hours into the game + don't show them in the promo, you may be able to fly under their radar. But otherwise, right now it's a firm no go.

Last edited:

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
What's stopping you or anyone else from lying about it though?
Anyone with stable/midjourney experience can tell just by looking, but there's also AI tools that recognize the patterns and can tell.

Zeriel

Arcane
Ai writing ought to be conquered next.

I'd say "never" but unfortunately many people lack discernment, so they may be fooled where I wouldn't be. For example, at this point I can tell any AI image to be an AI image, and find them repulsive, but obviously from all the positive ratings for that post, I am in very limited company in that regard.

PhantasmaNL

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria
Cleveland Mark Blakemore is Vault-Co in the substack beta program for alternative payment methods? If so would you consider enabling this, I want to support Vault-Co but prefer to not use a CC. I read that the beta offers payment using iDeal.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom