Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What are your Unpopular RPG Opinions?

samuraigaiden

Arcane
RPG Wokedex
Comparing RPGs and JRPGs is like comparing a lion and a sea lion. One isn't a lion.

Unwanted

Sweeper

Unwanted
Zionist Agent
That probably is an unpopular RPG opinion, but not on here... Thank God.

Darth Canoli

Arcane
And yet romance is probably the best bellwether for overall decline in RPGs. Nobody with good combat, quests, or exploration in their game has any time for that.

Sex is a part of life and I like when RPGs address it. My problem is when they either get super soap opera dramatic about it, like a lot of Bioware titles, or when they have awkward looking polygon sex scenes.

Fallout 1 & 2 did it right.
ATOM even better, sex scenes were like jokes to collect.
Still, either it's handled well like the two previous examples or i'd rather not have it at all.

So is going to the bathroom.

Made me think about Fallouts obsession with loos, you can even search them.

Last edited:

Piotrovitz

Savant
i've tried to get into legend of grimrock and i've had some success... but i'd probably like it a million times more if it was purely turn-based. grid-based dungeon crawlers really aren't meant to be real time
IMO both have their place and occupy different niches - they're just adding some variety in the blobber sub-genre.

smaug

Secular Koranism with Israeli Characteristics
Patron
Dumbfuck
Insert Title Here
  • Still can't get into Fallout.
  • Infinity Engine and Isometric in general aren't suited for RPG's.
  • HoMM does exploration, magic, skills, and combat better than most RPG's I've played.
  • Exploration should be a vital aspect of RPG's.

pomenitul

Arbiter
I need an explanation for the first and the isometric thing, smaug.

Here you go:

shitposter.png

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
  • HoMM does exploration, magic, skills, and combat better than most RPG's I've played.
  • Exploration should be a vital aspect of RPG's.
:5/5:

• Still can't get into Fallout.
  • Infinity Engine and Isometric in general aren't suited for RPG's.
:1/5:

Exploration, in its broadest sense, is why we play RPGs, wether you know it or nor. Magic is HoMM is incredible.

But for the rest you are a dumb dumb, 0/10 worst user ever, would never read a post again

smaug

Secular Koranism with Israeli Characteristics
Patron
Dumbfuck
Insert Title Here
Don't like the isometric view, I prefer 1st or top down perspective.

Don't like Fallout's setting and it feels awkward to play, (it's combat to.) I'll play it eventually. Not a shitpost.

rpg_ghoul

Literate
Don't like the isometric view, I prefer 1st or top down perspective.

Don't like Fallout's setting and it feels awkward to play, (it's combat to.) I'll play it eventually. Not a shitpost.
Fallout just generally feels bland for me, I've tired Fallout 1 and New Vegas, I know its post apocalypse but damn, boring! If anyone wants my gog keys hit me up. Maybe I'm just what the Codex retards would call a "Fantasy Fag".

Saerain

Augur
Patron
On ARPG popamoles I always preferred Diablo over its sequel. It may be mechanically and technically worse in every way but it just had better feels, and my feels are reals.

MartinK

Learned
Fallout 2 is just a glorified expansion pack that does not deserve the praise it gets. It is worse than the original in almost every aspect, big exception being the follower managment.

Morblot

Aberrant Member | Star Trek V Apologist
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
Contrary to popular belief, the NWN2 OC isn't bad at all. It's good cheesy D&D fun with some memorable side characters and a nice interpretation of the D&D 3.5 rules.

Versive

Literate
Patron
I cannot stand Vancian magic systems. The thought of a level 632 wizard who can only cast three Milquetoast Milven's Most Minor Magic Mello Malarkeys a day after skipping sleep and breakfast in order to reread the same damn book... ugh.

undecaf

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
This is old, but it seems to be unpopular enough...

While combat is often the most fun part of an RPG (often because the game is, sort of, built around that idea from the get go and nobody has really given too much attention on how to counter the lack of it), I do not think that RPG's - strictly speaking - need combat in order to be RPG's. They need various conflict situations to test your character build in some meaningful way to advance the journey/gameplay loop/story, but those need not be combat situations necessarily.

Alex

Arcane
Obviously, RPGs don't need combat to be RPGs and that can be seen clearly in Pencil and Paper games. There are plenty of RPGs that don't focus at all in combat, some of which would be quite ok with resolving any violent situation with a simple skill roll. Even some of the older games didn't focus on combat, as can be seen by Call of Cthulhu, where often a combat situation is actually a losing condition or simply a test to see whether you can escape alive, rather than accomplish anything.

The issue is that combat is something easy to make mechanically interesting while at the same time having important stakes on the resolution. On the other hand, it is also easy to let combat work as a separate game with no role-playing involved, to the point where you might as well be playing a board game rather than a real RPG.

Viata

Arcane
A CRPG that has no combat doesn't work. In a pnp game it works because you, as the player, has the freedom to do whatever the fuck you want(including fighting). In a game, you are still restrict to the small number of actions that the game allows you to do and if the combat is removed, it's pretty much an adventure game, DE is an example of that.

undecaf

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
A CRPG that has no combat doesn't work. In a pnp game it works because you, as the player, has the freedom to do whatever the fuck you want(including fighting). In a game, you are still restrict to the small number of actions that the game allows you to do and if the combat is removed, it's pretty much an adventure game, DE is an example of that.

I don't really care to argue about this topic because I do not want an RPG without combat, but thematically speaking, it really is only a matter of design and creativity on how to utilize and gamify the non-combat aspects in order to rise them to be close to the level of combat as an activity.

You could, basically, have an RPG that is about a man shackled to a wall in a room with no doors or windows, and the gameplay consisted only of his inner struggles on mainaining sanity and figuring out what was going on; if the gameplay consisted of appropriate use of stats and player agency through the different conflicts between sanity and delusion. It might not be the "best" of what the genre has to offer, but it'd be an RPG nonetheless. Just for a quick example.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom