Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News "What can change the nature of a game?" - Torment: Tides of Numenera Kickstarter is LIVE

Hugstari

Educated
After 15 YEARS we got a demo so buggy it makes the original release of Daggerfall look like it was released by Nintendo. And the demo came late.
Them demo is rock solid if you play it on Windows XP. And yes i know the complete game might never come out, but a brother can dream yes?

I wouldn't worry so much. Fargo has proved that he can deliver via the Wasteland Video. That is his real capital as far as I am concerned. If he fails to deliver again its his neck. But I somehow doubt he will neglect this opportunity to demonstrate that he is very professional.

Yeah Wasteland is looking like it coming together pretty good. The gfx are even better then i thought they would be. I guess i'll just buy the game post launch or in the time between Wasteland and Torment. That is if Wasteland turns out good.

mindx2

Codex Roaming East Coast Reporter
Patron
Codex 2012 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire RPG Wokedex Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
This thing is going to make over $1.3m in less than 12 hours! :eek: You have to had it to Fargo, he knows how to sell to grumpy old gamers such as myself... kudos to you sir, kudos!

:bravo:

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
I imagine Brian Mitsoda is again stewing in bitterness because it's reaffirmed that hardly anyone cares about his janky zombie RPG. Snubbed by potential backers, mainstream news sites, and their former coworkers. Guido Henkel moreso.

Feargus Urquhart's also probably wishing he had gone Planescape instead of Plainshit.

jewboy

Arbiter
Colin McComb and Monte Cook were two of the three primary writers for TSR’s Planescape setting. Colin was also a key designer on PS:T, where he worked closely with lead designer Chris Avellone.

Colin McComb (Creative Lead) was a key designer for TSR’s Planescape setting and wrote many products for the Dungeons & Dragons franchise (including the award-winning Birthright Campaign Setting) and Paizo's Pathfinder setting. He worked as a designer on Fallout 2 and Planescape: Torment and was a writer for Wasteland 2. Colin’s self-published work includes the first two books in his Oathbreaker series.

Why is Colin not getting credit as a writer for PS:T? Since the writing is such an important part of this game I would think that is an important point to make.

Colin McComb said:
For the major character dialogues, I based my work on the original dialogues that Chris had created – some of them were just snippets, but they all held the germs of fascinating ideas - because I felt that the game would be better served to move forward with his vision as the signpost. If I misremember anything I’m about to list, I plead the passage of years and the indulgence of my coworkers.
The areas I did included Smoldering Corpse bar and its attendant quests and dialogues, Many-As-One and the Warrens of Thought, the Great Foundry, some of the Lower Ward (John Deiley did most of the other parts), Lothar and the Bones of the Night (though I don’t remember if I did Mantuok), Many-As-One, Curst, Under Curst (and certain dialogue nodes with Vhailor), Carceri. Trias the Betrayer, and Fhjull Forked-Tongue. I helped smooth out certain kinks in the flow of the game, and suggested some of the chaos that might ensue when Curst shifted into Carceri and helped design the mechanic that would allow the player to return the city to the Outlands. I think I did some other stuff too.

I wonder what Dave Maldonado is doing these days. It would be cool if InXile could get him as well.

Aeschylus

Swindler
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Wow, this thing is really a runaway train.

Great job on the pitch and the video Brother None and CMcC. The two things that seem to really sell on KS (in the videos at least) are humor and earnestness, and you guys nailed both. I can see this landing in the 5-6 million range, which would hopefully allow for some spectacular 2d backgrounds, and an unreasonable (unreasonably awesome, that is) amount and depth of narrative.

Cheers to all the folks at inXile. You've warmed my shriveled, blackened heart.

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
I'd think Torment will curve down a lot more steeply than PE did. I don't expect it to hit similar totals.

Brian Fargo ‏@BrianFargo
We passed up the first stretch goal before we could get them up to show. We will have them soon to share.
Haha, it is a little silly but it's true, we'll basically be announcing our first stretch and having passed our first stretch goal at the same time. We'll have more of 'em tho!

Zeriel

Arcane
I'd think Torment will curve down a lot more steeply than PE did. I don't expect it to hit similar totals.

Brian Fargo ‏@BrianFargo
We passed up the first stretch goal before we could get them up to show. We will have them soon to share.
Haha, it is a little silly but it's true, we'll basically be announcing our first stretch and having passed our first stretch goal at the same time. We'll have more of 'em tho!

Maybe... but if you're not aware, even after hitting that 1M cutoff line, you guys still seem to be nailing about 1,000 USD every minute. Personally, I won't rest easy until we have guaranteed 2D backgrounds!

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Why is Colin not getting credit as a writer for PS:T? Since the writing is such an important part of this game I would think that is an important point to make.
BIS and also Obsidian don't use "writers" they have narrative designers.
So roguey. Tell me. Will Torment: ToN bypass PE funding?
Seems very possible given the current rate of funding plus Brian Fargo's record of upselling and holding momentum.

insukk

Augur
Patron
Codex 2012
TRENDING TOWARD

$39,299,382

Yes, inXile, please make a 40-mil Torment game, so my head can explode from all this text-driven awesomeness.

Hugstari

Educated
Isn't that becoming the norm for Kickstarts, well even more of a norm that is. Massive frontloading and then a big send off. I mean how are you supposed to get a steady stream of funders in the middle if the campaign. I do think that the Eternal dungeon thingy that PE did was quite clever though.

jewboy

Arbiter
Another nice thing about the kickstarter funding model is the individuals responsible for the actual creative content seem to be getting a lot more credit than they ever did under the old publisher model. In fact it seemed like the old system made some effort to actually hide who actually did what so as not to create superstars like MCA with as much clout as the developer/publisher themselves.

Wizfall

Cipher
It is easy to say it now but maybe a 24 days campaign (like Shadowrun) would have been enough.
30 days seem awfully long right now.

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
TRENDING TOWARD

$39,299,382

Yes, inXile, please make a 40-mil Torment game, so my head can explode from all this text-driven awesomeness.

40 million buys you quite a lot of text.

P:E got around 1,187 million in 2 days. TToN is already far ahead of it.
Yeah, but I think Kickstarter has become a more settled concept, and word spread faster, especially since we had a very focused, directed press campaign leading up to it (no vague countdowns or anything, just a "this is when it'll happen, get ready"). As such, I think the opening amounts or higher, but the traditional quiet period in between the opening and closing spikes will be lower. You can already see that effect with Dreamfall Chapters.

Maybe if we can mock up a 2D screenshot though, haha.

evdk

comrade troglodyte :M
Patron
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Isn't that becoming the norm for Kickstarts, well even more of a norm that is. Massive frontloading and then a big send off. I mean how are you supposed to get a steady stream of funders in the middle if the campaign. I do think that the Eternal dungeon thingy that PE did was quite clever though.
Sure, but I think that PE trended toward 8M not 40.

himmy

Arcane
P:E got around 1,187 million in 2 days. TToN is already far ahead of it.
As such, I think the opening amounts or higher, but the traditional quiet period in between the opening and closing spikes will be lower.

Your closing party better be damn good. I was there for both DFA and P:E ending parties and there's something about live chat that just makes people forget any sort of financial sense and just throw money to see a number grow. It's like a mini-game in itself.

Hugstari

Educated
Yeah i do think that if they hold there cards right then Torment is going to leave PE in the dust. It might even be possible to get close to Star Citizen numbers.

Rake

Arcane

Brian Fargo ‏@BrianFargo
Release a 2D screenshot at a similar level with P:E and its 500.000$ up. ;)

Project: Eternity
Sure, but I think that PE trended toward 8M not 40.
In first day it trended towards 23 million.
exp-trend.png

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom