Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News "What can change the nature of a game?" - Torment: Tides of Numenera Kickstarter is LIVE

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Let me remind you all that George Ziets is working from home as a contractor. He's got much more flexibility than MCA.

Cynic

Arcane
BROS I've been out of the loop since getting married and shit. Can someone tell me if the engine they are using for WL2 is the same one as they'll be using for PE and also Torment? If so I am fucking cumming buckets.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech
Personally, I'd still rather not see MCA on this. I want to see what inXile will do with this setting themselves. Along with Ziets and Mitsoda of course.

But even if they do, I won't complain if they add lord god MCA.

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Yo BN, tell whoever the person was that thought up the concept that the PC is basically one of the people TNO stole a soul from (I know it's not an actual narrative connection, but thematic) is an absolute genius and no Torment sequel would have ever been accepted without that idea. It's such a good idea people are going to forget how retarded a Torment sequel seemed before they heard it, so make sure it's understood now
That would be CMcC and I agree, the thematic hooks he thought up to tie the Torments together were nothing short of brilliant. I absolutely loved reading his story outline for Torment and while not all of will be revealed during this KS drive, we'll dig a lot deeper into this game's ideas.

I doubt very much that anyone they add wasn't already "on board" since the beginning but InXile knows they can milk those type of announcements for more or higher pledges, right Brother None? ;)
You do coordinate it ahead of time. It's true the stretch goal amount doesn't fit the amount needed to hire a person 1-on-1. It's a combination of PR, realistic goals and good budgeting. It's not pure PR, but there's no denying VIP names and stretch goals go well together.

Lancehead

Liturgist
Personally, I'd still rather not see MCA on this. I want to see what inXile will do with this setting themselves. Along with Ziets and Mitsoda of course.

But even if they do, I won't complain if they add lord god MCA.
Me neither. InXile got their own vision, which sounds promising, and MCA won't be able to contribute much to that, if any.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Would there even be any point in getting Ziets or even MCA as a stretch goal? Surely they are being kept busy over at Obsidian. There are only so many hours in a day. Especially for a creative type. If it weren't for the fact that Ziets himself suggested the idea, I wouldn't pay it any attention at all. If he has time for 2 projects at once then I'm thinking Obsidian isn't making full use of him. I'm starting to think that these employee stretch goals should mention how much of their time (or other work metric) we are buying. Having said that, Ziets would obviously be perfect for this project. After all, he basically already made a PS:T in spirit. It should be old hat for him by now.
MCA is out, he's said he's too busy, InXile said he's too busy. It's just not going to happen.

However, Zeits is just doing contract work for Obsidian, he's not a full time employee.

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Fuck. All $95 slots are already taken. No boxed copy for me. :(
Of course there's a chance that CDProjekt releases a boxed copy here in Poland. Let's hope for that.

Cynic

Arcane
BROS I've been out of the loop since getting married and shit. Can someone tell me if the engine they are using for WL2 is the same one as they'll be using for PE and also Torment? If so I am fucking cumming buckets.
It is the same engine.

But believe me, that does not mean a lot.

Right now it's just a graphixwhore thing but the look and feel of it seems really perfect. MUCH better than the original footage they put out that looked like Plasticine models. Anyway the basis is there if this is what they've got to work with. It's up to them to fuck up and epic fail horribly.

jewboy

Arbiter
Let me remind you all that George Ziets is working from home as a contractor. He's got much more flexibility than MCA.

Oh. Well then maybe Fargo should just hire him on permanently as a stretch goal. He's obviously proven himself and has enough of a reputation for Obsidian to use him as a stretch goal. Proven competence and reputation is a pretty good combo. Getting and keeping talent should be the highest priority for any game dev.

As far as employee stretch goals in general I think it's a lot more important then adding more stuff or dumb things like strongholds etc. A good game requires talented people to make it and a game is such a large team effort that I don't think you have as much problem with too many chefs. Still, I was kind of hoping that Obsidian was making use of Ziets full time whether or not he works from home. Judging from Ziets' comment perhaps that is not the case.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Damn Brother None beat me to it. Go back to drinking you corporate slave!

Hugstari

Educated
I'm on the fence. Don't see what was so great about the pitch, sure it was funny but i would have liked to see something resembling the game. At least with Cleve we got a kickass demo and i think he needs the money more. Besides i already got two other middleschool rpg's to look forward to.

Lancehead

Liturgist

Oh. Well then maybe Fargo should just hire him on permanently as a stretch goal. He's obviously proven himself and has enough of a reputation for Obsidian to use him as a stretch goal. Proven competence and reputation is a pretty good combo. Getting and keeping talent should be the highest priority for any game dev.4
Not sure how hiring permanently would work as a stretch goal. If you're hiring on a contract, that's just for the game that's being funded in question. If you hire permanently, him lending talents extends beyond TToN, so I wonder how it can be framed as a stretch goal for this particular game.

Zeriel

Arcane
Watches Torment 2 video. Decides to kickstart Grimoire instead.

:dead:

evdk

comrade troglodyte :M
Patron
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I'm on the fence. Don't see what was so great about the pitch, sure it was funny but i would have liked to see something resembling the game. At least with Cleve we got a kickass demo and i think he needs the money more. Besides i already got two other middleschool rpg's to look forward to.
After 15 YEARS we got a demo so buggy it makes the original release of Daggerfall look like it was released by Nintendo. And the demo came late.

tuluse

Arcane
Brand new kickstarter: InXile to hire Ziets for the rest of his natural life.

mindx2

Codex Roaming East Coast Reporter
Patron
Codex 2012 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire RPG Wokedex Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
mindx2 will not be happy.

I know. :( He's going to be missing out. I should have asked him what tier he wanted and hold one for him. But even now with the KS going so fucking crazy It would probably get taken the second I backed out of it.
Don't fret my friends. I snuck onto a computer at work this morning and grabbed one of the first $250 tier spots. :love:My only dilemma was should I go with the $500 tier, I would really love to have this signed box next to my Wasteland 2 signed box. :hmmm:

But you won't have a PE signed box...unlike me. Kill yourself now. :smug:
Au contraire, mon frère. I did go for the $250 P:E tier... I just forgot that I had along with the WASTELAND DOOMSDAY PREPARATION SURVIVAL KIT :P . :smug:

As a collector I eat these things up. :lol:

:rage:

Yeah well....:looks around the room:....I bet you don't the AD&D Collectors box eh? huh? HUH????
Nah, but I do have a set of the old MERP stuff. Their maps were gorgeous!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom