Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News "What can change the nature of a game?" - Torment: Tides of Numenera Kickstarter is LIVE

Zeriel

Arcane
I am also VERY interested in the Numenera setting. There's some really cool stuff they could do with it. And even MOAR awesome stuff if Ziets and say oh Mitsoda could add to it too.

Yeah, most of my interest for this game is honestly for the sci-fi angle. I really hope they play it up well. All the talk about Torment and philosophy? Kind of turns me off, but this shit looks insanely good. I know I'm not involved in this project in any way and it's kind of dumb for me to be happy that it's succeeded so quickly, but damn, I'm happy.

Kirtai

Augur
Isn't it strange that I'm more interested in inXile's vision of Numenera setting than this whole "F'N TORMENT 2!!1" hysteria?
Not at all. To me, the main draws of the game are the excellently strange setting and a great story that both stand on their own merits. "Torment" is just (hopefully) the label for such games.

evdk

comrade troglodyte :M
Patron
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I am also VERY interested in the Numenera setting. There's some really cool stuff they could do with it. And even MOAR awesome stuff if Ziets and say oh Mitsoda could add to it too.
Which is why I went for the $125 tier. Moar info, hopefully.

almondblight

Arcane
Isn't it strange that I'm more interested in inXile's vision of Numenera setting than this whole "F'N TORMENT 2!!1" hysteria?

Same here, I didn't care about this at all when all we knew about it was that it was a Torment successor. The setting looks good, art is great, the storyline seems interesting and not EPIC!, they imply there will be few if any trash mobs and that most if not all combat will be avoidable. That's what's got me on board.

TwinkieGorilla

does a good job.
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath
I know I'm not involved in this project in any way and it's kind of dumb for me to be happy that it's succeeded so quickly, but damn, I'm happy.

S'not (snot!) dumb at all. Its been a very long time since we've had games to actually look forward to.

~RAGING BONER~

Learned
the actual product is a deep story set in a bizarre new world a.k.a Numenera...the Torment name is just there to sell it...

Frankly I hope this does well so that the Numenera setting can get more games set in it. We need more alien/bizarre world rpgs.

hiver

abyuAsn.jpg

MNIntLj.jpg

TwinkieGorilla

does a good job.
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath
Anyone tracked down any Hi res concept art yet? I really want that sojourner as my desktop.

Zeriel

Arcane
Have there been any reactions from the publishers (EA, Ubi) to the success of these kickstarter projects? Like PE and Torment, and their combined millions?

Imagining Riccitiello frowning furiously at the screen.

Even 5 million is basically nothing to companies like Activision that sell 12 million fucking copies of a 60$ game like Diablo 3. Kickstarter has never been about sticking it to the publishers, getting games we like to play again should be good enough, I imagine.

Capitalism

Educated

You know, I've read your posts in this thread and then something strange happened: whenever I wanted to post something, my fingers started typing either Z-I-E-T-S or M-I-T-S-O-D-A.
After short blackout I've found myself standing in strange dark room with some weird altar. I was covered in someone's blood and it seemed that I had cut "Ziets" and "Mitsoda" on my arms. I don't know what happened, but I guess I need to thank you.

Studio Fawn

Studio Fawn
Developer
The thing is you have to be insane to stop using it. It is so incredibly valuable for market research, never mind the free money.

Ehh, it isn't really market research :P There are pretty large media campaigns behind these things. It is as much 'testing the market' as the launch event for the last halo series :P Except, you don't need to invest more than hiring a concept artist for a few pictures and putting together a video.

I'm afraid of kickstarter being a normal way to do business though. As a way to "kickstart" a company into independence i think it is AMAZING. But large companies sweeping through with large media campaigns every few months as normal way of operating from now on? I think that could get ugly.

I'm talking about in the future of course... it is a trend that this one seems to be setting, but people are taking it pretty well.

Cowboy Moment

Arcane

hiver

“When I’m asked about how to make our games more accessible, I always give the same answer: I don’t care.”​
Brian Fargo

.... fair enough :lol:
I guess Brian, Colin, Kevin and the rest got an answer to that opening question, eh?
:lol:

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
mindx2 will not be happy.

I know. :( He's going to be missing out. I should have asked him what tier he wanted and hold one for him. But even now with the KS going so fucking crazy It would probably get taken the second I backed out of it.
Don't fret my friends. I snuck onto a computer at work this morning and grabbed one of the first $250 tier spots. :love:My only dilemma was should I go with the $500 tier, I would really love to have this signed box next to my Wasteland 2 signed box. :hmmm:

But you won't have a PE signed box...unlike me. Kill yourself now. :smug:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom