Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News "What can change the nature of a game?" - Torment: Tides of Numenera Kickstarter is LIVE

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Any estimate of when the next update with the stretch goals is going to be released upon us mortals?

Probably tonight.

We also added a $275 tier with 500 copies (it's the $250 tier again)

Berekän

A life wasted
Patron
Or maybe they get a bulk discount when sending many copies through the same service?

jewboy

Arbiter
If they have a cheaper method they should announce it. If I really thought that they could ship the game to me in Bogota for $18 (a true miracle) I would be more likely to pony up for a high level physical tier. I want to contribute to the project. Not take from it.

Zeriel

Arcane
Another nice thing about the kickstarter funding model is the individuals responsible for the actual creative content seem to be getting a lot more credit than they ever did under the old publisher model. In fact it seemed like the old system made some effort to actually hide who actually did what so as not to create superstars like MCA with as much clout as the developer/publisher themselves.
It'd be nice if you could choose games by who worked on them. You don't pick a novel or film by who published it after all.

And it wouldn't surprise me if the publishers did try to hide the actual people responsible so they could claim credit as the source. Something that can backfire as EA is currently learning.

Also, it makes it easy to drive down wages. When you're creating products at the big studios that are worth literally billions of dollars in profits, admitting that some individual coder/artist is essential to that project would necessarily increase their wages immensely under the capitalist model. Note the huge compensation disparity between a writer like Stephen King and someone less well-known who puts out equal-quality work.

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
The shipping cost was mostly handled by Brian and Matt I think. They wanted to get creative with it an aggressively push for the lowest cost possible. The problem is Kickstarter doesn't allow for flexible shipping plans. What if someone wants to pay extra to make sure it arrives in countries with somewhat-unreliable mail services? Why would we ask the same of a Canadian as we would a Lao? Kickstarter don't care. Flat rate. We did the best we could, but yes, it contains a realistic calculation of expenses and asking price.

That's a bit evil :capitalism:
Yip, it is.

jewboy

Arbiter
Since it is not taking place on Earth or even in our star system or really even in our galaxy it actually doesn't matter how many years it is set ahead of our future. Even if it were set in the present they could still be a billion years ahead of us in technology.

Riel

Arcane
Reinstalling Planescape Torment, carefully tho, I don't want my saliva to shorcircuit PC.

Aeschylus

Swindler
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Since it is not taking place on Earth or even in our star system or really even in our galaxy it actually doesn't matter how many years it is set ahead of our future. Even if it were set in the present they could still be a billion years ahead of us in technology.
It is set on earth, at least as far as I understand the setting.

Edit: yup, it is. From the Numenera website...
Numenera is a science fantasy roleplaying game set in the far distant future. Humanity lives amid the remnants of eight great civilizations that have risen and fallen on Earth. These are the people of the Ninth World.

Zeriel

Arcane

I was under the impression it _is_ set on Earth, just so far ahead that all the continents have changed, et cetera.

evdk

comrade troglodyte :M
Patron
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Eh? It's on Earth.

Zeriel

Arcane
Voice Acting.. yeh.. I kinda need some amount of this for me to get invested in the game. When it's all text and no voice at all, it take my brain more effort to fully engage. If all the other parts are there (good story, good art etc) then it is easier to get immersed.. but having at least the main parts of the dialog spoken and narrated, makes such a big difference.. it wouldn't need to be every single line of dialog though, that's for sure...

Oh god, how did I miss this before? The backer comments page is going to be a source of endless entertainment. "It take my brain more effort to fully engage."

IT TAKE MY BRAIN.

jewboy

Arbiter
Hehe. Okay. I get it. I didn't read too deeply about the setting. I thought it was set somewhere else. Was it Infinitron who posted Monte Cook's response to the problems with a setting on Earth a billion years from now? I did read that and he wrote:

But here’s my favorite bit. Even by conservative estimates, assuming sub-light speeds, it would take a civilization about 50 million years to colonize the entire galaxy. In a billion years, this could have happened many times over. A billion years is enough time for a civilization to raise to a position of vast power (perhaps even being the seat of a galactic or even intergalactic empire), collapse entirely, and for the Earth to lie fallow for a long time to give rise to yet another civilization. And another. And another. Maybe some of these civilizations aren’t even human.

If I had read it a bit more carefully though I would have gotten that it was still set on Earth with Geo-Engineering to keep an ocean around.

Zeriel

Arcane
Oh god, how did I miss this before? The backer comments page is going to be a source of endless entertainment. "It take my brain more effort to fully engage."

IT TAKE MY BRAIN.
It's obvious that IT ALREADY HAS. Whatever it is.

The body-swapping Master, obviously. When he doesn't use voice-overs, he has a harder time switching bodies.

jewboy

Arbiter
The shipping cost was mostly handled by Brian and Matt I think. They wanted to get creative with it an aggressively push for the lowest cost possible. The problem is Kickstarter doesn't allow for flexible shipping plans. What if someone wants to pay extra to make sure it arrives in countries with somewhat-unreliable mail services? Why would we ask the same of a Canadian as we would a Lao? Kickstarter don't care. Flat rate. We did the best we could, but yes, it contains a realistic calculation of expenses and asking price.

That's a bit evil :capitalism:
Yip, it is.

I'm still skeptical that they can ship anywhere in the world for $12 / $18. If they can I'd like to know their secret.

winterraptor

Cipher
Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera
It's set in a distant future after several civilisations have risen and fallen. The magic runs on Clarke's Third Law. Amount of steampunk unknown, but nanotech is the surer bet here.

Probably anything and everything including the kitchen sink is the surest.

Western

Arcane
Codex 2012 Codex 2014 Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
I don't think we'll have to much to worry about until after the Kickstarter when the combat debate starts, the only horrible thing that will raise it's head until then is romances. Perhaps a Hepler stretch goal to deliver the quality the people demand :troll:

That said my guess is that romances will be in but the tropes will be subverted causing much butthurt, imagine 'Play Misty for Me' but with more tentacles.

winterraptor

Cipher
Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera
I don't think we'll have to much to worry about until after the Kickstarter when the combat debate starts, the only horrible thing that will raise it's head until then is romances.

Do ye like me wee tentacle?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom