Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News "What can change the nature of a game?" - Torment: Tides of Numenera Kickstarter is LIVE

Self-Ejected

Kosmonaut

Lost in Space
Voice Acting.. yeh.. I kinda need some amount of this for me to get invested in the game. When it's all text and no voice at all, it take my brain more effort to fully engage. If all the other parts are there (good story, good art etc) then it is easier to get immersed.. but having at least the main parts of the dialog spoken and narrated, makes such a big difference.. it wouldn't need to be every single line of dialog though, that's for sure...

Oh god, how did I miss this before? The backer comments page is going to be a source of endless entertainment. "It take my brain more effort to fully engage."

IT TAKE MY BRAIN.
Kickstarter comments are an endless stream of human stupidity. From people asking the same questions that are answered on the F.A.Q., on updates and on the front page; posters using inane and stupid names related with a backed game, like Order of the Goat, Champion of the Obsidian Order, etc. Also: backers stubbornly posting links to other Kickstarter projects, when it is discouraged and even disallowed by Kickstarter.

What really irks me, and also what I cannot fathom is why all those dumbfucks use the "Order of the..." shtick, and why it became too popular among Kickstarter backers. That, indeed, take my brian more effort to fully engage.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
What really irks me, and also what I cannot fathom is why all those dumbfucks use the "Order of the..." shtick, and why it became too popular among Kickstarter backers. That, indeed, take my brian more effort to fully engage.

I'm one of the Order people though (Fabulous Paladin of the Obsidian Order). :oops:

It was basically started as a movement to get people to bump up their pledges by 8$. That's pretty much it.

Zeriel

Arcane

I'm one of the Order people though (Fabulous Paladin of the Obsidian Order). :oops:

It was basically started as a movement to get people to bump up their pledges bu 8$. That's pretty much it.

So who at Obsidian started it? WE'LL GET TO THE BOTTOM OF THIS, DON'T YOU DOUBT.

Self-Ejected

Kosmonaut

Lost in Space
Hahahahahaha. Oh OK. Sorry, but it has really come to ridiculous levels. I didn't know that it was done with the purpose of upping or bumping your pledge. To be honest, it looks really really annoying and circle-jerky. And this is from someone who post on the Codex, where most of us are circle-jerk extraordinaries.

OSK

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
All the good shit happened while I was at work. :(

Self-Ejected

Kosmonaut

Lost in Space
Adam Heine is posting on the Kickstarter comments. Unfortunately, you need to navigate through all the drivel that Biodrones and Ordertards post too.

Zeriel

Arcane
The worst I've seen so far is using the comments section of the Torment 2 kickstarter to talk about how good the new Mass Effect 3 DLC is. Really.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Hahahahahaha. Oh OK. Sorry, but it has really come to ridiculous levels. I didn't know that it was done with the purpose of upping or bumping your pledge. To be honest, it looks really really annoying and circle-jerky. And this is from someone who post on the Codex, where most of us are circle-jerk extraordinaries.

Well what it turned into after... whatever. But for the most part most of them like hanging out in the chat (at various kickstarters) and answering people retarded questions (that idiots who cannot read). Don't see a problem with that.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
For Torment I would actually like limited voice acting I think. Not make or break for me though.

Self-Ejected

Kosmonaut

Lost in Space
Limited voice-acting may be a good last (or one of the latest) stretch goals.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Having full voice acting completely locks your dialog (and that is a BAD thing). With no VO (or limited) you can then keep re-writing some parts they you may want to improve upon. What PE is doing is perfect. And hopefully so will Torment (even MORE so).

Zeriel

Arcane
For Torment I would actually like limited voice acting I think. Not make or break for me though.

The "play random greeting on clicking" thing isn't even properly considered voice-acting I think. I'm also okay with first-line-voiceovers for very important characters, but I don't feel it really adds anything to the game either, unless it's done very, very well.

Western

Arcane
Codex 2012 Codex 2014 Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
I think the intention is to do similar flavour voice acting thing to Torment and W2, they won't back the insanity of doing full voice acting in a game with this much writing.

jewboy

Arbiter
The kickstarter website doesn't seem to fully work for me with Firefox in Linux. I was able to pledge, but nothing happens when I click on the "Me" link or the others in that row.

Self-Ejected

Kosmonaut

Lost in Space
Having full voice acting completely locks your dialog (and that is a BAD thing). With no VO (or limited) you can then keep re-writing some parts they you may want to improve upon. What PE is doing is perfect. And hopefully so will Torment (even MORE so).
That's why I said limited. Maybe some key sentences àla "I feel stronger", "Updating my journal", etc.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom