Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News "What can change the nature of a game?" - Torment: Tides of Numenera Kickstarter is LIVE

IDtenT

Menace to sobriety!
Patron
South Africa; My pronouns are: Banal/Shit/Boring
Divinity: Original Sin

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
I'm upping my pledge because inXile are not fucking stupid enough to make a shitty MMO.

:salute:

That's my protest to Mr. Gariott.

DwarvenFood

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Now hand me that Zinger, bitch.
I prefer a Hawaiian burger. Pineapple is good on everything!
Whenever I'm in SA, I love going to Mugg & Bean.
They're okay, massive slices of cake. Bit boring though. Not :obviously:

How's the job hunt going?
Sucks a bit, and it seems you are no longer allowed to shoot your girlfriend if she takes too long on the toilet so we're not sure about the move anymore. If you got any monocle places to recommend, feel free. Think we'll go around christmas again. And to keep stuff on-topic.. uuh.. ZIETS!! yay ^^

Kem0sabe

Arcane
Torment 2 isn't going to use tiled graphics, so don't see how similar mood tools to shadow run are possible.

Hmm, any idea on how mod friendly is the Unity engine overall?

Mod tools no. 2D backrounds yes. Shadowrun video looks better than Wastland's despite having fewer money. Not that W2 looked bad but the truth is 3D CAN"T compaire to well done 2D. At least i haven't seen a game that managed it.
This sunday they will be doing a live developer gameplay walkthrough of the game, can´t wait to see it in action.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Why do people care so much about mods? People can't write, nothing a modder ever made is well written. What's the point?

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Torment 2 isn't going to use tiled graphics, so don't see how similar mood tools to shadow run are possible.

Hmm, any idea on how mod friendly is the Unity engine overall?
I think it depends entirely on how the developer uses it.

Although, I've heard stuff about light maps and how that makes it hard to add assets, but I don't know much about 3d modelling, so it's beyond me.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
There are fan missions for Thief out there that are better than the originals.
New Bethesda games are vastly improved by mods.
I never played any because of the shit engines, but I heard there are good NWN and NWN2 mods.

Modding ability always is a huge plus. Sometimes, you even get modders that are worth a damn.

Hobz

Savant
Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
Why do people care so much about mods? People can't write, nothing a modder ever made is well written. What's the point?

Coming from a fan of Dark Soul who couldn't play the game on PC without the work of a player.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Okay, Lazarus might be the one exception. Usually mods are poorly written otherwise. I can't even stand the Thief missions; they always seem to break the mood.

Usually the problem is the lack of an editor or a guiding vision. Also, if 90% of the mod are consistent and 10% are not, it is so jarring that it just seems unrefined and hard to endure. Well, tastes differ. But mods? Not for me!

I haven't played Lazarus so I didn't think of that when I wrote what I wrote.

Strictly speaking, what does mod support add to the game, other than fan-created content that is hit or miss (often miss)? Determined fans will mod the game anyway, support for mods or not, and the existence of fan-content has no impact on the quality of the game itself.

If anything I'd like a developer to focus his energies on his creation, not on support the minority of fans that might want to alter it (to add nude models and sex animations, if Skyrim is anything to go by).

Shadenuat

Arcane
People can't write, nothing a modder ever made is well written. What's the point?
anime_cry_girl.jpg

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Lazarus had good writing because the main writer for the mod was a brilliant PhD who now teaches at Harvard.

jewboy

Arbiter
I just took a gander at Lazarus. Looks interesting. Is it a decent game by Codex standards?

Mods greatly improved BG2 for me. SCS II, BG2fixpack, and BG2tweaks are all mandatory now for my BG2 playthroughs. Dungeon-be-gone and some of the mods that make Chateau Irenicus much harder and a lot more interesting are very nice as well.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Lazarus is one of the best Ultima games ever made. And it was made by fans who LOVE Ultima. And it shows.

You do need a copy of Dungeon Siege (with the latest patch). It's well liked here by all the Ultima fags here.

Longshanks

Augur
I've gone from initially dismissive to a definite backer. Not for any one promise or feature, but simply because there seem to be good people working on the project who are serious about what they are doing.

And CMcC may be a better fit for creative lead than MCA :eek:.

lophiaspis

Arbiter
I've gone from initially dismissive to a definite backer. Not for any one promise or feature, but simply because there seem to be good people working on the project who are serious about what they are doing.

Same, they have put all my fears to rest. Either Fargo is one hell of a hustler or this truly is an RPG dream team. (probably both)

And CMcC may be a better fit for creative lead than MCA :eek:.

I don't know about that exactly, but I feel much better about this than if it was Obsidian doing it. Look at that sweet statue, now I want to find out what kind of creature that is (Forgotten One?). Could Obsidian even have designed such a visually interesting character? Considering they had the once in a lifetime chance to make ANYTHING they wanted, and all they managed to fumble out was a poor man's Dragon Age... The Wasteland 2 demo also looked better than anything I think Obsidian could do. Even the writing. It wasn't some literary tour de force but nor did it pretentiously try and fail at that as usual with Obsidian. It was more natural and strangely immersive, reminded me a lot of Fallout 1.

Why is Obsidian so mediocre compared to BIS and Troika, and now apparently inXile? Lack of Fargo's pimp hand? Is it just because Sawyer is such a sperging faggot?

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
The Wasteland 2 demo also looked better than anything I think Obsidian could do.

People here were sure, absolutely sure, that Wasteland 2 would look like utter shit, before they saw that demo.

I think you might want to draw conclusions from that occurrence before hastening to judge the quality of Project Eternity.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom