Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News "What can change the nature of a game?" - Torment: Tides of Numenera Kickstarter is LIVE

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Jasede: Modding is the only saving grace for Neverwinter Nights. The Hex C0da, for example, was genuinely excellent.

Duraframe300

Arcane
The Wasteland 2 demo also looked better than anything I think Obsidian could do.

People here were sure, absolutely sure, that Wasteland 2 would look like utter shit, before they saw that demo.

I think you might want to draw conclusions from that occurrence before hastening to judge the quality of Project Eternity.

These statements are all a bit weird considering none of these games are out.

lophiaspis

Arbiter
People here were sure, absolutely sure, that Wasteland 2 would look like utter shit, before they saw that demo.

I think you might want to draw conclusions from that occurrence before hastening to judge the quality of Project Eternity.

They are mediocre tho :)

Duraframe300

Arcane

They are mediocre tho :)

So was InXile before W2, in fact they were way worse (And without the comitment to *RPG's* Obsidian had. Hell they did lots of stupid ios games). And, even though what was shown so far looked good, there's still no proof that these are suddenly flawless masterpieces.

And thats coming from someone thats been pretty positive of W2, since nearly the beginning.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
I've gone from initially dismissive to a definite backer. Not for any one promise or feature, but simply because there seem to be good people working on the project who are serious about what they are doing.

Same, they have put all my fears to rest. Either Fargo is one hell of a hustler or this truly is an RPG dream team. (probably both)

And CMcC may be a better fit for creative lead than MCA :eek:.

I don't know about that exactly, but I feel much better about this than if it was Obsidian doing it. Look at that sweet statue, now I want to find out what kind of creature that is (Forgotten One?). Could Obsidian even have designed such a visually interesting character? Considering they had the once in a lifetime chance to make ANYTHING they wanted, and all they managed to fumble out was a poor man's Dragon Age... The Wasteland 2 demo also looked better than anything I think Obsidian could do. Even the writing. It wasn't some literary tour de force but nor did it pretentiously try and fail at that as usual with Obsidian. It was more natural and strangely immersive, reminded me a lot of Fallout 1.

Why is Obsidian so mediocre compared to BIS and Troika, and now apparently inXile? Lack of Fargo's pimp hand? Is it just because Sawyer is such a sperging faggot?
We didn't see anything from PE yet dumbass, how can you tell that their game will look inferior to W2 or Torment.

lophiaspis

Oh.

The Bishop

Cipher
Considering they had the once in a lifetime chance to make ANYTHING they wanted, and all they managed to fumble out was a poor man's Dragon Age...
It's not that simple. inXile's "I can't believe it's not Fallout!" and "I can't believe it's not Planescape!" kickstarters are very much not anything they wanted. They had to pander to very specific audience and promise a very specific product in order to get that funding. An example of the actual "anything we want" kickstarter would be Shaker and we all know how well people responded to it.

WhiskeyWolf

RPG Codex Polish Car Thief
Staff Member
I've gone from initially dismissive to a definite backer. Not for any one promise or feature, but simply because there seem to be good people working on the project who are serious about what they are doing.

Same, they have put all my fears to rest. Either Fargo is one hell of a hustler or this truly is an RPG dream team. (probably both)

And CMcC may be a better fit for creative lead than MCA :eek:.

I don't know about that exactly, but I feel much better about this than if it was Obsidian doing it. Look at that sweet statue, now I want to find out what kind of creature that is (Forgotten One?). Could Obsidian even have designed such a visually interesting character? Considering they had the once in a lifetime chance to make ANYTHING they wanted, and all they managed to fumble out was a poor man's Dragon Age... The Wasteland 2 demo also looked better than anything I think Obsidian could do. Even the writing. It wasn't some literary tour de force but nor did it pretentiously try and fail at that as usual with Obsidian. It was more natural and strangely immersive, reminded me a lot of Fallout 1.

Why is Obsidian so mediocre compared to BIS and Troika, and now apparently inXile? Lack of Fargo's pimp hand? Is it just because Sawyer is such a sperging faggot?
We didn't see anything from PE yet dumbass, how can you tell that their game will look inferior to W2 or Torment.

lophiaspis

Oh.
Please don't feed the Alt.

IDtenT

Menace to sobriety!
Patron
South Africa; My pronouns are: Banal/Shit/Boring
Divinity: Original Sin
Considering they had the once in a lifetime chance to make ANYTHING they wanted, and all they managed to fumble out was a poor man's Dragon Age...
It's not that simple. inXile's "I can't believe it's not Fallout!" and "I can't believe it's not Planescape!" kickstarters are very much not anything they wanted. They had to pander to very specific audience and promise a very specific product in order to get that funding. An example of the actual "anything we want" kickstarter would be Shaker and we all know how well people responded to it.
Yup. Kickstarter for now is pretty much running on the Nostalgia train of 30-somethings. Don't know if this success will keep up.

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Yup. Kickstarter for now is pretty much running on the Nostalgia train of 30-somethings. Don't know if this success will keep up.

They'll be able to disembark from the Nostalgia Train if the nostalgic games turn out to be good.

IDtenT

Menace to sobriety!
Patron
South Africa; My pronouns are: Banal/Shit/Boring
Divinity: Original Sin

They'll be able to disembark from the Nostalgia Train if the nostalgic games turn out to be good.
Whether the games turn out good or not, it's unlikely that it would influence their ability to kickstart a game they want to make.

Dhralei

Learned
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera
Well there goes more money out of my purse. Kickstarter really does know how to siphon off the money:eek:

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

Whether the games turn out good or not, it's unlikely that it would influence their ability to kickstart a game they want to make.

I disagree. Once people know they can make a good game, many of them will be willing to give them a chance to follow it up with something new.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron

I disagree. Once people know they can make a good game, many of them will be willing to give them a chance to follow it up with something new.

I agree here. People trusted in Wasteland and Torment because they know those type of games, while they don't know inXile's abilities. Once they know those, Kickstarting an original IP should be doable. Time will tell.

mindx2

Codex Roaming East Coast Reporter
Patron
Codex 2012 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire RPG Wokedex Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Just saw this over on GOG.com when reading peoples reaction to this KS: http://af.gog.com/forum/general/torment_tides_of_numenera/page15?as=1649904300

This guy,
07f3fc8b914eb79c8197022f6d72ef164e252052_t.jpg
orcishgamer, seems to think that mobile gaming is just like PC gaming and a KB&M are archaic devices that limit gaming's potential...

e1a27bd378000b8d9813ce7c02db3d2bd506356f_t.jpg

jjsimp: Exactly this. I have seen to many lousy console ports. PC games have been crippled with XBox/PS3 crappy interfaces and crappy graphics. Develop for the PC first. I want to see PC Games take advantage of the PC's superior control (keyboard/mouse) and superior CPU/graphics hardware. Dumb down the PC game to the console. Don't cripple the PC game with the xbox/ps3.

orcishgamer: I imagine people who say this kind of crap trying futilely to play Mechwarrior 4 or some sort of flight game without a joystick or racing without a wheel and the thought greatly amuses me.

Check your KB&M elitism at the door, any old timer will tell you it's not supported by the facts.

e1a27bd378000b8d9813ce7c02db3d2bd506356f_t.jpg

jjsimp:
A flight game/racing sim is a whole different story for using a KB&mouse. Flight requires at least a stick, but preferably HOTAS and rudder pedals. I don't do racing sims, but can see that KB/Mouse is a terrible controller for such. Just like a gamepad without auto-aim is a poor substitute for KB&Mouse on a FPS.

orcishgamer: The point, which you are obstinately missing in order to maintain your PC-is-better worldview, is that KB&M sucks for many things and is pretty much a wash with others.

Keyboards were designed specifically for typing, not gaming, the idea people have that they're some kind of wonderful gaming device is ludicrous, the cardboard overlays we had back in the C64 days were explicit admission that it was so and nothing has changed since then. You can crow about it being great for shooters or whatever if you want, but you'll get your ass handed to you by anyone to plays with a more optimized input (and there's plenty of these).

The fact that so few PC gamers don't bother to buy optimized input simply says that KB&M and the semi-cruddy control and comfort they offer simply doesn't matter to most gamers. Why those same gamers would then turn around and criticize another form of input that they deem "sub-optimal" is beyond me.

Even GOG, supposedly the home of Good Old Games like Torment, SS2, etc. has these type of infestations. :eek:

double-facepalm1.jpg

Just thought is was an amusing conversation and wanted to share with my BROS. :lol:

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
A better input for shooters? WTF?! I also like how he completely ignores the mouse. Might be a troll.

Carrion

Arcane
Patron
A better input for shooters? WTF?!
You mean you don't own even one of these?

xbox-keyboard-controller.jpg

podpost.jpg

splitfish-SFX-Evo-300x300.jpg

I remember seeing some pretty ridiculous "FPS controllers" for the PC in the late 90's or early 2000's, but I guess it says something about their success that the Internet doesn't even have pictures of them.

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
Even GOG, supposedly the home of Good Old Games like Torment, SS2, etc. has these type of infestations. :eek:
GOG is full of retards. What do you expect from a community of people paying for abandonware because they're incapable of setting up an emulator?

CappenVarra

phase-based phantasmist
Patron
Expecting a half-orc to make arguments that make sense is like hiring a half-ogre to repair your watch.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
Gog is pretty much the dictionary definition of hipsters. Buying "antiques" not because they actually understand why they're good, but because it's "cool" to do so.

Kirtai

Augur
A better input for shooters? WTF?! I also like how he completely ignores the mouse. Might be a troll.
Actually, I think he's complaining about the people who claim that KB+mouse are the "BEST EVAR FOR EVERYTHING" and who ignore that different control systems are vastly superior for certain types of games. He mentions flight and racing games but there's also platformers & fighting games which benefit from alternate control systems.

Incidentally, the best input for shooters is keyboard+mouse+joystick. Especially when they support analogue sticks like the Dark Engine and Source Engine games do.

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
Actually, I think he's complaining about the people who claim that KB+mouse are the "BEST EVAR FOR EVERYTHING" and who ignore that different control systems are vastly superior for certain types of games. He mentions flight and racing games but there's also platformers & fighting games which benefit from alternate control systems.

Incidentally, the best input for shooters is keyboard+mouse+joystick. Especially when they support analogue sticks like the Dark Engine and Source Engine games do.

He seems to have mentioned shooters specifically.

Pardon my ignorance, but what does the joystick do in a shooter?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom