Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What game are you wasting time on?

Pablosdog

Prophet
Right now I'm playing MOTB, Just Cause 2 and Mount and Blade Warband

Trying not to finish Motb so quickly.

I can only play Just cause 2 in short spurts, I get very bored of open world games.

Murk

Arcane
Carceri said:
Mikayel said:
Replayed age of wonders 1 as cult of storms, now on age of wonders 2 (currently on death mastery phase), after this i'll probably replay shadow magic.

So far 1 is still my favourite ;(

Yeah AoE1 is a solid game with a nice atmosphere despite its silly sounds and animations. Btw, how long is Shadow Magic's campaign ?

Haha, AoE indeed.

SM is probably shorter in number of missions than AoW2 but each mission is bigger and longer itself, so overall I found I spent more time playing SM than I did AoE2. SM also has a new 'shadow dimension' that has an ongoing global effect and can only be accessed through special warp points. So each map theoretically now has 4 levels to it - surface, underground, caverns, and shadow realm.

The other thing is that Heroes are nerfed a bit (no more +1attack/damage per level, now its +1 attack or +1 damage) and so you don't end up with uber-killers in a like 30 minutes of knocking off level-1 units.

The downside is with the new magic-forge you can create magic items, so with enough patience and time your single hero is a veritable walking death machine. one step forward, two steps back.

POOPOO MCBUMFACE said:
Playing 2, I have both it and SM. Getting to the end of the fire campaign then going to give SM a try.

I'd say good choice, I really hated the way wizard's throne forces you into the magical spheres and races. SM does it a bit too but there's just more variety in missions and races already so things are a bit more interesting. You also play multiple wizards instead of just Merlin.

SM also has more humor to it. You've probably noticed that the writing in the game is pretty terrible in terms of when mission prologue sand epilogues are being spoken, but the actual in-game writing is often humorous and silly. In the life sphere, for instance, you search for some artifacts and one of which is a shield. While looking for it a villager tells you about a man who went to fight a dragon who blasts him with fire, he hides behind the enchanted shield which deflects the flame away from him quite effectively... but the flames were so hot the heat ends up melting him to his armor and killing him anyway. There's maybe 4-5 such events in wizard's throne, but in SM there's like 3 such cases per campaign, usually.

ChristofferC

Magister
ChristofferC said:
Civ4, Deus Ex.
Now it's Civ4 and Betrayal at Krondor (for the first time). Why don't they make games like this one any more? I love the book feel of the game and the minimal hand holding. It's fun to keep your own journal of people and places and quests. It's fun to have to explore the world to find stuff.

Hoodoo

It gets passed around.
Rollercoaster tycoon and LoL, I waste alot of time on LoL :/

Topher

Cipher
I'm messing around with Europa Universallis 3 and I'm about to try out Victoria II for the first time. I've also been playing that King Arthur RPG/Wargame.

Tycn

Savant
M&B Warband multiplayer, Age of Wonders: Shadow Magic campaign, first playthrough of Deus Ex spread out over the past few months. Got an overwhelming backlog of classics too.

spekkio

Arcane
Sacrifice (first time evar, started 2nd playthrough right after the 1st one).
So, yeah - I think it's fucking great.
Best RTS since Starcraft :lol:

Plus it deserves some additional coolpoints for being a game that killed Shiny Entertainment... :salute:

Carceri

Arcane
Mikayel said:
Haha, AoE indeed.

:lol: crap, don't know what happened. It seems it's contagious:
I spent more time playing SM than I did AoE2
Anyway, thank you for the info, I have played AoW SM before, but not the campaign. I was hoping for something epic, but if you say the missions require more time, it's good for me. On the other hand I might give BG1+BG2 another go. I rolled a 98 stat points paladin a short time ago and it's a shame he just sits there.

spekkio

Arcane
ghostdog said:
Outcast with the new HD patch. Pure awesomeness.
Did you encounter any bugs?
AFAIK GoG version of Outcast has (almost) all previous problems fixed: music playing incorrectly, Twon-ha that cannot be mounted, swampy areas and ricefields slowing down the movement rate. Is this correct (did you encounter any of these problems)?

Also: did you encounter any crashes when using the HD-Patch?

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
spekkio said:
ghostdog said:
Outcast with the new HD patch. Pure awesomeness.
Did you encounter any bugs?
AFAIK GoG version of Outcast has (almost) all previous problems fixed: music playing incorrectly, Twon-ha that cannot be mounted, swampy areas and ricefields slowing down the movement rate. Is this correct (did you encounter any of these problems)?

Also: did you encounter any crashes when using the HD-Patch?

I used the dvd version. For this you need to install the unofficial patch 4 and you may also need the music patch to fix some audio problems. Other than that I got some random crashes but they were few. No in-game bugs whatsoever. Look here for more info.

King Crispy

Too bad I have no queen.
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In
I'm currently scraping my fingernails down the chalkboard that is Mass Effect 2.

I hate this game, yet I am driven forward only by the prospect of getting into Miranda's very tight pants.

I'm also constantly amused at the level of dumbing down Bioware has stooped to. Every time I park my ship in orbit of a planet I both laugh and weep a little inside.

empi

Augur
Mainly replaying Grim Fandango. I've been able to keep it a while since I last played it so I can fully appreciate its glory. Everything from the art, the music, the voice acting, the humor, the writing, the plot, the characters, the settings, the puzzles is so good. To good. It's my favourite game evar because it is pure joy to play.
:love:

I'm also playing ADOM on the side. So additive, so good.

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
Mainly replaying BG2. Forgot how long this game is, but since i'm already on chapter 6 might as well just finish it.

I'm also playing some LoL now and then.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Mostly a lot of cheap-o sale games I buy off of Steam. Currently rotating stuff like Nation Red, Faerie Solitaire, Plants v. Zombies, Overlord (game play is moronic but the minions give me a good laugh), and TF2.

Stuff I've been meaning to get back to: Deus Ex, Arcanum, original Fallouts, FO3, Sacred, Divinity, Defense Grid, Titan Quest, Spellforce (haven't played this beyond the tutorial -- picked up for $3)... and eventually maybe Bioshock but I got bored after the first level.

Given that there are a couple of major Steam sales on the horizon there's a good chance a lot of stuff will keep going unplayed.

markec

Twitterbot
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Dead State Project: Eternity Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Arsenal of Democracy with the new Iron Cross expansion has just been installed, I have also been playing the new expansion for Kings Bounty.

Murk

Arcane
Carceri said:
Anyway, thank you for the info, I have played AoW SM before, but not the campaign. I was hoping for something epic, but if you say the missions require more time, it's good for me. On the other hand I might give BG1+BG2 another go. I rolled a 98 stat points paladin a short time ago and it's a shame he just sits there.

It is a bit more epic than Wizard's Throne, tbh. The campaign takes place after the war of the wizards has driven people, namely the empire of humanity, to go all Arcana-phobic and mages are being persecuted left and right. On top of that some strange new force of alien demons are attacking, so the campaign is mostly Merlin trapped in the shadow dimension guiding the remaining wizards in the prime realm to rally together and stop the madness of Phobias' empire (hurr durr) and fight off the Shadow Demons.

I tend to not like the silly plot of the game, but the levels themselves are definitely more epic.

Suchy

Arcane
I'm planning to waste some time on Drakensang 2. Is it worth buying or should I not remove it from an inventory?
I bought Drakensang 1 without demoing it first and it was somewhat disappointing.
Oh and I'm playing GTA4 once in a while. Actually it became kind of enjoyable, after installing first-person mod.

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
StarCraft 2 on the desktop and Septerra Core while away from home. 2nd try on the latter - got to the middle of the game on the first playthrough, a few years ago.

Carceri

Arcane
Mikayel said:
I tend to not like the silly plot of the game, but the levels themselves are definitely more epic.

Ok, I played a bit, maybe a bit more and Jesus Christ, the second map with the elves is HUMONGOUS, but without getting boring. Very good map design there. The item forging really turns your heroes into juggernauts of destruction, yet somehow the AI botches almost every battle if played on automatic. The only exceptions I have seen so far is when you leave a bunch of low level archers defending your castle and the opponent considers that his stacks of higher level units could take it. Fun times.

Archibald

Arcane
If i`m not mistaken on automatic distance is ignored so slow tankish units are better.

Morkar Left

Suchy said:
I'm planning to waste some time on Drakensang 2. Is it worth buying or should I not remove it from an inventory?
I bought Drakensang 1 without demoing it first and it was somewhat disappointing.

Depends on what was disappointing. In Drakensang2 you can now get back to every territory (it´s even necessary) and the storytelling and char-banter is improved (without lovetalk nonsense). Rulesystem is a bit more complex too. Fights are easy most of the time and trashmobs are there (but can be avoided) plus barrelbashing. I definitely recommend playing on hard. Try the demo when out and judge for yourself. Personally it could have been a lot better but I enjoyed it. At least it is a rpg and not an action-game.

Turisas

Arch Devil
Patron
Just waiting for new releases at the moment. Borderlands GOTY (never played the dlc's) and Arcania just might provide enough brainless entertainment until New Vegas gets released.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Trash said:
So, what is the game you're mostly playing now and what do you think of it?

To start this thread off, I'm spending most of my gaming time on Paradox's Crusader Kings with the Deus Vult expansion and the DVIP mod installed. The game honestly has me ensnared so much that I'm even dreaming about it. Haven't had that in years. The game is somewhat of a mix between a medieval sims, strategy and roleplaying game in which you guide a dynasty through the Dark Ages. It also has a tendency to shower all sorts of misfortune over you at the most inopportune moments. Love it, even so much that I started an ironman of it. Masochism incarnated.

For those interested, Root is making an excellent LP of it.

Damn you, Trash! I now started playing CK and it truly is rather gripping.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom