Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What game are you wasting time on?

Tito Anic

Arcane
Shitposter
Divine Divinity 2: Ego Draconis
Age of Decadence
Underrail
Risen
ToME

Bought new laptop so now i am catchin up:lol:

Humppaleka

Cipher
Playing KotOR 1 again. Man this games writing is just bad to mediocre. Some high points here and there, but mostly it's over the top cliche characters with stereotypical settings and black/white thinking. Dunno. Still enjoyable and I can play it for hours straight. Can't wait for KotOR 2 replay.

Stormcrowfleet

Aeon & Star Interactive
Developer
Replaying Shadowrun Dragonfall on very hard. I don't remember it being so infuriating. It's as if the system is so unbalanced and horrible that they decided to throw abstract condition to shit on you (no choice to fight, enemy always starting, having more enemies with taser gun than you have playable character, etc.). It doesn't make it hard in the sense that I have to think better, it just make it tedious in that I have to hope for that good %. The story is good and I like the overall system, but I feel like the combat is horrible and the C&C is mostly illusion of railroading.

Mark.L.Joy

Prophet
Replaying MGSV just larping as operator not really planning on finishing but my impression remains the same as a few years ago, fun game and it's easy to just tranq everyone but there's lots of options and toys I'd rather use and play around with, story lacks cohesion due to the mission format but I don't really care, intro is still boring.

Deflowerer

Arcane
Ultima VII: The Black Gate. I've only ever beaten it once. This time, I'm playing as a woman. I'm not stealing anything, but my companions, their behaviour can only be described as disgraceful. Looting everything. It's crazy how much ahead of its time was and still is in some regards. I find the writing to be hilarious in a charming way. My only beef is the combat. I don't love it.

I'm also trying to play through Yakuza 5 and Yakuza 0 to completion in time for the release of Yakuza 6. Likelyhood of accomplishing this = 0%.

Why Yakuza 0? 6 is mostly a direct continuation of the storyline in 5, so I'd rather play 5, although it's arguably the worst paced and the one with the suckiest story.

Azalin

Arcane
Patron
Finished Homeworld 1&2 Remastered,I only HW1 over 15 years ago so I don't remember a lot about in and can't compare the remastered versions to the originals from a gameplay standpoint but I liked both of them,although 1>2.

Jedi Exile

Arcanum
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Divinity: Original Sin 2 and Dishonoured 2 (same as previous year). Maybe I'll finish them both in 2019 :D

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Ultima VII: The Black Gate. I've only ever beaten it once. This time, I'm playing as a woman. I'm not stealing anything, but my companions, their behaviour can only be described as disgraceful. Looting everything. It's crazy how much ahead of its time was and still is in some regards. I find the writing to be hilarious in a charming way. My only beef is the combat. I don't love it.

I'm also trying to play through Yakuza 5 and Yakuza 0 to completion in time for the release of Yakuza 6. Likelyhood of accomplishing this = 0%.

Why Yakuza 0? 6 is mostly a direct continuation of the storyline in 5, so I'd rather play 5, although it's arguably the worst paced and the one with the suckiest story.
Yakuza 0 on PS4 and Yakuza 5 on PS3. I don't mind. I have my PS3 at one place and my PS4 at another place.

Merlkir

Arcane
Developer
Replaying Shadowrun Dragonfall on very hard. I don't remember it being so infuriating. It's as if the system is so unbalanced and horrible that they decided to throw abstract condition to shit on you (no choice to fight, enemy always starting, having more enemies with taser gun than you have playable character, etc.). It doesn't make it hard in the sense that I have to think better, it just make it tedious in that I have to hope for that good %. The story is good and I like the overall system, but I feel like the combat is horrible and the C&C is mostly illusion of railroading.

LOL, my review from 2015:

"Fuck this game.

The writing's nice and I enjoy the feeling of Shadowrun, there's a good bit of nostalgia going on.
On the bad side, there's a lot. The UI is awful and clunky, the battles take forever and you'll get fucked in every way possible. Coming back from a difficult mission? We'll throw you in an ambush, by yourself, let them have the first shots and give you one medkit and a grenade. Fucking deal with it.

Encounter design is unbalanced, some of them are absolute cakewalk and others I had to replay 10+ times, just to get the lucky die that one time.

Classes are fucking useless - there's a decking or rigging challenge and your main character doesn't meet the requirements? Well fuck you, your rigger who could totally pass can't even attempt it. Why? LOL dunno.

The story and setting and writing are solid, but the systems they run on are terrible and the game is the opposite of fun because of that.

This isn't even hard in that good way, it's just annoying and draining by how clumsy and user-unfriendly it is.

THIS is a director's cut?!"

(You can tell I was quite upset at the time. :) Overall I liked it, but found exactly the same things you pointed out annoying.)

No Great Name

Arcane
Took almost a month due to work and other commitments, but I finally finished Mega Man for the NES and wrote up the usual review for it.

At first it was pretty frustrating, but I grew to enjoy it more as I got used to the controls and started figuring out the enemy patterns. Physics are a bit weird, and some of the platforming sections were ridiculously frustrating (Iceman stage and the first section of Gutsman stage especially), but in retrospect, it wasn't too bad. Boss fights were ridiculously tough as well until I noticed that they had weaknesses to specific weapons, which then made the fights themselves become much more manageable, especially during the boss rush segments in the last few levels of the game. There are a good number of different weapons that you get from defeating the main bosses, but some are pretty useless or are only used to exploit a specific boss' weakness. On the other hand, the Magnet beam is easily the best weapon in the game because it makes any platforming section become completely trivial.

Also, for the longest time I didn't know you could shoot while climbing ladders. Wish I had known earlier as it would've made some of the ladder climbing sections much easier.

16.jpg

7.jpg

17.jpg

I'm playing Super Monkey Ball next because a friend recommended it to me.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
Took almost a month due to work and other commitments, but I finally finished Mega Man for the NES and wrote up the usual review for it.

At first it was pretty frustrating, but I grew to enjoy it more as I got used to the controls and started figuring out the enemy patterns. Physics are a bit weird, and some of the platforming sections were ridiculously frustrating (Iceman stage and the first section of Gutsman stage especially), but in retrospect, it wasn't too bad. Boss fights were ridiculously tough as well until I noticed that they had weaknesses to specific weapons, which then made the fights themselves become much more manageable, especially during the boss rush segments in the last few levels of the game. There are a good number of different weapons that you get from defeating the main bosses, but some are pretty useless or are only used to exploit a specific boss' weakness. On the other hand, the Magnet beam is easily the best weapon in the game because it makes any platforming section become completely trivial.

Also, for the longest time I didn't know you could shoot while climbing ladders. Wish I had known earlier as it would've made some of the ladder climbing sections much easier.

You're clearly new to the series, so you should be spared the wrath of the elders. Mega Man is quintessential playing though, and it's quite weird to hear from someone who's never played them before.

The first MM has a few design quirks (getting the Magnet Beam requiring a strict order of level selection, for example) and is quite tough compared to Mega Man 2, the most popular and well-liked game of the original NES 6.

As to why Mega Man 2 is so popular...

Yellow Demon is such a fun boss fight once you figure out the pattern.

Not sure if sarcasm. There is no "pattern" to figure out with Yellow Demon per se, it's 100% memory test in how to dodge blocks, which doesn't exactly make for good gameplay, especially in a platformer. There is no such fight in Mega Man 2, which I think goes a long way towards explaining why it's so popular.

Mega Man 2 has eight robot masters and a far more versatile arsenal of weapons, and you'll be using those in some very interesting ways. That said, two of them are circumstantial, but you need them for boss fights once you go for Dr. Wily himself. As for which weapons work best against certain robots... think of opposites. What happens when a fast robot is stopped dead in its tracks, for example? (Or what happens if you hit Metal Man with a metal blade?)

One final thing - if you're gonna tackle the other Mega Man games, I suggest you read their manuals before playing. The sequels add new gameplay features that won't be apparent in-game until you accidentally stumble upon them... better to know of them beforehand.

Tehdagah

Arcane
Mega Man 2 has eight robot masters and a far more versatile arsenal of weapons, and you'll be using those in some very interesting ways.
No true, most of the time the saw is the best weapon. Enormous amount of ammo, strong damage, fast, can be shot in all directions and can pass through walls.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
No true, most of the time the saw is the best weapon. Enormous amount of ammo, strong damage, fast, can be shot in all directions and can pass through walls.

I'll admit that it's been a while since I last played it, and the sawblade is a neat weapon, but aren't there also enemies in the game that are almost immune to it as well?

octavius

Arcane
Patron
This is weird, but after playing Might&Magic 1 for the past month I resumed my FRUA campaing (Ray Dyer's Realms West), and for the very first time I noticed how tiny the view window is on FRUA and the Gold Box games:

Forgotten%20Realms%20-%20Unlimited%20Adventures_8.png

No Great Name

Arcane
You're clearly new to the series, so you should be spared the wrath of the elders. Mega Man is quintessential playing though, and it's quite weird to hear from someone who's never played them before.

The first MM has a few design quirks (getting the Magnet Beam requiring a strict order of level selection, for example) and is quite tough compared to Mega Man 2, the most popular and well-liked game of the original NES 6.

As to why Mega Man 2 is so popular...

Yellow Demon is such a fun boss fight once you figure out the pattern.

Not sure if sarcasm. There is no "pattern" to figure out with Yellow Demon per se, it's 100% memory test in how to dodge blocks, which doesn't exactly make for good gameplay, especially in a platformer. There is no such fight in Mega Man 2, which I think goes a long way towards explaining why it's so popular.

Mega Man 2 has eight robot masters and a far more versatile arsenal of weapons, and you'll be using those in some very interesting ways. That said, two of them are circumstantial, but you need them for boss fights once you go for Dr. Wily himself. As for which weapons work best against certain robots... think of opposites. What happens when a fast robot is stopped dead in its tracks, for example? (Or what happens if you hit Metal Man with a metal blade?)

One final thing - if you're gonna tackle the other Mega Man games, I suggest you read their manuals before playing. The sequels add new gameplay features that won't be apparent in-game until you accidentally stumble upon them... better to know of them beforehand.
You're right. I have never played any of the Mega Man games before so I figured I might as well start with the first one. I'll play through the others eventually, but I usually mix up the order of the games I play so I don't play the same type of game back to back. I've found that doing this helps me avoid getting burnt out by any particular genre.

The Yellow Demon fight wasn't that bad for me. I picked up the pattern fairly quickly. Personally, I had a much tougher time trying to figure out how to deal with Fireman without losing too much health.

As for the manuals, I always read them before starting a game out of habit. Shooting while still holding onto ladders is never mentioned in the manual, though it's also my fault for never trying until I had already gotten through most of the game. The manual also mentions holding down to crouch, but it's impossible to do that in game so who knows.

Deflowerer

Arcane
I mean, everything after Mega Man 1 seems pretty easy. I mostly prefer 1, although 2 is great as well. Third is the final good one, after that it's just more of the same, although it's not necessarily a bad thing.

Deflowerer

Arcane
Finally managed to get a Citra version that runs SMT IV at full speed. Needed to do some keyboard adjustments, but plays great so far! Music rocks!

Nathir

Liturgist
Dragonball fighterZ atm. It's fun, although not as good as Guilty Gear.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
Finished Far Cry 3. Awesome writing. Story average. They used movie cliches which hurt part of cinematic sequences. They also tried to make it too simple. (and too much inspired by GTA IV with worse driving)

Also Vaas was awesome character.

Too bad you can't apply that invulnerability injection in the last scene. Might be nice happy end, and only implied the main character is returning as a monster.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Had a go at A Hat In Time, a cutesy 3D platformer where you control a girl in a hat that's trying to get back home on her spaceship that's powered by magical hourglasses with time manipulation properties. After a botched shakedown attempt the hourglasses are lost and scattered across four worlds. While trying to recover them, Hat Girl meets Moustache Girl (no I'm not kidding here) who tries to use the power of the hourglasses to fight crime and become Supreme Ruler.

If you've played Psychonauts, Super Mario 64 and games of that ilk, you'll feel right at home in this one. Gameplay mostly involves running and jumping around collecting stuff. Pons count as currency, balls of yarn are needed for new hats (each hat gives a different ability) and relics unlock exhibits which unlock time rifts which unlock blahblahblahyougettheidea. Like Psychonauts the game is oozing in charm. There's a giant pile of pillows to swim around in, a roomba droid doing the cleaning and cute little interactions you can have with other characters (playing patty-cake with a mobster is one of my favorites), though I was disappointed by how shallow the characters appear to be. Even Hat Girl herself is a Tabula Rasa, her personality and motives (short of wanting to go home) don't even get one second devoted to them in all the time I played the game. But the first (of several) bad points of the game is how much it focuses on the "collect items"-aspect. The second room you enter in the game has far too many counters that do nothing except track your collecting efforts. Other games have done better in masking this element and the game's UI handles this as well, so the redundancy factor is way too high here.

The Big Collectibles of the game number 40 pieces, and early on it's apparent that you get one for completing each level, so one would conclude that there are 40 levels. Yeah... except there are only four worlds to explore. Mafia World is a circular island filled with mobsters, while Battle of the Birds has two groups (flights?) of birds in a movie studio trying to out-do each other in film-making. I didn't reach the other two worlds to get what they're about, but I was finding the repetition of going through each world several times a little annoying. Mafia World is open and inviting for explorers, with very few areas off-limits or only accessible via a one-pretermined path, but yet one can't avoid the fact that playing through Mafia World involves playing the same level several times over, the only difference is that one time where all the water is replaced by lava. In complete contrast Battle of the Birds has different levels each time, but they're corridor-esque levels with little to no options in progress; there is only the One Way, and you must figure out how to traverse it. Nice change of pace, but not an improvement. Throw in little side-levels which amount to nothing but glorified obstacle courses and things start to get dull all too quickly.

My biggest gripe with the game though all centers around the same thing: The controls. First off there's NO customizing the keyboard, so it's the default WASD-shit or fuck off. Normally that's an instant "Fuck You" from me to the developer (because customizing your keyboard controls has been a thing for OVER 30 YEARS!) but this time around I had a controller lying around, so I figured I'd use it on a genuine "console" title for once. Fair enough, until I realized that there are three different control schemes for changing hats, and they're all active simultaneously. Talk about redundancy. Worse than that, the in-game camera is shit. With the mouse I can readjust the camera on the fly and easily see where I'm going or what I should be looking at. But with a controller I'm wasting precious seconds panning the camera slowly around and zooming out to try to see where I'm going, and far too often the camera simply refuses to point where I want it to. Worst of all the controller is no better at handling input commands than a keyboard. The number of times my most basic input commands were promptly ignored if favor of Hat Girl flying off somewhere while trying to pull off a simple jump was mind-boggling. I'll admit that I don't have much experience with console controllers, and while I don't often play these games I'm not bad at them, but I'm not gonna get anywhere if the controls are fighting me at every turn, and the difficulty of the platforming sections starts to climb really quickly once you reach the second world.

Overall I'd only recommend this game to fans of the genre, and even then I don't recommend it at full price.

Last edited:

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Decided to try Realmz(Learned about this old game from felipepe's crpg book project) and got hooked.

Mac or Windows version?
Windows version is apparantly not up to date and has a few bugs, so Mac version is recommended.
But which emulator? Basilisk I have at heard about, but SheepShaver is an alternative.

Last edited:

Kabas

Arcane
Patron
Decided to try Realmz(Learned about this old game from felipepe's crpg book project) and got hooked.

Mac or Windows version?
Windows version is apparantly not up to date and has a few bugs, so Mac version is recommended.
But which emulator? Basilisk I have at heard about, but ShaeepShaver is an alternative.
Windows
I heard about this too and wanted to try the old mac version first, but i couldn't figure out what these emulators didn't like about my laptop, so i gave up.
I didn't encounter anything gamebreaking in my version, some graphic glitches every time someone casts "Hits everyone" spell in mass battles, but i think this is more of a game engine problem with handling a big number of enemies.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom