Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What game are you wasting time on?

BlackGoat

Arbiter
Finished my replay of Half-Life 2 and the episodes. Great set of games. Plays much better in 2019 than it did it in, say, 2010. But man, what a bleak ending. I understand they were planning on a third episode but in the absence of that, lolol holy shit. Like Empire Strikes Back if Return of the Jedi never came out, haha. Literal fade to black as a woman cries over her dad's dead body. What a troll

Last edited:

Dux

Arcane
KINGDOM COME: DELIVERANCE

I'll admit I didn't think I would like this game very much, based on the first half-hour or so of gameplay. Moreover, I didn't think I would like Henry as the protagonist. I rarely like fully-voiced protagonists in RPGs. How wrong I was about him, and how wrong I was about this game.

When Henry's parents are cut down before his eyes, that's when I knew things were about to get real and that this would be no ordinary gaming experience.

This is probably the most immersive game I've ever played, to be honest. The main reason for this - apart from the impeccable world-building - is that the game is quite a slow burn. Everything is gradual. You don't go from being a nobody to a full-fledged warrior in a session or even two. Not in this game. You have to work hard for your rewards and the feeling of going from rags to shining plate is really satisfying. The other thing I appreciated about this game is that it's not really about combat. There's plenty of combat, to be sure, but that's not the focus of the game. The main focus is trying to figure out the medieval world, your place in it and solving problems in a variety of ways. The way you dress can have an impact in the outcome of the situation and that's pretty cool. The characters that you encounter and interact with are often really interesting and multifaceted: from low-born to noble. Even the fetch-quests come across as more fleshed out and deeper than any of the game's competition. The biggest reason for that is due to the detailed and well-realised world that the developers built. It feels real, rugged and complex. Games like Skyrim don't even belong in the same universe as KCD - they're that far apart. Bethesda should really take a good long look at this game and then just retire.

One thing I didn't especially like was the combat. I didn't hate it or anything, mind, and when you're trained up it certainly becomes better but it's never smooth. It's quite awkward. The vomit-inducing camera certainly doesn't help either. Combat en masse is an absolute clusterfuck without equal but maybe that's by design, because it's certainly chaotic enough. Other things like swinging your weapon at unsuspecting foes and seeing it pass right through them - all because you're not technically in 'combat mode' yet - is also quite frustrating. Or when they magically block attacks even though they're facing another direction. The combat is stiff and locked-down, which is problematic at times. Even after 60 hours I never really came to appreciate the combat system, or wanted to delve deeper into its mechanics. I just kept it simple and that worked out too. So it's not a big deal, really.

The game is also quite unoptimised, unfortunately. My 6700K and 1070 should be able to get 60 fps no problem but there were a few areas (mostly bigger towns) where it dipped down to 40 or so. The game looks good but not that good. It's quite similar to ARMA 3 in that regard where it seems almost impossible to get a steady 60 fps throughout. There's always something that'll make the frame rate shit itself. Luckily this was mostly contained to towns and lighting-heavy scenes.

The voice-acting is quite good, the cinematics are nice, the music is pretty decent and the exploration is top notch. Although the world can feel a bit empty at times when you venture outside the towns. Alchemy was also rather fun and engrossing. Just the fact that you're actually required to think to get it right. That can be said for most of the game, honestly.

As for bugs and shit, I didn't really come across much of that. Not a single crash either. I guess I was smart in waiting for the game getting patched to hell and back.

So, yeah, not bad. Not bad at all. Can't wait for the sequel.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Approaching the end of Diablo 2, 1.09, Normal, PlugY, 7 different characters.

Barb whirlwinds down everything in his path (as long as nobody casts Iron Maiden during his dancing).
Amazon had some problems with Baal, but she mowed down the last wave of Baal's minions (which are usually pretty scary) before they could even reach her.
Pally with Zeal and Fanaticism and 74% Block had more problems with the minions, but none with Baal. Usually you have to fight two decoys/simulacrums, but not this time.
The necro is really frustrating to play in the beginning of act V, with enemies so spread out. It feels more like a tedious RTS game than a CRPG with the necro...

Still haven't found a single complete Set, but I've got most of the normal versions of the Uniques now.
It's a bit of a shame that most of them are collecting dust due to using Magic Find items instead.

Squid

Arbiter
Been still playing Dark Souls II: SOTFS and I'm just above 50 hours now. I've beat the required bosses in DLC 1 and I'm looking for the others. I haven't done any of DLC 2. And I got to the final boss of DLC 3 and got annoyed with the waves before him so I went to do DLC 1 first. I didn't even pay attention, I just went with it, so that's why I'm out of order. Once I get back to the main game, I shouldn't have too much left to do. Should be about the same amount of time I spent in Bloodborne + DLC. Dark Souls 1 was a bit shorter I think.

Villagkouras

Arcane
Can anyone recommend me some arcade racers with stronger arcade DNA than Sim? I tried Forza Horizon 3 and it felt too stuck in the no-fun zone for me. Looking for something with more of the Burnout/Dangerous Driving DNA (preferably not like Mario Kart with power ups).

Check Horizon Chase Turbo maybe? It has a lot of rubberbanding, but it's fun. Kinda easy too.

ebPD8PePfC

Savant
Strange Fellow - Combat was so easy I made 3/4 of my forces useless using the poor ai, didn't optimize anything on the remaining team member, and my only strategy is "attack nearest enemy". I won every fight so far. That's the definition of bad combat, at least for this sort of game.

Last edited:

flyingjohn

Arcane

A indie goose stealth game with no quest markers,wall hacks or other aaa bullshit.
It is on the short side unfortunately.

BlackGoat

Arbiter
Trying to get past the first couple hours of Tides of Numenera again before Disco Elysium hits. Man, no game has ever sapped all energy from my body faster than this. Every time I click on an NPC and there's that delay before the dialogue box pops up and then the first block of overwrought text that promises this won't be some simple click-click conversation but rather yet another special snowflake museum exhibit, I feel my life sucking away from me. It's just all so... constant and awful

Verylittlefishes

Sacro Bosco
Patron
Trying to get past the first couple hours of Tides of Numenera again before Disco Elysium hits. Man, no game has ever sapped all energy from my body faster than this. Every time I click on an NPC and there's that delay before the dialogue box pops up and then the first block of overwrought text that promises this won't be some simple click-click conversation but rather yet another special snowflake museum exhibit, I feel my life sucking away from me. It's just all so... constant and awful

Have you tried walking between locations in PoE?

baud

Arcane
Patron
RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Just finished Serious Sam 2 for the first time, it was fun, but some of the boss were just annoying to fight, but I can't put my finger on why. Some of the phase in vehicles were good, others not so much.

Verylittlefishes

Sacro Bosco
Patron
Just finished Serious Sam 2 for the first time, it was fun, but some of the boss were just annoying to fight, but I can't put my finger on why. Some of the phase in vehicles were good, others not so much.

I fucking LOVE this game.

've been promising myself for years to make a rerun with HD remaster.

Verylittlefishes

Sacro Bosco
Patron
I always wanted to play Dark Souls, but the windows port (and my PC) is so broken that I just watched 25 hours-long LP from Eurogamer instead. Tv series of the year for me.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy

The problem isn't always due to the end bosses, but due to the fundamental differences between SSam 2 and... all the other SSam games. I could spend all day going through those, so let's just try to stay on topic here.

The first boss fight (giant gorilla) looks awesome at first, but then you spend the fight killing mooks so that others can kill the boss. Pretty anti-climatic.
The second boss fight (giant wasp cunt with wings) revolves around destroying the recharge stations before taking on the boss itself. A rather tired mechanic, especially since SSam: SE did it already, and even with an insect-themed boss!
The third boss fight (oversized sumo fighter) is actually decent for a SSam game. The destruction of all the scenery as he stomps about adds a nice touch.
The fourth boss (Kleerofski) was annoying, not just because it is based on the same mechanic as the second boss fight, but also because of the whole "Planet Kleer" thing where the most annoying SSam enemy gets the spotlight.
The fifth boss fight (dragon) is probably the worst one of them all. You have to gather ammo for the One Weapon that hurts the boss, while also doing platforming stunts to reach both the ammo and the One Weapon. Repeat as needed. Yawn.
The sixth boss fight (giant robot) is the same as the fifth, except this time you first get the weapon, then the ammo. Otherwise it's the exact same thing. Double yawn.
The final boss (giant fucking pyramid) has a glaring flaw that left me with a bitter taste in my mouth: During the fights leading up to the boss you get a hovertank vehicle. It does X damage and is pretty neat to have. BUT, once the actual fight against the end boss begins, another vehicle is presented (it even looks the same as the original). What the game does not tell you at any point is that this second vehicle does 4X damage, not just X damage. Meaning, that if you were skilled enough to last up until this point with the original vehicle, you will not want to get rid of it, even when another vehicle is presented. Well... that's precisely what the game wants you to do. Get rid of the first vehicle, and hop on the second one.

Now compare it to the known bosses of the other Serious Sam games:

With the exception of Ugh-Zan III needing to be 'damage-stunned' to be finished off, there were no gimmicks involved in SSam FE. He was big, he was bad, he had Really Big Guns. Take your Big Guns and fire them at the Big Bad until it dies.
The bosses of SSam SE were overall pretty fair, even though they tried to introduce their respective themes. The end boss was a bit of a dick as his gimmick was pretty old, but still nothing to complain about, really.
The bosses of SSam 3: BFE were a little gimmicky (especially the end boss) but nowhere near the scale of SSam 2's bosses.

Bottom line: There are a lot of reasons to hate on SSam 2, and they all have to do with the overall tone of the game, not just the end bosses.

Verylittlefishes

Sacro Bosco
Patron

I fucking LOVE this game.

've been promising myself for years to make a rerun with HD remaster.

Of course i mean the 2nd encounter

Ss2 is cartoon shit

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I'm almost done with Darksiders 3. Of the 7 Sins, I have defeated 6. It's a mixed experience, to be honest. I do enjoy the exploration and the stuff you unlock, but the main character is boring when it comes to the story and also feels a bit clunky to control. Don't get me started on the swimming sections. I have enjoyed the boss encounters, which is good.

Other than that, I resumed my Dragon Quest XI playthrough. maxed all graphical settings and then connected the PC to my TV. It looks stunning. It's also a plus that I can use my DS3 as I vastly prefer that controller over the DS4.

I'm also making good progress in Underrail. I'm at 60+ hours and just trying to see as much of the content as my current build allows me to. Great fun and some rage inducing encounters that make you feel great once you beat them.

Swigen

Arbiter
Just finished Man of Medan. Not much of a “game” but I really dig this stuff as a fan of cheesy horror flicks. I’ll play through again to try and save the brats I didn’t the first time around.

Jumped back into Persona 5. High as a kite grinding Mementos.

baud

Arcane
Patron
RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
I've just finished XCOM the bureau (not bad if you ignore the XCOM name, passable combat (fun powers, shiny weapons, weak gunplay), average story that's badly told (I always felt I had missed some part of the story), with hints of a more interesting story buried underneath, but lost in development, interesting for the 60s feel, a few moments with spooky ambiance, some pleasing pieces of worldbuilding)

And I've started playing Tomb Raider the Last Revelation. I've only played the first of the rebooted games in the series and I had only ever played on-rail platforming games before (AssCreed), so the learning curve is steep, but it feels way more rewarding that just press X to climb (the save anywhere helps too). It also can't recognize the PS3 gamepad (well the game detect the left stick and that's it) I'm using on my PC, so it's keyboard-only, which took some time to adapt too.

baud

Arcane
Patron
Finished my replay of Half-Life 2 and the episodes. Great set of games. Plays much better in 2019 than it did it in, say, 2010. But man, what a bleak ending. I understand they were planning on a third episode but in the absence of that, lolol holy shit. Like Empire Strikes Back if Return of the Jedi never came out, haha. Literal fade to black as a woman cries over her dad's dead body. What a troll

I played all the Half-Life games last year-two years ago for the first time and I found Half Life 1 had way more fun combat (more weapons, more enemies), even if it looks worse; in particular I found the gravity gun just a gimmick, funny the first time, nearly useless everywhere else (except that map with Zombies, but still not fun). The parts outside of combat in HF2 are better made, but I wasn't really interested in them ("What? I have to stand there and wait for the pseudo-cutscene to finish? Fuck you game!")

Cael

Arcane
After a round or 12 of Master of Magic, I am back in the mood for another IWD2 run.

Currently choosing between a few parties:
The Drow Party
1 fighter 2/wizard x
1 paladin 1/cleric ilmater x
1 monk 1/cleric bane x
2 sorcerers x
1 druid x

or

The Human Party
1 fighter 2/ranger 1/barbarian 1/druid x
1 fighter 1/paladin 1/wizard x
2 paladin 1/sorcerer x
1 monk 1/cleric bane x

or

Throw it to the Codex to come up with 6 characters to make a party.

What do you guys think?

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Completed Diablo 2: LOD 1.09 Normal with PlugY playing all seven characters.

All characters are fun to play except the Necro. Summoning and Curses is just too much micro-management, since you have to raise new skellies all the time. The other options for the necro don't look much better, though, except maybe Corpse Explosion. So maybe I'll go with the CE+Amplify Damage if I continue this character.

The other characters:
Barbarian with Sword and Whirlwind.
"Bowazon"
Paladin with Zeal and Fanatacism
Sorceress with Blizzard and Frozen Orb
Dual wielding Assassin with Tiger or Phoenix Strike as charge-up. In 1.09 you can't use Venom and Speed Burst at the same time, which is annoying. This must have been changed in a later patch, since I've seen it as a recommended tactic.
Werewolf Druid.

Found only one complete set: Cleglaw's.

Best Rune found was a Dol.

Cael

Arcane
Completed Diablo 2: LOD 1.09 Normal with PlugY playing all seven characters.

All characters are fun to play except the Necro. Summoning and Curses is just too much micro-management, since you have to raise new skellies all the time. The other options for the necro don't look much better, though, except maybe Corpse Explosion. So maybe I'll go with the CE+Amplify Damage if I continue this character.

The other characters:
Barbarian with Sword and Whirlwind.
"Bowazon"
Paladin with Zeal and Fanatacism
Sorceress with Blizzard and Frozen Orb
Dual wielding Assassin with Tiger or Phoenix Strike as charge-up. In 1.09 you can't use Venom and Speed Burst at the same time, which is annoying. This must have been changed in a later patch, since I've seen it as a recommended tactic.
Werewolf Druid.

Found only one complete set: Cleglaw's.

Best Rune found was a Dol.
Don't do a CE Necro. Big mistake. You will carve through mooks like crazy, but then you run into the lone bosses, and you are fucked.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
After a round or 12 of Master of Magic, I am back in the mood for another IWD2 run.

Currently choosing between a few parties:
The Drow Party
1 fighter 2/wizard x
1 monk 1/cleric bane x
2 sorcerers x
1 druid x

or

The Human Party
1 fighter 2/ranger 1/barbarian 1/druid x
1 fighter 1/paladin 1/wizard x
2 paladin 1/sorcerer x
1 monk 1/cleric bane x

or

Throw it to the Codex to come up with 6 characters to make a party.

What do you guys think?
Not enough barbarians, too many elves.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom