Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

What game are you wasting time on?

Discussion in 'General Gaming' started by Trash, Oct 8, 2010.

1. Dayyālu Arcane

Dayyālu
    I sorta like the graphics mods. Shitton of them, can take your pick. My favourite one is without doubt the one that gives you both hands on the guns.

Because I like seeing both hands on the gats.

Yeh, it's a completely different experience and a fairly punishing one. I mean, SS2's balance is completely out of whack, but a pure PSI run methinks is the hardest way to experience the game. Are you seriously going to go full OSA on Impossible? My hat to ye.

^ Top  
  2. Average Manatee Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

Average Manatee
    Its not too hard if you can survive Engineering with a wrench and cryokinesis for turrets (and really, everyone who doesn't have energy weapons has to figure out how to use a wrench on most things for these areas due to lack of ammo/maintenance tools for the pistol). Aside from that its about not falling for all of the trap psi skills that aren't worth the modules and instead getting a high psi skill ASAP. Well before the start of the Rickenbacker you can be a psi-god with permanent invisibility and hundreds of psi hypos.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2019
    ^ Top  
  3. eXalted Prophet

eXalted
    Last of Us for PS4

If only at least 2% of the RPGs had encounters with as much work put in them as this non-RPG game.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    • Shit Shit x 1
    • what? what? x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. HansDampf Arcane

HansDampf
    No. I've invested a few points in hacking and also unlocked energy weapons. Hacking was needed to disable security and to lower cost of psi hypos. I'm in Hydroponics now, and Cargo Bay seems to be the hardest part that gave me trouble the first time also.

• Balanced Balanced x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. Red Panda The man who leads the way Patron

Red Panda
    La Isla Bonita (together with young Alizee)
    Enjoying Underrail at the moment. Somehow underestimated how good it is, because Codex gets hyped about anything which just vaguely looks like Fallout.
    But exploration is really great.

• Brofist x 4
    • nice x 1
    • Agree x 1
    • incline x 1
    • Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. Max Damage Learned

Max Damage
    Dear RPG Codex, today I learned that oozes can be tripped

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

• Whatever shit you posted didn't load x 5
    • Friendly x 2
    • Funny x 1
    • Interesting x 1
    • Creative x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. FreshCorpse Learned

FreshCorpse
    Wolfenstein: Old Blood. Decent enough game but the PC port is truly awful. Even with exe-renaming hacks there is still a constant 50ms or so of input lag which slowly drives you crazy.

^ Top  
  8. Wyatt_Derp Liturgist

Wyatt_Derp
    Grabbed Fallout 3 during this week's gog sale. Hadn't played it in a couple of years.

I'm missing New Vegas already.

• hopw roewur ne hopw roewur ne x 1
    • decline decline x 1
    • WTF am I reading WTF am I reading x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. Puukko Arcane

Puukko
    Really, what were you expecting?

• Agree Agree x 3
    • sheeple sheeple x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. Abu Antar Tweet, tweet Patron

Abu Antar
    Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    Darksiders III is finally completed. I suppose it was a fun enough game that I got to play via PS+, but I would probably have been disappointed if I'd bought it for more than $20. It has good moments, but I can't shake the feeling like it feels a bit half assed, not intentionally, but it reeks of "I want to be a AAA game, but the budget isn't there" game. I don't know if it wants to be a Zelda-like, a Metroid-like or a Devil Mya Cry-like game. It tries to blend all of these elements, but it doesn't do it better than the games it is trying to emulate. Combat, while decently fun thanks to some enemies, is still fairly simple. Fury also strikes me like a character that should feel nimble, but it feels like you're controlling some fat Codexer that has to do all these agile moves.

Didn't really like the main character. You don't really see the antagonists much, but I did enjoy the boss fights and some of the exploration. I didn't enjoy all of it, though. The interconnected world is cool, I always enjoy that, but some of the exploration was just tedious. Overall, it could be a decent time killer if you just want a comfort food game.

I also completed Zero Escape: Zero Time Dilemma. A visual novel with some puzzles here and there. The game is better than most VNs out there, but the weakest game in the trilogy. I played to get the Platinum trophy, which I unlocked today. I'm planning to get the next game developed by these guys, but I have a few more VNs to complete before that.

• Brofist Brofist x 4
    ^ Top  
  11. Wyatt_Derp Liturgist

Wyatt_Derp
    A momentary distraction, followed by the sting of disappointment. It delivered.

• Funny Funny x 1
    ^ Top  
  12. Puukko Arcane

Puukko
    Hey, I launched Oblivion for 10 minutes again before being put off by everything about it aside from the grafix.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • retadred retadred x 2
    • hopw roewur ne hopw roewur ne x 1
    • not sure if serious not sure if serious x 1
    ^ Top  
  13. CuckMasher Novice

CuckMasher
    Im playing ori which is great. Fun gameplay, good challenge level, gorgeous visuals, and good music. Started up outer worlds but havent gotten anywhere yet. Its not much of an opening hook.

Alo playing a lethal dishonored game which I never did try before.

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    ^ Top  
  14. Ivan Arcane

Ivan
    Courtesy of Xbox Game Pass

Ruiner :1/5:
    Style over substance title that tries to do Hotline Miami but with garbage level design and half baked hub, tacked on "skill" tree. Even the "hyped" soundtrack left me wanting.

Ape Out :5/5:
    Fantastic take on the Hotline Miami formula. Level layouts and enemy placement are procedurally generated as you make your way to the exit. What makes this one special is that it prioritizes player skill and improvisation rather then trial and error memorization. I had an absolute blast with this. It is very short but it was a fantastic experience. The music is the cherry on top. Also, probably my favorite epilogue/credits sequence ever

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    ^ Top  
  15. HansDampf Arcane

HansDampf
    Finished SS2. My original plan didn't work out 100% as I skipped psi tier 4 and went straight to tier 5. Tier 4 had only one skill I was interested in (invisibility), and unlocking that tier just for one skill seemed too expensive. Tier 5 didn't disappoint though, with psi shield, mind control, and also barrier. Barrier is interesting, because it summons a solid block that not only serves as cover but you can also climb onto it. And you can stack them, meaning you could climb as high as your psi hypos take you. I got this skill pretty late and didn't get much chance to try. For example, on the Recreation deck, one of the rooms on the upper floor in crew quarters has a vent that leads back down to the elevator area. Normally you can't get into crew quarters without an access card. But with enough barriers you should be able to climb up that vent. I also wonder if teleport has any good uses apart from saving time, maybe a quick escape to safety in case you get overwhelmed?

Compared to Prey, SS2 is the overall better experience. I love both games, and both games stumble near the end, SS2 more so with its linear final levels. I could also endlessly dissect the balance of weapons and skills and compare those. But I've played Prey with RoSoDude's balance mod that creates a similar resource scarcity as SS2 on Impossible. The key difference, for me at least, is SS2's interface. You have everything you need on one screen, and the game never pauses. Whether you are reading logs, managing your inventory, or even upgrading your skills, the interface will never take you out of the 3D environment, and as a result you are almost never safe. Prey doesn't do that. It has standard separate menus for everything that cover the entire screen, yet another concession to gamepads. Makes me sad.
    Also, SHODAN is obviously a much better villain than the faceless Typhon.

• Brofist Brofist x 7
    • Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  16. Perkel Arcane

Perkel
    Outer Worlds.
    Uninstalled it after about 12 hours.

Obsidian hit papamole bottom.

• decline x 3
    • Salute x 2
    • Brofist x 1
    • popamole x 1
    • Balanced x 1
    ^ Top  
  17. pakoito Arcane

pakoito
    I just saw a speedrun and that's the impression I got. I wouldn't tell the difference with a regular action game like Prey, other than stat usage.

^ Top  
  18. Ivan Arcane

Ivan
    Forgot to add this to my previous post: Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night :3/5:
    It delivered exactly what I was expecting. I was never surprised, nor never truly disappointed. The very definition of "solid" / more of the same. I felt the same way with Guacamelee 2. It's comfort food. You could do a lot better, but you won't hate yourself for experiencing it.

-truly wish we would do away with healing by pausing the game & accessing menus
    -soundtrack did a fine job
    -enemy design was p. weak, with several reskins and some odd (backer influenced) inclusions

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    • not sure if serious not sure if serious x 1
    ^ Top  
  19. Perkel Arcane

Perkel
    Just started Kingdome Come...

It is amazing how first rpg game from small Czech studio is so fucking good. Playing it atm and i can't believe quality of it. From stats to characterization, presentation etc.

It is fascinating that Obsidian can't do anything even close to it.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • incline incline x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  20. PulsatingBrain Huge and Ever-Growing Patron

PulsatingBrain
    I love everything about it. Except the combat. It's fucking horrible. Even when I got pretty good at it, I hated it :negative:

^ Top  
  21. Puukko Arcane

Puukko
    I was eyeing KCD with great interest back when it was first announced but proceeded to not really bother once it actually came out. It should be in pretty good shape in terms of patches and extra content now but I just haven't felt the interest to play a more grounded RPG. Plus I wouldn't have the heart to pirate it. I can see myself getting into it sometime next year though.

^ Top  
  22. ebPD8PePfC Learned

ebPD8PePfC
    Celtic Tales - couldn't get it to work. Hate dosbox, internet archive speed up doesn't work for some reason.

Uncharted Waters II: New Horizons - You play as a sea captain in 1520, exploring the globe in a sandbox-y adventure. You pick one of six characters, get a short intro, and then you're left to your own devices. The game is could be good in theory, but it feels too much like everything you do is navigate through spreadsheets in elaborate ways. The economy is the same old buy low, sell high, which is annoying to deal with because it's hidden behind a lot of cumbersome menus. You get to interact with many factions (Spaniards, Turks, French) , but they all feel identical in everything but the name. The different ports you can find are mostly identical to each other, so exploring doesn't feel too interesting. You can do quests, but they are all boring (deliver letter, deliver goods, destory x pirates), and I suspect they aren't worth the pay.
    The game plays a bit like an RPG, where you pick one of six captains, each with his own unique stats and talents. The stats aren't that interesting, but talents allow you to take different quests, and you can learn new talents from experts who are spread out at the different ports. This part is pretty cool, but for the most part all characters play the same with only the cutscenes being different, as well as the factions that like or hate you. And as I said, all the factions feel the same anyway.
    Maybe it gets better, but the simulation and economy aspects of the game don't really appeal to me, and the RPG elements aren't strong enough. Play Pirates! or The Seven Cities of Gold instead, unless you're really into these sort of open world economy games. Also the dos version is superior because it has mouse support, don't bother with the snes.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2019
    • Brofist Brofist x 2
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    ^ Top  
  23. ERYFKRAD Barbarian Patron

ERYFKRAD
    Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    What you need is Sea Dogs: City of Abandoned Ships

^ Top  
  24. Jimmious Arcane Patron

Jimmious
    Switching between Disco Elysium and Startsector depending if I have the mood for something that makes me think or for some pew-pew.
    They are both great games and especially Disco is one of the most memorable gaming experiences of the last decade , at least.
    Starsector is space sandbox supreme. A bit hard so far for me as a noob, but I'll learn

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  25. Curratum Cipher

Curratum
    I've completely given up on "serious" gaming and have been exclusively been playing digital pinball and a hunting simulator for the past two months. :negative:

• Prestigious x 5
    • Funny x 3
    • Brofist x 1
    • Despair x 1
    • Salute x 1
    • Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.