Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What game are you wasting time on?

Villagkouras

Arcane
Football Manager 2020 Demo - Finished half the season. Gonna wait for a discount to continue my save.

It's on Xbox pass (whatever it's called) thing. I registered to play some Halo with my friends, it's 1$ for the first month and 4$ for every month next. Apart from other games, FM stood out as a pretty good deal, if 2021 pops out I'll keep it just for FM. I don't know if the saves are compatible, probably they are.

Learned
DUSK is exactly what I wanted from the "old school shooter" fad. Really clicked with me unlike Ion Fury and Amid Evil. In fact I had to refund Amid Evil because rebinding keyboard controls didn't work properly, and if you're a sinister lefty who can't use default controls in any game, it's a dealbreaker.

If you briefly tried DUSK but hated the first few maps, I should say it gets a lot better after Episode 1. The gunplay and movement are solid from the get go but it was a huge mistake to make the introductory episode so underwhelming, even if it's for a "there's more to the setting than meets the eye" twist.

playing Divine Divinity

what a great game

:bro:

Citizen

Diablo 2 with path of diablo mod is a great choice for all you looters out there. Highly recommended. Levelling my fire trap assassin rn, would probably respec to shield of blades or martial arts later

Pegultagol

Erudite
I'm playing some Civil War Generals 2, which I think is a pretty good game. Similar to Panzer General, but with more depth, each unit / regiment having a leader influencing different stats including organization and morale, and terrain and visibility being bigger factors.

Edija

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I'm playing some Civil War Generals 2, which I think is a pretty good game. Similar to Panzer General, but with more depth, each unit / regiment having a leader influencing different stats including organization and morale, and terrain and visibility being bigger factors.
You, or anyone that likes similar games, might want to check out Warhammer 40k Armageddon, a really neat 40k Panzer General clone.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
You, or anyone that likes similar games, might want to check out Warhammer 40k Rites of War, a really neat 40k Panzer General clone.

fixed

armageddon is awful :negative:

cosmicray

Savant
Football Manager 2020 Demo - Finished half the season. Gonna wait for a discount to continue my save.

It's on Xbox pass (whatever it's called) thing. I registered to play some Halo with my friends, it's 1$ for the first month and 4$ for every month next. Apart from other games, FM stood out as a pretty good deal, if 2021 pops out I'll keep it just for FM. I don't know if the saves are compatible, probably they are.
I'm on Linux so probably not gonna bother with Live. And no, you can't use save on the next game. Besides, what's the point? You're not supposed to play one team/campaing through several games. Most people skip every other game/season anyway.

curds

Magister
Currently playing Star Wars: KotOR. I'm on Manaan at the moment, after completing Taris and Kashyyyk. Did a decent amount of the content on Dantooine, but left some quests for later too, as I get the impression it's meant to be a sort of hub which I will be returning to throughout the game.

I'm having mixed feelings so far; Taris I found quite boring, but I pushed through easily enough, having done most of the content there before (first time I attempted to play KotOR I got bored to the point of quitting near the end of Taris). Once on Dantooine, I began to find the game more enjoyable - I think the cramped, drab cityscape of Taris hampered my enjoyment somewhat, and I disliked the swoop race minigame (even though it was quite easy, I generally dislike compulsory minigames). Finally becoming a Jedi and getting the lightsabre was satisfying.

I started to enjoy myself quite a lot once I got to Kashyyyk. I liked partaking in the conflict between the wookies and slavers, and that there was even two different sides to choose between within the wookie tribe itself. The Shadowlands gave me a sense of "dungeon-crawling" that I hadn't felt from the game so far (except perhaps the Taris sewers).

Now that I'm on Manaan I'm beginning to feel burn-out coming on. There's just too much focus on running around and chatting to everyone here. I don't mind that in a game like Arcanum, PST or VtMB, but the fact is that KotOR is not particularly well-written.

There's been moments when I thought This is my new favourite popamole RPG, but now what charm the game had over me is wearing thin. I'm determined to finished it however, since I've only finished a measly one game this year.

THE GOOD:
  • Combat is quite entertaining, even if quite simple and lacking in challenge.
  • Plenty of opportunities to use your skills (picking locks, hacking consoles, repairing droids, persuasion, disarming mines).
  • Good amount of optional content. This is something I really value in CRPGs.
  • Graphics are great, considering the game's age.
  • The item upgrade system is pretty fun too, albeit basic.
  • Several quests have been quite enjoyable, such as the Wookies vs slavers conflict on Kashyyyk, or the Vulkars' base on Taris.
THE BAD:
  • Annoying morality system. Got dark-side points for simply using my brain at the Kashyyyk Star-map.
  • Followers randomly interjecting with "so-and-so seems troubled, you should talk to them". Especially dumb when they then tell you "I don't wanna talk about it right now".
  • Followers are poorly-developed, shallow caricatures (True to BioWare form*). I don't care about story or dialogue too much anyway, but considering this game's supposed to be character-driven...
  • Human NPCs have about 5 different faces to choose from, aliens all have the same face. Not a big deal to me, but still.
  • UI is not so great. Not a surprise, considering it's a console port. But it could be worse.

*True to Star Wars form too, I guess.

Chippy

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Just have to mention again how fucking awesome the original Dawn Of War games are. Currently playing Dark Crusade with that mod I posted a few pages back. Why can't we have a Dawn Of War game like this with a full on RPG system in place lfor the heroes?. It doesn't have to have dialogue, or a story.

It makes so much sense. Yet they can't/wont do it. I feel like sobbing uncontrollably now. Killing a few thousand more Tau should help.
:imperialscum:

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
I purchased the Humble Bandai Namco Bundle 4, and got a few games from that. I was really after Katamari Reroll for half the normal price, but a small surprise came in the form of Pac-Man 256, a former freemium mobile game (with microtransactions) now turned 5$-budget game (with no microtransactions).

The concept is as classic as it comes - you are Pac-Man, you eat the pellets and you dodge the ghosts. What 256 does differently is add some minor rogue-like elements. The maze is infinite and is generated randomly, ghosts are randomly placed and come in about eight different flavors or so (and each one behaves differently) and then there are not only power pellets, but also neat power-ups like lasers, freezing the ghosts, giant bombs and a stealth mode that lets you ignore the ghosts entirely. But don't dawdle around because there's a giant glitch eating up the maze from behind, so you gotta constantly move forward.

The game is good fun... for about an hour or so, which is when the magic begins to wane. Gameplay progression is based on Throwing Bodies At The Problem Until It's Solved. By this I mean that the power-ups are unlocked by collecting pellets. What starts out as a simple progression of unlocking power-ups quickly turns into a slogging grind. A couple of hundred pellets needed to unlock the next weapon quickly turns into 20.000 pellets needed. Then the power-ups need to be upgraded, which is where the in-game currency enters the picture. The randomly-generated maze quickly becomes repetetive as it keeps using the same dozen or so "blocks" of maze, and the ghosts are unbalanced. Almost all of them are well-balanced, but the orange ghost (Clyde) is not. His pattern is simple enough: He tries to catch Pac-Man, but when he has the choice to move downwards he always does so. Sounds fair? Nope, because he's the only ghost who always knows where Pac-Man is (even in Stealth mode). Combine this with the isometric layout of the maze and the sometimes narrow corridors that appear, and you'll soon realize that 2/3ds of all your deaths are because Clyde is closing off your only exit.

Because of these elements Pac-Man 256 is a game with a good idea, but an amazingly shallow and lazy implementation of that idea. It's a still a neat game to waste a couple of minutes on at a time, but nothing more. It's barely worth the $5 asking price, but maybe a huge discount on a sale might reveal its true worth.

cosmicray

Savant
Annoying morality system. Got dark-side points for simply using my brain at the Kashyyyk Star-map.
I think it's by design to have dark-side points for Star-map since you're retracing steps of a Sith lord. Dark Side corruption and shit.

curds

Magister
Annoying morality system. Got dark-side points for simply using my brain at the Kashyyyk Star-map.
I think it's by design to have dark-side points for Star-map since you're retracing steps of a Sith lord. Dark Side corruption and shit.

Eh... That's a pretty flimsy excuse. But if that is the design, it's a pretty silly design choice.

Not to mention the way your companions react,
"Oh my God, you'd really let the city be destroyed?!"
No, idiot. The computer literally just told us to answer as Reven would.

baud

Arcane
Patron
RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth

No, you can get that star map without gaining any dark side points, by choosing the light side answers, you just have a fight, after which the map is unlocked.

Last edited:

Nito

Educated
Patron
I've just started playing Shogun 2, and enjoying it a lot. I kind of stopped following the series after Napoleon, a game I really want to like, but often gives me reasons to dislike it after a few hours. This is much better. I might also give Rome 2/Warhammer a look as well.

Krivol

Magister
I'm spending more time on Fortnite that I should. But I can't help it, its fun when you play with friends and I found a website where you can get cheap Fortnite skins so I just roll with it for now lol

200w_d.gif

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
I've just started playing Shogun 2, and enjoying it a lot. I kind of stopped following the series after Napoleon, a game I really want to like, but often gives me reasons to dislike it after a few hours. This is much better. I might also give Rome 2/Warhammer a look as well.
How does it compare to warhammer or three kingdoms? Those are the other two games I've played but I did pick Shogun 2 up when it went free and am thinking about giving it a whirl. Big time investment though, and warhammer has gotten a lot of good updates since I played it last...

Decado

Old time handsome face wrecker
Patron
Codex 2014
I'm playing a lot of Elite Dangerous. Pretty fun game, especially since I'm stuck at home with a lack of scenery changes.

Stormcrowfleet

Aeon & Star Interactive
Developer
Playing Gothic Armada 2 and I think I regret having bought it. It's sad because I would easily love those kind of games.

Jvegi

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Finished ToEE yesterday and I'm pretty disappointed with it. Playing some League right now.

Are there any rpgs that actually work, besides Gothic and things like Deus Ex? I'll give Jagged Alliance 2 a shot because I don't think Wizardry 8 is going to cut it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom