Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What game are you wasting time on?

Wunderbar

Arcane
AND I STILL HAVEN'T FOUND A SINGLE ARMOUR. :argh:
It's like the whole goal of the first part of the game is to be accepted into a faction so that you can buy better armour.

I think you can get some armor prior to joining any of the Camps, but it's not much. Novice's Loincloth for 500 Ore at the New Camp is probably the best out what's available. I can't exactly remember, but looking at your screenshots it seems like you already got Diggers Dress if that's the one you can get for free in the New Camp.

arn.png

Yes, I bought some Digger's Trousers, but in all my exploring I have yet to find a single armour, only Nek's Amulet that gives +5 AC.
armor is a factions thing.

pakoito

Arcane
Patron
I'm in scenario 8 of the first Kingdom Under Fire: Crusaders campaign and I'm not having fun. It's puzzly, which I kind of enjoy, and at the same time it's neither flexible nor enjoyable enough to lose 10+ minutes each retry. I may stop playing unless someone tells me the other campaigns are better.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Seems I've been afflicted with save game corruption in Gothic.
Fortunately it's not game breaking, just annoying when meshes start turning green, and some even purple and blue.
It doesn't seem to be a known problem; searching revealed one person on GOG asking about it and not getting an answer.
I tried reinstalling and using a texture replacer, but no luck. Then I loaded my oldest save game, went to Old Camp and everything looked normal.
Only seems to affect the indoors, things like furniture and torch brackets.

tqAdUC1.jpg

Just guessing but it looks like some kind of debug mode you accidentally activated. Presumably its saved in your save file so no amount of reinstalls or texture changes would fix it, but reloading before you activated it works.

Häyhä

Arbiter
Been playing VIRTUA COP 1 & 2 on an authentic Sega Saturn, with an authentic light gun on a CRT television. And boy, is it brilliant, pinpoint accuracy and no input lag what-so-ever, it's almost a perfect recreation of the actual arcade game at home and I'm loving it having spent so much of my pocket money on it back in the 90s in the arcades.

controllers-attachments-controller-sega-saturn-light-gun-genuine-2_530x.JPG

This guy is playing with the standard controller which obviously sucks donkey balls, but with the actual gun it's something truly magical. (gameplay 4:00 onward)

Last edited:

octavius

Arcane
Patron
I was finally able to join a faction in Gothic.
After I found out that I had to defeat that lazy no good hippie Marlok with a melee weapon (kicking his butt was not enough, and arrows killed him) the rest was easy.

Initially I wanted to join the Old Camp, but after meeting Gomez and his henchmen, who seem to be more concerned about conserving their power than breaking out, I decided the New Camp was for me. But I didn't get anywhere with the spying on the Swamp Camp involving Mordrag and I'm getting tired of pussy footing around. With that new armour Cor Calom gave me maybe I can take on swarms of Black Goblins and Goblin Warriors, and more than one Skeleton at a time.

Last edited:

pakoito

Arcane
Patron
I'm in scenario 8 of the first Kingdom Under Fire: Crusaders campaign and I'm not having fun. It's puzzly, which I kind of enjoy, and at the same time it's neither flexible nor enjoyable enough to lose 10+ minutes each retry. I may stop playing unless someone tells me the other campaigns are better.
The key is the officers.

Allocate a reasonable amount of point to one of them, both if you can, and you should obliterate an entire unit within seconds by simply having both your officers unleash their AoE spell. There is one mission where you must go around the entire map because lvl100 units are guarding the way, and you can actually power through them by cycling your officers' spells while the other friendly group heals as needed, that's how strong officers are.

In fact, between the hero and his officers I almost never destroy an enemy unit through other units, unless extreme rock-paper-scissors situations like archers vs flying creatures. The best job your units will usually do is lock enemies in melee so your hero can come one-shot them. Remember to heal often: the game isn't actually super hard, and even in the harder missions you shouldn't suffer much attrition or straight-up lose entire units... but that depends on you not treating healing as optional.

Keep trying, they are really good, even moreso if you let the plot and characters grow on you (the second games has even more playable characters with their own campaign and point of view), they are often compared to the Warriors series but to me it's actually the Warriors that are a poor man's Kingdom Under Fire. No contest.
Heh I'm actually in the mission with the lvl 100 orcs and only 2 mandatory units. The map takes one of your officers as the lead of the other unit, the one I had leveled ;_____; Going around means cycling through 20 groups of orcs while healing in between. It's just tedious. I tried to pull the whole map with one char and run towards the goal with the other and some script stopped me from reaching it.

I'll try for a bit more, otherwise move to the sequel.

and you can actually power through them by cycling your officers' spells while the other friendly group heals as needed, that's how strong officers are.
The heal spell in this level is 600, my bar is 850 or something like that. I either get officer spam or heal. I don't believe I'm underleveled, I'm like lvl 18 on the main char already.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
I was finally able to join a faction in Gothic.
After I found out that I had to defeat that lazy no good hippie Marlok with a melee weapon (kicking his butt was not enough, and arrows killed him) the rest was easy.

Initially I wanted to join the Old Camp, but after meeting Gomez and his henchmen, who seem to be more concerned about conserving their power than breaking out, I decided the New Camp was for me. But I didn't get anywhere with the spying on the Swamp Camp involving Mordrag and I'm getting tired of pussy footing around. With that new armour Cor Calom gave me maybe I can take on swarms of Black Goblins and Goblin Warriors, and more than one Skeleton at a time.

Old Camp = The establishment
New Camp = Communists
Swamp Camp = Hippies/Antifa/BLM

mk0

Learned
I finished my playthrough of VtM:B the other day. Ran into some technical issues with the game crashing on map changes every so often, but frequent saving solved that problem.

Overall I'd say it was a fun experience even though it felt like the game was barely holding itself together on the gameplay front. I think I broke the AI on the squid boss, although I'm not sure how you're supposed to beat it properly, ended up camping other two bosses on the doorway/stairs too. :?

d1r

Busin 0 Wizardry Alternative Neo fanatic
Patron
I am still trying to finish Kingdom Unde Fire Heroes, but the current state of the port is a big mess. Pathfinding is completely broken and fucks you over in most of the later missions. Besides that, I just don't get it how people can say that Heroes has a better soundtrack than Crusaders. Heroes soundtrack feels heavily underwhelming, less adrenaline pumping, and kinda generic compared to Crusaders'. And oh boy, the voice acting. They completely fucked that up too. They sadly dropped all of the good voice actors from Crusaders, apparently because Heroes plays five years earlier then Crusaders, so they definitely should have all different voices! Bullshit. Sadly, I would heavily advise against buying this game right now, not because of my latter complaints, but because pathfinding makes the game almost impossible to finish. And oh yeah, still no multiplayer. But I guess the meta in MP was kinda boring anyway.

pakoito

Arcane
Patron
I am still trying to finish Kingdom Unde Fire Heroes, but the current state of the port is a big mess. Pathfinding is completely broken and fucks you over in most of the later missions. Besides that, I just don't get it how people can say that Heroes has a better soundtrack than Crusaders. Heroes soundtrack feels heavily underwhelming, less adrenaline pumping, and kinda generic compared to Crusaders'. And oh boy, the voice acting. They completely fucked that up too. They sadly dropped all of the good voice actors from Crusaders, apparently because Heroes plays five years earlier then Crusaders, so they definitely should have all different voices! Bullshit. Sadly, I would heavily advise against buying this game right now, not because of my latter complaints, but because pathfinding makes the game almost impossible to finish. And oh yeah, still no multiplayer. But I guess the meta in MP was kinda boring anyway.
Use Japanese voices, shogun.

d1r

Patron
Use Japanese voices, shogun.

There are none. Just English, French, Korean and German. They all sound kinda bad.

flyingjohn

Arcane
Deep rock galactic,a squad focused fps where you dig for stuff underground and fight insects in a left 4 dead 2 horde style.
I am gonna bait people just with a couple of stuff for a game released in 2020:

-No regenerating health,only shield regenerates.
-No iron sight bullshit.
-No mini map or following markers.The markers you can put only last for a couple of second sand can only mark one thing
-Darkness is a thing and is deadly because of fall damage.You have unlimited flares but they recharge slowly.
-You have to use the map to find hidden shit and to navigate properly.
-You have limited supplies yet enemy waves are unlimited
-Plenty of shit that can harm you.From volcanoes to poison and ice storms.
-Each class is unique in weapons and travelers tools(from a zip line to a grappling hook)
-Weapon upgrades actually change the weapon properties
-No save whatsoever during a mission
-Miss able stuff because you choose a class that can't reach the mineral
-Enemies hurt,and if you are done enough to tank them you will die.

The locations are randomly generated,but it works here,They feel unique enough and don't look so bad.
It ain't the best game or the most hardcore but there is something about running for your life on a zip line carrying alien egg while volcanoes erupt around you.
If you can play with 2-4 people it really becomes fun.Solo you have access to a drone that picks up stuff and fights with you.
Edit:Forgot to mention that you get to craft and drink beers before missions.Some even buff you up and some do stupid shit like make you smaller.
20200705154547-1.jpg

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Reached Chapter 3 in Gothic.

It's funny all the talk about "the sleeper wakens". It's like Gothic woke up in Chapter 2, after the rather sleepy and very slow Chapter 1, at least when playing blind and sitting on the fence as long as possible.
I think I used two weeks on Chapter 1 and two days on Chapter 2.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Reached Chapter 3 in Gothic.

It's funny all the talk about "the sleeper wakens". It's like Gothic woke up in Chapter 2, after the rather sleepy and very slow Chapter 1, at least when playing blind and sitting on the fence as long as possible.
I think I used two weeks on Chapter 1 and two days on Chapter 2.
Yeah, once you find your dudes, you'll find it easy to push on.

Jack Of Owls

Arcane
The thing I most remember about Gothic 1 was that faction of dudes always smoking bud (or the equivalent thereof in that fantasy world) with their hookas. Most memorable thing about Gothic 2 was getting stumped and abandoning it because i missed a very important NPC standing on a hill watching a battle below that I needed to talk to to progress in the story. Most memorable thing about Gothic 3 was one lone tiny goblin locked into immortal combat with a group of thugs in a cavern because it was tagged as essential and not meant to be lured out and engaged with the group so it turned into a quest (game?) breaker. But I did enjoy the first two until I didn't.

JDR13

Arcane
The thing I most remember about Gothic 1 was that faction of dudes always smoking bud (or the equivalent thereof in that fantasy world) with their hookas. Most memorable thing about Gothic 2 was getting stumped and abandoning it because i missed a very important NPC standing on a hill watching a battle below that I needed to talk to to progress in the story. Most memorable thing about Gothic 3 was one lone tiny goblin locked into immortal combat with a group of thugs in a cavern because it was tagged as essential and not meant to be lured out and engaged with the group so it turned into a quest (game?) breaker. But I did enjoy the first two until I didn't.

Gothic 3 remains one of the most disappointing games I've ever played. It's playable, but it's not even close to what it should have been.

JDR13

Arcane

You using K&M or a gamepad for KUF? I recently tried KUF: Crusaders and found it mildly interesting, but the controls seemed awful to me. Maybe they just take getting used to?

d1r

Patron

You using K&M or a gamepad for KUF? I recently tried KUF: Crusaders and found it mildly interesting, but the controls seemed awful to me. Maybe they just take getting used to?

Gamepad. Controls are fine, just takes some time to get into. Just make sure that you actually move your troops via the big map (which will be open for 85% of the time), and not per third person view on the battlefield.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom