Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What game are you wasting time on?

Jvegi

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
New Vegas, the first time I went beyond Primm. It's promising so far, although this bread crumb trail style of story progression is really distracting, artificial and major decline from F1.

The aspect I still can't grasp my head around is the actual gameplay, especially combat. It's so terrible, broken and laughable I feel like I'm doing something wrong. Why is my 3rd level character with 4 strenght and endurance able to clear the building full of bad guys by her lonesome on hard difficulty?

Why IN THE FUCK is my companion immortal? How can I take this seriously? Say what you want about F1&2 combat, but it's like Muhammad Ali next to a retarded toddler.

Wunderbar

Arcane
Finished Olympus 2207, another russian Fallout 2 total conversion.

I've seen it being mentioned on codex a couple of times as some highly anticipated quality mod in the vein of Nevada. Apparently the english translation have died a while ago, and it pains me to say but nothing of value was lost, because Olympus 2207 is shit. A ton of new high-quality assets, squandered on a lazy half-baked game with barely existing story and crudely designed fed-ex quests.

Codex Year of the Donut
Finished Olympus 2207, another russian Fallout 2 total conversion.

I've seen it being mentioned on codex a couple of times as some highly anticipated quality mod in the vein of Nevada. Apparently the english translation have died a while ago, and it pains me to say but nothing of value was lost, because Olympus 2207 is shit. A ton of new high-quality assets, squandered on a lazy half-baked game with barely existing story and crudely designed fed-ex quests.
Have you played Златогорье 2? Is it good?

JDR13

Arcane
Finished Terminator: Resistance.

It's not terrible but it's not very good either. Check it out if you're a Terminator fan, but wait for a sale.

Ovplain

Arcane
Patron
RPG Wokedex
Going through my goddamn backlog. It's colossal. It's disgusting! Would probably be best to just write a bunch of this shit off, but I can't. I have to at least make an effort.

First bunch:
DOOM (Had lass than half way to go, had fun!)
Wolfenstein: The New Order (Just the final boss left. No idea why I stopped the last time.)
The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt (Think the save I used was midway through the game, still took me nearly 3 weeks to finish together with both expansions.)
Batman: Arkham Knight (Started from scratch, took almost two weeks, had a blast, nice send-off.)
Beyond: Two Souls (Old save, about a third through I'd say, wrapped the game up in 3 days. Well, 'game.' Did end up caring about what happened to the girl though, so that's something.)
Sleeping Dogs: Definitive Edition (Started from scratch, took a week. Solid 'GTA-clone.')
Virginia (From scratch, took like an hour, hour and a half though! Hardly a game, but much like with Beyond, I was invested, I cared. Nice music, nice style.)
Injustice: Gods Among Us Ultimate Edition (Just an easy one to chalk off the list, took a couple hours. Whatever, it's a fighting game. The story was insufferable!)

Second bunch:
What Remains Of Edith Finch (A walking simulator, but it was pretty. I liked it, I cared!)
Rise of the Tomb Raider (Had an old save, had like the last hour or two to go.)
Limbo (Cool, spooky platformer)
Mirror's Edge (Had it since forever, took a couple hours to beat, looks good for a 10 year old game!)
Steep (Used to snowboard as a kid in the late 90s and that was the last time I played a snowboarding game too before this one. Was fun for about a week!)
Mass Effect 2 (Man, this one. Sex & violence in space. Goofy to the 10th power! Laughed my ass off several times and I liked it, goddammit!)
Mass Effect 3 (Less entertaining than the previous one, wasn't QUITE as 'out there.' The last third of it really seemed to take forever.)
Scribblenauts Unmasked (Fun puzzle game, though I'm sure it would've been a whole lot more fun if I was a DC fanboy.)
Transformers: Devastation (I'm 2 hours into it now and I like it. Feels nice! Liked the cartoon a bunch as a kid and this definitely feels like the cartoon.)

Third bunch:
Middle-earth: Shadow of War - Definitive Edition (The first game I bought since I really started going after my backlog. Also the game that probably made me swear off buying any kind of DLC for good. Could've taken just the base game for 12,5 bucks, HAD to get the complete one for 25. Quickly came to the realization that I just didn't care enough about the extra crap. And that the days of trying to 100% games are just done! Ended up ignoring pretty much all of the DLC stuff. And after like 15 hours into the game I just tried to get it over with as soon as possible. No chance in Hell I was going to do the 'epilogue' either. Still had fun though!)
Fallout 4 (There's never been a video game that I've hated more than Fallout 3. Seems times have changed because I didn't have much of an issue with Fallout 4. It's not the Fallout I remember, but that's fine, I'm fine with Fallout being dead. Had a lot of fun exploring the wasteland for the 50 hours or so it took me to finish. And playing a chick, a mother, the main questline threw me for a solid spin in the second half of the game.)
Assassin's Creed Syndicate (Had a huge urge to get Oddyssey on sale. For whatever reason. 'Forced' myself to fire up Syndicate instead. Gotta keep chipping away at that backlog! Anyway, I had fun! Started to get a bit boring after 15 hours or so, this is Assassin's Creed afterall, but I just bulldozed my way through the last couple of chapters and wrapped the whole thing up in about 20 hours.)
Shadowrun: Hong Kong - Shadows of Hong Kong (Really like the Shadowrun games, but this thing was just a slog. Didn't even bother with the side-missions, just wanted to wrap it up ASAP and did.)

Fourth bunch:
Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire (I really liked the first one, put 600+ hours into it even! Across 2-3 completed playthroughs and several aborted ones. Won't be doing that with PoE2 but I did have a lot of fun with it for the 60-70 hours it took me to get through it.)
Assassin's Creed Odyssey (Second game I bought since I started attacking my backlog. And I couldn't get enough of this one! Clocked in around 85 hours as the broad Kassandra, ultimately forced myself to just stick to the main missions towards the end and wrap it up 'early.' Probably could've gone 100+ hours otherwise. GOTY 2018! Then again I only played two other games released in 2018, PoE2 and Battletech. Unexpected! Had an inkling I was going to like this one, didn't think it'd be that much. Curse you, Ubisoft!)
Age of Mythology: Extended Edition (I recall really loving this one back in the day. It definitely doesn't have the same impact nowadays! Shit didn't age too well. Shudder to think how I'd feel playing AoE 1 now, or even crap like WarCraft 1/2 or C&C! Loved those games as a kid, really glad I don't own any of them now, glad I don't have to play them now. Still, AoM was OK, got through the main campaign fine, there was no chance in hell I was going to do the expansion stuff.)
The Room Two (A pretty simple puzzle game, something different for me, was OK for the two hours it took me to beat it.)
The Cave (Kinda funny puzzle platformer from Ron Gilbert. Pretty easy, a bit clunky, but I didn't mind dragging three people through it.)

Fifth bunch:
Mark of the Ninja (Great 2D stealth platformer! Could barely stop playing once I started.)
Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons (Played it once before on the PS3 so the emotional impact was way weaker this time around, still had a nice time, game still looks lovely, plays great.)
The Banner Saga 2 (Played the first one a while back, no idea why it took me this long to get around to playing the second one. Liked the story, loved the art, got a bit tired of the combat.)
The Banner Saga 3 (Finished the second one, had to finish the third one as well. Same as with part 2. Maybe this one was a bit short, at least I didn't like how this whole epic saga was just wrapped up with a, 'Hey, that sure was something, huh? Alright, bye!')
Thimbleweed Park (Thought I was going to like it way more than I did. It was fine! Just didn't like how the main characters would barely acknowledge eachother. You'd have them cooperate with eachother to solve puzzles but it never really made much sense why they'd want to.)
Dishonored 2 (Loved the first one, I really did. Gave this one a go, but for some reason wasn't really feelin' it so I bailed after a couple of hours. I'll be back though!)
Far Cry 5 (Felt like playing this instead. Picked it up for 12€, my first gaming purchase of the year. And so far, so good. Like the world, I'm having fun, don't like the way the 'story' keeps hassling me. Just weirdly done. I'm out there, I don't know, doing something silly, something fun, and the game will just decide,'OK, buddy, that's enough of that! Time for one of the boring villians to talk at you for 5 minutes.')

Sixth bunch:
Far Cry 4 (Just had to wrap it up, finished it in a couple hours. Was probably fun enough the first time I played it.)
Divinity: Original Sin - Enhanced Edition (Finished the original campaign way back when, never got around to going through the EE. Until now. Great game, enjoyable game, but can't imagine I'll ever go back again.)
Assassin's Creed Origins (Didn't expect to enjoy this one much. But I did! Not as much as Odyssey, but still. Played it for a solid week, finished it even. Ptolemaic Egypt looked great.)
Cities: Skylines (Liked it, but ultimately just got a city to 75000 people and quit, considered the game 'finished' at that point. F'ing traffic!)
Mass Effect: Andromeda (Liked it a lot more than I thought I would. Felt kinda bad even that there does not seem to be a new one on the horizon. Would love to visit Andromeda some more. Will happen eventually, I'm sure!)
Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition (Finished an old save from about 2/3 through the game. Always nice to go back to Baldur's Gate.)
Baldur's Gate: Siege of Dragonspear (Playing this right now and hey! I'm enjoying myself well enough. Not digging through deeply into it, but as it is, it's just more 'Baldur's Gate' to me. Looks good too!)

Seventh bunch:
Planescape: Torment: Enhanced Edition (Been forever since I last played it, at least a decade. Felt great going back.)
Baldur's Gate II: Enhanced Edition (Same thing as with Planescape really. You really can go home again!)
Assassin's Creed Odyssey - New Game Plus + DLC (This goddamn thing. Played more than 200 hours now all together and I just couldn't get enough of it! I hope it's really over now. )
Shadow of the Tomb Raider (Liked the previous two nü-tomb raiders. More of the same here, fun, exciting, liked the tombs. Looked great on my ultra-wide too!)
Prey (Shouldn't have put this off for this long. Had a blast. Intentionally left a fistful of side stuff unifinished so I can eventually go back for NG+.)
Abzû (Looked pretty on ultrawide! Music was nice. Did get a little tired of it about an hour in but it did draw me back in towards the end.)

Eight bunch:
Dishonored 2 (Really liked the first Dishonored game. Bought this as soon as it came out, gave it a go, just didn't grab me. Did this time around though, loved it!)
Borderlands GOTY Enhanced (Was in the mood for some shooting I guess. Blasted through it in 3 days.)
Borderlands 2 (This one took like 2 weeks, guess I was kinda spent.)
Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order (Liked it a lot, go through it in a weekend. If it had some kind of 'new game plus,' I would've gone right back in.)
The Outer Worlds (First game to ever make me feel physically ill! Other than Bad Mojo way back when. Dunno, something didn't quite gel right with my ultrawide display. Managed to get it sorted and finish the game, fun game! Though I seem to have no desire to ever wanna go back.)
Red Dead Redemption 2 (Loved the original, couldn't wait for this one. Bought it day one, refunded it 1 hour later. Shit ultra-wide support. Poo. Bought again though later on, found an ultrawide mod and had a blast playing it.)
Dragon Age: Inquisition (Think I had fun here and there, but even though I blasted through it as quickly as I possibly could, still felt like the game was dragging on and on.)
Wolfenstein II: The New Colossus (Was great, liked it a lot. Beat in 2 days.)
The Sinking City (Really enjoyed it, despite it being pretty janky.)
Control (Knew pretty much nothing about the game, don't think I even heard about it before it popped up on the Epic Games Store. Liked Alan Wake, bought this on a whim, had a ton of fun.)
Shardlight (Was in the mood for a point 'n' click adventure, this one was decent enough, nothing too difficult, beat it at a pretty comfortable pace.)
God of War: Ascension (Still have a couple unbeaten games left on my PS3, wanted to get one out of the way, picked this one. Was OK.)
Far Cry 5 New Game Plus (Figured it'd look nice @ 21:9. It did.)
Stygian: Reign of the Old Ones (Backed it on Kickstarter, think it was worth it.)
Divinity: Original Sin 2 (Finally got through it, tried several times before, always grew bored. I don't know, these D:OS games. They're good, they're very good, but just not quite my bag or something. Don't dig the whole 'theme park design' thing.)
Disco Elysium (Game got ultrawide support, was thrilled, couldn't buy it fast enough once I found out. GOTY.)
Saints Row: The Third (Blasted through it in two days.)
Saints Row IV (Blasted through it in three days.)
Batman: Arkham Origins (Wanted to be Batman again. Good game.)
Carmageddon: Max Damage (Scratched an itch I forgot I had. Loved the original two games as a kid and thought this new one was pretty good! Felt like 'good ol' Carmageddon' to me and that was plenty.)
Dying Light (Played it a while back, couldn't get through it, but I did this time. Excited about the sequel!)
Dead Island Definitive Edition (Felt like killing some more zombies. Bit wonky, still hacking up zombies just refused to get old. Hated the city though, Moresby.)
Wasteland 2: Director's Cut (Beat the original release a while back, finally finished the DC. Bring on Wasteland 3!)

Latest bunch:
The Walking Dead: A New Frontier (A couple months later, already can't remember what it was about. I think I liked it.)
Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon Wildlands (Had fun, did get boring after awhile and I just bulldozed my way towards the end as fast as I possibly could.)
The Bard's Tale IV: Barrows Deep (I really liked it! Way more than I was expecting. Was even sad that the game wasn't successful and I'm assuming we won't be seeing any more.)
Total War: Shogun 2 (Blasted through a 'short campaign' just to cross it off my list. Might go back eventually, play a proper campaign.)
Total War: Rome II (Boldly told myself I wasn't going to autoresolve any battles, forgot all about that after like a day.)
Vampyr (Wasn't expecting much, but I quite liked it!)
Whispes of a Machine (Liked the story well enough, but the puzzles were just way too easy. Made the pacing all weird. Often I'd just breeze through a bunch and ended up feeling kind of lost because of it.)
GreedFall (Was alright. Maybe a bit too much running around, got boring towards the end.)
Expeditions: Conquistador (Played 'Viking' before it, liked it a bit more than this one. Still a fun game. Looking forward to whatever those dudes are working on now.)

Naraya

Arcane
Playing Far Cry 2

Some background info: up till now the only Far Cry games I played were FC3, FC3:BD (both of which I liked a lot) and FC5 (shooting was fun, vehicles as well but the game felt quite shallow in the end).

A few days ago I thought to give Far Cry 2 a try. I'm playing FC2:Fortune's Edition using this mod - mainly because it's one of the most recommended by experienced players and overall looks like a nice gameplay enhancer. One additional reason is that I usually don't have time and willpower to play through a game more than once so I want to squeeze as much enjoyment as possible the first time I play it.

Back to the point - I like the game A LOT. It feels much less forgiving than its successors. The atmosphere is great - I don't recall many games that take place in Africa. Being unable to mark enemies half the map away (or, well, at all) and having no wallhack-powers is an obvious incline. Jamming guns as well as malaria add an element of surprise. AI seems aggressive and pretty smart. Soldier chitchat sounds very realistic and intimidating. This might sound weird but I also like the fact that there is no crafting (to me it means I don't have to waste time and energy collecting materials - something I absolutely hate in games).

I'm not sure how I feel about the respawning outposts (marked by soldiers on the map). It's rather easy to kill the few guys defending an outpost but I feel it'll get old pretty fast, especially since it seems like they retake it soon enough so what is the point? We will see.

Last edited by a moderator:

baud

Arcane
Patron
RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
I'm not sure how I feel about the respawning outposts (marked by soldiers on the map). It's rather easy to kill the few guys defending an outpost but I feel it'll get old pretty fast, especially since it seems like they retake it soon enough so what is the point? We will see.

In the late game, I've found that most outposts could be bypassed, by driving around them and using the fast travel system to minimize how many I'll encounter on my way.

it's a pretty cool game, I enjoyed it a lot

Pope Amole II

Nerd Commando Game Studios
Developer
Have you played Златогорье 2? Is it good?

No. It has a rather interesting RPG system but that's wasted on the abysmal writing (literally on the level of a schoolkid and I'm not meaning high school here), consists of nothing but Fedex questing (with ludicrous reasons due to above mentioned writing) and the combat is ridiculously imbalanced in favor of monsters so, unless you abuse alchemy, random encounters will be the death of ya (main plotline is more doable, randoms are, like, 10x robbers/slavers on the road to Vault City). Outside of the pretty backgrounds (which don't fit the game's setting, though, as the game was initionally planned as sci-fi but then repurposed as fantasy without changing the already done graphical assets), it doesn't have much of value.

The addon (cold heavens aka Холодные Небеса, I think in the west it was just sold as Goldenland 2) is a bit better. Writing is not as bad (though still bad), combat is still broken, but the quest structure is kinda nice and the hidden ending is really, really good. And lots of nice hidden perks to discover through the world by just interacting with it in one way or another. It's still flawed but, at the very least, it has some positives so that's really the only Goldenland game to try out.

overly excitable young man

Geneforge 1. Great game. I expected it to be much more clunky and annoying. But the UI is fine once you accept the puke green.
Exploration is really fun and i like the story of the shapers and the setting.
Maybe there's even a little bit of c&c with the factions? We'll see.

Combat is retarded but i'm a sucker for bad iso tb combat it seems.
It feels kinda cool when your critters are doing the work just like Diablo 2 necromancer.

PulsatingBrain

Huge and Ever-Growing
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath
puke green

shapinghall.jpg

What the fuck have you been eating bro? :lol:

mk0

Learned
Arx Fatalis. Ran around in circles while looking for goblin authorization papers, baked some bread too. So far, so good.

3Kds1TW.jpg

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
More Football Manager 2020.
After winning almost everything during my first season at Liverpool, I sold Sadio Mane and Dejan Lovren for ridicilios amounts of money. With that, I bought Federico Chiesa, Odsonne Edouard, Jude Bellingham, some Belgian kid from Club Brugge, Eduardo Cavaminga and last but not least, Gianluigi Donnarumma on a free transder. I still had a positive net spend as I sold some fringe players for good money. Won basically everything once again in season two. I was very happy but felt like I needed a new challenge. There's only one way to let go: Delete the save file.

My new challenge is to coach Boston United in the lowest league in England. Can't even remember the name of it. Vanarama League North, I think. The club is expected to finish 8th, but after half of the games played, I'm in 1st place with a 7 point lead. I'm using the Liverpool tactic but with some tweaks. This division is hilarious. There are so many mistakes being made. Defenders missing headers, keepers that act like morons on defensive corners and so many red cards. Barely any coaches, no scouts and no transfer budget. I'm bleeding money, can't even loan players. The club starts with 3 loaned players but I terminated those deals and got 4 youngsters on free transfers. I'm having the time of my life. Beat the teams that are 2nd, 3rd and 4th in the league very convincingly, only to lose to the bottom team 0-4. This sort of reminds me of the club I'm currently coaching irl.

My goal is to get promoted every season and win the Premier League in the far future.

baud

Arcane
Patron
RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
I've finished Halo 2. Compared to the first one, I appreciated the wider variety of environments, having access to more weapons and vehicles. Playing as the Arbiter doesn't bring much, apart from having a cloak, which is useful as a panic button, but I missed having a flashlight once or twice. And having boss fight in a FPS is stupid (or at least all the bosses I've fought in any FPS sucked).
I played mostly on non-remastered mode because of old laptop, but the graphics still hold up pretty well.
In the end I think gameplay-wise Halo 1 is still better (or maybe I was getting bored of Halo-style FPS?)

I also still suck at MP.

I've finished all the campaigns of Warhammer Mark of Chaos, the last campaign (human/high elfs) I played being the best, even if it's still not much. Though seeing the demon prince get blasted to pieces by artillery and magic in the final battle of the campaign was fun

Wyatt_Derp

Arcane
Summoned the courage to try Doom: Project Brutality on the 'Last Man on Earth' difficulty. Holy shit. Even using weapon cheats I barely stood a chance. Getting older sucks. My dex skills and hand-eye coordination have tanked.

bloodlover

Arcane
Assassins Creed Origins. Very fun game and the world is gorgeous. Most people think of pyramids, sand and The Sphynx when they hear Egypt and I so glad that Ubi managed to show how beautiful this world (probably) was. Historical figures actually fit here and don't randomly pop up on the street. Also, since it's an origin story, the templars - assassins conflict don't have to be forced into the game. Black Flag suffered from this aspect the most. Memphis, Cyrene, Alexandria they all look fantastic and there is more tomb raiding here than in the 2016 Tomb Raider game.

Sadly, everything else is shit. Combat is "witcher 3 like" except worse, there are a truckload of irrelevant and repetitive secondary quests, the world is big and beautiful but not very interactive, stealth is meh, the skill tree that apparently makes the game an RPG now is very bland except maybe for a few skills from the combat tree.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
A few days ago I thought to give Far Cry 2 a try. I'm playing FC2:Fortune's Edition using this mod - mainly because it's one of the most recommended by experienced players and overall looks like a nice gameplay enhancer. One additional reason is that I usually don't have time and willpower to play through a game more than once so I want to squeeze as much enjoyment as possible the first time I play it.

This mod sounds good, but why did he have to fuck with the colors using a Reshade vivid mode thing? Can you turn that off?

Sadly, everything else is shit. Combat is "witcher 3 like" except worse, there are a truckload of irrelevant and repetitive secondary quests, the world is big and beautiful but not very interactive, stealth is meh, the skill tree that apparently makes the game an RPG now is very bland except maybe for a few skills from the combat tree.

I'm playing it right now too, funny enough. I disagree on stealth, I'm quite enjoying it. I always liked "predator stealth" type games though, moving through a camp quickly and taking guys out before their buddies even know I'm there. I don't even have the shield button bound, I'm so focused on archery and stealth. Archery is harder but more rewarding with a mouse and no auto-aim. The stealth tree does have some essential upgrades too, like combo abilities so you can shiv one guy and then his buddy too without being seen, or get a slo-mo arrow after a stealth kill so you can double up.

Last edited by a moderator:

Naraya

Arcane
This mod sounds good, but why did he have to fuck with the colors using a Reshade vivid mode thing? Can you turn that off?
Oh definitely, I'm not using the Reshade part. Overall this mod is well-prepared, you can disable stuff you don't want or need.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom