Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What game are you wasting time on?

Wunderbar

Arcane
In terms of combat, the first was better than the sequel. Cheesing through encounters is part of the experience.
Play the first if you've never played a Divinity game. Once you beat it (or quit midway), I'd caution playing the second.

Armor system and itemization are decline of the highest magnitude.
This was among my biggest gripes.
damn.
I'm near the end of DOS1 playthrough, and it's one of the most annoying games i have ever played. The foundation (combat, encounter design and emergent gameplay systems) is amazing, but everything else ranges from meh to pure trash.

Matador

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
In terms of combat, the first was better than the sequel. Cheesing through encounters is part of the experience.
Play the first if you've never played a Divinity game. Once you beat it (or quit midway), I'd caution playing the second.

damn.
I'm near the end of DOS1 playthrough, and it's one of the most annoying games i have ever played. The foundation (combat, encounter design and emergent gameplay systems) is amazing, but everything else ranges from meh to pure trash.
If you are annoyed with DOS1, wait for DOS2. The first one is much better, I enjoyed it a lot although I got burned in the endgame. DOS1 should have been shorter. (Talking about vanilla DOS1, didn't played "Enhanced" edition)

In DOS2 the retarded armor system spoils the whole gameplay system, is insane how they released that. I can't remember a worse gamebreaking combat mechanic in any turn based combat game ever. Is THAT bad.

Last edited:

CthuluIsSpy

Arcane
So I found out how to make the combat bearable in Elex
>Don't have it on anything higher than normal. Elex uses the beth philosophy of artificial difficulty, where on higher difficulty levels you deal reduced damage but the enemies deal a ton. You already deal little damage on normal, and moving it up to hard reduces it again by half
>Use DoTs. Setting enemies on fire is very effective
>Use knockback. Plasma weapons can chain knockdown enemies and it's hilarious
>Cheese whenever you can. Molochs can't use projectile attacks. So stand on a rock and hit it with the flamethrower.

Last edited:

Wunderbar

Arcane
Finished Divinity - Original Sin (Enhanced Edition), took me roughly 80 hours on Tactician mode.

The things I liked:

- Great turn-based combat. Really liked the whole elemental surface with magic combinations, and the encounter design ranged from pretty solid to OK throughout the whole game.

- Systems-run emergent gameplay. Picking up boxes and barrels, using them to trigger or defuse traps, using environmental elements such as torches and sconces to set oiled enemies on fire, solving puzzles with a teleporting pyramide - great stuff. A breath of fresh air after bioware/obsidian rpgs with static environments.

- The first act of the game - Cyseal - was really good. The story felt promising, and your main quest where you're investigating a murder and crossing off suspects from the list was very Vyzima Confidential. Plus, it had the most challenging fights in the whole game, since at that point your party didn't have all the crowd control skills yet.

Oh boy, and now the negatives:

- the story after Cyseal was bland and unexciting, the characters were boring and unmemorable, the writing was cheesy and low effort, the lore was basically non-existent, and the worldbuilding was trash. How can you even take Rivellon seriously when there are NPCs saying "crikey" and "sayonara"? PoE gets a lot of flak in here for having a boring story, but its writing is a Nobel prize for literature-worthy work when compared to DOS.

- I hated the camera during combat. It kept automatically readjusting and focusing on a current character, making me do stupid mistakes and misclicking. I press LMB to shoot someone with a bow, then i click LMB to shoot again, but the camera suddenly decides to readjust, so i misclick near the enemy instead, and my archer walks towards the enemy and wastes her turn.

- UI in general was kinda shit and unresponsive, I believe it's mostly because of wonky TB implementation. You can't skip animations even when outside of combat, you can't queue actions when outside of combat, you can't give commands to multiple party members at the same time, you can't even open an inventory while one of your characters is casting a spell or trying to stand up after having slipped on ice. Your glass cannon mage is on fire after the combat has ended? Tough luck, you won't be able to put the fire out in time, because the guy with "helping hand" ability is currently picking his nose and the button is inactive.

- Another jab at UI - no "quest items" inventory tab. There's a fuckton of quest-related items, quite often the game doesn't use them automatically and requires you to find an item in your inventory manually, and it sucks. There's already a lot of items in your inventory (some of which have identical icons), and then you're being asked to use some shitty spell scroll that you have found maybe 10 hours ago and already forgot its name. And sometimes said scroll is in "magic items" tab, but sometimes it's in the "miscellaneous" tab with all the books and notes. Also, was it that hard to implement "you have already read that book" label when hovering a cursor over some crafting recipe book? Those books all have generic names like "secrets of the scroll 1", "secrets of the scroll 2" etc, did they really expect me to remember them all?

- At first (during the character generation) I liked the RPG system - it looked like there was a lot of cool options for potential builds. But then I realized that it's classless, and in the end there are basically only three-four archetypes that can do everything. The game gives you four recruitable NPCs - dual-wielder, archer, figher with a two-hander and a water+air mage, so with correctly built main characters you can cover pretty much everything the game has to offer. And the balance is out of whack - a lot of skills seemed useless (like most of the soft crowd-control spells), levelling certain abilities was a trap because you can equip two or three items each for +1, perks are either godlike ("bully") or trash (rest them honestly), and a lot of magic consumables are useless. Initially I was pleasantly surprised with the amount of options for my archer and other non-mage characters (all those special arrows, grenades and shit), but in the end most of them turned out to be worthless. Blinding, weakening, lowering resistances - most of the time it doesn't work because of enemy's successful saving throw, and even if it works it's still worse than a simple knockdown/stun, so why bother when you can just use dash, lightning bolt or freezing?

- Speaking of items that give you +1 to skill. I hate it when the game gives you equipment that increases your non-combat stats, because you either "waste" skillpoints, or suffer by regularly equipping and reequipping items. Each time I wanted to identify an item, I had to go through the motions of equipping a ring and an amulet "+lore", and since the game showers you with shitty randomly generated loot, I had to swap those items very often. Yeah yeah it's my own fault and I shouldn't have been a skillpoints cheapskate, but still. Seem like a bad design to me.

- In fact, everything about itemization is a bad design. You can't build your character around specific items because they drop randomly. Your epic legendary sword of doom will become obsolete after you find a rusty pitchfork just because pitchfork's level and thus damage stats are higher. You won't feel the excitement after digging a secret chest or finding a loot cache, because it will contain another levelled item that will be identified and sold to a nearest vendor. Levelled loot ruins the exploration and it's and the worst thing about this game.

- Crafting! Now, I don't hate crafting mechanics, in theory if done well crafting can be very fun (see Arcanum or Underrail), not to mention that in an RPG with levelled diabloesque itemization it can allow players to ignore lootdrops and just craft their own gear. Unfortunately, it's not exactly the case here, DOS' crafting is kinda shit. It bloats an already bloated inventory management with a ton of garbage components, the recipe menu is unintuitive and awkward to use, and thanks to a stupid two-items combination system you need to go through multi-step process to craft. You want to craft a freezing arrow? In any other game it would be as simple as combining a wood with a freezing element. In DOS there's a fuckton of transitional items, so in order to craft a freezing arrow you must saw a wooden log, then use wood to craft an arrow shaft, then craft arrowhead using a knife with a bone/stone, then combine freezing element with an arrowhead, and then combine arrow shaft with a freezing arrowhead. Yes, you can find already crafted transitional items in the wild or on sale at different vendors, but still - why was this all implemented in the first place? Thanks to that there are like thrice more components than the game actually needed.

- Another thing that annoyed me was an overly restricted exploration. The world is level-gated, and if you try to venture somewhere you're not supposed to go you will get fucked by strong enemies. And if you somehow prevail and defeat higher-level enemies, you will bork the power curve and all the loot you skipped on an easier path will now become obsolete.

- Puzzles were interesting the first couple of times you solved them, but they got old very fast because there was no variety. Pressure plates, drag that barrel over a poisonous hole in the ground, avoid sentinel statues - rince and repeat throughout the whole game. There were like two interesting ones (like the one where you remotely control dog/cat/mouse on a chessboard), but rest of them are all solved by sending a roguey with winged feet skill and teleporting the rest of your party via pyramide. Oh and I hated the mandatory pixel-hunting segments where you must scour the room for hidden switches. Why the fuck should I do that myself when there's a high PER character in my party?

- Also bugs. It's been years, I thought EE was supposed to be stable, but no. I got all kinds of bugs - from disappearing NPCs to the turn order messing up and showing dead enemies. And ZixZags bugged out and temporarily refused to open new portals in the Homestead, leaving me without master spells for a huge chunk of the game.

tl;dr: the most important thing - combat - is great, while everything else is kinda bad. Overall I liked the game, but it's not a modern classic like some people were claiming. I'd say it's a solid foundation with a shoddy work built on top of it. A game like DOS, but 50% shorter, with refined systems, static DnD-style itemization and improved writing would be 5/5, as it is right now I'd give it :2/5: (with half).

Jack Of Owls

Arcane
I'm afraid to play any of the newer D:OS games or enhanced editions because I'm worried it will be one of those 150 hour playtime monstrosities (ie Kingmaker and Plllars). Did play the original D:OS (unenhanced edition), however, and found it fun but not "I MUST PLAY MORE IN THIS SERIES!" fun.

Strange Fellow

Peculiar
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Replayed Starcross for the first time in a long time. Good game. It's pretty much Rendezvous with Rama with the serial numbers filed off and made into a puzzlebox, which is fine by me.
I remember getting stumped a few times the first time I played it and having to resort to hints, but some part of my brain obviously remembered how to solve those bits this time around. The only thing I had trouble with wasn't a puzzle at all, funnily enough, but rather me not realising that it's possible to just walk out of the mouse garage, which led me to fool around with the teleporters a lot without getting anywhere. Not sure how that works, since getting into the garage requires solving an elaborate puzzle, and there's no indication that the door is any more useable from the inside, but OK.

Next up might be the Enchanter/Sorcerer/Spellbreaker trilogy, since I've only played the first one of those, and the other two are supposed to be very good.

Last edited:

DeepOcean

Arcane
- Great turn-based combat. Really liked the whole elemental surface with magic combinations, and the encounter design ranged from pretty solid to OK throughout the whole game.
That is the power of encounter design, turns a garbage game into playable just by itself. It is a pity they ruined the only thing that made their games good on DOS 2. Maybe BG 3 will be decent again because Larian is being forced to not do the "item fever" bs that Swen loves so much and it is forced to follow a real ruleset for a change.

Puukko

Arcane

damn.
If you are annoyed with DOS1, wait for DOS2. The first one is much better, I enjoyed it a lot although I got burned in the endgame. DOS1 should have been shorter. (Talking about vanilla DOS1, didn't played "Enhanced" edition)

In DOS2 the retarded armor system spoils the whole gameplay system, is insane how they released that. I can't remember a worse gamebreaking combat mechanic in any turn based combat game ever. Is THAT bad.
I enjoyed 2 in coop a lot whereas I ended up dropping 1. I wouldn't recommend playing 2 unmodded though, a simple armor mod goes a long way. The various class/spell mods are also nice though they have a tendency to add way more status effects to track.

Jack Of Owls

Arcane
Did anyone make any interesting quest mods, campaigns or TCs for the Divinity series? Or was it one of those user-unfriendly toolsets like NWN2's?

KafkaBot

Scholar
Dark Messiah of Might and Magic. Excellent game so far (I love how the combat is essentially a giant bar fight), but I do wish Arkane hadn't pivoted like this and instead stuck to the philosophies they employed in making Arx Fatalis.

Naraya

Arcane
Dark Messiah of Might and Magic. Excellent game so far (I love how the combat is essentially a giant bar fight), but I do wish Arkane hadn't pivoted like this and instead stuck to the philosophies they employed in making Arx Fatalis.
Combat physics is what makes this game really fun, IMO. Apart from that it's nothing special.

KafkaBot

Scholar
Combat physics is what makes this game really fun, IMO. Apart from that it's nothing special.

Indeed, and the story is quite stupid, to be frank. The atmosphere and the setting are also painfully generic, and the game is sadly quite linear.

The combat is amazing, though, and easily carries the whole thing. I'd love a more full-fledged RPG that made good use of this game's systems.

alighieri

Educated

Wow, this game is already 15 years old? I remember looking in awe at the graphics of this game as a teenager thinking it couldn't get any better and trying to get it to run on my underpowered PC.

JDR13

Arcane

Indeed, and the story is quite stupid, to be frank. The atmosphere and the setting are also painfully generic, and the game is sadly quite linear.

The combat is amazing, though, and easily carries the whole thing. I'd love a more full-fledged RPG that made good use of this game's systems.

Disagree about the atmosphere. I thought the BGM and ambient sounds made for some great atmosphere at times. Especially in the dungeons/crypts.

Wow, this game is already 15 years old? I remember looking in awe at the graphics of this game as a teenager thinking it couldn't get any better and trying to get it to run on my underpowered PC.

Yeah, it was a beast to run at release, but part of that was just due to poor optimization. I remember still having issues with stutters even years later on systems that far exceeded the recommended requirements.

KafkaBot

Scholar

Time flies, doesn't it? I was barely in my teens when this came out, but I never got to play it back then. Didn't really appreciate CPRGs at the time.

Disagree about the atmosphere. I thought the BGM and ambient sounds made for some great atmosphere at times. Especially in the dungeons/crypts.

On its own, I'd agree the game's atmosphere is passable, though I wouldn't really call it "great", just good. The issue is that Arkane's immediately preceding game is Arx Fatalis, a work that simply oozes atmosphere from every single pore. In that regard, Dark Messiah just feels like a massive downgrade.

JDR13

Arcane

On its own, I'd agree the game's atmosphere is passable, though I wouldn't really call it "great", just good. The issue is that Arkane's immediately preceding game is Arx Fatalis, a work that simply oozes atmosphere from every single pore. In that regard, Dark Messiah just feels like a massive downgrade.

I actually found them similar in terms of atmosphere, though Arx has better BGM imo.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
. I took out my anger preemptively by killing all major characters before they can do anything to me in my last run, because I know this difficulty will cause me some grief
One hit kill is probably the best one for the super sekrit ending. But damn if it it's not the most frustrating mode to play in for the endings.
I still got like 6 titles to unlock and that's probably all that's left to do.
And on top of all this, the quest for the perfect sword continues.
Nearly 50 custom swords and I can't stop. Send help. :despair:

Wunderbar

Arcane
Maybe BG 3 will be decent again because Larian is being forced to not do the "item fever" bs that Swen loves so much and it is forced to follow a real ruleset for a change.
haven't played alpha, but i've read an interview with Swen, where he said that BG3 will have a "modified" 5e. Don't know what does that supposed to mean, maybe BG3 will feature a larianized 5e with randomized drops.

I'm afraid to play any of the newer D:OS games or enhanced editions because I'm worried it will be one of those 150 hour playtime monstrosities (ie Kingmaker and Plllars).
Pillars is 40 hours long though.

curds

Magister
My thoughts too. Combat's great fun, everything else is just alright. Whereas Arx Fatalis excelled in several areas.

NeptuneGames

Neptune Games
Developer
That is the power of encounter design, turns a garbage game into playable just by itself. It is a pity they ruined the only thing that made their games good on DOS 2. Maybe BG 3 will be decent again because Larian is being forced to not do the "item fever" bs that Swen loves so much and it is forced to follow a real ruleset for a change.

Excuse me, what do you mean as "item fever"? Is that the randomized item spawn?

Curratum

Sank back into the warm, inviting folds of CS:GO.

Tried pretty much every other competitive shooter with any amount of active players on Steam and they're all either even more autistic or are just plain bad.

There's a certain comfort in going back go CSGO, a familiarity that radiates from the semi-realistic, plain, clean levels and art design. You know what you are in for, there are no misguided expectations, no marketing hype, no mechanics you may or may not like. So it's a pretty pleasant relapse after years of disappointment, chasing pvp shooters and finding only momentary haven in Rising Storm 2 Vietnam.

Plus, they've removed bots from competitive, so now angry kids can't kick you for failing to clutch a 1v4.

NeptuneGames

Neptune Games
Developer
Ok, got it. In my opinion, "item fever" isn't the best way to handle equipment in a cRPG... but it's a necessary evil in aRPGs. In a cRPG, handcrafted items are far superior.

That said, I think DOS2 handled the randomized item very well.

Ezekiel

Arcane
God, I forgot how trashy the difficulty in Nier: Automata is. Normal is way too easy. Boringly so after you have leveled up a little while. Hard takes ridiculously much health from you with every hit. I wish this game didn't have character levels. That all you upgraded/unlocked was the weapons and chips. That way they could have kept it more balanced throughout.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom