Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What game are you wasting time on?

Erebus

Arcane
Finished playing Legend of Kyrandia 2. I guess I should have played LoK 1 first, but to be quite honest, having a smexy alchemist lady as a main character was more appealing to me than having the rightful heir of Whateveristan.

I had a really good time ! The game's easier than the average adventure game from the 90s, which I found rather relieving. Zanthia's a nice heroine, the places she visits and the creatures she encounters are quite imaginative, the plot has several funny twists and there are many entertaining situations.

WOOOHOOO !!! I'M RIDING A FREAKING T-REX AND IT'S AWESOME !!!

Stabwound

Arcane
LoK 2 is much better than LoK 1.

Also, LoK 3 is excellent, one of my favorite adventure games ever and very underrated. If you haven't played it, do yourself a favor and do so.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
Crusader Kings II.

IT IS IMPOSSIBLE TO TOTALLY AVOID GAINING THE KINSLAYER TRAIT IF YOU WANT A SEMI-SENSIBLE SUCCESSION IN CKII!

Quilty

Magister
Riise of Flight. It's an amazing WWI flight simulator, dogfighting is loads of fun. And it's free!

Admiral jimbob

gay as all hell
Wasteland 2
The BG marathon is go. Here is the party. No idea if it's optimum, but I think it'll make for an interesting experience nonetheless. Any real duds can be dropped for whatever NPC suits/wants to give me quests at the time.

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c247/jimbob11/anderskru2.jpg

Anders Breivik, noble fearless Paladin, Inquisitor and party leader for the three occasions where charisma matters in the series. Standard build, aiming to get Carsomyr in BG2 and tank unimaginatively through BG1.

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c247/jimbob11/anderskru5.jpg

Average Steve the Kensai/Mage. Don't think that needs much explanation.

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c247/jimbob11/anderskru3.jpg

Hatman the Swashbuckler. Primary thieving abilities as well as ranged combat and melee where required. Might dual class him to cleric in BG2, seeing how it goes (old screenshot, recreated him with 17 WIS)

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c247/jimbob11/anderskru4.jpg

Faggotron McGay the Elven Archer. Ranged combat, aiming to get him the shortbow of Gesen or whatever it's called once BG2 rolls around.

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c247/jimbob11/anderskru1.jpg

Dr Chouffe, the mighty gnome Cleric/Illusionist multiclass. Hoping he'll pack enough of a punch to be my primary healer and buffer.

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c247/jimbob11/anderskru6.jpg

COVERED IN BEES the sorcerer. Nuker. Aiming to get the Robe of Vecna and that amulet and turn him into a magical machine gun.
After taking a break at the end of BG1, the party is in full swing in BG2. Much as I enjoyed BG1's low-level adventuring style, it quickly boiled down to a rather uninteresting game about wiping giant foresty blackboards clean to find the one rudimentary quest encounter per wilderness area. BG2, on the other hand... it was my first CRPG, and has still never really been something that's clicked with me. Just don't like the combat. But something about it has really shone this time through. Anders has heroically slain the Demogorgon, and we proceed to our final reckoning with Irenicus. Is ToB good? Probably going to play it regardless at this point, but I'd like to know if I'm in for a disappointment.

betamin

Learned
After taking a break at the end of BG1, the party is in full swing in BG2. Much as I enjoyed BG1's low-level adventuring style, it quickly boiled down to a rather uninteresting game about wiping giant foresty blackboards clean to find the one rudimentary quest encounter per wilderness area. BG2, on the other hand... it was my first CRPG, and has still never really been something that's clicked with me. Just don't like the combat. But something about it has really shone this time through. Anders has heroically slain the Demogorgon, and we proceed to our final reckoning with Irenicus. Is ToB good? Probably going to play it regardless at this point, but I'd like to know if I'm in for a disappointment.

It's even more combat oriented, I had fun with it and it felt extremely polished. Are you using tactical mods? If combat feels easy some of those are great.

Captain Shrek

Mount and Blade : TLD

I beat the shit out of Saruman's armies but Theoden refuses to besiege his outposts. So fuck Rohan, imma gonna go help Mirkwood.

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
Lionheart. I'm liking my annual replay session with Black Isle's classic.

Turjan

Arcane
Crusader Kings II. It's more fun than I thought, although it's a real time eater. I decided just to start as the King of Scotland from the tutorial. Succession crises are really tough, especially when the king became really old. Once, it ended up with some doom stacks from England crushing my demesne. This last time, the result was a bit more surprising to me: The new king seems to be well liked, and the war ended with one county more in the Kingdom than before (no idea how that happened). I'm not sure I should have drawn it out that much.

Anyway, it won't get boring. One other noble managed to get two duchies and a few counties therein, on both sides of my current king's demesne. Plus, there's one other duke in Ireland with several counties, plus probably a de jure claim to another duchy. It will probably all crumble soon. And I wonder why England hasn't tried anything yet.

Lunac

Arcane
Update: Still AIX 2.0 (SP) after all this time, although less regularly. Otherwise, most recently Legend of Grimrock although it got old pretty quick and some Torchlight every now and then (although Torchlight replayability is pretty nonexistent I must admit). Other than that you can throw in occasional rounds of C&C: Tiberian Sun and Close Combat III to scratch that "strategery" itch. Wanting to continue playing my D2 save now after all this D3 nonsense lately, but I keep remembering how boring Diablo games really are no matter what roman numeral is after the title. CoD of its genre really. Looking for Wiz8 copy on ebay rite now...

Admiral jimbob

gay as all hell
Wasteland 2
Average Steve has transcended averageness and now sits atop the Throne of Bhaal. For all its flaws, the saga was a pretty good adventure with a real sense of progression from level 1 shitheel to a genuine force of power, with encounter design and party customisation that nearly transcends the confusing and occasionally shitty combat system :salute: probably won't touch BG again, but I'm glad I've finally played through the whole thing after a rocky relationship with BG2. Feel I owed it to my first ever CRPG.

Need something dumb and viscerally gratifying to sate my lust now, though. Looking at a timesink open-world game - Precurors, Just Cause 2, Saints Row 3 and The Saboteur are the shortlist. Thoughts?

spekkio

Arcane
Abandoned Dark Heart of Uukrul due to severe fuckup.

:oops:

Started Shadow Hearts 1

bNR8N.jpg

P0EmH.jpg

p. codexian adventure...

HtKkt.jpg

:roll:

Markman

da Blitz master
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Spent a few hours in Puzzle Kingdoms, simple game but really a fucking time sinker. But those bonus puzzles suck IMO.
Also rolling a bit of Torchlight on hard, and its not that hard. My kitty kicks ass.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Taking a uh, break from the Guest For Glory series (III in particular). I and II were FANTASTIC. Really enjoyed playing all 3 pure classes in both games and the different solutions to things.

Playing Gabriel Knight: Sins of the Father (the GOG version) for the first time. :oops: The voice acting and MT-32 music is pretty cool. <3

Phelot

Arcane
I am finally trying to learn Dwarf Fortress since I know it's a game I'll love. It's an OCD dream come true... or nightmare, not sure which yet.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
I guess that depends on how you react when one of your dwarves murders her husband to make boots out of his corpse and then throws her child down a well in despair and goes on a destructive rampage.

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
Playing Gabriel Knight: Sins of the Father (the GOG version) for the first time. :oops: The voice acting and MT-32 music is pretty cool. <3
It's a sound canvas composition, you're missing out on the awesome piano. The soundtrack is all terrific though, no surprise sincer it's Robert Holmes.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
It's a sound canvas composition, you're missing out on the awesome piano. The soundtrack is all terrific though, no surprise sincer it's Robert Holmes.

Hmmm in the install screen for GK1 there is only a MT-32/LAPC1 etc.... option and a General MIDI (which technically a Sound Canvas would play just fine). Maybe I'll try General MIDI with my JV-1080. Mabye the GOG of GK1 is a different version without Sound Canvas?

EDIT:

gk1soundcanvas.png

READING IS TEH HARD! :oops:

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
:lol:

Sierra always listed their SC compositions as GM in the installer, and I don't think they actually use any of the GS specifications (or the extra tones) but they were all composed on the SC-55. By the time the later (SC-88) modules came out they'd already moved to digitized tracks (Phantas 2, GK2, and so on)

Admiral jimbob

gay as all hell
Wasteland 2
Finally playing Severance: Blade of Darkness. Completed the first level as the Knight. Fun game once you get used to the odd controls - not that they're bad, they're actually great, but they take a bit of getting used to - but I cannot for the life of me work out how to do the special combos. I only have the one unlocked so far, the level 4 Gladius one, but it just won't work. Am I supposed to attack, then press A and W at the same time? Attack, then A, then W? All three at once? Attack, then one of the two? Nothing works!

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
You should try freddy pharkas - frontier pharmacist, Jaesun.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom