Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What game are you wasting time on?

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
I'm having a blast with Cities XL 2012. It's not SimCity, and the cities start to look alike afer some time, but it's still a great game, should keep me satisfied until the new SimCity arrives....

E2vtK.jpg

Twinkle

Liturgist
Finally playing Severance: Blade of Darkness. Completed the first level as the Knight. Fun game once you get used to the odd controls - not that they're bad, they're actually great, but they take a bit of getting used to - but I cannot for the life of me work out how to do the special combos. I only have the one unlocked so far, the level 4 Gladius one, but it just won't work. Am I supposed to attack, then press A and W at the same time? Attack, then A, then W? All three at once? Attack, then one of the two? Nothing works!

Gladius? Press attack button, wait a bit, then press A and W simultaneously. Exact timing can be hard to get right at first, you'll most likely need to practice.

This site may be useful to you, the game is p. bad at explaining how advanced combat works:

http://webspace.webring.com/people/np/phileosophos/journal.html

kazgar

Arcane
getting my jrpg on with recettear, but I stuffed it and couldn't make the last payment, so err, guess i'm going around again.

Failure as a motivation, oh my!

Carrion

Arcane
Patron
Football Manager 2012. Again.

Although I wouldn't say that I'm wasting my time on it. It would be more accurate to say that it is stealing my life away from me. I've been playing Outcast too but it's been a few days since I even touched it. Saving the world can wait because if everything goes smoothly, Exeter might play in the Premier League next season!

Admiral jimbob

gay as all hell
Wasteland 2
Finally playing Severance: Blade of Darkness. Completed the first level as the Knight. Fun game once you get used to the odd controls - not that they're bad, they're actually great, but they take a bit of getting used to - but I cannot for the life of me work out how to do the special combos. I only have the one unlocked so far, the level 4 Gladius one, but it just won't work. Am I supposed to attack, then press A and W at the same time? Attack, then A, then W? All three at once? Attack, then one of the two? Nothing works!

Gladius? Press attack button, wait a bit, then press A and W simultaneously. Exact timing can be hard to get right at first, you'll most likely need to practice.

This site may be useful to you, the game is p. bad at explaining how advanced combat works:

http://webspace.webring.com/people/np/phileosophos/journal.html
Got the hang of it, more or less - still can't pull off the dodge combos, but they don't seem that useful anyway - and kind of regret it. The game felt more fun when the combat was based around dodging, blocking and waiting for an opening than it is now that it's about spamming overpowered and unblockable combos. Killed the vampire boss in about ten seconds with the Elf Sword "dream" attack, after which I reloaded and instead engaged in a tense, difficult five-minute battle without using any specials. What the hell were they thinking? Is the Knight just overpowered?

Other than that, the mechanics are sound, and it has a brilliant Howardesque vibe that makes it wonderful to immerse oneself in. Hopefully the challenge picks up again later.

Bruma Hobo

Lurker
Just finished

:love:

Fucking loved it, but I missed the 8 virtues (that karma meter was useless). Also, magic axes ruined the combat for me.

PorkaMorka

Arcane
I was playing Steel Panthers World War 2, but I think I'll have to stop, one generated battle in my Long Campaign took about 7 hours and I'm only two thirds of the way through the battle, 59 more battles to go!

Quilty

Magister
Getting back into Cliffs of Dover, maximum realism style. The game feels surprisingly polished now that I'm playing it after all the patches. It's loads of fun.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Just finished Tex Murphy - Mean Streets for the first time. What an excellent game! I wish I would have played this sooner. A fun, enjoyable sold game. That timed shit at the end was rage inducing... but I got though it finally. And punching people in the face. <3

Off to Martian Memorandum...

EDIT: Martian Memorandum is fucking terrible as a game. Story was great. I'll just watch a LP.

I happened upon Galactic Civilizations (and its expansion) for two bucks at Half Price Books, and bought it on a lark.

...It's days later and I'm not entirely sure how I lost all that time. I've played enough that I'm capable of holding my own on Challenging (Large Maps), and neutral is truly the way to go.

Can't believe how short-sighted the AI is with money, though. If they have 456 bc at the moment, an appealing enough bait will get them to happily agree to give you 456 for *months*. I did this with the minor civs that kept popping up. Somehow they'd appear on the scene equal to everyone else, but once I tech'd up I'd offer them a tech dump and get their entire treasury for 50 months. They go broke, their ships blow up, and either I or someone else snap them up.

Edit: I don't know what it is about the Caranoids. Unlike the other Minor races if I leave them alone they'll actually try and win the game. I stumbled upon them once with 6 planets and in a pissing match with the Drenghin.

Bruma Hobo

Lurker
Cool, first playthrough?

I played it a lot some time ago, but never finished it before. I would transfer my avatar and play the next game, but I finished U6 two years ago, I think it's too soon.

Oh well, time to download Wasteland.

Texas Red

Whiner
You should try freddy pharkas - frontier pharmacist, Jaesun.

I played it when I think I was 8 or even less. Me and my brother were stuck in the game where you need to prepare medicine from all of those ingredients. At that time we didn't have good access to games, so went back to it every month or so with no success. I think later we discovered that you have to use the manual, which was of course thrown out in those naive times.

Doing a Falcon's Talons run in Ninja Gaiden 2. The terrible third installment's rendition of this weapon (among everything else) really makes one appreciate them in NG2.

Just waiting for GameFly to send me Digital Devil Saga and Dragon's Dogma now that Masturfect 3 and Ninja Gaiden 3 are on their way back.

Executer

Phrenologist
Project: Eternity
Currently flipping between Arcanum, Deus Ex The Missing Link and Stacking. Also multiplaying D3 with some RL bros as of yesterday.

sser

Arcane
Developer
Doing a Falcon's Talons run in Ninja Gaiden 2. The terrible third installment's rendition of this weapon (among everything else) really makes one appreciate them in NG2.

Just waiting for GameFly to send me Digital Devil Saga and Dragon's Dogma now that Masturfect 3 and Ninja Gaiden 3 are on their way back.

Jump, Forward Y, X --> Y.

Still remember that damn combo. And so many others.

Edit: Trying that "Heroes of Annihilated Emipres" from GoG; pretty interesting so far. Like a Cossacks-game, but with Fantasy-elements.

Also getting ready to play through IWD, just not sure what kind of party I want to take. My D&D knowledge is always thinning out and I forget what attributes need to go with what classes. Always gotta update myself on these things before starting another game.

laclongquan

Arcane
Icewind Dale 2. I abandoned MOTB to play this shit and the end is no where in sight.

Party of 6 with a Deep Gnome Rogue and Deep Gnome Rogue/Intimidator. Other than my arcane wizard and divine cleric, the other classes was squatted until I must level up (or get trashed). Level all up at the Battle Square challenge because those are hard battles. it's nice to smash them up and get the random loots there: Gold, Gems, Arrows/Bullets/Darts, Scrolls, or XP. If you are too high level that you cant get XP from killing, this is one chance to get XP. Otherwise you could get highlevel wizard spells here up to 9. OR get some darts to sell.

Currently stuck at the Monastery due to bug in pathing(?) map. I am thinking whether I should wipe out the monks.

Admiral jimbob

gay as all hell
Wasteland 2
I am giving up on Daggerfall and handing in my monocle or whatever. From the "RPGs you could never finish" thread:

I think Daggerfall might be joining this list for me :( I've played it before, years ago, but stopped after a few hours for some reason I can't remember. I've been playing it heavily over the last few days, doing well - possibly too well - and something about the game just leaves me really cold. I don't know why I'm not enjoying it much, as it has all the elements of a game I should be absolutely loving. Might just attempt the main quest.
I can't manage. Chargen was great, and I love so many of the ideas in this game, but I'm just not enjoying it much. On to Realms of Arkania instead.

Wyrmlord

Arcane
Is that the shallow depth of the game? Or the in your face force-fed lores? Bland AI? Uninspired writings?
While the game is level-scaled, the challenging and dangerous enemies don't show up until level 20+ or so. There is quite the shortage of Daedra Seducers, Daedroths, Fire Daedra, Frost Daedra, Ancient Liches, and Dragons - enemies that really turn the tables on a player.

So if you are under level 20, you end up finding the game too easy. Way way too easy.

This is the reason I abandoned the game 3-4 years ago. I found it too easy and I felt I was playing it too well.

BLOBERT

FUCKING SLAYINGN IT BROS
Patron
Codex 2012
BROS GOING THROUGH BINDING OF ISAAC GETTING UP THE ENERGY TO TRY VOTMB AGAIN

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom