Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What game are you wasting time on?

sea

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Zelda: A link to the past
Never played the Zeldas before but this one is quite fun in a mind-numbing way. I like how actual positioning in combat affects if you hit enemies shield or not, just a minor thing but its still more depth than most modern games have. :M
Pretty much every 2D Zelda is great (not counting the DS ones). If you like Link to the Past, play Link's Awakening, Oracle of Ages and Seasons. They're all awesome games and have some really difficult, well-designed dungeons and puzzles.

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
I did buy NWN 2 Platinum on last steam xmas sale but really cannot get into either expansion pack to my great disappointment.
Never liked the camera, yet I managed to finish the first OC long ago > NOt sure why.

Digital Devil Saga right now. I was expecting Nocturne Light™ and my expectations were mostly confirmed. It pretty much took all of Nocturne's core mechanics and watered them down. My main issues with it are that the three character party size sucks, the "Mantra Grid" is a terrible way of earning moves when compared to Nocturne's magatama and demon fusion, and the general lack of flexibility in dealing with the challenges the game throws at you (mostly a function of the shitty Mantra Grid).

That said, the game does have some upsides. Because it is based off Nocturne, the game functions well enough as a fun, dungeon-crawling blobber. Some of the random encounter groups are deviously done, especially the enemies who use freezing/stone moves and then have others in the group follow up with possible free criticals or instant death. Of course Most bosses fight relatively intelligently within their abilities; i.e. they don't walk into Repel or Drain shields and change their plan of attack based on any shields you might put up. The dungeons start relatively boring, but get better, adding some gimmicks and puzzles to spice up the killing.

Right now I'm pretty certain I'm near the end of the game, because I'm climbing a ridiculously tall tower, and all SMT games end in either some goofy sphere dungeon or a tall-ass building. Took a break from scaling the tower to clean up some side content, which amounts to a couple of waterway dungeons chock-full of powerful enemies roaming around. Unlike Nocturne, there doesn't seem to be much side content, and it isn't nearly as well dispersed throughout the game. The only two pieces of side content I found before killing the last enemy tribe leader and unlocking the giant tower climb was a fight against a giant snowman, and what I assume to be round one against a big, bad bug. Maybe there's some I missed though. Dunno.

So weeaboo-cru, how's Digital Devil Saga 2? Worth going for? And is there any goddamn way to make mastering mantras faster? Eating things just seems to give all the points from an enemy to one character, not actually make more net points, and the "AP Bonus" skill doesn't seem to do very much.

lightbane

Arcane
There's more side-content I believe, such as fights against super-powered demons

like Metatron, Orochi, that longass dragon whose name eludes me and a super-ultra-mega-hard secret boss unlocked during your second playtrough, that will rape you seven times before you can even say "OH SHIT!!".

I recommend giving DDS2 a try, my memory may be fuzzy about it but it was somewhat easier to master mantras, especially with the use of certain magic rings.

The game I'm playing lately is Project Wonder J, an obscure point-and-click/raising jrpg for the SNES. Too bad that the sequel is for the N64 and nearly impossible to make it work :decline:

Texas Red

Whiner
I lack that willpower.
Yeah, had to take a short break after OC, but MotB was kinda shortish so I started SoZ right away.
Played it with several spellcasters and it's always tons of fun. I find that being able to use tactical nuclear bombardment (since I load up my party with the NPC spellcasters as well) makes short work of combat, and since that's MOTB's weak point it makes the game so much more enjoyable.
Combat was p. easy with my crafted Longsword of Awesomeness, I even left my companions for AI to control :M Also, this time I took the path of Ibil, so resting was costly in terms of spirit energy and I like my spellbook full. Guess I'll try making a spellcaster on my good playthrough.

I recall playing MotB with an evil, soul devouring sorcerer on the hardest difficulty. It made the game quite fun actually.

Carrion

Arcane
Patron
Football Manager 2012.
Football Manager 2012.
Football Manager 2012.
Oh god.

Last night was horrible. I stayed up to 4 AM, which is not bad considering that the thing often keeps me up way longer. The thing that worries me is that I woke up 7:30 AM after having only rolled in my bed, my heart beating faster than a Slayer record. The only thing I can think of is: 4-1-2-1-2 or 4-2-3-1? In my last game with Exeter I managed to take a brilliant League Cup victory from West Ham by changing from 4-1-2-1-2 to a more experimental 4-3-3 with one defensive midfielder, two central midfielders and two wingers late in the second half (won 2-1 despite being down 0-1 at the break), which makes the choice even harder. I've got three central attacking midfielders that need regular playing time, so surely that particular tactic is out of question. Does it really pay off to constantly change your starting tactics to give playing time to every important player in the team, or should I just get rid of some players at the risk of fucking up the squad harmony I've been building for so many seasons? Also, what the hell do I do with that very promising Czech winger (hunted by teams like Inter and Man City) who has short, simple passing game as his player-preferred move and refuses to unlearn it? Should I give his 15-year-old countryman (also a VERY promising winger) a chance in the first team now that he's injured for a few weeks? And if I switch to using wingers regularly, will I have any use for my central midfielders anymore despite them being the backbone of the team all the way from the beginning? How will I keep all those fucking bastards happy?!

It's only a few months until FM2013 comes out, but I'm not sure if I'll live to see the day. The Steam clock says 376 hours but I'm nowhere near being finished.

RK47

Patron
Sims 3

...wife died of old age. That's the second one.
Went to the usual nightclub - and the bartender died of old age.
Illegitimate Daughter reaching elder stage.
Sims 3 : The Man Who Cannot Age
I should date a vampire.

RK47

Patron
Well Sims 3 does have aging enabled. So natural death is possible once you're past the Elderly stage.
Also time spent does not necessarily equate to age advancement - the more ppl in the household, the busier you get. I was simply managing my sim only - and not caring about what the daughter and mother does - so time passes quickly for me.

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
Spec Ops: The Line is wurming its way into my mind. Gameplay might be nothing to write home about but the setting, characters and story has kept me interested. First grimdark game that succeeds at grimdark and first military shooter that makes me feel uneasy about my actions in the game. It makes the player decidedly complicit in a way that 'No Russian' never did and the slow decline into insanity and hell is portrayed admirably. I'm surprised a publisher actually allowed this to be released.

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
Been playing my first and probably last big campaign of Gary Grigby's War in the East. The game is grognard heaven but simply too much of a timesink to play often. As a true codexian I choose to march the pride of the wehrmacht into the vast eastern steppes. Summer of '41 was Barbarossa with a twist. I put everything on taking Leningrad and creating a big enough threat to Moscow to make the AI send its troops there. Apart from this the aim was to destroy as much of the red hordes as possible.

Winter was a setback but not the disaster of history. Spring '42 I stabalised the lines in front of Stalins capital. With the commie overlord once again strenghtening that sector I moved all my rested en refitted panzer divisions in a giant pincer movement around it. Entire summer was spend keeping that kessel closed and slowly diminishing it untill my troops marched into the Kremlin late autum. Bagged over a 100 enemy divisions there and winter was quiet. It even allowed me to launch a handfull of small offensives to clean and shorten my lines.

1943 is usually the year where the Soviets get the upper hand in this game with growing numbers, better troops and the first appearance of the feared Tank Corps. The slaughters of the past years have taken their toll however. I've mustered the cream of the wehrmacht and ss for a push in the south. Leibstandarte Adolf Hitler, GroBDeutschland and Wiking together with almost all the panzer divisions and strong infantry support are ready to roll towards the Baku Oilfields in the Caucasus. If I make it this game is won, otherwise Soviet numbers might still turn the tide. Now I just need to remember not to have Rumanians guard my flanks for this advance.

Aeschylus

Swindler
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Just finished playing Stacking, the little adventurey thing by Double Fine. It's rather fantastic, a lot of really clever puzzles and charm.

The DLC thingy isn't as good as the main game though.

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
Been playing my first and probably last big campaign of Gary Grigby's War in the East. The game is grognard heaven but simply too much of a timesink to play often. As a true codexian I choose to march the pride of the wehrmacht into the vast eastern steppes. Summer of '41 was Barbarossa with a twist. I put everything on taking Leningrad and creating a big enough threat to Moscow to make the AI send its troops there. Apart from this the aim was to destroy as much of the red hordes as possible.

Winter was a setback but not the disaster of history. Spring '42 I stabalised the lines in front of Stalins capital. With the commie overlord once again strenghtening that sector I moved all my rested en refitted panzer divisions in a giant pincer movement around it. Entire summer was spend keeping that kessel closed and slowly diminishing it untill my troops marched into the Kremlin late autum. Bagged over a 100 enemy divisions there and winter was quiet. It even allowed me to launch a handfull of small offensives to clean and shorten my lines.

1943 is usually the year where the Soviets get the upper hand in this game with growing numbers, better troops and the first appearance of the feared Tank Corps. The slaughters of the past years have taken their toll however. I've mustered the cream of the wehrmacht and ss for a push in the south. Leibstandarte Adolf Hitler, GroBDeutschland and Wiking together with almost all the panzer divisions and strong infantry support are ready to roll towards the Baku Oilfields in the Caucasus. If I make it this game is won, otherwise Soviet numbers might still turn the tide. Now I just need to remember not to have Rumanians guard my flanks for this advance.
Impressive.

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Just finished the Frozen Synapse single player campaign. God damn this game is addictive. Had a pretty cool plot, too. Lots of semi-nonsensical Neuromancer-ish prose. :thumbsup:

Outlander

Custom Tags Are For Fags.
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Currently eating mushrooms and stomping turtles to death in Super Mario World. Made it to Chocolate Island but somehow the emulator refuses to save the game there so whenever I load it up I'm back at the Forest of Illusion. Pretty annoying.

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin
You might want to check the ROM you are using, and also the emulator for that matter. I also guess that you could use save states if it comes to that but I generally avoid to use them. SRAM data can easily be important from one emulator to another if needed.

Outlander

Custom Tags Are For Fags.
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Yeah, neither the built-in saves or emulator save states seem to be working in this area of the game (they did work up until there). I'm using Zsnes 1.51.

I guess I'll have to play the rest of it in one sitting.

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin
As iconic and important as it was to the world of emulation, ZSNES is now outdated and outclassed. I strongly recommend that you switch to bsnes, or at the very least Snes9x, since these happen to be modern and better emulators. There is little reason to use ZSNES today, save for running it on a very old computer or out of pure nostalgia.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Nonsense, just look at this glorious UI! Trully this is :obviously:!

download289.jpg

Morkar Left

Been wasting time on this lately after spending a long time searching for a space sim game. Not actually a sim at all, but I'll be damned if I haven't had this much fun with a game in a while.

The description sounds interesting. Can ou tell a bit more about gameplay? Is it freeform?

Papa Môlé

Arcane
Game has about 4 different gameplay types. First type is a 3rd person shooter when you are invading (or rarely, defending) a planetary colony. You have 20 guys with you at the beginning, which makes the battles look pretty biggish and exciting, but you can't really change them or the number of them at any point. You can however upgrade your own equipment, as well as learn skills, and also gain “runes” later which work as powers. The equipment for all the games four different races differs too and, at least in this section, they play very differently. There's no cover system (game is too fast paced for that anyway) but you do need to dodge behind obstacles and maneuver with a bit of intelligence later on when the colony tech starts upgrading and you have to deal with mechs, turrets, bombers, and such.

The next part is the space part. Races here are all pretty much play the same unfortunately but you can upgrade your ship like your soldier gear, and balancing between the two becomes a considerable part of the mid game. You either attack enemy space stations and have to get through their fighters, or occasionally a battleship as well, or defend your own. If you dock at a station and it comes under attack then you get called out to help defend it. Space fighting isn't all that deep, but it is pretty fun and you also have 20 guys with you like on the ground missions, so it's not like most of these space games where it's you against a dozen or more guys by yourself. Very arcadey but it works alright. You can also take on bounty missions to get extra money, but I didn't really find them worth the time as you don't make too much after fixing your ship (no allied help with the bounties).

Next is the exploration stuff. You get called out to investigate “unstable wormholes”. This is where the game's story advances too. It's pretty typical SciFi stuff but for a clicky action game it has a surprising amount of back history (if you care for that sort of thing). Anyway, you first have to find and then hyperjump to them. Later you get called back. When you jump normally or go through a wormhole there are two different minigames as well, the former has lightning bolts you have to dodge or take damage and the latter you have to stay inside the wormhole tube or take damage. Once you've gone through the wormhole you can search for unknown planets. You then have to land on it and plant some beacons to look for anomalies. After you fight through some local alien wildlife to get to any anomaly you have to do some kind of puzzle (different each time so far) and you get a rune with a special power to use in ground fights.

Finally, after you go up to the highest rank (doing missions earns you rank points, and each rank unlocks something new, like experimental tech or receiving enemy intel) you command your faction. These means you get to pick where to build new stations and colonies, what to build on them, and what missions you want to assign. Hardly a 4x here, or even an RTS really, but it makes the endgame more interesting. There's no diplomacy or trading or stuff like that though. You're perpetually at war with all the other 3 factions. [edit: actually, there's some very limited diplomacy that allows you to sue for peace eventually, hadn't gotten that far yet] Like most of the other gameplay elements it can seem a tad shallow (compared to a full tps shooter, space fighter, rts, etc.) but it's not flawed or frustrating either. Pretty much everything works like it's supposed to, is intuitive, and is something you learn over time as the game does a pretty decent job of introducing new elements.

You also have some freedom, you can say no to missions before you get to be commander but it's a good idea to do most really. Others have said it can get repetitive, but I still find it much less grindy than most action games or most space sims for my part. If anything, I think it's a bit short to play through with just one race but they are just barely different enough to make replaying worth it. You have your standard generic, jack of all trades humans, the psi-powered space lesbian/elf mystical salvation types who are fast but frail, the boy-fantasy hulking robot drones who are slow but tough, and some kind of “quirky” androids whose strategy seems to revolve around high-risk/blowing shit up tactics (haven't played those guys yet). Graphics are kind of okay. Space looks sort of nice as do the planets but the space stations are all interchangeable, even between races and the character models for the races are basically the same, except some slight facial differences with humans.

Still, for a twenty dollar indie game done by one guy I've had a much better time playing this than some AAA shit I ended up not removing from inventory because the Codex's endless wanking about it compelled me to try it. (I not removed this first, there is no DRM on it at all, but ended up throwing money at the dev afterwards; and if you don't want to not remove it first to try there is a demo). I don't think it will blow anyone's mind but it's pretty ambitious for a lone developer with some hired-out artists. Anyway I wrote this while completely stoned btw so apologies if I am repetitive or rambly and shit.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom