Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What game are you wasting time on?

Wunderbar

Arcane
replayed the original Doom, and also finished Thy Flesh Consumed and Sigil for the first time.

This was my first time playing it on Ultra Violence (last time I played Doom I was in high school, and i picked easy difficulty). Was using GZDoom, with freelook disabled, and perkristian's higher-quality SFX pack installed.

The OG Doom is a great game, I enjoyed it immensely. It's amazing how just cohesive and whole this game feels - the shooting, the enemies and the way they work together. Great soundtrack too.

Thy Flesh Consumed was a major letdown - other than the first two maps (which were ball-bustingly difficult), it was just an OK experience. Also a lot of annoying encounters and dickish traps made me use saves (I managed to finish OG Doom without saves). The flow was off too - the OG Doom had a such good flow i was breezed through episodes in just one sitting, but with TFC i did frequent breaks because of frustration.

I remember there was a minor controversy back when Sigil was released - some people (including major youtube reviewer Gmanshills) crapped on it for being too hard. I didn't find Sigil all that hard, after E4 it was almost a cakewalk. For the most part Sigil felt like "Thy Flesh Consumed Done Right" - it was fun, tight, challenging, and mostly fair. Mostly. Flows very similarly to E4M2 Perfect Hatred - the supplies are very scarce, and you are basically forced to use telefragging and infighting to get rid of enemies (I just googled and found out that e4m2 was also designed by Romero, not surprising). The only thing i didn't like about Sigil was the abundance of hurt floors with a very limited amount of hazard suits, had to ocasionally use saving.

Replayed Doom 2 and finished No Rest for the Living for the first time (it's a bonus episode made for Xbox 360 port of Doom 2).

I remember liking Doom 2 more than OG Doom back when i was a teenager - largely because it had a lot more monster types (and a super shotgun). After replaying the game, I think I don't like Doom 2 anymore.

OG Doom felt like a proper actual cohesive game, like journey you make from martian bases to hell and back. Doom 2 feels like a glorified mappack made by level designers of a very inconsistent level of skill. Some of the levels are pretty good (particularly Spirit world, the living end, refuelling base, etc), the rest of them are gimmicky, plain ugly, and a slog to get through. Downtown? Chasm? Barrels of fun? Get the fuck out of here.

New monsters are good and I can see wad-makers putting them to good use, but Doom 2 uses them in such way I was annoyed most of the time instead of being challenged. Picked up a key? A monster closet will open and a pack of chaingunners will torn you to shreds at a point blank range. You are walking on a narrow ledge? A monster closet will open and a pack of chaingunners will torn you to shreds at a point blank range. Picked up a supercharge? A monster closet will open and a pack of chaingunners will nulify your supercharge at a point blank range. Walked into a large open area? A monster closet will open and a pack of chaingunners will torn you to shreds from afar, and you won't be able to do anything because autoaim prefers enemies that are closer to you, or because chaingunners are elevated. Walked into a teleporter? A pack of chaingunners will torn you to shreds at a point blank range and you won't be able to react because you of a green teleporter sprite obscuring your view. Fuck that.

I know it's not fair to compare an original game with a wad, because a wad was made by designers with years of knowledge of how to use the engine and enemy roster, but. No Rest For The Living is like a masterclass on how to make Doom levels, this new episode blows Doom 2 out of the water. Distinct visuals, creative secrets, memorable level layouts, tough but fair encounter design. Chaingunners are used in a much tolerable way - they are almost always packed together with other enemies so it's easy to make them shoot their buddies in the back and trigger infighting.

Don't think i'll bother with TNT Evilution or Plutonia, from what i've heard it seems like those two expansions only amplified the worst parts of Doom 2 to meme levels. You know it's bad when even random youtubers make fun of chaingunners spam in Plutonia.

Last edited:

HansDampf

Arcane
My memories of TNT Evilution: Chaingunner snipers chipping my health from higher platforms that are too far away for vertical auto-aim. In darkness.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
I can't remember which WAD it was, but on one MAP27 Doomguy comes across a room with four long ramps tiered up and they're FULL of chaingunners.

I've never played that WAD in vanilla Doom2, but on Brutal Doom is quickly devolves into minigun madness.

ELEXmakesMeHard

Learned
Enjoying CoM Archolos so much that I've put my 7th ELEX playthrough on hold for it.

After that it's time for Quest for Infamy again. Gotta achieve the perfect archery score, otherwise I'll never be a God Gamer.

Aside from that, I want to do more clan challenges in Northgard. That's been my go-to backup game for a very long time.

Ryzer

Prophet
Vatnik
Finishing Dying Light ::5/5::0/5::
Very average overall, I feel like the combat system with handed weapons is bad. I cannot block, parry and counter attack . Sure there are lot of options to use with your movement but not with the combat system itself. The overall level design is very good and it's fun to roam in Haram/ The Slums. The main quest is indeed bad as well as the side quests, I counted some FedEx quests in the bunch... The itemization is trash, I have to scroll a lot and nothing is sorted through lists. The crafting mechanic is terrible because DLCs adds crafting recipes that craft completely broken weapons and I wonder why they added a fucking loading time each time I craft something... Also they should stop adding chests tied to the lock picking mini-game, I just HATE this fucking mini-game.
However the night,the ambiance and the sound design are superbly done in this game.

Dragon Age Origins::2/5:
God this game is so boring honestly. Everything seem like it was created for a single player MMO RPG. Combat is crap and boring, quests are serviceable I guess, consequences are minimal, the setting is generic, the story is LOTR basically and the fade. However the party chat is really good and funny, every characters have a lot of personality and can be fully controlled and deeply configured which is nice. Also the game is flooded with trash encounters, fuck this...
I don't think I will ever finish it, I'm only at the beginning and I'm already fed up.

Last edited:
I'd recommend trying Plutonia. It's absolutely tough, but in a fairly good way with clever maps and the hitscanners are used well rather than all over the place.

TNT Evilution sucks though. The maps are bad (well the first bit is OK but 15-30 is definitely almost all awful) and it's like 80% hitscanners with no variation. Romero IIRC said something about how invisibility was considered a debuff in vanilla Doom/Doom2 and the intent was to change that with shotgunners and chaingunners everywhere.

For example just compare the enemies in these two levels:

https://doomwiki.org/wiki/MAP23:_Tombstone_(The_Plutonia_Experiment)
https://doomwiki.org/wiki/MAP23:_Lunar_Mining_Project_(TNT:_Evilution)

Evilution maps are commonly low-tech maps with scare resources and an almost Doom 1 roster that barely utilizes the advanced enemies much, and most of the damage you take will be from turning a corner and getting hitscanned. OTOH Plutonia takes full advantage of revenants, archviles, mancubi and so on. Plutonia is really the precursor to modern Doom WADs.

Last edited:

Curratum

Been having a lot of fun with this one, it's a plotless Myst-lite and has workshop integration with a bunch of very fun rooms and puzzles released already.

ferratilis

Magister
Dragon Age Origins::2/5:
God this game is so boring honestly. Everything seem like it was created for a single player MMO RPG. Combat is crap and boring, quests are serviceable I guess, consequences are minimal, the setting is generic, the story is LOTR basically and the fade. However the party chat is really good and funny, every characters have a lot of personality and can be fully controlled and deeply configured which is nice. Also the game is flooded with trash encounters, fuck this...
I don't think I will ever finish it, I'm only at the beginning and I'm already fed up.

I recommend trying DA2 and Inquisition. They are so bad that Origins will seem like a masterpiece in comparison. You might develop a new appreciation for the game that way. ;)

laclongquan

Arcane
Fallout New Vegas, Tale of Two Wasteland mod, with 3 runs back to back.

Then because of that, I was curious and install Fallout 3 for the first time. 2 run back to back until I abandon it because my chars are 100 in all skills before even reach level cap. FFS!!!

Now back to FNV/TTW , but this time, set level 14 with 0xp, 4x slower level rate. i must say, there's plenty of great mods in F3 that havent been able to get converted for TTW. A damn shame!

orcinator

Liturgist
I played Wrought Flesh, the organ swapping boomie shooty.
It sucks, is like 2 hours long and costs 20 bux (didn't pay for it though but I feel bad for the guy who filled the request).

Kabas

Arcane
Patron
Continue to very slowly go through Planescape: Torment: Enchanced edition
What passes in this game as a combat dungeons is a hot garbage so far. The modron maze was an absolute slog even though it was the only one that featured a somewhat challenging fight against a construct wizard, granted nothing that a combination of Ignus terror and confusion spell couldn't solve.
The main and the numerous side-plots still continue to be interesting even if most of it involves a lot of running back and forth which i hate.
Annah is a cute. The part where Ignus teaches you his spells by mutilating you was cool. Fall-from-grace is also cute but Annah is cuter...
Currently at the sensate society.

Operencia: The stolen sun. Despite not being impressed with the warrior in a tutorial prologue i still decided to make my main character a big burly woman warrior. It's a nice game so far, i like how fast the combat flows.
Just completed the first dungeon and currently in forest area.

Wyatt_Derp

Arcane
S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Call of Pripyat. Played a bit of SOC back in the day, but never committed. Call of Pripyat's got me by the balls, though. Great atmosphere, hard as hell. Love it.

BruceVC

Magister
I just finished Bioshock 1 after 50 hours and its a good game and recommended. It has appealing action game mechanics like combat strategy and a variety of weapons and ammunition that you utilize in battles and I enjoyed the lore and overall narrative of Rapture

I am now moving onto Bards Tale Trilogy, Im very excited about playing this CRPG...Im not playing it in Legacy mode because Im a noooooooob :P

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I beat Detroit: Become Human. It's the only Quantic Dream game that I have beaten. It took me circa 12 hours. There are some decent moments in the game, but unfortunately, there's also a lot of cringe writing.

I tried Mortal Shell, but the game didn't click with me. That has been true for every Souls game or Soulslike since DeS and DaS1. I guess that I had my fill.

I'm going through the story mode in Mortal Kombat X. I am utterly awful at fighting games. I put the difficulty on very easy, just to have a few chuckles at the story.

These are all PS+ games. My sub ends in roughly 20 days, so I'm checking out what I missed. For the first time in seven years, I am not renewing my subsription.

BLOBERT

FUCKING SLAYINGN IT BROS
Patron
Codex 2012
I've been on a bit of a binge lately. The release of D2 Resurrected got me started. I then played and completed Mortal Shell, Jedi Fallen Order, all 3 Bioshock games, and Legend of Grimrock 2. I started playing the Witcher 1 last night with the intent to finally play it all the way through.

BRO NEVER CHANGE

A WIFE AND KIDS AND JOB WILL FUCK UP YOUR RPG GOODNESS FOREVER

BLOBERT

FUCKING SLAYINGN IT BROS
Patron
Codex 2012
Divine Divinity! I enjoyed that game way more than I thought I would. Also started playing Darkstone after only ever playing the PS1 version back in the day. Surprising to see you get 2 characters to use in this version.

BRO I FOUND FIRST DIVINE DIVINITY WHEN I WAS RPG STARVED

THE DIABLO GAMEPLAY WAS OK BUT THE WORLD INTERACTIVITY WAS AWESOME

UNFORTUNATE THERE WAS EXPLOITS TO DESTROY THE DIFFICULTY

BLOBERT

FUCKING SLAYINGN IT BROS
Patron
Codex 2012
S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Call of Pripyat. Played a bit of SOC back in the day, but never committed. Call of Pripyat's got me by the balls, though. Great atmosphere, hard as hell. Love it.

Are you playing completely vanilla?

BROS COMING FROM A SORTA POPAMOLE PERSPECTIVE

I SORTA LIKED STALKER AT FIRST

I GOT ALL THE MODS THEN I HAD A TOTAL BONER FOR THE GAME FOR A LONG TIME

ALL THE GAMES I MEAN THE MODS MAKE THEM FUCKING GREAT INSTEAD OF FUCKING GOOD

YldrE

Learned
Recently I played Iridion 3D and its sequel Iridion II.

Usual move from tech demo to sequel: the first one is overly simplistic but looks almost impossibly good for the GBA, the second one is less technically ambitious but much richer and more enjoyable.

The first one is saved by its technical prowess, it may be barebone but it's fast, smooth and doesn't pull dirty tricks on you. In essence it's a not-shit version of Star X.

My impression of the second game is that it was made by people who aren't really knowledgeable about shmup classics but had their mind in the right place: "what if we had an enemy that did [x], what if we had a weapon that did [y], what if we had [z] environmental hazard..." Perfect example of when to call a game "charming": someone with no experience tried to make the gameplay deep and varied with gimmicks that are sort of endearing in their naive nature.

Games mentioned above:

Jvegi

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Still trudging through BG2 on hardcore SCS with damage scaling.

I'm in Mind Flayer's city and I can see how bringing non-optimal npcs like Mazzy or Valygar is a serious hindrance on higher difficulties. I think I'll be fine, but switching to insane doesn't seem to be an option now. Perhaps on a later run.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom