Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What game are you wasting time on?

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
Having just finished Storm of Zehir for Neverwinter Nights 2:

- With some mods and such the game works well enough for such a janky engine. Even the camera can be wrangled, but it'll take time.
- Zehir tried some interesting things but never really develops room to breathe. The merchant company stuff is still more interesting and profitable crunch-wise than the stuff from Owlcat games though. Other than that the overall smaller dungeons are appreciated, as are the odd-ball features like Teamwork feats. The way the campaign tries to offer something for every skill is certainly welcomed. I think you can legitimately make a pure skillmonkey character in this and do well. The lack of stand-out gear is disappointing but I suppose if you want to really min-max you have to craft that shit yourself.
- With Kaedrin's PRC Pack you get a TON of new stuff to play around with, it almost leads to decision paralysis. My party consisted of a pure cleric, a bard/stormsinger (kinda useless), a barb/fighter, a ninja and a warlock. The ninja especially presented an interesting mix of instant-use abilities and straight damage from sneak attack. Also very flavorful. You can go invisible at will, can see ghosts, cast blur and so forth. Solid. The Warlock/Child of Night was so-so. Tentacles and Acid Webs forever and ever were certainly appreciated but it takes a lot to micro them correctly. Not optimal, but not bad. Certainly enjoyed playing them and felt flavorful.

I almost feel like playing MotB again.

SumDrunkGuy

It only took about 20 minutes for Dollhouse to give me brain cancer so I started playing The Sinking City instead. I'm really loving the atmosphere and I already feel invested in the world. The shooting is horrible and the framerate is sub 30 at all times and the movement is atrocious and I have resorted to beating enemies to death because my bullets seem to fly in the opposite direction of their target. Still having fun though.

I just realized it's extremely easy to exploit stuff in this game. I have decided to roleplay as a psychopath detective. I took a bribe from a fish man and then ratted him out anyway for further profits, AHAHA!

Last edited by a moderator:
Playing Witcher 1, vanilla with some bug fix mods. I tried some graphics packs and stuff just bugged out constantly. I might try another run with everything just dumped into the /data/override folder and see what sticks. Rise of the White Wolf changes the UI despite me telling it not too. Grrr. But beyond that the game looks better than I remember in the 2000s.

Chapters 1-2 were a slog. The only good thing out of Ch 1 was Zoltan and the ending. Ch2, the investigation was neat and more complex than I initially thought, but FFS Kalkstein should've been charged by the hour, as well as prorated for all the crap Geralt had to do. Fuck that guy. Ch3....this is where I'm at now and the game seems to finally be opening up. Game is piss easy so far, but the soundtrack and plot make up for it.

Zenithsan

Educated
Hosting my own WoW 3.3.5 server to play it like a singleplayer rpg.
Just cleared Deadmines and Shadowfang Keep with my pally
Vanilla rates in everything so I'm taking it slow, just a chill side game to play while listening to podcasts or high as fuck

I've also done other adjustments like making it rain 24/7 and get 3 talent points per level

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
I took a very brief look at The Stanley Parable Ultra Deluxe, and I was not impressed.

For some reason this 'upgraded' version was ported to the Unity engine.

The new content mostly revolves around a bucket, but I also spotted a Rocket League-reference, complete with stadium and balls.

And I swear that the narrator sounds tired and old. Just like the game is. It's a one-trick pony that overstayed its welcome long ago.

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
lack of stand-out gear is disappointing but I suppose if you want to really min-max you have to craft that shit yourself.
We speak of the same game that had the Fang of Zehir?

Which you get after the game is over.
Doesn't end with Zehir's defeat.

Technically but by that point you're pretty much done on both maps. Or is there new stuff AFTER you defeat the Herald? Other than Sa'Sani.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
lack of stand-out gear is disappointing but I suppose if you want to really min-max you have to craft that shit yourself.
We speak of the same game that had the Fang of Zehir?

Which you get after the game is over.
Doesn't end with Zehir's defeat.

Technically but by that point you're pretty much done on both maps. Or is there new stuff AFTER you defeat the Herald? Other than Sa'Sani.
Just all the side gigs, I suppose.
Could always import the dude elsewhere, but point taken

Jack Of Owls

Arcane
I enjoyed Storm of Zehir a lot, but man; msg to newbies: don't even think about going into this game half-assed. Its new economic/trading mechanic is not optional and is in fact crucial to completing the game. I didn't dedicate 100% to it - only about 90% - but that 10% was enough to gimp me in the end to the point where I couldn't complete SoZ, tho I wanted to. Still, it must have been a good game if I failed and still liked it. It dared to try something different from the typical D&D NWN formula.

Are there any good NWN2 custom campaigns that utilize SoZ's features? Always felt like such a bummer that NWN2 and SoZ had so many things that would lead itself to great custom campaigns and great mp campaigns but the community seemed to stay attached to NWN1.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Are there any good NWN2 custom campaigns that utilize SoZ's features? Always felt like such a bummer that NWN2 and SoZ had so many things that would lead itself to great custom campaigns and great mp campaigns but the community seemed to stay attached to NWN1.
Probably legacy of White plume mountain

Jack Of Owls

Arcane

Yeah, what ERYFKRAD said. Legacy of White Plume Mountain. Decent open world NWN2 campaign that could be challenging if you strayed too far and wandered into an area or dungeon with higher lvl encounters. Before playing it, you might want to get the unofficial fan patch at https://neverwintervault.org/ which is not by the original module author. Otherwise, you hit crashes in some of the first multi-level dungeons when you try to delve deeper that the original author was never able to resolve (though he tried).

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
I took a very brief look at The Stanley Parable Ultra Deluxe, and I was not impressed.

The new content mostly revolves around a bucket, but I also spotted a Rocket League-reference, complete with stadium and balls.

And I swear that the narrator sounds tired and old. Just like the game is. It's a one-trick pony that overstayed its welcome long ago.

This game was overrated shit back in the day. I couldn't believe he took another kick at the can and that people were fellating it again. I was irritated at myself for buying it the first time.

JDR13

Arcane

This game was overrated shit back in the day. I couldn't believe he took another kick at the can and that people were fellating it again. I was irritated at myself for buying it the first time.

I saw it on Steam the other day and literally laughed out loud that they're charging $25 for it. There are a lot of gullible people in this world.

thelegend

Learned
Finished Driver San Francisco - One of the best racing games- very weird game- good story - reminds me of maxpayne. Actual game mechanics which works in the game. AI is good . Has a lot of variety of races.
Doesn't have tracks as good as hot pursuit. Simple and extremely fun to drive.
Drawbacks - Collusion mechanics suck
Recommend it.

Jack Of Owls

Arcane
Speaking of which, thanks to you i recieved a strong urge to start a warlords battlecry 2 campaign.
Made a Daemon Summoner who summons daemons and succubi who harvest souls for me so that i can have more mana for summoning more daemons.

Already controlling 17 provinces and i am about to crush the pathetic orcish citadel.
oxw1ZF8.png

They're going to join humans and dwarfs soon.
j1hO0BX.png

I went back to the Protectors Mod because I decided I needed all those bugfixes, QoL features, new features, new areas, and new sensations. They're planning on releasing the entire Warlords Battlecry II campaign in v0.9.0. I also went back to Protectors because I finally figured out that you can very quickly overcome those lvl 1 keep restrictions in TPC (which requires gold crowns to research) by sending members of your retinue out to search for gold crowns before you even participate in your first adventures/encounters. I originally thought you had to search for research upgrades to those Keep levels through adventuring on the map yourself which seemed tedious. But, man, the world of Etheria in The Protectors mod is massive. Was it this size in vanilla?

yPBqmKl.jpg
Edited: Answering my own question. Er, yeah. Definitely bigger... but is it necessarily better? Here's the original Warlords Battlecry III map:

9qFnzHl.jpg

Last edited:

The Decline

Arcane
Playing Demon's Souls in RPCS3. I'm amazed at how many details were hidden by the low resolution of the PS3.

Thinking about playing Bloodborne after, but I want to jailbreak my PS4 and try it with the frame timing patch mod and fps unlocker.

Puukko

Arcane
Playing Demon's Souls in RPCS3. I'm amazed at how many details were hidden by the low resolution of the PS3.

Thinking about playing Bloodborne after, but I want to jailbreak my PS4 and try it with the frame timing patch mod and fps unlocker.
DeS looks cleaner and sharper than the later games at equivalent resolutions, on top of being able to handle arbitrary framerates. It's like they went backwards on a technical level.

jackofshadows

Magister
RDR2. Overall kinda dull (most probably this heavily depends on how much one loves western setting: I like it but not this badly I guess) so far but at least it allows me to play as a proper motherfucker, haven't seen anything like this in mainstream games. Waiting already for several *it'll bite you in the ass later* bits but who knows, maybe I'll be rewarded for some instead in this game.

Starting to have certain fatique over all sorts of console-related bullshit, controlling scheme firstly (yet again). UX in general, too, it's not a torture as in some other "ports" but close enough. Various limits on supplies instead of proper inventory/management system is also annoying and I see now where guys from Days Gone took these ideas (and probably many more devs of console games which I haven't played). The highlight was "locked" weapon in a weapon store. Means I see it and the price, and I have the money and yet cannot buy it and don't even know the *requirements*. For fuck's sake, game, don't show it maybe then if you think that is too powerful for me now?!

Anyhow, I've slowed down the *story* progress and delved into hunting - there's bunch of mechanic around that and since I never played any focused games on that I'm having fun with it for now.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom