Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What game are you wasting time on?

v1rus

Arcane
Sometimes being grossly overpowered in a game can be all kinds of fun. Now generals are something they don't teach you how to make in the in-game tutorials, only in the manual, so I spent a good part of the early game being curb-stomped by every low-level wanna-be dragonguard dick that came along. Omnipotent mage characters were always my favorite to play in NWN so I should play one here. Did you try the Protectors mod? It ended up annoying me to no end because of the difficulty ramp (even on Easy) since they use a severe gimping mechanic (only lvl 1 keeps permitted until you find the upgrades on the map while the enemy factions have no such restrictions) and I wanted the intended experience for my first play through so I went back to vanilla. But it might be a challenge for Warlords Battlecry vets like you that helps cut down on the cheesing.

I havent, actually havent heard of it at all. Ty, will check it out sooner or later, for sure.

Also wouldnt call myself vet, its more like... Me and my friends found the game being sold by a random pirate while we were... 11? And since then, I've been in love with it. The last time i beat campaign was a long, long time ago, and I just cant wait to realize I'm hugely misremembering something.

General wise - hm. Not sure what you are referring to. Generals should be the ultra elite unite of every faction - blackguard for Dark Elves, summoner for Chaos, etc. And you should be able to make one, just like making any other unit, if you meet the requirements ofc. Perhaps you are thinking of the retinue (characters tht follow your hero)? But yeah, putting generals in retinue rocks.

Kabas

Arcane
Patron
Sometimes being grossly overpowered in a game can be all kinds of fun. Now generals are something they don't teach you how to make in the in-game tutorials, only in the manual, so I spent a good part of the early game being curb-stomped by every low-level wanna-be dragonguard dick that came along. Omnipotent mage characters were always my favorite to play in NWN so I should play one here. Did you try the Protectors mod? It ended up annoying me to no end because of the difficulty ramp (even on Easy) since they use a severe gimping mechanic (only lvl 1 keeps permitted until you find the upgrades on the map while the enemy factions have no such restrictions) and I wanted the intended experience for my first play through so I went back to vanilla. But it might be a challenge for Warlords Battlecry vets like you that helps cut down on the cheesing.
You should definitely check out the second game. Some people prefer it to the third one despite having less options(or so i heard) and after trying it myself i can see why.
It features a bit more involved level-up system in which your character gain his/her class only at level 2(fighter/rogue/priest/wizard), at level 3 his specialization(Warrior/Barbarian, thief/merchant, necromancer and etc.) and after that can spend points on attributes, skills, perks and spells. Funnily enough, barbarian barbarian is a possible race/class combo.
Avaliable perks depend upon your race and chosen specialty and have stuff ranging from simple "+5 merchant skill" to "triple damage against undead" or "all cavalry are produced in half the time".
The third game kinda simplified the whole system but in turn allowed all of the race/class combinations so you can have your faery fighter.

Second game also features a risk-like campaign in which your chosen warlord must conquer all of the Etheria with difficulty rising as you keep playing the same faction encouraging you to take over enemy citadels in order to command their races in battle.

Naraya

Arcane
Gave a little shot to Dune Spice Wars. Eh, I think this could be fun in multiplayer but definitely not in sp. Also, art-style is total crap. Music too. All in all looks like a mobile game which isn't necessarily a bad thing like I said but if someone was waiting for the new Dune game - forget about that.
I agree(d) with you. Actually today I thought to myself that I just can't see how SP campaign could work here, especially with so huge maps.

If someone was waiting for the new Dune game - forget about that.
This x100.

Jack Of Owls

Arcane
You should definitely check out the second game. Some people prefer it to the third one despite having less options(or so i heard) and after trying it myself i can see why.
It features a bit more involved level-up system in which your character gain his/her class only at level 2(fighter/rogue/priest/wizard), at level 3 his specialization(Warrior/Barbarian, thief/merchant, necromancer and etc.) and after that can spend points on attributes, skills, perks and spells. Funnily enough, barbarian barbarian is a possible race/class combo.
Avaliable perks depend upon your race and chosen specialty and have stuff ranging from simple "+5 merchant skill" to "triple damage against undead" or "all cavalry are produced in half the time".
The third game kinda simplified the whole system but in turn allowed all of the race/class combinations so you can have your faery fighter.

Second game also features a risk-like campaign in which your chosen warlord must conquer all of the Etheria with difficulty rising as you keep playing the same faction encouraging you to take over enemy citadels in order to command their races in battle.

Yeah, I heard the 2nd game was much more satisfying to play and you got a better feeling of conquest and progression. WB3 kind of makes you feel like you're stagnating or spinning your wheels a bit in regards to the map and the campaign. But everything else feels right and I like the gameplay so much in WB3 I'll probably end up getting 2 at some point. FWIW, there's a mod for WB3 called Conquest Campaign that simulates the Risk-type progression of WBII. Don't know if it's any good or not.

Gaznak

Learned
Blood & Magic turned to be a super cool game. I tried it once long ago and wasn't be able to grasp its coolness that time. Now I'm completely enchanted, and sucked into a Bloodforge. Another proof of the unsurpassable greatness of 90s in gaming history.

Codex Year of the Donut
Tried to play Thea 2 and I quit within 15 minutes.
As soon as tutorials start popping up everywhere in a game I start losing interest fast. If you have a new tutorial popping up anytime I open a single menu or do something, I'm just going to stop playing.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Resonance of Fate. Quite different for better or worse. Combat is fun, but exploration is a mixed bag. Music is okay, and graphics are distinctively Tri-Ace esque.

At some point, might give more meaningful thoughts about the game. I'm currently at chapter 5, might write something when I hit chapter 10.

All I will say for now is that it's a very unique game. I will leave you all with this video (must watch):

Krivol

Magister
Gothic 3... ok, after more than 30 hours I can say this game is too big for itself's good. I mean it's getting more and more repetitive after a while and there is still so much to explore. Also, the main quest is shit. I mean...

I got to Xardas and he said something something blah blah bring some artifacts. No reasoning, explanation, nothing, just 'it's according to my plan!'.

I believe that it will bring some explanations and jaw-flooring plot twists, but so far I am not interested. Meeting Robhar was also like 'blah blah, nice to see you, now go fuck yourself.

Char progression is boring, after learning smithing to 2nd level it seems like there is nothing better to find. Oh, and the idea of 'number of opened chests affects loot' is just stupid! Yes, it helps to avoid breaking the game, but where's the fun in that? You tried different spells and weapons and killed 2 dragons early? So what? You will get a healing root for that and 30 gold!

And even creators knew about those 2 dragons' problem, as MC is saying to Milten that 'Dragons were somehow stupid' :D (that was cool actually).

Rieser

Scholar
Tried to play Thea 2 and I quit within 15 minutes.
As soon as tutorials start popping up everywhere in a game I start losing interest fast. If you have a new tutorial popping up anytime I open a single menu or do something, I'm just going to stop playing.

Tried Biomutant the other week and refunded within an hour for the very same reason. Absolutely infuriating mess of a tutorial that forces you to stop playing every other god damn minute to have another inane, ""immersive"" tutorial. Just let me play the damn game and stop treating me like an illiterate retard.

Playing Elden Ring now which has its faults, but certainly not in this regard.

Starwars

Arcane
Finished my replay of Toonstruck. Had tons of fun with it and I would probably rate it as one of the funniest games I've played. Holds up very well. The characters are the highlight for me. Always found myself looking forward to the interactions with them and most of them are funny and very well acted.
The gameplay is not great, and kinda bad in some places. The puzzles aren't very good, and some are downright bad. Also, it's a bit unfortunate that the second part of the game is weaker. It's set in a more confined space and, while still funny, doesn't compare at all to the first part where you go to fun places and meet all the great characters.

But still, an amazingly fun time was had. Loved it.

I am now replaying Lamplight City. It's a pretty cool game with a nice feel to it, and it's always nice to play a detective-game. But the "voice in your head" character of Bill really brings down the whole experience. A judgemental, "snarky-humored" character who takes every single opportunity he gets complaining about rich people.
It's a big part of the plot obviously but the character is so annoying that I find it hurts the game. Really wish it had been more of a straight up detective story in that sense because that's the interesting part of the game.

Ezekiel

Arcane
Infamous: Second Son is the last PS4 game I still have to beat finish. It has the weirdest HDR I've seen in a game. Just trying to discern things is so difficult all too often, especially at night or when a light source is glowing near you. Looks worse without HDR. Of course they throw all the typical artificial lens crap on top too, which doesn't help the issue. Seems to be covered in dry moisture even when it's not raining.

Ivan

Arcane
Quite proud of myself for dropping shit that wasn't resonating and gladly recommending shit that did

Dropped: Far Cry 4 (I wanted to like it as much as I did FC3, but I realized that the reason why I enjoyed myself so w/FC3 was b/c of Ziggy's Mod, which made it feel more like Stalker, not like the vanilla casual shit). Immortals Fenix (sounds mechanics, but dragged down by casual Ubisoft progression), The Dungeon of Naheulbeuk (dungeon crawler with slow movement, janky animations, and pretty annoying VO writing). South Park Stick of Truth (novelty wore off quickly, especially once I experienced the boring, common combat, the boring itemization).

Loved: Sagrebrush. Gonna play more of the indies I picked up during bundles recently. Hope to find more hidden gems like Sagebrush. Shorter, more focused affairs.

Last edited:

Kabas

Arcane
Patron
Speaking of which, thanks to you i recieved a strong urge to start a warlords battlecry 2 campaign.
Made a Daemon Summoner who summons daemons and succubi who harvest souls for me so that i can have more mana for summoning more daemons.

Already controlling 17 provinces and i am about to crush the pathetic orcish citadel.
oxw1ZF8.png

They're going to join humans and dwarfs soon.
j1hO0BX.png

Jack Of Owls

Arcane
Loved: Sagrebrush. Gonna play more of the indies I picked up during bundles recently. Hope to find more hidden gems like Sagebrush. Shorter, more focused affairs.

I love movies 'n' shit about cults and how easily manipulated and gullible human sheepoids are and how they can be shaped, bent, twisted, and pounded into mindless minions to do with what you will so I should check this out. It's not a common theme for games.

Utfärd

floor13.png

On that note I'm replaying the original Floor 13. I like how it not only deals with cults and secret societies but actually acknowledges directly the fact that the entire general population is brainwashed through media manipulation and puppet politicians. Quite unusual. Made in 1991 as well. Game is as excellent as always and it kept me entertained all day yesterday. I really thought I had it in the bag when I suddenly got terminated for a reckless kidnapping of a semi-VIP which attracted far too much attention, this while enjoying a forty point lead in the polls (all because I wanted to finish a prestige assignment for you know who). Real trick is to sit back and let bad things happen while still not dipping into the sub-50 support zone to let the outrage meter decrease, so to speak, reserving heavy assault and kidnapping orders strictly for where they're needed the most.

ferratilis

Magister
Wanted to play some ToEE with CO8 patch. Started the tutorial, went down the ladder to meet the mage (which is what I remember from playing it years ago), instead got teleported to a map with some mean looking ogres, and got insta killed, of course. Don't know whether it's a bug or a feature, but it's interesting nonetheless.

Unwanted
Dumbfuck
Ape escape 3, love the gadgets and how each one has a different control scheme, the monkeys are also interesting and have a lot of personality. Love Sayaka, i want to have a daughter now.
EjhFOQf.jpg

nk2HL71.jpg

It's a shame about what happened at the anniversary.
npGN6D0.jpg

Shortly after Sony Japan Studios closed down, no new Ape Escape then.

Azalin

Arcane
Patron
Finished Dusk the retro boomer shooter.I liked it in general,the graphics are made to look like something that came out in the mid 90's,the tone of the game is darker to make it fee a bit like games of that era like Quake,Doom,Hexen etc.The level design was imho good for a modern game and the weapons and enemies were interesting.All in all recommended

Ezekiel

Arcane
Finished Second Son.

Hm... Good. One of the better PS4 games I've played. Plays better than Horizon, not as pretentious as what Naughty Dog and Santa Monica did that generation (minus maybe Lost Legacy), doesn't waste as much of your time as Spider-Man with its open world. Feels a little less made by committee. Story and characters are weak, but most of these kinds of games have that in common.

in-FAMOUS-Second-Son-20220505023332.jpg

Had all those upgrades left after I finished. That's how sick I am of all the upgrade trees in games, of going through those menus, reading those descriptions and trying to decide, in every game. Boring.

Jack Of Owls

Arcane
I liked the Infamous series on PS3 myself. My most vivid memories in gaming of being high up on rafters or steel girders looking down at all the baddies I would soon end and feeling immersed came from that game.

Edited: that and Dying Light, of course.

Gamezor

Learned
Still playing salt and sanctuary. I still like it but it’s definitely a metroidvania / souls 2d mashup and as such a map would have been nice. It’s a genre staple in metroidvanias for a reason. Had to break down and look up where to go and it was simplu a passageway I forgot about.

Reever

Scholar
Patron
Finished Mafia Definitive Edition. I played the first one a little bit when I was young but never really got into the series. Therefore I don't have a point of comparison to know if it's better or worse than the original.
I did enjoy it for the most part. I played it on Classic difficulty which really encourages getting headshots and not just shooting and reloading blindly. I really liked the AI too for the most part. I has faults but it's much better than most AAA games nowadays. The enemies try to peek from cover at different angles and if you focus too much on one guy the others try to flank you and so on.
The story is somewhat generic which is not necessarily a bad thing. You can tell some of the twists a mile away but I didn't mind that much as I'm a sucker for the setting. Speaking of which, the atmosphere is on point and the city is rich with details.
What I didn't like was the movement and in general the controls. It feels very stiff at times and I think that's a case of consolitis. I've also had my fair share of bugs, some of them extremely annoying.

SumDrunkGuy

I just started playing Dollhouse. It's presentation is... extremely Bioshockish. Everything down to the title introduction looks like it was ripped directly from Bioshock. And the load times are over a minute long. Sheesh. I have a feeling this one is gonna be a real stinker. Good thing I only paid $3 for it.

I don't even know what is happening. Wtf is this game?

Last edited by a moderator:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom