Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What game are you wasting time on?

thesecret1

Arcane
Playing Per Aspera – a strategy game where you terraform Mars. Almost done with it, and it's rather underwhelming. I'm playing on the hardest difficulty and it's practically impossible to lose so long as you aren't totally inept. Enemies (the scarce few that are actually in the game, barely worth mentioning, really) are braindead and will be instantly wiped from the map the moment they appear, and the resource management is kind of pointless as there's resources out the ass all around, the only difficulty being actually getting to them – which, in itself, is just a waiting game, really.

There's a tech tree and special projects and building upgrades and stuff like that, but all of it is so simplistic and shallow that it's not really worth mentioning. Make numbers go higher so that you can upgrade buildings to make other numbers go higher. Given the absence of challenge, it doesn't really play a role.

The only thing the game has going for it is the theme, as they clearly try to be a little in-depth about the whole terraforming stuff. It's still pretty game-y and simplified, of course, but it's got some neat things like manually affecting the atmosphere and its pressure, etc. There's also the story, but it's dogshit garbage clearly written by uninspired hacks, so it's best to just ignore it.

:2/5:
I do not recommend it to anyone, unless you have a severe itch for resource management strategy game AND are really into the whole terraforming Mars idea. And even then, you won't be returning to this game after you finish it.

Jack Of Owls

Arcane
Playing Demon's Souls in RPCS3. I'm amazed at how many details were hidden by the low resolution of the PS3.

I haven't tried RPCS3 in years. Does it emulate most games 100% now? I wouldn't mind having a go at Red Dead Redemption.

Some games, like Drakengard 3, play like a dream in RPCS3 PS3 emulation; while others, like The Last of Us or, unfortunately, RDR, play like ass stank. Some classic PS3 games ie Infamous, don't play at all in emulation. If you want to play RDR on an emulator, play using the Xbox 360 one. Fairly smooth 40-60 FPS experience if your cpu is decent enough. I have it in my curated launchbox collection, and only the good stuff gets a place of honor in there.

NerevarineKing

Learned
I've been on an ARPG kick recently. Replayed Diablo 1/2 and Torchlight. Played through Torchlight 2 now I'm playing Victor Vran, which is really good so far.

JDR13

Arcane
Some games, like Drakengard 3, play like a dream in RPCS3 PS3 emulation; while others, like The Last of Us or, unfortunately, RDR, play like ass stank. Some classic PS3 games ie Infamous, don't play at all in emulation. If you want to play RDR on an emulator, play using the Xbox 360 one. Fairly smooth 40-60 FPS experience if your cpu is decent enough. I have it in my curated launchbox collection, and only the good stuff gets a place of honor in there.

I'll keep that in mind. Thanks.

It never occurred to me to see if there was an Xbox 360 emulator. I never owned that console and had zero interest in it since there weren't any exclusives I wanted to play.

Jack Of Owls

Arcane

I'll keep that in mind. Thanks.

It never occurred to me to see if there was an Xbox 360 emulator. I never owned that console and had zero interest in it since there weren't any exclusives I wanted to play.

I don't know the specific reasons for it but I saw comments from some players and reviewers who had played RDR on both platforms strongly recommending the Xbox 360 version over the PS3 port. I know Fallout 3 also had issues with the PS3, IIRC. A bit ironic since the PS3 is widely regarded as having the better hardware. I still have my PS3 in storage and own about 20 titles on disc, though I transferred all the ISOs over to the PS3's 2TB hard drive I installed using the hardware/firmware hacks so I don't have to deal with that clunky and primitive optical drive that's from the Age of Annoyance anymore.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I beat Avernum 6. That means that I have completed Avernum 4-6. 4 being the worst, 5 being my favorite, and 6 being good, but not great.

If 6 was the absolute end of the series, the ending is fairly underwhelming. Not sure that we will ever see a seventh entry.

I'm very far in Tower of Time. I don't think I have much left of the game. I took a minor break from the main story, and focused on the combat challenges that you can do. I'm still not using the dwarf, because I don't feel like I am using him properly. My current party of the human tank, archer, the druid, and shadow queen mage are doing much better.

Jack Of Owls

Arcane
Still playing salt and sanctuary. I still like it but it’s definitely a metroidvania / souls 2d mashup and as such a map would have been nice. It’s a genre staple in metroidvanias for a reason. Had to break down and look up where to go and it was simplu a passageway I forgot about.

I feel like there might be a good game somewhere in there but man what an ugly ugly artstyle. Not a fan at all of that murky, dark, burnt graphic novel, paper cut-out look that kind of melts into the backgrounds, even when darkest dungeons did it.

CthuluIsSpy

Arcane
Playing UFO Afterlight right now.
I sort of like it, but there is a lot of stupid bullshit mechanics wise.

- The real time with pause system is really annoying because of the constant pausing from characters ending their turn.
- You cannot recruit new soldiers, which in a game where soldiers die easily late game is a stupid idea.
- whoever thought it was a fun idea to have the AI spam an enemy that just lobs grenades at you and chain knocks down your soldiers is an asshole. And since its RTWP you can quickly lose your entire squad.
Also see the previous point to why this is especially stupid.
- You only get one base. Its basically nuXCOM before nuXCOM was a thing, complete with overpowered human soldiers who can solo entire armies of aliens. Which iwouldn't be too bad if there wasn't a scripted event where the enemy cheats and attacks your only base even though they wouldn't normally be able to. You know, like that scripted event in the nuXCOM games where the AI attacks your base and if you lose you die.

Last edited:

Kabas

Arcane
Patron
Wizardry 8
Things i liked:
-Voice acting
-Your party reacting to everything
-Classes having unique toys accesible only to them, like engineer gadjets or samurai-only gear.
-You can find a hat that gives +10 to trap disabling skill "that no decent rogue will be caught dead wearing it" and rogues indeed can't wear it.
-Sounds you hear during a trap disabling mini-game
-Dialogue based on finding keywords
-First dungeon is fun to explore

Things i disliked:
-Respawning enemies
-Combat
I didn't found the game difficult or something but it's is indeed takes a few weeks to dispatch a group of rats. Every other element of this game is vastly more enjoyable compared to that.
Right after leaving the monastery and witnessing a band of crustaceans coming from the horizon to violate me i felt that yes, i had enough of this. I barely took a step on the Arnika road and it's already filtered me.

Gamezor

Learned
Still playing salt and sanctuary. I still like it but it’s definitely a metroidvania / souls 2d mashup and as such a map would have been nice. It’s a genre staple in metroidvanias for a reason. Had to break down and look up where to go and it was simplu a passageway I forgot about.

I feel like there might be a good game somewhere in there but man what an ugly ugly artstyle. Not a fan at all of that murky, dark, burnt graphic novel, paper cut-out look that kind of melts into the backgrounds, even when darkest dungeons did it.

I dont hate it, but its not good. I don’t really like the everything is dead aesthetic of souls games in general. Why not do something colorful or like blasphemous or ori?

Tweed

Professional Kobold
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
Despite my complaints about it I blew a hundred hours on Horizon's Gate. Game actually has some very good user-generated content for it to help populated the barren landscape and some creative classes. I might of considered trying to learn how to mod it myself, but I think everyone has moved on. Hopefully Rad Codex can fix the shortcomings for their next game.

jackofshadows

Magister
RDR2 is starting to fucking test me. It's almost current year game, I get that and that's why the writers very carefully approach racism and even violence against woman, not to mention rape but fuck me: the story means mandatory mission where we accompany a rally of woman for woman rights to vote? And now the side mission: turns out that helpless old man who has been talking about the goverment ruined his life was a slave owner. So the main character (a murderer, a thief and the list goes on) condems him (I don't get to choose at all). Christ. What's next, animal rights activists will come out from the bushes next time I go hunting?

Also I don't know if that's just a game mechanic or not but first time I decided to rob some homestead I walk in, see some drama's going on between a negro dad and his son. I shoot the dad, press his sun for the stash, he tells me and after that I'm unable to kill him too. So I had to listen his groaning and whining while I was looting their house. Then suddenly though after I've found a letter from the kid's mom the game allowed me to mock the nigger kid saying something like "don't grieve him too much, he's been hiding mum's letters from you, she's actually bla bla..".

Last edited:

AdamReith

Magister
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is.
RDR2 is starting to fucking test me. It's almost current year game, I get that and that's why the writers very careful approach racism and even violence against woman, not to mention rape but fuck me: the story means mandatory mission where we accompany a rally of woman for woman rights to vote? And now the side mission: turns out that helpless old man who has been talking about the goverment ruined his life was a slave owner. So the main character (a murder, a thief and the list goes on) condems him (I don't get to choose at all). Christ. What's next, animal rights activists will come out from the bushes next time I go hunting?

Also I don't know if that's just a game mechanic or not but first time I decided to rob some homestead I walk in, see some drama's going on between a negro dad and his son. I shoot the dad, press his sun for the stash, he tells me and after that I'm unable to kill him too. So I had to listen his groaning and whining while I was looting their house. Then suddenly after I've found a letter from kid's mom the game allowed me to mock the nigger kid saying something like "don't grieve him too much, he's been hiding mum's letters from you, she's actually bla bla..".

I'm amazed Rockstar games are still making big money, as far as I was concerned the edgy humour was the only thing that made them worth playing.

GTA5 and RDR2 are like meeting a wild dog again after its been castrated. Damn sad thing.

Reever

Scholar
Patron
RDR2 is starting to fucking test me. It's almost current year game, I get that and that's why the writers very carefully approach racism and even violence against woman, not to mention rape but fuck me: the story means mandatory mission where we accompany a rally of woman for woman rights to vote?

Iirc this video made headlines in various "news" outlets like WaPo. His channel even got banned for a while for this.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Got my wisdom tooth pulled on Wednesday. Pain is still there, so I'm just playing some shovelware that was sitting in my library. 1-2 hour games. Can't even out headphones on, so these games will have to do.

I am also playing a little bit of Resonance of Fate. There are good and bad things to say. In short, I like that despite being low level, you can win battles if you line up your attacks properly. On the other hand, the balance is sometimes whack. At some points, you just have to grind. I'm stuck at a dungeon in chapter 8, and I am 10 to 15 levels lower than people recommend. We'll see what I will do. So far, being low level has been fine, until now. I made some rearrangements in equipment. Hopefully, I can take down the boss on my next try.

Self-Ejected

Zizka

Self-Ejected
I don’t play games anymore. I think the last time I thoroughly enjoyed a game and couldn’t wait to play was Jagged Alliance 2 and UnderRail to a lesser extent. Too many resources are being invested in the best graphics race now, which is not what I consider what the most fundamental aspects of a game should be about. I doubt there will ever be a pendulum effect which leads back to Chess and less towards action rpg.

d1r

Busin 0 Wizardry Alternative Neo fanatic
Patron
I don’t play games anymore. I think the last time I thoroughly enjoyed a game and couldn’t wait to play was Jagged Alliance 2 and UnderRail to a lesser extent. Too many resources are being invested in the best graphics race now, which is not what I consider what the most fundamental aspects of a game should be about. I doubt there will ever be a pendulum effect which leads back to Chess and less towards action rpg.

There surely must be at least one game about "buttons". There has to be!

Ol' Willy

Arcane
Zionist Agent Vatnik
Used to play ARMA 2 a lot a decade ago.

Recently reinstalled ARMA1 and OFP to remember how it was before.
OFP has tonnes of mods still available (lots of sites went down but lots are still kept) and there are certain mods that still get updates (for example, RCWC, massive 15GB mod with lots of mostly accurate units). Commendable for 21 years old game.

But then I remembered why I never did stick for long enough with Bohemian games.
I don't play online and AI is absolutely braindead. In fact, the difference between OFP and ARMA2 is minimal. Same vibes.

So I wonder: haven't played ARMA3, is AI there still that bad?

Couple of pics for weight

hsqC4rtAc73xGxDTeRSbgbABFjRnrpAWUFslFPM-M1WFG-jiTcJT8AjtvoDPLVKSbMRww3zcq_P8Zwss1UACGD3n.jpg

yc-gqQptehwCCd6XN4oW9JqBpa7Qm8tBa5W_ARpdsIkdUsVzrU-fa09UktJ-DM4QGZ7B5HQ_v0eWIDWcIWkb-ec8.jpg

Caim

Arcane

There surely must be at least one game about "buttons". There has to be!
Sure, I know one.

Modron

Arcane

Play this instead

In the grand tradition of MicroProse and Jane’s Combat Simulations, ICBM puts you in the hotseat: you are USAF First Lieutenant Derek Evans, Ellsworth Air Force Base’s newest Deputy Missile Combat Crew Commander.

ICBM was inspired by the extraordinary pixel art of Denis Loubet and the incredible series of Trinity articles at The Digital Antiquarian.

silohmu45.png
B5BE28908BCA6FB406DABFB5A111A584D88246D6

Seems like the main website went defunct but it can still be downloaded from here: https://gamejolt.com/games/icbm/57197

Maxie

Wholesome Chungus
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
I've started playing this Legend of Tianding game, it's a Taiwanese knockoff of Guacamelee set in the fin de siecle Taiwan when Japan ruled them, you play as their local Robin Hood figure who robbed the Japs and gave to the poor
It's markedly more challenging than Guacamelee, also because the bulk of all enemies is just humans with weapons and the biggest gimmick is stealing the weapons and using them against them. You may remember from late game Guacamelee those enemies you could not dodge through to avoid damage, here they are introduced in Chapter 1. There's also a lot of enviro challenges, because Tianding can swing on a rope of cloth, which always propels you forward, often through spikes, toxic sewage, etc., it's rather difficult to land a really good jump since you have to make a lot of corrections mid-air. It's Guacamelee in every other regard, though. I wish it was full 2D instead of having 3D models, but it's not terribly jarring.

SumDrunkGuy

Pretty much done with Control for now because the 1st DLC left a bad taste in my mouth and I unlocked all the trophies anyway. I might go back to it some time and play through the last DLC.

I'm currently playing through Tormented Souls and just absolutely adoring it. You play as a one-eyed girl who beats amputees and paraplegics to death with a crowbar and digs through garbage for heroin. It's a wild ride.

curds

Magister
I'm playing Risen while waiting for my buddy to finish Gothic II so we can play Archolos for the first time together. I was playing the Velaya mod for G2 but I got bored of it.

Overall, I'm finding it to be simply a lesser version of G2, BUT, holy fuck, Harbour Town has so much content crammed into it. I haven't left the city walls for, like, 5 hours, and I'm still finding new stuff to do. It's quite impressive considering how small the town actually is. Deserves a spot in Lilura's "Content-Dense Quest Hubs" write up on her award winning blog.

Joonix

Novice
Went back and played through all of Doom 1 & 2 and Plutonia Experiment with Brutal Doom Platinum. So fun. Going through the top rated megawads now, currently on Alien Vendetta, but wanna play through Valiant and Eviternity, and probably Plutonia 2.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom