Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What game are you wasting time on?

Spukrian

Savant
I'm replaying Vampire the Masquerade Bloodlines. I've played it a few times but only actually finished it once. It's weird that I remember so much despite it being almost 15 years since I last played it.

I'm also playing The Talos Principle. Just finished the main game and started the dlc. It's a great game.

Ivan

Arcane
Nightmare of Decay
Very enjoyable throwback to RE1. Slow combat, Deus Ex-style reticle, great sound effects, subpar ambient sound, a little easy on Normal, solid level design. Worthwhile 2-3 hour experience.

Little Misfortune
A little too railroaded, not enough agency/player input for my liking. Great art and surreal tone, solid music to boot. I expected more from the Fran Bow team, but as a narrative driven walk/sim, it could be worse, it's fine.

I am playing Disco Elysium. It is better then planescape tormented.
I myself prefer Planetscape Tournament.
please, we know all bend the knee to Tides of Numa Numa

CthuluIsSpy

Arcane
Playing xenonauts with community edition mod.
It was a mistake, CE actually makes the game worse. CE seems to buff the AI's accuracy to obscene levels, where they can shoot you through 3 windows and one shot a suit of predator armor. This applies even to sebellians, who are supposed to be shit at long range.
To makes matters worse, but the mod makers are terrible at documentation, so you have no fucking idea that the mod is doing this unless you dig around and discover that the AI isn't actually supposed to be able to do that.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
I've started playing Escape from Monkey Island. It's pretty funny so far. But whoever came up with that control scheme... did not do a very good job.

Kabas

Arcane
Patron
Still going through the base campaign of Age of Mythology, the extended edition version.
I am currently at norsemen part, missions are fairly varied so far which i like. I liked the one in which you have to sneak through the pirate blockade and set up base in their backdoor. Or the one in which you get turned into pigs and need to save your fellow soldiers from the hungry villagers.

Hard to tell which of the three original factions is my favourite so far, everyone has something cool to offer. Hydra gets extra heads as they kill more people, Seth faction teaches your priests to convert wild animals to your soldiers, one of the egyptian powers gives your pharaoh a bird head that makes him stronger, frost giants have this cool animation in which their breath freezes their enemies, etc.

Doesn't look as good as Age of Empires 2 DE, but it's never gets old watching cyclops throw people around.

Vic

Savant
Undisputed Queen of Faggotry Bethestard
Still going through the base campaign of Age of Mythology, the extended edition version.
I am currently at norsemen part, missions are fairly varied so far which i like. I liked the one in which you have to sneak through the pirate blockade and set up base in their backdoor. Or the one in which you get turned into pigs and need to save your fellow soldiers from the hungry villagers.

Hard to tell which of the three original factions is my favourite so far, everyone has something cool to offer. Hydra gets extra heads as they kill more people, Seth faction teaches your priests to convert wild animals to your soldiers, one of the egyptian powers gives your pharaoh a bird head that makes him stronger, frost giants have this cool animation in which their breath freezes their enemies, etc.

Doesn't look as good as Age of Empires 2 DE, but it's never gets old watching cyclops throw people around.
Loved this game when it was new, some of the levels and cutscenes are still vividly in my mind after all those years!

Puukko

Arcane
Put a few hours into Satisfactory with bros. These factory autism games have been on my radar but I hadn't pulled the trigger before now. The game appears to be in a good state which is to be expected considering how long it's been in EA. For the most part, I just noticed some creatures clipping into things and conveyor belts having buggy visuals at times. After a few hours, we had a nicely sprawling mess of production lines with occasional blackouts, and were just getting into coal. The progression system basically tells you to craft x amount of things to be granted new recipes and access to new materials. It all ties together nicely and you've always got something you want to acquire or improve. The devs aren't sure if there will be a price increase for 1.0 but I can think of worse things to spend 18€ on.

laclongquan

Arcane
Fallout New Vegas total conversion projects

Dust: 20 years later in a world where Courier fuck up everything~ Your only quest: survive to get out of Mojave. Your starting locations: 7 choices. Top class! I waste about 3 months or more on this until I finish it all.

Obscurum Pandemic: A world gone mad. You start out basically amnesiac with 9 choice of backgrounds (memories) corresponding with each starting locations. You go out there, kill your way toward the boss party, kill them, build your empire, and now REALLY start to conquer the game.

Days of Chaos: 5 years later after Courier fuck up the world. You explore and... it's a half-made one~

Welcome to your new hell: a Silent Hill horror theme Mojave where you start by escaping your asylum. Not a good game because the pyramid conehead resurrect in full health once getting killed. The atmosphere is okay for hikers, but gameplaywise it's not so good.

Fallout New California (aka Project brazil): Basically it give Courier a past as born and raised in Vault 18, way back near the border of NCR. The whole thing is an adventure to find out your heritage, dealing with Enclave, SM, NCR, mobs, raiders etc... Think of it as FNV Prologue in another map.

I wont play Frontier after this because Tale of Two Wasteland should be 3.3.2 by now. It's time to upgrade and replay that DC war front~

Baron Dupek

Arcane
Trying to beat Iron Storm in the original form. Did World War Zero before and didn't like it much.
I've heard about sneaking sections and how bad they are, don't remember them in WWZ tbh?
Getting into POW camp was easy - AI had no weird episodes, drops some (not all) guns and get past the selection, easy as pie. Underground lab where shit hit the fan and spawned tornado in random places - because alarms spawns immortal Siberian wielding rocket launcher machine gun (tm) when at best you have assault rifle with one mag. I know it's immortal because you fought few of them before, and headshot works most of the time... when their rockets don't land on your face, that's it. Each encounters feels like Quake 3 RL duel but at least in Q3 you could survive rocket in the face.
Then you have armored train section where alarms activate automatic turrets, just reach the switch before you die to lead overdose.
edit - no, I've forgot about 2nd anti air defence system. You can't go directly to the 2nd post and throw nade inside to remove guards. You need to walk into 1st wagon, starts scripted alarm sequence, go upstair to belltower (?), pull the lever to ring the bell (??) and then snipe enemies from 2nd AA post, otherwise they're immortal (???).
what

These sneaking section had some issues with AI and maybe scripts and had to restart the whole levels to not reach unwinnable scenarios where immortal rocket MG trooper is chasing you, or get stuck in places where he shouldn't be there.
Even watched some videos where people went through these sections and they didn't have these issues.

Highest difficulty setting means both enemies and player dies fast, but with rocket launcher troopers there's no chance for me to even try it.

Last edited:

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I beat Return to Krondor. It was worse than Betrayal in Antara. Writing, combat, everything is bad. These guys had no idea what made the first game good. Luckily, it isn't that long.

I reached chapter three in The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel. While it is fun, I feel like they looked too much at Persona for the structure of the game. Just do your own thing, Falcom. Don't play if you dislike lots of cutscenes and talking. I'm enjoying the game, and I like the locations you visit.
The combat is solid. It's not "press attack" to win, but if you're used to turn-based combat, you'll be fine. Characters are so-so. There are some decent ones, but in general, I like the less than Trails in the Sky. Maybe I will change my mind during the course of the series.

In Sands of Destruction, the party is so overpowered, that I can one shot most enemies. This game will likely be sold after I complete it. I don't see myself ever replaying it.

I have been dabbling with Grimoire on PC. I have only done my party and walked around for a bit.
In short burts, I am also playing the visual novel Eliza.

I wanted to play something similar to Antichamber (puzzle game), so I went to its Steam page and looked for related games and found two games, Manifold Garden and Superliminal.

Before going into those two I'm just going to do a quick overview of Antichamber; I haven't played it recently but I will compare both of them to it. Antichamber is a puzzle game with a fairly minimalist art style (simple graphics, textureless white walls, etc) where you have a gun that can place and manipulate small coloured blocks in order to get around obstacles. Most puzzles were based around use of this gun but some were based around interacting with the environment, such as being able to break out of an infinitely looping corridor by walking backwards, or where a walkway over a gap will only support you across it if you walk slowly enough, etc. Every puzzle would have a short cartoon or message appear on the wall near it after completing it, often with some comment or observation about life. It had a lot of content and variety and some legitimately challenging puzzles and I consider it a 10/10. Sadly it doesn't have very much replayability but there's a lot of content in it.

Manifold Garden felt a lot like Antichamber and I suspect a fair amount of inspiration came from it, although the nature of the puzzles is different. Manifold Garden has a similar art style with lots of flat, textureless white walls, but differs in that it also has a lot of windows, mostly outdoor areas or very large rooms, and has infinitely repeating geometry. There's a section at the end of Antichamber where you end up on a series of walkways in a vast empty void and if you jump off, you fall back to the same ones. Manifold Garden feels like it took that idea and ran with it; most areas have some large structure which repeats off into the distance in all directions. Manifold Garden's two main gimmicks are this infinitely repeating geometry, and gravity mechanics. Facing any surface you can interact with it to make it "down" and there are a total of six directions that you can orient yourself to; a fair amount of navigation in the open areas is jumping off the building you're on while you have gravity set to take you where you want to go, and landing on the same building from the other direction. Coloured blocks can be interacted with and carried when you're oriented towards the gravity that they are, and this forms the basis of the puzzles. Speaking of the puzzles, for the most part I found Manifold Garden's puzzles pretty easy. I don't know if this is a common experience but personally I felt the game was far too easy and most of the experience was looking at the neat levels.

The levels certainly do look nice, though. Where Antichamber (made by a couple people) had pretty minimalist design, Manifold Garden (made by many people), despite the lack of textures, has very detailed levels, with all sorts of architectural details like columns and detailed archways, pagoda roofs, etc. It's a bit like playing inside Google Sketchup. Most interior levels will have windows to the exterior, and sometimes these are exterior areas you can't normally get to. However, in parallel to the main campaign, there's actually a series of back ways you can take, with hidden doors and entire levels, basically, that you'd see in the main campaign but not realize you can get to without poking around very carefully for the secret entrances. It's a pretty nice addition, especially since most of it wasn't in the game at launch and was added for free later. It also has an actual soundtrack, although it only kicks in periodically and isn't all that good. I'd give Manifold Garden an 8/10; it looks nice and has a sort of dream-like feeling to it (much like Antichamber) and the gameplay is engaging enough, but it loses a couple points for being too easy. I'd dock more points, but the back route is hard enough that it adds a respectable challenge layer, albeit an optional one.

Last of all is Superliminal. I'd describe Superliminal as a cross between Portal and Korsakovia. Superliminal's main gimmick is that you can take an object's perceived size and make it into its real size. Take a chess piece, hold it up close to you so it's large on the screen, then hold it up facing the ceiling but still close to you, release it - it will now be further away from you but occupy the same percentage of the screen, thus larger. There's a few other gimmicks here and there for certain puzzles, but they don't come up often and the size changing thing is the main one. The art style is like Portal or TF2, very Source feeling, but environments tend more towards hotel rooms and the like. Like Portal, it's split into distinct levels, has an announcer talking shit to the player, etc. Like Korsakovia, it's set in a dream and has themes of the dream breaking down. Despite being sort of billed as requiring you to change the way you think or whatever, Superliminal's puzzles were really easy. As soon as you get a feel for the size changing mechanic - and it doesn't take long - the vast majority of puzzles become extremely straightforward and easy to complete. The other gimmick mechanics are obvious when they appear and really shoved in the player's face; there are no cases where you have to stop and come up with something substantially unorthodox like you might in Antichamber. I suspect Superliminal fell victim to playtesting. It felt a bit too walking simulator-ish, a product of the puzzles being too straightforward and easy, and unlike Manifold Garden (which also had generally easy puzzles, though they were nowhere near as easy as Superliminal's) didn't have the great architectural spectacles to make up for it. 5/10 - I don't think it's worth the money, but if you were pirating it or whatever it's an ok time filler.

HansDampf

Arcane
Manifold Garden looks cool but doesn't explore its own puzzle mechanics enough, so it feels more like you are playing a tutorial, and then the game ends.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Still playing Escape from Monkey Island. I'm in chapter 4 now or whatever it is (looking for the Ultimate Insult on Jambalaya Island) and I'm having lots of fun. I can see why people would be very upset about it at the time it came out, but today it actually makes for a very nice adventure game. Particularly, I first thought that it would be very dumbed down because of no mouse controls and everything that entails, but it has a fair bunch of clever/non-standard puzzle design to compensate for that.

I'm liking it more than LeChuck's Revenge :M

Unwanted
Dumbfuck
Maitetsu, visual novel for train otakus. Here's my wife hachiroku.
gUB2uzK.jpg

Derringer

Prophet
Fantasy Life (UK English). It's... not good. It's not horrible, but would not recommend. It starts slow and gets better, but not much. The overexplaining everything and shoving obvious twists in your face the characters don't figure out for hours is also really insulting. I can't even say it's because it's for kids, because there's just so much unvoiced dialog that doesn't do anything: No real characterization, no lore, no directions. It's a relatively rare 3/5 that's 3/5 for being so very average at everything rather than high highs and low lows. Even with the password to get an item that increases skill gain rate, gameplay felt like it didn't go anywhere either.

I liked how the crafting was handled I guess, that definitely had potential to go somewhere, though I definitely did not like how it was attached to classes. Crafting has you do a short rhythm minigame (do button taps, button holds, and pressing button to rhythm indicated by a pendulum) to determine result quality, and if you build one thing enough (like intermediate steps) you'll eventually learn to do it in bulk and/or automaticly. It's a good concept that didn't overstay its welcome and was engaging without being annoying (except when woodworking, where for some reason the pendulum to indicate timing will always be off screen unless you're at the station, making timing overly difficult if you need to switch to it). The problem is how it's attached to classes. While you don't have to switch to a crafting class (totally free and there's even fast travel to the swap point) to make things once you've obtained the class, not doing so carries an XP penalty to your crafting skill gains. This isn't much of a problem with gathering skills, since it just means you gather while you adventure, but with crafting it means it segregates itself from the rest of the game pretty bad. Once you've got the latest material, you swap to the crafting class, spend several minutes crafting till you've built enough variety to advance and learn new recipes, where you stop because you can't actually get the ingredients for them yet till you progress the story further so you swap away from it and forget it exists till you've completed the next area. Crafting jobs are also really badly balanced against each other: Alchemist is almost entirely self sufficient (it gains a bit from having mining skill, but not much), useful for any combat class with its potions, an easy money loop (make basic stamina potions and sell them), and even synergizes with Mage really well (uses same stats, gives stamina potions to feed mage's consumption of it). Meanwhile smithing needs mining, but also needs woodworking for its materials, which itself requires woodcutting for its materials.
Level 5 produces functionally average games, the ones they've made that are halfway decent are the ones where they were given a budget that they put into the game itself versus just dumping it into marketing since Inazoomer was successful, and even then you have to push yourself to complete stuff like Dark Cloud 2 since they just don't go anywhere.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom