Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What game are you wasting time on?

Jack Of Owls

Arcane
I wish I could travel back to 1995 to a time, to a certain callow, innocent state of mind, where I had the most fun I would ever have playing video/PC games, with Duke 3D, Wolfernstein 3D, Doom, Heretic, Quake, Shadow Warrior et al but I can't, so I must content myself with far-approximations like, say, Powerslave Exhumed. You can never go back, though you may be able to go home if you're desperate enough.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I was playing Bravely Default II, and actually feeling pretty good about the progress that I made. Got three new jobs. The Phantom, and two other jobs. Nice! Progress with the story, and get to a fight with one of the main villains. I do well the entire fight. Sure, some party members get knocked out, but I resurrect them. I get the boss to almost zero health. But of course, before I did that, I made sure everyone in my party was healed. After all, he might make a super move before dying. Alright, now let's finish this sucker off! Boss makes super move, killing all of my healed party members. I got fuming, and turned the game off.

To let off some steam, I messaged a bro, and we are now playing the pirate rpg, Tempest. We're sailing around, acting like we're good at the game, confronting every ship that we see. It's mostly going well, but I hate it when enemy ships escape. I would probably not have liked this if I played it on my own.

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
Finished Duke Nukem 3D. The last two levels of The Birth were pretty shit if I'm honest. The last one in particular, as you are essentially playing through a mirrored map...

Now I'm facing a crossroads:
  • Do I play through the DN3D expansions in order? (Potentially omitting Nuclear Winter)
  • Do I play Doom 64, which I recently acquired in GOG?
  • Do I play Strife: Quest for the Sigil?
  • Do I play System Shock?

Kabas

Arcane
Patron
Drox operative 2, i did play the first one. A hack'n'slash in space but the gimmick is that the AI plays real-time 4X game in the background that you can influence or ignore.
Didn't spot much differences from the first one aside from introduction of the new talent tree. Had fun for a bit, but lost interest during the second sector. Never reached the point of unlocking new races in both games.

Also tried Din's legacy demo from the same guys. My assassin mutated and got extra damage for his basic skill, new mirror image spell from illusionist that boosts his defeneces and an upgrade for my poison strike that now causes earthquakes.
It's actually fun.

Unwanted
Dumbfuck
Started Gunvolt 1 and played it for an hour, tldr is a good megaman clone even if it's more easy. Might finish it today because it's not that long and the game is really good.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
Finished Duke Nukem 3D. The last two levels of The Birth were pretty shit if I'm honest. The last one in particular, as you are essentially playing through a mirrored map...

• Do I play through the DN3D expansions in order? (Potentially omitting Nuclear Winter)
'Life's a Beach' is an OK Duke addon, the others not so much. If you've had your fill of Duke, you might want to give all of them a pass.
Strife is the most elaborate game released to use the Doom engine, and also a little different. I'd give it a go, at least.
DO play System Shock, the only question is whether you wait until the remake is released so you can do a side-by-side comparison.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
More Bravely Default II. The boss I wrote about in my previous post was defeated. I cast reraise on my entire party, so when he did his super move, my party were resurrected. Since then, I have been doing many side quests, and also fought some of the super enemies strewn around on the world map. There are two of these that absolutely stomps my party, which means that I need to come back at higher levels. I like the different job combinations you can play around with. I have 20ish jobs unlocked, but I I am not sure there are many more to get. While the game is clearly low budget, and sometimes suffers from performance issues, I am having a lot of fun. The ame is pretty straight to the point.

In Tempest, we found a new map to explore, which is good. Things were getting very repetitive, but this has given us a second wind. It's not an amazing game, but if you like to just pirate around, it fulfills it purpose. I read that there are some interesting DLCs, but I think will will just go with the main game. I haven't cooped this much in some time.

Sigourn

uooh afficionado

'Life's a Beach' is an OK Duke addon, the others not so much. If you've had your fill of Duke, you might want to give all of them a pass.
Strife is the most elaborate game released to use the Doom engine, and also a little different. I'd give it a go, at least.
DO play System Shock, the only question is whether you wait until the remake is released so you can do a side-by-side comparison.

I'm three levels away from finishing Duke It Out in D.C.. It's been fun, but a few of the levels have been rather short and overall they were easy compared to the base game. Or maybe I got better, I remember pig cops kicking my ass in Hollywood Holocaust.
I'll definitely play all of those games, it was a question of order mostly. Perhaps I'll go with System Shock next, and then Strife. Just to break up the pace.

AndyS

Augur
Galacticon is part of a recent wave of Golden Age-inspired, single-screen arcade games. The premise is that asshole humans are spreading through the galaxy terrorizing aliens, so the aliens resurrect the Galacticon, a super-being who seems like he should be immortalized in a Judas Priest song, to rescue imprisoned aliens while wrecking the humans. This takes the form of a game that looks kind of like Joust and plays a bit like Jetpac but isn't quite either. You fly around shooting stuff while gravity is constantly trying to pull you down, you can walk on the earth if you go to the bottom, and you pick up aliens and transport them to rescue transporters. There are some power-ups, just basic stuff like shields or a double-fire ability. Graphics really hit that early 80s Williams style hard. After each main level, there's a second stage in which you ascend to your mother ship while avoiding stuff, then head to the next planet. Every 10 levels, there's a final boss fight, then it loops.

Some of these games have an issue in that they feel like Frankenstein monsters assembled from pieces of various classics, and as indicated above this game isn't necessarily different on that, but the rescue gimmick and how it affects the scoring system give it enough wrinkles that it manages to have its own identity. You can carry up to four aliens at once and if you transport them all to the rescue sites you get a fat bonus, but carrying them all expands your real estate a lot and it's hard to protect the aliens from all the enemies that are flitting across the screen. Also, the aliens come in three colors - red, blue, and gray. Gray are neutral, but red and blue hate each other and if you, for instance, put a single blue in a transporter with three reds, the reds will murder the blue guy when the game tallies your bonuses between levels, so you have to be constantly mindful of which guys you're picking up, how many you want to grab, and where you're putting them. It makes the gameplay a lot more interesting. Definitely worth the $3 I paid for it.

Unwanted
Dumbfuck
More Bravely Default II. The boss I wrote about in my previous post was defeated. I cast reraise on my entire party, so when he did his super move, my party were resurrected. Since then, I have been doing many side quests, and also fought some of the super enemies strewn around on the world map. There are two of these that absolutely stomps my party, which means that I need to come back at higher levels. I like the different job combinations you can play around with. I have 20ish jobs unlocked, but I I am not sure there are many more to get. While the game is clearly low budget, and sometimes suffers from performance issues, I am having a lot of fun. The ame is pretty straight to the point.

In Tempest, we found a new map to explore, which is good. Things were getting very repetitive, but this has given us a second wind. It's not an amazing game, but if you like to just pirate around, it fulfills it purpose. I read that there are some interesting DLCs, but I think will will just go with the main game. I haven't cooped this much in some time.
I got 2 but i started the first one like a year ago, reached the third city and never got back to it. Have you played the first one? I remember a couple of users here saying they liked it but i just can't. Maybe i'm just not in the mood for RPGs, i've been playing and having fun with a lot of other genres lately.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Carpincho Pampeano I think that if you don't like it for its job system/brave-default system, you can safely skip it. There is one part in the game that pissed off most people who played it. To be honest, the best part of the game is some extra (optional? I forgot) challenging fights in the latter stages of the the adventure. While I did enjoy it, I wouldn's say you HAVE to play it. Personally, I just like job systems a la FFV, and the likes.

Puukko

Arcane

Last I checked System Shock EE had a long running bug that causes stuttery issues which made playing it feel like ass. I reinstalled it on a whim and nope'd out in record time. But this was a decent number of months ago, may not be up to date info.

Unwanted
Dumbfuck
Got bored of Azure Striker Gunvolt because of the lack of weapon variety, i was just at the boss rush before the final boss, can't be bothered. Going to start Silent Hill 3 now, i have spent literal liters of cum on the protag through the years without playing her game. I will now be able to fap proudly without feeling like a secondary.

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
Finshed Duke It Out in D.C. I think I only really disliked the Smithsonian Terror level. It was too big for its own good, particularly because there's a lot of walking around and backtracking involved.
Now playing Duke Caribbean. This one I immediately hated for a number of reasons:
  1. I don't like the vacation theme when it comes to the weapons or the enemies.
  2. I don't like the new music.
  3. I don't like the levels.
  4. And I certainly don't like those inflatable sea monsters that shoot on sight and are often placed in the most annoying spots.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
At the time of this post a Steam Summer Sale is going on, and only one game caught my interest: The Long Dark. So I grabbed it and gave it a go... and put it away and requested a refund after finishing episode 2.

For those not in the know, this is a survival horror-game with crafting elements in some ways akin to Subnautica and Breathedge, taking place in the most northern and remote regions of Canada. Gameplay-wise the primary differences between TLD and the other two is that TLD's gameworld is split into several large maps with loading segments (compared to the other's singular open gameworld) and a complete lack of vehicles. The latter part both works for the game as you have to plan your moves more carefully, and against it as it slows the pacing down to a snail's crawl. Getting from one end of a map to another, in a straight line, under the best of circumstances, takes about seven minutes of real time walking. Episode one only takes place on a single map (that isn't even fully used) while Episode 2 takes place on three sizeable maps.

But there are other differences that further separates TLD from the other games, and that into a lower tier. Subnautica (in particular) and Breathedge look amazing, they're a graphics whore's wet dream. TLD... is not. It has a low-poly art style, and an even worse character art style that only Ron Gilbert could love. The story centers around two white persons, Will and Astrid, and their skin is alabaster white... while their noses are flesh-toned. Ugh. (You have no idea how relieved I was when I found a balaclava, as it gave me the luxury of not having to look at Will's stupid clownworld-face ever again.) In-game models range from 'Good' to 'Cheap', and the latter goes for every tree in the game - of which there are only a few thousand.

The game's biggest lure is the setting and the premise: The year is 201X and takes place in one of the most remote and hostile regions on the planet, largely abandoned by the Canadian government after an economic collapse, and then having an EMP-esque event take place at the start of the game that kills all electrics - that sounds very interesting to me, yes. I made the foolish mistake of picking the 'Easy' difficulty level, but since that's the recommended difficulty level for people like myself who've never played the game before, I had some bizarre moments happen. The game harps on about how wolves are dangerous... yet not a single wolf ever tried to attack me. They took one whiff of me and ran off yelping. (I reckon they were thinking "That man has a clown face, clowns taste funny, avoid!")

I was faced with two gameplay choices: Storyline and Survival. As Survival seemed to be only against the clock, and not with a reachable end goal of 'rescue', I thought I'd start the Storyline first to get a better feel for the game. And boy, does the Storyline-mode love to hold your hand through everything. And it's through that hand-holding that I realized one thing early on... the UI is atrociously bad. It's clearly a placeholder, and while it does get things done there are SO many ways it can be improved (some other colors in the UI beyond white would be a good start) but there's no sign that the devs have any intent on improving it. Pop-up tips came and went telling me what I needed to do, but rarely how I was supposed to do them, and the UI did its best to prevent me from viewing those tips again.

But slowly, but surely, I figured out how to play this game, and started having some fun with it. I established a base of operations and launched expeditions into various directions of the map, with little or no knowledge of what I would find. I learned how to craft the essentials needed, how to secure food sources and how the game mechanics work. There's a very elaborate code running in this game concerning temperatures and how wind affects it, and how your gear counters it. Hypothermia is the player's greatest enemy, and much of the game's focus is on dealing with it. The game also has code for items that give off a smell that attracts predators - not many games think to take smell into account, but this one seems to.

Eventually I progressed far enough to get out of the first area, and that's when I realized TLD makes another critical error - there are Points of No Return. Once you go down that rope in Milton, you're not coming back. If you were like a sensible player of games of this genre, you had a base of operations set up there with gear and resources. Well, kiss all that goodbye, the game will only allow you to carry with you what you can hold without getting encumbered. And to cut a long story short, the same thing happens in Episode 2. More on that later.

Episode 2 in general is a more open experience - close to thrice the playing area, different environments and more hazards to contend with. One cool new addition is the Aurora Event - sometimes at night the northern lights come out and change the game into this mystical realm where everything electric comes to life in flickering lights - and scattered electric cables suddenly become a life-threatening hazard. I spent several nights in-game just staring up at the sky (and one night in that watchtower) - it's that cool to see and is in direct (positive) contrast with the game's general appearance.

But it's also in Episode 2 that the hand-holding goes into overdrive. In Episode 2 you meet a trapper who's having bear troubles. Not many bears, just the one. The Old Bear. I quickly learned to call him the Plot Bear, because he only appears when the plot requires him to. Like when you need to visit three signal towers to progress the story, the Plot Bear seems to know to be there at the last two towers, waiting for you. (It doesn't matter in what order you reach each tower, he's always at the last two you visit.) Here the game pulls a double foul, because not only is the entire fight QTE-based, but an essential tool tip waits until the bear is actually attacking before revealing itself, meaning that there's a 99% chance every single player will die to the bear's first attack as they either don't know what they're supposed to do, or they're distracted by the tool tip. Great game design there. *golfclap*

Another horrible thing that happens is that the game now teleports the player about when the plot requires it. Episode 2 starts with you emerging from a cave to find the aforementioned trapper fighting the Plot Bear. After this cutscene the game teleports you to the trapper's cabin, meaning you lose track of where you entered onto this new map. This then happens a few more times, but the worst one is when you finish a certain 'one-use' subsection on one map, only to be magically teleported from that map to another map, and directly into the trapper's cabin! A ~12-minute journey under the best of conditions, skipped because *reasons*. (That whole subsection is a travesty BTW, and seemingly only added in because they couldn't think of anything better.) Neither Subnautica or Breathedge ever did this.

(A glaring contradiction within the game needs to be pointed out here: The game explains and tool-tips you with a lot of information about how the game and game world works. One of those is the ice - almost all bodies of water are frozen solid, and while we generally know that ice can break from underneath, the game uses two entire maps to show us that it doesn't. I even ran across Mystery Lake a couple of times, and the ice only creaked at best. So the ice doesn't break in this game; precedent established. Then I enter the 'Forlorn Muskeg'-map, and learn the hard way (because the game didn't give me any advance warning or tool-tip) that the ice can break underneath you, with life-threatening results. And wouldn't you know it, the breakable ice is purposefully placed to limit the player's movement across that map, it's not just some random event that can happen.)

But the final nail in the coffin for me was the end of Episode 2. To end the episode a dilapidated dam must be entered and successfully navigated internally to reach the other side. Fair enough, except it's full of electrical gizmos, and the latter half of the map can't be reached without using the elevator, which requires electricity, meaning it won't run except during an Aurora Event, which means all the other electrics become a hazard. I made a call then and there, and immediately after emerging from the elevator I pulled out a bedroll and slept until dawn. I then crossed the rest of the thinly-disguised obstacle course in front of me without incident as the Aurora Event had passed.

That's not the straw that broke the camel's back.

A few years ago I tried out a game called Outlast, which is a horror game about a reporter investigating an insane asylum, with a huge emphasis on immersion. That immersion was immediately destroyed for me when I, as I do whenever I play horror games, checked every single corner for hostiles and found no one about. Then, as I had to 'use' a scenery obstacle to progress further, a cutscene triggered where a fat, demented inmate comes out of literally fucking nowhere from behind and throws me over the rail to the floor below, then immediately disappears without a trace. When that same sack of shit pulled the same trick a few minutes later, I uninstalled that game and haven't looked back since. Because it breaks the flow and feel of the game.

Can you guess what happens at the end of Episode 2? Yes, that exact thing. I entered a room, checked every corner, no one around. I look through a doorway into another room, no one there, no one looking to ambush me. I enter the room, *THUD*, I'm struck on the head from behind by someone who couldn't possibly be there, except by *magic*. A cutscene follows, then Episode 2 ends.

I start Episode 3, and find out I'm playing as Astrid this time. This fills me with a sense of dread, so I quit and check online to see how Episode 4 starts. Yes, you play as Mackenzie again in Ep 4. No, you don't get to keep any gear you gathered from the first two episodes. Worse than that, sources claim the game *resets* Mackenzie's inventory so that he's back into his starting clothes - clothes which I had torn into cloth strips ages ago as I had found better clothes to wear.

So we have a 'Bait and Switch'-scenario combined with Points of No Return, magical storytelling tools and complete disregard for the player's in-game accomplishments. That's a perfect recipe to detract people like me from your game, thank-you-very-much.

On a final whim, trying to salvage something from TLD, I decided to look into Survival Mode. I figured it might be worth a shot to give it a go once, but then I came across a dev blog outlining the future of TLD: They plan to make Survival Mode a subscription-based service. That's an instant 'NO' for me.

tl;dr The Long Dark tries its hardest to be a good game, but stumbles and fails due to developer stupidity. I paid ~$9 for it during a sale, and I still feel ripped off.

Last edited:

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
Finished Duke Caribbean. The last few levels were certainly better than the rest.
I looked up how to play Duke Nukem 64. Got it running, it's certainly an alternatve universe kind of experience.

jackofshadows

Magister
The Long Dark
Yeah, the story mode is absolute shit. Stupid, annoying design everywhere. Imagine that 1-2 episodes you have played were re-done (not completely but significantly) after negative feedback (they were really even worse than they're now) but as you see, they didn't abandon their ideas of dumbling everything down to extreme, turning a supposed survival game with slogan "how far would you go to survive" no less (what a joke) into snore-fest movie-like console garbage-tier experience (the highest difficulty doesn't change that, immense amount of resources around, the only issue are wolves but only for so long). To top it off, they've decided to turn their story into woketard wet dream.

And yes, survival mode is much, much better even though it's just sandboxish experience. Really challenging on the highest difficulty and there's a massive game-world to explore at this point but the devs couldn't decide how to monetize the updates so they did a survey and have come to probably the worst possible conclusion.

Last edited:

Hag

Arbiter
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming!
Played a few hours of Underrail. So far it's good. I really appreciate the writing to be simple and to the point. And the little-seen fact in video games that other people in SGS are happy to meet you and have a new member around. There is no smartass to crash the party. Dangerous times and humble folks. Feels nice.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
The King is dead, long live the King!

After six years, my PC has bid me farewell. I tried removing the RAM, which made the three beeping noises stop. I cleaned the CMOS battery, and even tried a new one. I reset all of the bios, to no avail. My last hope is to send it to a PC store for one last try. My hope is that my HDD and SSD can be transferred over to a potential new PC. And I was hyped for some gaming, as my six week vaction starts next week.

Time to spend more time with the consoles/portables.

Vlajdermen

Arcane
Replayan Warcraft 3: reign of chaos, a childhood game. I'm surprised how much mystique it has in the human campaign and firat half of the undead campaign, actually made me feel like a small man in a big world, a feeling I don't get in Frozen Throne at all. The core gameplay is still good and the easter eggs are still charming as fuck.

Arthas being an absolute edgy teen is helped by his status as a stooge. Makes him genuinely enjoyable, in all his impotent rage, as opposed to the ironically enjoyable frozen throne Arthas.
Thrall is still my MVP.

Kabas

Arcane
Patron
Going further into the Din's Legacy. I prefer it's shorter missions to Zombasite town management.
-I love the skill mutation system. Sometimes you can get some weird results like getting a freeze ability on your most spammable move that also makes your enemy invulnerable for half a minute.
-I went farthest with the hunter. I never saw his traps working past the early levels(bug?) but thanks to the few lucky mutations his basic arrow skill became super crippling and was enough to take me far.
-Kinda dissapointed that some of the new specialisations are just mixes of the old ones. Amongst the truly new ones i enjoyed berserker the most.
-The way commander skills work make want to assemble an entire party of NPCs, but i don't know if you can at any point have more than one companion. I feel the same way about ministrel.
-You can equip your companions but the UI for that feels a bit clunky and it isn't fun to do manually.
-The condition for unlocking the druid is an absolute cancer. Would be nice if game told me the % of mapped area at least.
-Seems like the only types of missions the game randomly offers to you at the 1 level is the gate hunting or Nemesis. I like taking the newly unlocked specialisations for test runs and thus i noticed.
-I liked that one mission in which you're dropped in middle of the town besieged by monster horde and told to survive.
-There is also that one mission called Holy War in which you need to hunt down the altars of the evil gods. Right before the final push the entire pantheon of the good gods came to assist me in the form of the avatars, that was pretty epic.

Been playing a lot of Diablo 2 and whatever fighting game strikes my fancy. Usually KOFXV, although I go to my buddy's house ever once in awhile and he stomps me at smash bros, I wish he would play a traditional fighting game tho.

I never got much into Diablo 2 online play back in the day-- would only really play solo self-found single player and had no conception of runewords, itemization, crafting or any of that stuff. After playing in the recent ladder I can see why people kept playing it all these years.

It's interesting how all the runes and gems have their own niche uses, non-magical items and even standard magic and rare items having worth depending on the build and item-type, despite the fact that runewords are so dominating. I can see where Path of Exile's whole Orb economy got its inspiration now.

I've always dabbled in Diablo 2, these are just aspects I never really messed with. Crafting in particular I never knew much about. It's a lot of fun, moreso than most games or limited MMOs I've played over the years. Here's a godly amulet I crafted, basically a Robe of Vecna necklace:
RTu9GGH.png

Daemongar

Arcane
Codex Year of the Donut
Nostalgia is a cruel mistress. Picked up Dungeon Lords on Steam Sale for something under $4. I played it a while back and stopped due to a bug, but I came back to check it out.

Wow, is this game dull. Also, in only 107 minutes of playtime - this version has auto-saved twice while I was dead. So, in my latest save-game, my char is dead. Its a sore kick in the ass to die, quit the game, the load up later and get reminded at how big a failure you are. You are on the ground and the creatures that killed you are walking away upon each restore. Also, by default, it has a random enemy respawn rate higher than the Bard's Tale (but that can be adjusted) so that can be annoying. You want to spend skill points? Well, don't take TOO long - as you may get killed while spending them.

AlmostWizardry8.png

Seems... eerily familiar to another game. Can't quite put my finger on it.

The skill system and such really isn't bad - one of those games where most skills are pretty well balanced. You can put points in lock-pick and analysis and it pays off pretty early as there are chests freaking everywhere. I realized playing this that I have a real issue with games where you get skill points and can take haggle or armor skills with the same points. I know Arcanum does it, but what, I just killed 300 enemies and I somehow learned to haggle or evaluate gems or such?

There are diamonds in the rough though. This may be some folks cup of tea. The game engine feels like the advancement from Ultima 9 -> Wizardry 8 -> Dungeon Lords. This is a game from DW Bradley so I'll give it that. It could have been great but probably was short of funds/resources. Overall, its sorta fun, but I doubt I'll finish it.

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
Playing DOOM 64 (GOG PC version) at the moment.

I have a few minor nitpicks.
  • Menus are slow.
  • Can't choose the name of your save.
  • Save name doesn't name the level, only the number and difficulty.
  • There are no beautiful reload animations like those seen in classic Doom. The Shotgun and Super Shotgun thus lose 90% of what made them so visually appealing.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom