Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What game are you wasting time on?

DDZ

Red blood, white skin, blue collar
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
Was it difficult to get it to run on your system?
I am using a gog version.
It works. No widescreen and i failed to figure out how to reverse up/down for mouse control, but it works.

Do you mean up/down is inverted or are you a retarded faggot?

Catacombs

Arcane
Patron
Work has been insane, and I've needed a game to unwind. Looked around a few hours and found American Truck Simulator. God help me.

Baron Dupek

Arcane
Testing games on my new GPU (all I need is 60FPS, decent antialiasing and better but not overtuned lightning), tried some older modern shooters (Battlefield 4 with DLCs and Battlefield1) and they works much, much better but I can't stomatch them these days - too chaotic for my taste. Still managed to take down some heli kiddo with guided missle and received some threats.
For some reasons I could not download BF4 from the Origin (other games would download without issues... and turns out other people had the same issue) but their new EAapp worked without issues. Figures.
Finally can play Enderal (non-SE version) and STALKER mods. They used to support 4:3 resolution and other fossil-friendly features, but they jumped to 64bit ship and that required better machine.
At least I can finish Doom 2016. Not touching Eternal tho - no video could convince me to pick it up.
The only game that gave my card major (loud fans) trouble was Shadow Warrior 2 from [check notes] 2016. No idea why, even Unity indie games don't give me troubles now unlike SW2...

Currently playing Radiophobia3 (previous entries were dropped in alpha or beta?) dealing with financial issues by abusing with unique feature (one of the remains from old builds) of Shadow of Chornobyl anomaly feature - dropping bodies turns them into artifacts. It never returned in Clear Sky, Call of Pripyat or Anomaly projects.
From more modern titles I can try ELEX and Necromunda Hired Gun - anything but shooting and world around is not that great but hey - it's Streum On's game.

curds

Magister
Dragon Age: Origins. Played it a ton since release, never finished it. I intend to change that this time. Probably my favourite BioWare game, having only played DAO, BG 1 and 2 and KotOR. I actually quite like RTwP combat when the system is designed from the ground up to be RTwP (ie. Not a turn-based system like AD&D shoehorned into RtWP). Game has a nice epic adventure feel which I love. Typical cringe BioWare companions.

Also playing co-op Outward with a mate on the side. Initially dismissed it as shovelware, but I'm finding it quite absorbing, in a "make your own fun" kinda way. Hideous art direction, though.

Krivol

Magister
It's a shame, but I have an absolute blast with Civilization 6. I bought it with all add-ons for a bag of onions (on sale) and I'm in love with all synergies I can get here. It's not Civ 4, but I got bored with 4 (and played all big mods to death).

It's more complicated than 5, city-spam focused (as long as you can afford settlers - every next settler needs more production/money/faith to produce) but in the end, is much easier to master than 5 as long as you learn how to put your districts and abuse the system (like pairing insane faith production of few of civilizations with proper secret society).

Fun game - balance is for boring people.

:littlemissfun:

Kabas

Arcane
Patron
Finished Jedi Knight: Dark Forces 2
5AMyH1W.png

A few thoughs:
-Graphics didn't age well, though that level with the falling spaceship did impress me considering how old the game is.
-Platforming is a bit wonky, it's sometimes hard to figure out where you can jump and where you can't. Katarn does have the tendency to get stuck in tight places.
-By the time i figured out how to change the inversed up/down mouse controls i already got so used to this i changed it back.
-This game is from the era in which searching for the way to progress was considered a normal part of the game. Never felt the need to use the map, but i did get stuck twice for a bit.
-Level design is cool, a lot of opportunities to get a drop on your enemies and a lot of secrets. Not sure how to feel about being rewarded with extra stars for your force powers if you found all the level secrets.
-My favourite power is the jump, it can give you an acess to alternative routes if you remember that you have it.
-Protection power is busted, all lighsaber duels became a joke the moment i got access to it. Whole game became a easier in fact.
-FMV cutscenes are charming
-Old star wars is 200% cooler than the recent one, won't elaborate.
- And i really like that getting a lightsaber doesn't render your normal weapons worthless or optional(in comparison to the game sequels). Fitting considering that Kyle Katarn is new to this whole jedi gig.
This is indeed a good game.

Last edited:

manifest

Educated
Vampire Survivor. Someone turned Crimsonland into Cookie Clicker and it's ruinously a ruinously direct attack on my addiction centers.

Azalin

Arcane
Patron
Finished Lunar Silver Star Story Complete and its sequel Lunar 2 Eternal Blue Complete, both PS1 enhanced edtions of Sega CD games.Silver Star is typical game of its era,it doesn't do anything great or introduce anything really original,but it doesn't do anything bad either,it's just a solid jrpg of that time.Eternal Blue is the sequel that takes place 1000 years later,I felt it wa an improvement compared to the original game in some parts like storytelling and gameplay,but it's not like it's something completely diffferent,it just builts upon the first one.

Last edited:

Athena

Educated
I completed the occasional revisit of Castlevania SOTN, with the small twist of trying a Hard Type mod as we all know the (lack of) difficulty is the game's weak point. It feels nicely balanced for most of the normal castle but as usual with these mods, the lack of balance shows eventually and makes every enemy and boss as spongy as hell. Defense has barely any impact no matter how high you raise it, the difference being dying in 3 hits instead of 2 so you have to perform a precise and aggressive playstyle due to how spongy enemies are; this turns the inverted castle into more of a chore than it is already, forcing the player to quickly skim through several rooms to avoid tedium as well as performing the same patterns against bosses over and over for what it feels like an eternity (note to modders: if you can't modify the AI, don't bother adding endless pools of enemy HP). A missed opportunity.

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
Just finished the latest remake of Geneforge. Very good. Maybe I liked Exile a bit more, but Gene is a more ambitious game. Many skills, choices, factions, non-linearity, 3 different starting classes that allow for different playstyles. The remake is recommended since it's a bit more challenging (as far I can tell) and it doesn't have that hideous puke UI the original had.

wWsc0mq.png

Roleplaying as Blackadder, I allied myself with everyone I could, I betrayed them all, used the geneforge to become a demigod, destroyed it so no one else could use it, and became the grand overlord.

tumblr_modwafELA61sta9sso5_r1_250.gif

GL0UMUo.png

Kabas

Arcane
Patron
Currently thinking about what game to waste my time on.

I left Icewind Dale unfinished and i really don't want to continue it after cleaning the ice museum from frost salamanders. I really liked the very first "tutorial" dungeon with the orcs and another small one with hostile druids and giants but the game turned really tedious around this part save for few encounters. The amount of cool loot around this part also decreased.
The need to backtrack to Kuldahar/Severed hand to sell your loot didn't help my enjoyment either.
Shame, as i heard that the expansion is even more beautiful and i really liked the quirks certain classes have like paladin lines or ranger tracking that warns you about future encounters with informative text pop-up.

Thinking about trying might and magic 6, as i only played 8 and a tiny bit of 7. However, this game strikes me as the one in which you will be wasting a lot of time backtracking unless you have walkthrough open in another tab at all times. Really don't like playing this way.

Not in the mood for commandos-likes.

Late Bloomer

Scholar
Still playing FFXIV with a friend. Very casual. We are getting through the patches before Heavensward now. Its been fun so far. I wouldnt play solo though. I enjoy the pacing of the game. The community is easily the weirdest most degenerate I have ever seen. Been playing MMO's / Online games since UO and Quake. Tried just about any MMO (including Korean ones) I could get my hands on throughout the years looking to rekindle my original Everquest experience to no avail. So yeah, this community is leaps and bounds the most vile and offputting I have ever experienced. The game itself is solid. Good tight controls. Nice spell effects. The music is beautiful. Overall we are having a really good time.

Tried Cyberpunk again. Hate how it controls. I'll try again in a few months perhaps.

Tried Death Stranding for the 1st time. Been pretty fun so far. It has a vibe that makes the tedium tolerable. Good game to chill out too.

Play Lootun on occasion. Its an incremental game.

And of course I always have a Fallout 4 playthrough going. Melee build with a melee robot companion. Doing minimal building this time around. Not sure if I am going to do Nuka World. But Far Harbor is right around the corner. Taking my time. No fast travel. Clearing out every location. Its fun.

Jvegi

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
I'm all around the place, playing things for 15 minutes and dropping them. I have NOLF, Serious Sam, Fallout 2, Mafia,IWD,SS2, even Ultima 1. Playing mostly LoL though, sadly. I'm actually inspired to play Spellbound's Robin Hood.

The one interesting gamy you might not know about is Death Squared, fun little co-op puzzle game that can be played by 2 people on a single keyboard.

media%2Fcache%2Farticle-cover%2F2017%2F07%2Fdeathsquaredmain.jpg

Kabas

Arcane
Patron
Lego Rock Raiders, a childhood favourite of mine. Not as a good as i remember. That Manic Miners remake i tried recently felt like a better version with some quality of life improvements despite being unfinished.
The Lord of the Rings: War of the Ring, a lesser known rts compared to battle for the middle-earth. Graphics didn't age that badly and the ost is great. Absolutely amazing voice acting(especially for the evil side). Gameplay is okay so far.
Got the sudden urge to try Painkiller, never played it before.

Lazing Dirk

Arcane
Ever wanted a gun that shoots clones onto enemy ships? Well you're in luck. I recently felt like playing FTL again recently and tried out the Multiverse mod, which is less a mod and more like FTL 2. Over 200 new player ships (unlocked mostly through quests and challenges), buttloads of new questlines, new races and sub-races (with their own sectors), a reputation system with multiple factions, new weapons and weapon mechanics (sush as the aforementioned Clone Cannon), new augments, new graphics and music, and more. They've also moved many of the previously random ship upgrades - along with a bunch of new ones - to a standard list you can pay to install whenever you like, so builds are far less RNG dependant, and because of all the new stuff there are a LOT of potential ways you can play. You can also install a lab and upgrade your crew members with extra abilities. In one recent game I followed a quest line for an AI over multiple sectors to eventually fight a powerful ship (with the help of pirate robot A55H0L3) which I can now use for myself, complete with and a drone super weapon like the original final boss. There's a surprising amount of dialogue in there as well for some of the quests. Really good stuff.

Wyatt_Derp

Arcane
Aliens board game (flash). Hard as shit. Practically a miracle to get any marines to the end. Gotta survive the reactor, then the vent tunnel escape, and finally the hive/newt rescue map.

aliens-boardgame1.jpg

Kabas

Arcane
Patron
I only watched my dad play it before. Yeah, Painkiller is as cool to play as it was cool watching him playing it back then.
I am now regretting not trying it myself earlier.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom