Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What game are you wasting time on?

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Reminds me of Kula World, which is probably the better game.

It took me three years to beat this one as a kid. The latter parts of the game were really challenging for little me. Not that it was the only thing I played, but I spent a few hours every week with it.

Last edited:

rubinstein

Educated
I tried Thief classic trilogy recently, for the first time ever, and quit it quickly.
I can thoroughly understand its cult status but for me 'the slooooow gameplay' is rather associated with TBSs than with 3D action games, sorry.
i needed like 3 attempts to complete the first game. wait a week, a month even, and try again. funny that similar shit happened to me with ss2. it must be something about dark engine aura.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
What rubinstein said. I recently watched a video of an 'action gamer' playing through Thief 1. 'Bull in China shop' is an apt description, but his cries of 'This is not fair!' were like sweet tears of nectar to me.

Thief is the only game I can quickly recall where you spend a good amount of time just standing still and watching things happen, waiting for that perfect moment to take action. That is outright poison to the ADHD-spazzers.

Achiman

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech
Playing Shin megami Tensi III nocturne on switch. I was hesititant on starting this because I knew it was going to be some 40+ hour game. Anyway it's hour 52 and I'm near the end. If you like JPRGS that are hard and enjoy the 'fusion' idea these games have you might enjoy it.
Defintely playing something different after this.
Other than that I've been playing Death's Door which is an indie darling game in the vein of Zelda. It's alright, Nearly finished it in one sitting though, so get it on sale.

GhostCow

Balanced Gamer
Patron
I've been playing Destroy all Humans 2. Pretty good remaster. Didn't play the original so I can't compare. You can tell it's an old game because it's not shit. Also been playing spooderman. I already beat it on ps4, but I wanted to play with ray tracing and mods. It looks nice with the ray tracing and I replaced all the tranny flags with nazi flags so the game is kind of based now.

Last edited:
I acquired Kena: Bridge of Spirits and have played a small amount of it so far. The gameplay, so far, is simple but fun. I've seen it described as "a fromsoft game with disney aesthetics" and that seems pretty accurate (lots of dodging). If you dislike cutesy games you'll find this one absolutely nauseating, but for me, personally, I'll play basically anything set in a big magical forest, so it gets a pass on that. I find the Rot's "true form" kind of a pain to control and I don't think it's implemented well (suspect it was designed for consoles first), but that's basically my only criticism.

I have also been playing Supreme Commander: Forged Alliance on a near daily basis while I wait for Sanctuary: Shattered Sun. Not that there's anything wrong with Forged Alliance, but community-wise you have to pick between Steam which is nearly dead and FAF which "balances" the game based around the whining of e-sports wannabes (resulting in it being far less balanced than version 3603 that the developers left it with on Steam). So I'm hoping Sanctuary will basically be "SupCom FA but with an active community".

adddeed

Arcane
Possibly Retarded
Juggling a bunch of games at the same time.

UFO Aftermath - pretty fun overall, i like the atmosphere.
Caesar 3 - trying to get to grips with the walkers. Enjoying the challenge though plus the game has a lot of charm.
Malestrom - Janky RTS from 2007 but liking as its not typical. Has terraforming, direct control, nice resource system, units and abilities, and looks awesome (plus finally an RTS with actual realistic proportions to things).
X Beyond the Frontier - hoping to finish it after first playing it in 1999. Really old school with zero hand holding.
Anno 1602 - nice little game, kind of jack of all trades (supply chains, city building, expansion, rts). Not a lot of depth though but combined its fun and relaxing.
Populous 3 - fun game, love the visual style and presentation and the funny way fights happen.
Need for Speed Pro Street - good game with id say best customization in the series.
F1 2011 - Going through the whole series (finished a season in F1 2010) and this one is a good improvement.
Disciples Sacred Lands - Great art style plus im enjoying the less complex mechanics as opposed to games like Age of Wonders. Still has a lot of strategy in it.
Bus Driver - From makers of Euro Truck Sim before they got big, fun little game and can be challenging.
Port Royale 1 - Looks like it has good depth to it but im really early (manually trading between cities).
Tomb Raider 3 - Harder then TR2 so far but still fun.

Also finished last month - Deus Ex, Deus Ex IW, Breed, Hitman Contracts.

Ivan

Arcane
Ni No Kuni. Very formulaic so far, but cute and charming. Combat puts me to sleep. Standard fare of monsters catching up to you in overworld>transition to combat screen>boring combat ensues>reward. Back to traversal to the next cutscene/settlement. I may drop this if it doesn't spice things up soon. Currently looking for King Kat

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
co28cm.jpg

A personal favourite.
The most faithful video game adaptation of the 3.5 D&D edition.

Baron Dupek

Arcane
Tried out Gorasul - Legacy of the Dragon almost decade later after my attempt at magic focused character. Didn't last long on maxed out puzzles setting, again. Out of curiosity tried guides in English and Potato and none of them helped. Huh.
At least game had some decent music

Cromwell

Arcane
Tried to play ninja gaiden master collection but noticed I cant play it when the kids are around and am to tired and old to not suck when I have time in the evening.

Playing Borderlands 2 (as Axton) and Hunt: Showdown to scratch my Call of Duty and Tarkov itches respectively until Modern Warfare II comes out.

(If you're wondering why I don't just play Tarkov, it's because I own Hunt: Showdown but do not own Tarkov. :P )

Ivan

Arcane
Beacon Pines 3/4 or :4/5:

A charming little point-n-click narrative with an artstyle reminiscent of Bastion, a soothing/jazzy soundtrack, cute animation, and character/story work that reminded me of Night in the Woods. It is completely linear and the game's main gimmick is that you get to rewind to the moment before a branching choice is made to see how a specific narrative branch would have ended. Some nice feels toward the end and Rolo was wonderfully written/presented as the bestie.

Grounded :3/5:

There aren't enough traversal/transportation tools for my liking. Aside from that, exploration is pretty excellent, as is the world design. The progression curve reminded me of the harsher moments from Gothic or STALKER. Combat isn't fun in and of itself, made more so by mixing in projectiles to stun fools. Would have like to have seen more puzzles, most of this is just navigational exploration/puzzling.

This is pretty damn fine soil for a potentially great sequel.

Prodeus :4/5:

Excellent FPS featuring a great loop bolstered by great art, audio, and music. It takes a good while until it gives you all movement abilities, so I was satisfied with the game partway through, then I was having Doom Eternal flashbacks once the dash is introduced. Great level design, mostly great arsenal, pretty standard bestiary with not much character behind it.

Oh yeah, it doesn't have a death penalty. It's like Bioshock, you die and you respawn at a checkpoint OR you could CHOOSE to restart the whole level. Weak, they should have retained player choice but instilled a penalty, perhaps a lives system, or have the player "earn" the checkpoints w/a collectible.

Last edited:

Kruyurk

Learned
If someone wants to waste his time on Call of Juarez: Gunslinger or Darkwood, I have spare steam keys from a bundle. Both have very good reviews on steam but I did not play either (I don't like playing video games, only buying them).

Call of Juarez: Gunslinger
HAJRN-FXJAF-T8II*

Darkwood
3ZX8R-RRVHG-*23X7

* is the result of 2^2
Is it useful to do that for the eventual bot ? I have seen people do these kind of things on other forums.

Modron

Arcane
One time a game developer posted 5 steam keys for their game in the giftstravaganza subforum (which requires a year's time or patron status to access) and they were gone in minutes with 4 out of 5 being claimed by Serbians so yeah it's best to obfuscate as there is probably some light botting going on.

Kruyurk

Learned
One time a game developer posted 5 steam keys for their game in the giftstravaganza subforum (which requires a year's time or patron status to access) and they were gone in minutes with 4 out of 5 being claimed by Serbians so yeah it's best to obfuscate as there is probably some light botting going on.
Thanks for the info. I did not know about the giftstravaganza subforum, now I understand why I did not find a giveaway thread.

Hag

Arbiter
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming!
Played some Soul Calibur VI at a friend's place. It's the same as the IV, only now you have to pay to unlock new shit instead of, you know, playing the game. Not a big fan of mechanics tweaks, game feels easier overall (grabs are trivial to cancel now for example) and nothing of value has been added. Story mod is boring, the art and writing is so bad it is almost funny. Almost. The character editor is still over-the-top.
Still it is very fun, with a fair learning curve, makes for enjoyable fights. The possibility to move around the ring and throw your opponent overboard never gets old.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom