Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What game are you wasting time on?

axx

Savant
Playing Titan Quest. Harbinger on legendary difficulty. I'm like a glass cannon, my DPS isn't bad but my resistances are so low I'm getting mauled by some bosses. Currently I can't get past the fire bull on the mountain who is oneshotting me. So looks like I have to buff up my fire and pierce resistances.

Silentstorm

Learned
Crosscode, has a lot of positive reviews, people say it's great, i really don't mind anime art style so i am trying it...waste of money, the worst part is i can see some charm and a way for the game to be good, it's just stuck up in thinking it's more clever than it really is and shoving puzzles everywhere, like, they say it's an action RPG with puzzles, but even on the map you get puzzles, dungeons drag on for having too many puzzles particularly when they aren't hard or you figured it out but it still requires precise timing.

And those dungeons can go for too long, by the 2nd dungeon i was already "Dear God, MORE PUZZLES!?" because guess what, this isn't just a puzzle game, it's a freaking ACTION RPG, even some battles try to feel like puzzles, but none of the puzzles are actually hard, just take time or literal timing to do and there are just so many, i also don't like how so much of the game revolves around trading with hard to get items so i just go with underpowered equipment because fuck grinding for those hard drop items who at times also require planning to get.

For a game that loves puzzles so much and the developer acts like the puzzles are the high point, i really do think the game could cut half or even more puzzles and become better, it's not as if they are that exciting or fun to solve...and again, just so damn many, to a point where dungeons only really overstay their welcome because the developer shoved in so many puzzles.

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
eliteforce-1654792972684.jpg

Good Star Trek shooter.
The Virtual Voyager Expansion is pretty good. It lets you explore the Voyager and its decks,interact with the crew,go to the holodeck,stuff like that.
I put so many hours into this one back in the day. This and Jedi Outcast both ran on the Quake III engine, and me and my lil bro spent so much time just messing around with the console and spawning enemies into maps and have them fight, or create obstacle courses to run through.
In Jedi Academy,I liked to spawn dozens of Reborn and Rancors and have them fight each other. Fun times.
Have you played Elite Force 2?

Caim

Arcane
eliteforce-1654792972684.jpg

Good Star Trek shooter.
The Virtual Voyager Expansion is pretty good. It lets you explore the Voyager and its decks,interact with the crew,go to the holodeck,stuff like that.
I put so many hours into this one back in the day. This and Jedi Outcast both ran on the Quake III engine, and me and my lil bro spent so much time just messing around with the console and spawning enemies into maps and have them fight, or create obstacle courses to run through.
In Jedi Academy,I liked to spawn dozens of Reborn and Rancors and have them fight each other. Fun times.
Have you played Elite Force 2?
Yeah, that was fun. But no, even though I have it through GOG. Might get around playing that one eventually.

Just finished The Case of the Golden Idol and it's the best game I've played in years. It's an investigation/deduction type game in the vein of Return of the Obra Dinn, but in my opinion even better. There are 11 cases and they're all fucking great and interconnected, with an overarching story that's very cool. My playtime was around 8 hours and I didn't use any hints.

Took me completely by surprise. If you're even remotely interested in this type of game, you should get it asap. Best money I spent all year.

Last edited:

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
Just finished The Case of the Golden Idol and it's the best game I've played in years. It's an investigation/deduction type game in the vein of Return to Obra Dinn, but in my opinion even better. There are 11 cases and they're all fucking great and interconnected, with an overarching story that's very cool. My playtime was around 8 hours and I didn't use any hints.

Took me completely by surprise. If you're even remotely interested in this type of game, you should get it asap. Best money I spent all year.

Just finished this myself. I somewhat disagree with your assessment.

It's good - just not Obra Dinn-good.

The artstyle is a bit off, but otherwise sets a good tone.

Audio is negligible - nothing of value is lost if it's played muted.

The story it weaves is a good one, but it just doesn't have the same strength to it - it's too loose.

On the gameplay front, Golden Idol fails on two points where Obra Dinn succeeded.

First there's consistency. Obra Dinn takes place in 11 points in time, but they're all in the same spot, the ship itself. And your task is always the same, identify everyone, discover their fates. Golden Idol has ~12 points in time, of which some only share the same space, at best. Worse than that, the tasklist changes after the first half of the game. It starts out with three tasks; spell out the plot, identify all the characters involved, and then a third variable task. But quickly the third task splits into two tasks, and then again, and then the other tasks change and the next you know you're trying to determine a society's hierarchy by their uniforms, calculating how many merit points people lost for not toeing the party line, and then finally you're skipping wildly across the countryside trying to piece together three plotlines at once!

Secondly there's the gameplay focus. Obra Dinn had gameplay, but it took a back seat to allow the player to observe, contemplate and deduce things. At no point did I feel that Obra Dinn obstructed me. Golden Idol, on the other hand, has pixel-hunting. Each scene is set up with a series of hot-spots, where more clues can be learned. The option is provided to make them visible or invisible. If you have them visible, then it won't take long for each chapter to degrade into a flurry of clicks to scoop up all the clues, before then sitting down and sifting through them. But if you have them invisible you're gonna waste time trying to find all the hot-spots. It's both artificial padding and a specific game design decision - and one I think didn't work out as well as Obra Dinn did. And Golden Idol's decision to go with sentence gaps that you just slide words into - it quickly loses its appeal. I got stuck for far too long on one chapter because I knew exactly what I was trying to convey, but the game wouldn't accept any iterations of it.

There's a free demo of it that has the first four chapters, and those four chapters are really sweet. But that sweet feeling only sticks around for the next two chapters IMO.

If Obra Dinn is a 9/10, then Golden Idol is a 7.5/10 - currently they're asking $15 for this, but I don't reckon it's worth that. Stick it on a wishlist instead and see if you can't get it for <$10.

Just finished The Case of the Golden Idol and it's the best game I've played in years. It's an investigation/deduction type game in the vein of Return to Obra Dinn, but in my opinion even better. There are 11 cases and they're all fucking great and interconnected, with an overarching story that's very cool. My playtime was around 8 hours and I didn't use any hints.

Just finished this myself. I somewhat disagree with your assessment.

It's good - just not Obra Dinn-good.

The artstyle is a bit off, but otherwise sets a good tone.

Audio is negligible - nothing of value is lost if it's played muted.

The story it weaves is a good one, but it just doesn't have the same strength to it - it's too loose.

On the gameplay front, Golden Idol fails on two points where Obra Dinn succeeded.

First there's consistency. Obra Dinn takes place in 11 points in time, but they're all in the same spot, the ship itself. And your task is always the same, identify everyone, discover their fates. Golden Idol has ~12 points in time, of which some only share the same space, at best. Worse than that, the tasklist changes after the first half of the game. It starts out with three tasks; spell out the plot, identify all the characters involved, and then a third variable task. But quickly the third task splits into two tasks, and then again, and then the other tasks change and the next you know you're trying to determine a society's hierarchy by their uniforms, calculating how many merit points people lost for not toeing the party line, and then finally you're skipping wildly across the countryside trying to piece together three plotlines at once!

Secondly there's the gameplay focus. Obra Dinn had gameplay, but it took a back seat to allow the player to observe, contemplate and deduce things. At no point did I feel that Obra Dinn obstructed me. Golden Idol, on the other hand, has pixel-hunting. Each scene is set up with a series of hot-spots, where more clues can be learned. The option is provided to make them visible or invisible. If you have them visible, then it won't take long for each chapter to degrade into a flurry of clicks to scoop up all the clues, before then sitting down and sifting through them. But if you have them invisible you're gonna waste time trying to find all the hot-spots. It's both artificial padding and a specific game design decision - and one I think didn't work out as well as Obra Dinn did. And Golden Idol's decision to go with sentence gaps that you just slide words into - it quickly loses its appeal. I got stuck for far too long on one chapter because I knew exactly what I was trying to convey, but the game wouldn't accept any iterations of it.

There's a free demo of it that has the first four chapters, and those four chapters are really sweet. But that sweet feeling only sticks around for the next two chapters IMO.

If Obra Dinn is a 9/10, then Golden Idol is a 7.5/10 - currently they're asking $15 for this, but I don't reckon it's worth that. Stick it on a wishlist instead and see if you can't get it for <$10.

I really liked the art and the music, sorry you didn't care much for them. And I thought the variety in deduction goals kept things fresh.

The only thing I'd change is the restriction of certain word categories to certain places in the sentence structure. The pixel-hunting thing didn't bother me at all, I played with hotspots enabled and didn't think it hurt the game in any way. I thought the piecing together of the plotline was one of the best aspects of the game, and it felt pretty fulfilling at the end, with a genuinely interesting twist.

El Pollo Diablo

Educated
I managed to 1cc Golden Axe: The Revenge of Death Adder. I played a lot of original Golden Axe on DOS back in the day and could 1cc that version, but this sequel is the first arcade game I managed to 1cc and am quite proud about it, although it's probably not that difficult realistically.

Arbiter

Scholar
Wizardry 7. Took a lot of time to roll a party consisting mostly of prestige classes.

First disappointment - there appears to be level scaling.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Wizardry 7. Took a lot of time to roll a party consisting mostly of prestige classes.
Prestige classes are nice when you import über weapons that only prestige classes can use. Otherwise I think it would be better to start as regular classes that get more skill points to advance the magic skills.

Bigg Boss

Arcane
If you are not playing LOTR Online with some of them Hando boys you are a piece of shit. PM me or Fluent for more info. Beep.

Modron please be my friend. Fuck I can't do anything right here. *throws Rusty*

Last edited:

Semiurge

Cipher
Final DOOM - TNT Evilution.

Surprisingly good. Level designs are inventive and music is memorable. "Wormhole" is better than most Doom II levels combined, so far there hasn't been trash filler levels like "The Catacombs".

Arbiter

Scholar
Final DOOM - TNT Evilution.

Surprisingly good. Level designs are inventive and music is memorable. "Wormhole" is better than most Doom II levels combined, so far there hasn't been trash filler levels like "The Catacombs".

Most Doom fans believe that Plutonia is better.

pizza_microwave

Liturgist
I keep fucking coming back to UnderRail. Got all the achievements and close to 300 hours of playtime but I still cannot for the love of Christ pick a build to finish a DOMINATING run. Started with a spear build that went okay-ish until Depot A where I realized I didn't allocate my crafting points wisely enough and couldn't craft the equipment I had needed; so I restarted in fustration but this time with a DEX TM machete.

I will be honest and say that DOMINATING is a meme difficulty, and I cannot believe Styg locked content behind it, hooray for another time this serbian FUCK gave in to his autistic temptations and plagued the game with his umpteenth gameplay balances, psi reworks, randomized dungeons and bloat content. And what makes me more mad is that I will not only have to wait years and years for Infusion, because once released I will have to wait 6 more years for this serbian dog to finish masterfully balance his game around his autism.

STYG YOU FUCKING NIGGER
YOU MADE ME RACIST

unknown.png

octavius

Arcane
Patron
there appears to be level scaling.
it's more widespread than you'd think even in older games, oblivion was just the first to make it painfully obvious to the point where it breaks immersion

There was also horrible scaling in Wizardry 8, years before Oblivion. I didn't think it was implemented in DOS era games, though.
Oldest game I can remember at the moment with level scaling (combined with area scaling) is Might&Magic 1 from 1986.

Arbiter

Scholar
there appears to be level scaling.
it's more widespread than you'd think even in older games, oblivion was just the first to make it painfully obvious to the point where it breaks immersion

There was also horrible scaling in Wizardry 8, years before Oblivion. I didn't think it was implemented in DOS era games, though.
Oldest game I can remember at the moment with level scaling (combined with area scaling) is Might&Magic 1 from 1986.

Apparently decline started 20 years before Oblivion.

As horrible as obvious level scaling is, as illustrated by Oblivion so nicely, it does also suck to have a bunch of content be completely trivial because you should have done it 20 levels ago.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom