Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What game are you wasting time on?

Theodora

Arcane
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Finally playing through Ori and the Blind Forest in spare moments. Very pretty little game, and not too frustrating (as metroidvanias can be).

Also got dragged into playing FFXIV with a couple of friends, and really impressed with the sense of place it carries (most MMOs are quite cartoonish and lacking in that regard). The variable weather, day/night cycle, and various skyboxes all really add to that impression, even though they're quite simple things; guess a decent lighting engine goes a long way?

KvpPdrg.jpg

EI1Pe2N.jpg

Kabas

Arcane
Patron
Finished Painkiller, thoughts:
-Graphics aged amazingly well
-I have a soft spot for games that throw you into completely different locale almost every other level
-Awesome shotgun
-I found many secrets to be rather hard to find(or rather hard to figure out how to reach them)
-Fuck those secrets that require you to do platforming though
-Each level awards you with the tarot card(buyable upgrade) if you fulfill a certain condition. My favourite were the ones that limited your weapon choices, like complete the level using only painkiller.
-My favourite chapter was the first one, can't explain exactly why.
Thinking about trying the first F.E.A.R.
Edit: I only took a glimpse at the expansion levels, will try them later.

Last edited:
Fear kicks ass. You'll love that shotgun with the slow-mo. It peters out in terms of gameplay intensity at the end. Play the two expansions as well. Fear 2 was shitty but ok. Fear 3 was PS3 era tripe.

PulsatingBrain

Huge and Ever-Growing
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath
FEAR is indeed great. The Penetrator is one of my all time favourite weapons from any game. I'd say 2 and 3 are decent but not worthy of the FEAR name. Worth playing for the bonkers story. Defintely wait for a sale on 2 and 3 though if you're going to bother at all

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Fear kicks ass. You'll love that shotgun with the slow-mo. It peters out in terms of gameplay intensity at the end. Play the two expansions as well. Fear 2 was shitty but ok. Fear 3 was PS3 era tripe.

Might replay Fear at some point. Great shooter.
Was Fear 2 all that bad? I've always heard mixed things about it.
gxbov8dcudsbabp5jx85.gif

manifest

Educated
FEAR 2 confirmed absolute trash. I forced myself through a couple of hours and dropped it. FEAR 3 was fun to play through in a single sitting co-op as the ghost. Horrible level design, though.

Kabas

Arcane
Patron
Ok, i just started the first Fear, lighting still looks great. Another one of those games i remember my dad was playing.
Feels like a bit of fresh air after going from arena shooter like Painkiller to something a bit more immersive.

Jvegi

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
I'm not wasting my time on Nox anymore because I've accidentally deleted my installation files. Gone is also F2 and The Secret of Monkey Island, although I've not played them much on those installations. Sad, Nox was fun. I could try to get the files back, but I don't feel like it. I'll come back to it someday and start a new playthrough with a different class.

FFS, System Shock 2 is gone too. I spent more time modding it that playing, but still. So it's learning to play CK2 or doing something productive. I don't know....

Siege of Avalon - really wanted to like this one, as it's clearly a labor of love, but the combat absolutely ruins it. The scenario is rather original, you start in a castle under siege and you get to walk around the place talking to people, asking their opinions on the siege and getting quests. NPC interaction is good, with lots of dialogue, which is competently written. The pre-rendered scenarios are nice too look at, the UI is fantastic and you get to play around with many varied layers of clothing. If you like dress-up RPGs, this one's for you. I'd say overall the game has a particular charm to it. But then, there's the combat, which appropriately for the time tries to mimic Diablo. It turns out more like a schizo RTS where you desperately try to click on your enemies, which conveniently jump around all the time, only to misclick and move in their direction instead, while also trying to kite them because they can kill you in two hits. I've found the Scout/Archer class nearly unplayable. Like Baldur's Gate Dark Alliance (which it somewhat reminded me of), you're better off playing as a mage, although that involves waiting around for your spells to recharge. Not my kind of thing.

Shadowrun: Dragonfall - Decided to try this one, as I found some consensus regarding it being the best of the nu-Shadowrun titles. My early experience with Shadowrun was with the SNES game, which was very stylish, even if the gameplay was a bit shallow. Dragonfall is also strong on style and overall I'd say the presentation, including character portraits and music, is top-notch. There's a good variety of character development choices. In my case, I picked a SMG-toting decker. Even though SMG is considered rather lackluster, it complemented my teammates' skills quite nicely, as I could use it to flush enemies out of cover, right into the sights of the heavy hitters. By late-game I became quite a heavy hitter myself, what with all the cyberware I was carrying. So no complaints, there. Combat is generally good if you're into turn-based tactical, but there's a big issue with cover mechanics and visibility. You can only check cover efficiency from four main directions, even though enemies are rarely lined up so neatly, leading to many situations where you're not certain if you're being covered or not. Hiding in one of the hidden tiles (i.e. behind a wall) can make it even more mysterious. A bit short of tactical, turn-based bliss. The missions are moderately challenging (I played on Hard) and fast-paced, which I liked. I felt a bit of a difficulty spike in the middle, but that was because the early missions didn't condition me to use all the tools at my disposal. By the late-game I had so many options, the game felt kind of easy again.

A note about the writing, which some people praise to high heaven. It's generally competent, but sometimes the writers got too high on their own supply. It's not a text adventure, I don't need a graphic description of how someone's forehead furrows or how sweat trickles from their face. I found the effect quite comical in the beginning. There was also quite a lot of non-sensical political "commentary" on relevant subjects like racism and how Christofascist fathers brutalize their daughters. I found it funny, since despite their amalgamation to blacks, Orcs and Trolls do *in fact* have a racial limitation to intelligence. What is the game trying to tell us? Anyway, I'm not a leftist, so I can take the good with the bad.

Not sure if I should try Shadowrun Returns or Hong Kong, if Dragonfall is the best the series has to offer. I'll probably wait a bit.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
A note about the writing, which some people praise to high heaven. It's generally competent, but sometimes the writers got too high on their own supply. It's not a text adventure, I don't need a graphic description of how someone's forehead furrows or how sweat trickles from their face. I found the effect quite comical in the beginning. There was also quite a lot of non-sensical political "commentary" on relevant subjects like racism and how Christofascist fathers brutalize their daughters. I found it funny, since despite their amalgamation to blacks, Orcs and Trolls do *in fact* have a racial limitation to intelligence. What is the game trying to tell us? Anyway, I'm not a leftist, so I can take the good with the bad.

Not sure if I should try Shadowrun Returns or Hong Kong, if Dragonfall is the best the series has to offer. I'll probably wait a bit.
I think the political stuff is in line with Berlin being the anarchy capital or something in the setting.
Shadow returns has a great first half writing wise and mediocre encounterwise, then the quality switches around.
Hong Kong is more or less quare in the middle- some interesting encounters, some entertaining companions but overall something of a step down from DF.

BruceVC

Magister
End of July I started BG1 EE and the last 2 months I have also completed BG2 and ToB

Playing both these iconic IE games has been a memorable and thoroughly entertaining experience, I have made regular updates on the official BG thread and I recommend both these games for all fans of party based RPG

Now I am faced with that riveting but difficult decision that only us fortunate gamers face " what to play next " from my long list of unplayed GOG and Steam games. My own gaming code means I cant play a similar game around mechanics or genre so I cant play a party based RPG immediately, I do this so I dont ever become bored with my true gaming passion which is fantasy RPG

So Im thinking maybe an action game or a good Zombie killing game like Dying Light 2 or End of Days, maybe even an RTS? I will post my choices later when I have decided to get feedback

But I will decide in the next few days and at the moment Im just having fun in RDR2 single player with mods :cool:

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I'm almost done with Beautiful Desolation. Gameplay is pretty chill. Nothing really challenging at all. The world is really pretty, I like the characters that you meet, and audio is spot on. I wouldn't mind playing a role playing game in this setting.

Other than that, I am also playing World of Final Fantasy, and Demon's Rise - Lords of Chaos. WoFF is fan fan service JRPG that has characters and monsters from the whole series, up to Final Fantasy XIII. Demon's Rise is a mobile port of a turn-based rpg, with heavy focus on combat. The game won't blow your mind, but it's a decent enough time waster for a mobile game ported to PC.

GhostCow

Balanced Gamer
Patron
I've been playing Dragon Ball: The Breakers. No idea why it's getting bad reviews on Steam. I played for about 10 hours yesterday and had a blast. Yeah it's gay that they are charging $20 for a game that has a gacha, but the gacha is free so I don't really care.

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
eliteforce-1654792972684.jpg

Good Star Trek shooter.
The Virtual Voyager Expansion is pretty good. It lets you explore the Voyager and its decks,interact with the crew,go to the holodeck,stuff like that.

Caim

Arcane
eliteforce-1654792972684.jpg

Good Star Trek shooter.
The Virtual Voyager Expansion is pretty good. It lets you explore the Voyager and its decks,interact with the crew,go to the holodeck,stuff like that.
I put so many hours into this one back in the day. This and Jedi Outcast both ran on the Quake III engine, and me and my lil bro spent so much time just messing around with the console and spawning enemies into maps and have them fight, or create obstacle courses to run through.

Catacombs

Arcane
Patron
So Im thinking maybe an action game or a good Zombie killing game like Dying Light 2 or End of Days, maybe even an RTS? I will post my choices later when I have decided to get feedback
I assumed you played the first Dying Light? Other suggestions: the Metro series (all the games are at deep discount right now) or Disco Elysium.

BruceVC

Magister
I assumed you played the first Dying Light? Other suggestions: the Metro series (all the games are at deep discount right now) or Disco Elysium.
Yes I have played all the Metro games, they are my favorite post-apocalyptic games overall and then the S.T.A.L.K.E.R series is next

I have played DY1 and I loved it, especially making weapons and the thrill of going out at night

Have you played End of Days?

Catacombs

Arcane
Patron
End of Days
I haven't heard of it. A cursory glance at the reviews doesn't make it an attractive choice.
If you're fine with zombie-like survival, you could try The Forest. Though, you're dealing with cannibals rather than undead creatures.

BruceVC

Magister
End of Days
I haven't heard of it. A cursory glance at the reviews doesn't make it an attractive choice.
If you're fine with zombie-like survival, you could try The Forest. Though, you're dealing with cannibals rather than undead creatures.
Oh I loved the Forest, building the camps and tree houses was great fun

And I have to say meeting mutants in the underground caves was truly terrifying,you could hear them but you werent sure where they were ...remember those awful mutant babies. It really was a great survival game :salute:

Azalin

Arcane
Patron
Finished single player campaigns in Iron Harvest and its dlcs. It's an rts set in the 1920+ dieselpunk alternate history universe that is also used in the Scythe boardgame.The art style is cool since it's based on the dieselpunk style of the boardgame.I read somewhere a description of Company of Heroes light for this game and it's a good comparison,the gameplay is similar to that game,the base building is a bit barebones,you can supress enemies with fire and the armored units/mechs are powerful.The campaigns in the main game and the dlcs are fine,not bad but nothing exceptional,the German Saxonian being my favourite.The game is still buggy though even if it's 2 years since it's release,it crashed once and in some instances I just couldn't select units and give them orders.There is also a world map mode with turn based map movement and management and rts battles if you want something extra,didn't try the multiplayer.Recommended only for a sale

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom