Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What game are you wasting time on?

Ivan

Arcane
Severed Steel :2/5:

great movement feel: diving, sliding, wall-running, queuing these moves while engaging in combat feels wonderful. there is not ADS, it's all hip firing, all the time. the biggest weakness for me is the theming. it feels like an arcade mode with an ad-hoc story/campaign tacked on. so while it is fun to play, the question of why creeps in quickly. I did finish the campaign and can say that the core combat loop is pretty fantastic, I just hope there's a proper campaign next time around.

Naraya

Arcane
Severed Steel :2/5:

great movement feel: diving, sliding, wall-running, queuing these moves while engaging in combat feels wonderful. there is not ADS, it's all hip firing, all the time. the biggest weakness for me is the theming. it feels like an arcade mode with an ad-hoc story/campaign tacked on. so while it is fun to play, the question of why creeps in quickly. I did finish the campaign and can say that the core combat loop is pretty fantastic, I just hope there's a proper campaign next time around.

All I see here is typical AA ADHD crap.

Last edited:

Jvegi

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Sell them to me, what's to love, which one to play.

I don't know yet, it's really giving me bad Lords of Xulima vibes with the exploration and repetetive combat. You should ask in a dedicated thread. For a classic game it really rises a lot of questions about what is an rpg and why are they fun. Makes me question myself.

I should start a yt channel like ed.

Bohrain

Liturgist
Patron
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Finished Elden Ring a while ago as my first FromSoft game, now going through Dark Souls. Got through Ornstein and Smough today. I can appreciate some of the features in the game like unlocking the map shortcuts, areas requiring specific preparation like Blight Town and New Londo and the combat being slower paced. But a lot of it drives me crazy like having to do janky platforming with mistakes punished with death, not having spawn points next to boss rooms and individual encounters being janky like the ghosts being able to hit through walls.

Derringer

Prophet
Tackling an old nemesis of mine, Castlevania: Circle of the Moon.

I played it as a kid and got stuck on a zombie dragon boss.

I am now playing 20+ years later and I am stuck on the exact same boss. Time is a flat circle, etc. I can see the depths of my soul when I turn off the Switch and see my defeated reflection staring back at me, etc.
Circle of the Moon and Order of Eccelsia are the only metroidvanias that had bosses with ai patterns that had any sort of difficulty I think.

I just went though Koudelka and was forcing myself to try out Shadow Hearts 2 again, the writing got more retarded and anime with 2 (putty patrol bad guys (KEEEEEE), for some reason Char's VA did the 'historical war' intro and does a line with the wolf party member, Yuri's first fusion is a gay metrosexual vampire instead of a devil, feels more like a linear scripted hallway than 1). The combo system is also completely pointless.

Last edited:

gamerguy

Educated
I finished MP:remastered friday and restarted Fire Emblem.

Chapter 11 schooled me in the importance of mobility, so I'm about to get my first seals again, and am going to try mounted and flying units with avoidance tanking... maybe one beefy general and sage for big mitigation.

Not a tactics rpg guy in general, but this game is great fun... i can skip all story and conversations... battle animations are cool, but I turn all that off and there's a very slick videogame that's fast to load into and start playing quickly. Also finding it quite difficult!!

Bohrain

Liturgist
Patron
ghosts being able to hit through walls.
Don't worry, you can hit through walls as well... ;)
Hitboxes in souls games have always been questionable.
Those enemies specifically are irritating because they float in places where their strikes have the vertical range to hit you, while you don't. I know vertical swings like zweihander heavy attack isn't blocked by walls, but that didn't help in the particular scenario.

deuxhero

Arcane
Akiba's Trip 1 (PC version)
Gameplay: :3/5:
Writing/World/Atompshere: :5/5:
It's a janky, low budget PSP game but make by a team that knew how to get basic gameplay right enough. It's a fairly simplistic brawler where you have high, middle, and low attacks, an impenetrable costless guard (which can counter if you follow a successful guard with a matching attack) and a grapple for high/middle/low that bypasses guard, a slow unblockable attack and a few bonus attacks you can unlock during gameplay. The attack<grapple<guard<attack works well enough, though the unblockable is just slow enough to rarely be useful (really only useful if you have a reach advantage 1v1, and even then not great). The real thing holding it back is the camera. Like a fighting game, inputs are directional towards opponent, but the lock-on and camera aren't "strong" enough to make it always work. Main game is about 10 hours, even if you do a lot of side content, but there's lots of stuff you'll only see on NG+, and 3-6 endings (3 main endings, one alternate version of one of those endings, one smaller fork in another, and one joke ending that's added onto the ending you got if you fulfilled the conditions that has its own rewards/statistics entry)

The game world though, that's amazing. The world is a recreation of 9 major parts of Akihabara. It's a total love letter to Akihabara's culture, by a company based there, with genuinely funny dialog and characters. The main plot is straightforward, but well executed. Plenty of times where dialog options let you be totally irreverent and it actually maters a decent amount of the time. I have a weakness for games that let you pick totally irreverent dialog options and offer unsolicited advances on multiple female characters right after you meet them.

I'd say it's well worth the 12 bucks it goes for on sale, but really, it's a case of a game where the sequel does everything better and you only touch the original for its unique plot after you've played the sequel. The sequel makes the gameplay actually good (strong 4/5), has greatly improved graphics (important for a game as openly lewd as this), has more of Akihabara and in more detail, and the story is just as good if not better all while actually being cheaper (since its been out on PC for longer and gets a higher discount). I eagerly await the Director's Cut expansion for the 10 year old game and 1: hope they don't ruin anything 2: it works on Proton.

BruceVC

Magister
I just finished DA:I, I enjoyed it and I gave it a 65\100

I made a detailed post in the official DA:I thread with the good and bad. Now I have that exciting decision, " what to play next "

I will go through my Steam and GOG unplayed games and post my selections in a day or two :cool:

Baron Dupek

Arcane
STALKER Shadow of Chernobyl with Starter Pack
me before Pripyat :cool:
me after beating the game with true? ending that requires to eliminate EVEN MORE goons armed with explosives and railguns
ffd.jpg
STALKERs endings might sounds good on paper, but doing them yourself is painful. Thanks goodness my stash of cats pics saved the day.
9/10 best "first time" mod pack, and seems like people forgot about this piece of shit Complete garbage Mod?

ffs who the hell disabled images shrinkage in the quotes/spoilers?
Bonus challenge? Reach Power Plant while wearing exoskeleton - can't spring in this damn thing. Managed to reach the entrance with few seconds remaining (from 5min 25sec) while avoiding RPG7s, lazer beams, explosives, grunts (fanatics and military) and radiation. It helped that choppers ignored my presence until last 50 meters from the hangar.

Next test - ShoC Upgrade

Spukrian

Savant
I'm playing through Alien Isolation. I started on Nightmare, maybe that was a mistake, it's very hard. So far the game is great though, really feels like I'm in a good Alien movie.

I'm also playing a bit of E.Y.E. Divine Cybermancy. I have no idea what I'm doing but I'll learn in time, I hope.

Bohrain

Liturgist
Patron
Finished Dark Souls. Not sure if it was bugged or I missed some particular quest triggers, but Big Hat never came to Firelink Shrine even though I saved him and exhausted his dialog in Sen's Fortress. I also saved him in the Duke's Library, but that didn't help either. Also I got the Large Ember and gave it to the smith (though it didn't disappear from my inventory), but he did not have the option to upgrade normal weapons beyond +5. I had fully upgraded Black Knight Sword so it didn't really matter, but it locked me out of options regardless. I can appreciate the interconnected map design, but as a whole it didn't strike me as a game I'd be glad to come back to anytime soon.

This a good thing. It means you are actually penalised for failing a boss fight, beyond simply having to try again.

The only thing it effectively does is make the player waste more time, since you generally know your way around the enemies from the nearest bonfire already. I had to try some of them a couple of times, but the longest trips were probably to Taurus Demon or Seath and they didn't put me to a risk or consume my resources. You lose your souls/humanity regardless if you die at the boss room twice in a row.

Finished Dark Souls. Not sure if it was bugged or I missed some particular quest triggers, but Big Hat never came to Firelink Shrine even though I saved him and exhausted his dialog in Sen's Fortress. I also saved him in the Duke's Library, but that didn't help either. Also I got the Large Ember and gave it to the smith (though it didn't disappear from my inventory), but he did not have the option to upgrade normal weapons beyond +5. I had fully upgraded Black Knight Sword so it didn't really matter, but it locked me out of options regardless. I can appreciate the interconnected map design, but as a whole it didn't strike me as a game I'd be glad to come back to anytime soon.

This a good thing. It means you are actually penalised for failing a boss fight, beyond simply having to try again.

The only thing it effectively does is make the player waste more time, since you generally know your way around the enemies from the nearest bonfire already. I had to try some of them a couple of times, but the longest trips were probably to Taurus Demon or Seath and they didn't put me to a risk or consume my resources. You lose your souls/humanity regardless if you die at the boss room twice in a row.
The big with Logan might've been related to you not "rezoning" after this or that bit. Happens often in Souls and even in Elden Ring. I don't think it was a bug, but rather you not doing the things you needed to do in the exact order you should've done them, which is classic FROM bs if you ask me. If you go on to 3, you'll notice that some quests require you to do the opposite of what logic would tell you to do. Elden Ring had the same thing at launch but since it's basically a AAA game now, they streamlined everything so people wouldn't get lost, and quests paths are much more "linear" now.

Gaznak

Learned
Surprisingly, Heretic II turned to be quite enjoyable experience. I always had an allergy to laracroftian activities in games (with all these enraging jumps and other acrobatic tricks) but Heretic II is more on the TPS side. Dark atmosphere of the previous parts of the serie is there, only the lore seems to be rather overburdened with nonsensical "t'chekrik" things.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom