Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What game are you wasting time on?

AndyS

Augur
I was playing Rescue on Fractalus and I remembered this free Windows/Unity remake from a few years ago, so I decided to try it out. They did a good job with it overall, although they need to add more oomph to when the pilot turns out to be an alien and starts pounding on your windshield. It's a classic jumpscare in the original game but it barely registers in the remake. So then I went back and played the original some more and had a good time.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
You gotta know the controls and how to direct the heli.
If you do that, then it's not so hard.

Im always filtered by flight shit in these games, in SA i think my friend or step bro helped me finish the flight school. Which is funny because he couldnt finish the final mission because he sucked at shooting unlike me so i completed the shooting sections for him.
Yeah I had this problem, then suddenly one day I got it and it stayed got.

soutaiseiriron

Educated
I've been playing some Vice City, one of those games that relaxes me.
Successor to GTA 3, gameplay is more or less the same, as are the graphics (though perhaps only slightly improved).
Soundtrack is pure 80s, also the atmosphere of the game is pure 80s flash and neon light candy.
vice city stories is good too, soundtrack might arguably be better. wasn't crazy about liberty city stories, but that one is fine too. if you're looking for relaxation maybe not for you though, cause VCS and LCS are probably the hardest 3D GTA games.

Darth Roxor

Rattus Iratus
Staff Member
I tried playing Kingdom Come Deliverance, and I swear there's nothing more demotivating to me in an rpg than the Generic Starter Town. When faced immediately upon beginning with the Generic Starter Town, I tend to quit right there and then within 15-30 minutes, and the same was true here.

'Oi, you layabout, go talk to your father!'
'Hello, I am your father! Stop being a layabout and bring me some charcoal!'
'Also bring me the money from the drunkard!'
'Also bring me the sword part from the castle!'
'And also bring me a beer!'
'Chop chop, get on to it!'

*quits*

I signed up for a cool rpg, not forklift simulator. Also it's patently obvious that your Beloved Mother and Father and probably the whole Generic Starter Town are going to get raped, killed and/or kidnapped after you're done with the fetch quests, which makes all of this feel like an even greater waste of time.

Hag

Arbiter
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is.
I tried playing Kingdom Come Deliverance, and I swear there's nothing more demotivating to me in an rpg than the Generic Starter Town. When faced immediately upon beginning with the Generic Starter Town, I tend to quit right there and then within 15-30 minutes, and the same was true here.

'Oi, you layabout, go talk to your father!'
'Hello, I am your father! Stop being a layabout and bring me some charcoal!'
'Also bring me the money from the drunkard!'
'Also bring me the sword part from the castle!'
'And also bring me a beer!'
'Chop chop, get on to it!'

*quits*

I signed up for a cool rpg, not forklift simulator. Also it's patently obvious that your Beloved Mother and Father and probably the whole Generic Starter Town are going to get raped, killed and/or kidnapped after you're done with the fetch quests, which makes all of this feel like an even greater waste of time.
If you can deal with it for one hour then it will only get better from then on. Slowly though.
And if you do continue and are happy to have escaped the awful beginning, don't ask Teresa about it too soon.

But it is a weird game that is half complete stupid bullshit and half the greatest game ever begotten by mankind that somehow end finding a balance as a very fun parody of itself.

TC Jr

Scholar
I may have posted this before so apologies but for anyone interested in the GTA trilogy, THIS is the best way to play on modern systems (Modern resolutions, same controls as PS2 etc.). Also check out this guys mods, extends some radio stations which is a must imo (especially in III).
There's also a PC "port" of LCS so no need to emulate, although PPSSPP is fine.

Zlaja

Arcane
I'm advancing through Wasteland 3 and feeling more and more OP (second highest difficulty). Why the fuck does your entire party get to go first in every fight? This is just stupid. It would be better if you ended up trading turns after one character attacks. Enemies are doing ok damage to me, but they just go down too fast. And I don't like switching difficulty midgame, and I also don't want them doing more damage, just to have more health/defense and for my entire party not to go first.

CthuluIsSpy

Arcane
Started playing Arcanum for the first time. I like the character creation and the sound track, but is there a way to make random encounters not bullshit? Getting real fucking tired of getting killed by a pack of wolves or a level 15 grizzly because the game just decided "you know what? fuck you"

Fargus

Arcane
Started playing Arcanum for the first time. I like the character creation and the sound track, but is there a way to make random encounters not bullshit? Getting real fucking tired of getting killed by a pack of wolves or a level 15 grizzly because the game just decided "you know what? fuck you"

Bad build? Also you can run away (probably)\reload.

CthuluIsSpy

Arcane

Maybe, but I still don't see how even with a good build you're supposed to do anything to 3 wolves (who deal way too much damage for a level 3 mob) or a grizzly at level 6.
This is on the way to Dernholm btw, which is part of an early game quest. Save scumming your way through the map feels like pretty bad design too. Fallout 2 at least at the decency to put high level enemies in appropriate areas.

Fargus

Arcane

Maybe, but I still don't see how even with a good build you're supposed to do anything to 3 wolves or a grizzly at level 6.
This is on the way to Dernholm btw, which is part of an early game quest.

Yeah travelling around Cumbria is a bit more dangerous for a low level player, if you can try to poach a companion out of Dernholm and just get outta there. For the first time i would lower the difficulty and follow the main storyline for a bit after Shrouded Hills. And try to gather everything you can from that place before leaving. You'll adjust to the pace once you get to Tarant.

If you are non melee character would be good idea to take dog, best melee companion, from Ashbury. You can travel there by train.

Would make things a lot easier for you.

aweigh

Arcane
currently having a grand old time playing EXPEDITIONS: A MudRunner Game.

never really got into a game like this before but it's insanely fun, very zen. just pure gameplay, get from point A to point B, no bullshit. truck go vroom

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Get used to LOTS of random encounters.
There is no way to avoid them other than teleportation or travelling by train or ship to the major cities.

blessedCoffee

c3RyYWl0amFja2V0cyBmb3IgaW50ZXJuZXQgdXNlcnM=
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
CthuluIsSpy If you decided to recruit "Worthless Mutt" in Arcanum: Of Steamworks and Magick Obscura, target the civilian in Ashbury before he can finish what he's doing. That, or you could persuade him to stop.
You see, there's a stupid bastard kicking the shit out of this dog, and he will kill the animal if the player doesn't interfere.

Ezekiel

Arcane
Why do I waste so much time collecting crap in video games that doesn't amount to anything? Spent maybe an hour and a half looking for a ceremonial trident that a zora dropped from a bridge or a zora spear that a blacksmith in Zora's Domain could forge into one, so that I could unlock a shrine. Completed a couple of zora side quests and found some koroks while looking for that trident or a zora spear in and around the domain. Then pointed my magnet at the water down there one more time and finally saw the trident glowing down there. Was happy about that, but also felt pathetic.

CthuluIsSpy

Arcane
CthuluIsSpy If you decided to recruit "Worthless Mutt" in Arcanum: Of Steamworks and Magick Obscura, target the civilian in Ashbury before he can finish what he's doing. That, or you could persuade him to stop.
You see, there's a stupid bastard kicking the shit out of this dog, and he will kill the animal if the player doesn't interfere.
I don't think I've been to Ashbury yet, so I'll keep that in mind.
It seems that there is a relatively safe route to Dernholm from Hills, but not from Tarant to Dernhold. If you go directly from Hills to Dernholm then you get considerably weaker encounters, and likewise from Hills to Tarant (through the wilderness). You'd think the safest place would be along the river because, you know, roads, but apparently the map is a lie and what looks like a river is actually a bear and wolf orgy.

Cael

Arcane
Possibly Retarded
I don't think I've been to Ashbury yet, so I'll keep that in mind.
It seems that there is a relatively safe route to Dernholm from Hills, but not from Tarant to Dernhold. If you go directly from Hills to Dernholm then you get considerably weaker encounters, and likewise from Hills to Tarant (through the wilderness). You'd think the safest place would be along the river because, you know, roads, but apparently the map is a lie and what looks like a river is actually a bear and wolf orgy.
There are worse things out there... That is why I always take the Dex and Str sustain straight off the bat regardless if I am playing tech or magic. They help a lot in the early fights.

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
He is one of the best companions in the game.
He's not merely a dog.
He is a BEAST. A killing machine...
Of course he cannot carry any inventory and can only be issued simple commands, but he does so much damage with his attacks it's almost crazy.
Also he does not take up a party member slot.

CthuluIsSpy Get Dog in your party asap.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
He's not merely a dog.
Of course he cannot carry any inventory and can only be issued simple commands, but he does so much damage with his attacks it's almost crazy.

Useful pets in video games dogs 1 cats 0

CthuluIsSpy

Arcane
He's not merely a dog.

UnderRail and Postal 2 has cats as weapons. Your argument is invalid.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
He's not merely a dog.

UnderRail and Postal 2 has cats as weapons. Your argument is invalid.
Fallout has dogs so that's 4 games with them. And mad max has a dog.
Current tally dogs 6 cats 2.

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Alright, so I whacked Sonny and finally cemented my very own criminal empire centered in Vice City.
I am aiming for 100% completion, which means the completion of certain tasks and finding 100 hidden packages (I know the locations of most of them, but some still elude me).

I find it funny that even while playing as a criminal mastermind like Tommy Vercetti you can still drive an ambulance and save people, also complete Vigilante missions and kill other criminals.

I still have to do the Malibu missions (some of the best ones in the game, but it does contain the rather infamous one called "The Driver").
Also the Taxi missions.

Quatlo

Arcane
Alright, so I whacked Sonny and finally cemented my very own criminal empire centered in Vice City.
I am aiming for 100% completion, which means the completion of certain tasks and finding 100 hidden packages (I know the locations of most of them, but some still elude me).

I find it funny that even while playing as a criminal mastermind like Tommy Vercetti you can still drive an ambulance and save people, also complete Vigilante missions and kill other criminals.

I still have to do the Malibu missions (some of the best ones in the game, but it does contain the rather infamous one called "The Driver").
Also the Taxi missions.
I remember using modding tools to mod the car in The Driver so it would not move (at least according to its stats)
Motherfucker ignored this and still drove it on rails. Vin Diesel was right, its not the car, its the driver.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom