Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What game are you wasting time on?

jackofshadows

Magister
I don't think I've been to Ashbury yet, so I'll keep that in mind.
You better finish that disgusting mutt off instead. There're 2 problems with it: it's op as shit and it will steal a lot (A LOT) of xp from you in combat. It'll be basically playing the game for you, forget it.

Once you gear up somewhat, random encounters won't be an issue, just as it is in Fallout. You can also use stealth on global map, unlike FO (but you need to raise it significantly and for every companion or go solo).

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
I don't think I've been to Ashbury yet, so I'll keep that in mind.
You better finish that disgusting mutt off instead. There're 2 problems with it: it's op as shit and it will steal a lot (A LOT) of xp from you in combat. It'll be basically playing the game for you, forget it.
I believe that Dog doesn't steal XP from you, only your normal companions do, since Dog does not occupy a companion slot, that's why I think it is.

You do also get experience for every hit you land on an enemy, so the more hits, the more XP.

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
I believe that Dog doesn't steal XP from you, only your normal companions do, since Dog does not occupy a companion slot, that's why I think it is.
Dude w/o mods even summons steal your fucking xp.
I know, but like I said, I don't think Dog steals XP from you.
He does with his hits, but not his kills.
The things he kills count as if you were the one who did it.

Fargus

Arcane
You can literally grind the world map forever so xp is not an issue.

You get less xp depending on the difficulty i think.

jackofshadows

Magister
I know, but like I said, I don't think Dog steals XP from you.
He does with his hits, but not his kills.
The things he kills count as if you were the one who did it.
He hits very hard so again, all that possible xp goes nowhere. Idk I'm just annoyed by that. And at the same time I'm not a fan of just modding that out except possibly for a summoner run. That's why I basically never play with the mutt.
You can literally grind the world map forever so xp is not an issue.

You get less xp depending on the difficulty i think.
Yeah on hard normally you won't reach 50 lvl by the end even going solo (unless grind).

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Started playing Arcanum for the first time. I like the character creation and the sound track, but is there a way to make random encounters not bullshit? Getting real fucking tired of getting killed by a pack of wolves or a level 15 grizzly because the game just decided "you know what? fuck you"
Chris, is that you?

CthuluIsSpy

Arcane
I invested in melee though, that's the thing. Level 3 wolves are OP. Ailing wolves are fodder, but the proper wolves really hit hard for their level.
Speaking of skill investments, lockpicking seems pretty useless. One rank in lock picking isn't enough to pick even early game locks, which kind of defeats the point of it. Might as well just use a big stick or unlocking cantrip.

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
I invested in melee though, that's the thing. Level 3 wolves are OP. Ailing wolves are fodder, but the proper wolves really hit hard for their level.
Speaking of skill investments, lockpicking seems pretty useless. One rank in lock picking isn't enough to pick even early game locks, which kind of defeats the point of it. Might as well just use a big stick or unlocking cantrip.
Lockpicking is hard until you max the skill and attain Master level.
Reaching Master level in any skill requires finding the Master trainer and doing the things he or she asks.

CthuluIsSpy

Arcane
Then what's even the point of it then? If I have a rank in lockpicking I expect to be able to unlock literally the first locked container I come across in the starting town, especially when skill points aren't common.
The points I invested in lockpicking could have gone into spells, melee, dex or will.

Zlaja

Arcane
Useful pets in video games dogs 1 cats 0

Major Tomcat is a useful cat friendly that can help you out in combat in Wasteland 3. Has more HP than anyone in my party so far (my party is around lv.16-17 atm). The little fucker rocks 368 hp. My 6 feet tall melee tank beast has 310 hp. :)

jackofshadows

Magister
One rank in lock picking isn't enough to pick even early game locks, which kind of defeats the point of it. Might as well just use a big stick or unlocking cantrip.
Unlocking cantrip depends on your magical aptitude so unless you wanna go up to 100 I wouldn't invest in that. On the other hand, if you plan to invest in dex then it's just 5 points to max skill level. Although if you aren't planning a proper thief/assa then there's little point in that honestly. Plus yeah there're alternatives.

Ol' Willy

Arcane
Zionist Agent Vatnik
I was looking for something to play on the phone while at work... something turn-based and crpg like

the selection of gaems on goygle store is truly horrifying. Piles of pay-to-win bullshit and weeb shit for pedos

The one I found and liked turned out to be shattered pixel dungeon

Basically, a guy from Russland developed a roguelike rpg called pixel dungeon, abandoned it but released the source code which spawned a lot of forks. Shattered pixel dungeon is the most advanced and receiving updates. It has PC port but I see no point since you can play something more complex on PC

5 classes each with 2 subclasses; 25 floors in 5 themes, boss fights at the each 5x floor and 4 quests during the game

Since it is roguelike no saving and each level is randomly generated once you start

It reminds me of Underrail, more like mini-Underrail - the game has the same vibe of enemies with different abilities, strengths and weaknesses (nearly every mob has some quirk about him); char has lots of abilities which are on charges or with cooldowns and good synergy between certain items and weapons. But since there is no build-o-mania like in Underrail, the build making is more gear based

screenshot not mine

screen-3.jpg

blessedCoffee

c3RyYWl0amFja2V0cyBmb3IgaW50ZXJuZXQgdXNlcnM=
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
CthuluIsSpy If you decided to recruit "Worthless Mutt" in Arcanum: Of Steamworks and Magick Obscura, target the civilian in Ashbury before he can finish what he's doing. That, or you could persuade him to stop.
You see, there's a stupid bastard kicking the shit out of this dog, and he will kill the animal if the player doesn't interfere.
He is one of the best companions in the game.
He's not merely a dog.
He is a BEAST.

CthuluIsSpy Get Dog in your party asap.

Oookay, and who said it was trash tier?
I just called it by its in-game epithet. I wasn’t trashing this NPC.

CthuluIsSpy

Arcane
Am I correct in assuming that I shouldn't bother giving enchanted weapons to low MA characters, like Magnus? I settled on making a gish type character because I am coming across a bunch of enchanted gear. I did waste a point on guns and lockpicking early on because new mechanics are new and I found a flintlock pistol in a cave only to discover that it's shit, but that's ok, mistakes happen.
In terms of spells I took Disarm for my first pick because I thought it would be useful. And it kind of is? Against ranged enemies that is. Against melee enemies it's actually a liability because most enemies seem to deal more damage with fists than knives for some silly reason. Then I took shield of protection and jolt. The former is pretty cool, the latter is kind of meh.
Despite some quibbles about mechanics and balancing, I am enjoying Arcanum. I really want to try some of the other backgrounds. It's not every game that allows you to play as a literal retard, autist or madman.

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Am I correct in assuming that I shouldn't bother giving enchanted weapons to low MA characters, like Magnus? I settled on making a gish type character because I am coming across a bunch of enchanted gear. I did waste a point on guns and lockpicking early on because new mechanics are new and I found a flintlock pistol in a cave only to discover that it's shit, but that's ok, mistakes happen.
In terms of spells I took Disarm for my first pick because I thought it would be useful. And it kind of is? Against ranged enemies that is. Against melee enemies it's actually a liability because most enemies seem to deal more damage with fists than knives for some silly reason. Then I took shield of protection and jolt. The former is pretty cool, the latter is kind of meh.
Despite some quibbles about mechanics and balancing, I am enjoying Arcanum. I really want to try some of the other backgrounds. It's not every game that allows you to play as a literal retard, autist or madman.
Give him Tech or Normal weapons.
There is a chance he will critically fail with Magick weapons and he will not get their full benefits by wielding them.
He can craft Balanced Swords (very good weapons actually) and even Feather-weight axes (which you can then use to craft the godly Pyrotechnic Axe, if you find the schematic sold by a smithy).

Fargus

Arcane
Give your most expensive melee weapon to Virgil especially when you fight in the sewers or any other dark place.

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Give your most expensive melee weapon to Virgil especially when you fight in the sewers or any other dark place.
There is a very special sword you get from fighting in the pits in the Isle of Despair, if you are quick enough to loot it from your opponent.
I find that it is perfect for my nigga Virgil.

CthuluIsSpy

Arcane
There is a chance he will critically fail with Magick weapons and he will not get their full benefits by wielding them.
He can craft Balanced Swords (very good weapons actually) and even Feather-weight axes (which you can then use to craft the godly Pyrotechnic Axe, if you find the schematic sold by a smithy).
Yeah I used him to craft a balanced sword and gave him that instead of the enchanted axe he's been using. He still has a suit of small enchanted chainmail I found in Bessie Toone though. I don't know if low MA punishes you for having enchanted armour.
Can you get him to use schematics you find? I find the crafting screen to be temperamental. I bought a schematic for goggled helmets just to experiment (I knew I wouldn't be able to craft it) and it took like 3 minutes for me to find it because the use learned / found schematics buttons weren't behaving.
Magnus has a point in guns, which I thought was interesting, but I'm not sure if it's possible to build him as a gunslinger. He has more points in melee anyway.
Anyway, gave my character that stone buff. The damage increase he gets seems to be pretty significant. I'm not sure if I'm going to be able to use the higher tier spells though, because you only get 1 point per level and I have to use it to level up dex, melee, dodge, wisdom, spell points and maybe charm and persuasion.
Which is a pity, because I was really, really tempted to make a melee temporal guy. That last ability is just hilarious. A built in Haste AND a Slow for enemies? Yes, give me that.

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Yeah I used him to craft a balanced sword and gave him that instead of the enchanted axe he's been using. He still has a suit of small enchanted chainmail I found in Bessie Toone though. I don't know if low MA punishes you for having enchanted armour.
Can you get him to use schematics you find? I find the crafting screen to be temperamental. I bought a schematic for goggled helmets just to experiment (I knew I wouldn't be able to craft it) and it took like 3 minutes for me to find it because the use learned / found schematics buttons weren't behaving.
No.
Only you can learn and use schematics.
You need the required items and expertise in the necessary Tech disciplines.
Go to the Tarant University and check it out.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom