Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What game are you wasting time on?

AndyS

Augur
I just finished a run through Quake, in the enhanced edition. I'm wondering if I should bother with the old expansions or skip ahead to the Machine Games episode.

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
I just finished a run through Quake, in the enhanced edition. I'm wondering if I should bother with the old expansions or skip ahead to the Machine Games episode.
Might as well play the expansions.
Be aware that the expansions are even harder than the base game, especially Dissolution.

Ezekiel

Arcane
Dang, Spyro the Dragon is already over. Finished with 77 percent. Brings the total number of PlayStation 1 games I've beaten to... one.

Spukrian

Savant

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
Finished Mega Man 6.

I didn't think it was possible.

I couldn't imagine that they could do worse than Mega Man 1.

MM 1 has its problems because they were inexperienced and on fresh turf.

Since then they've had six YEARS to refine and perfect the formula... and then they release this slop?

Its redeeming features is that they 'fixed' the Rush-weapons by replacing them with new ones that are actually fun to use - but force the player to watch a cutscene every time they're selected. Even when efforts are made to skip the cutscene, it's still a second wasted.

And... that's it. The Robot Masters are total Clown World-tier in everything, their weapons are rehashes of past Robot Masters, half of the stages in the game have the exact same ANNOYINGLY BAD music (who'd have thunk it, a bad Mega Man-tune?) and the castle stage bosses are also a joke. And it wasn't until after I'd beaten the game that despite my best efforts to sniff out secrets, I'd somehow missed one where I get a Quality of Life-upgrade called the Energy Balancer, where every weapon power-pickup would automatically be used on the lowest-powered weapon. Why that wasn't in the game from the start is a mystery to me.

But at least now I can put these games behind me, and I even have their 'order' by rating:

MM 1 = 6.5
MM 2 = 8.5
MM 3 = 7.5
MM 4 = 7
MM 5 = 8
MM 6 = 5

No way am I moving on to Mega Man 7, I tried playing that a long time ago as well, and everything about it put me off. I haven't played the rest of the Mega Man-games, but some of the fan games look interesting, at least. I also want to give Mega Man 9 a go, just to see how faithful they were to NES-hardware. We'll see how that goes.

Despite the disappointing parts, I had fun doing this. A nice walk down memory lane, learning more about technical limitations of NES-games, enjoying good music.

Caim

Arcane
Mega Man 7 is in that weird uncanny valley between a NES Mega Man game and a Mega Man X game. I kinda like it, even though it's pretty weird. Mega Man 8 is even stranger with some of its design ideas. Same for MM&B, which has an entirely different problem.

As for 9 and 10, they are a lot more like MM2 but without a lot of the jank of the old games. 11 meanwhile is... well, you really need to use its new mechanics. I do like the design changes to Rock whenever you equip a Robot Master weapon.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
Seeing as I had no real options to play Mega Man 9 (or 10 for that matter) I took the lazy man's way out and watched some longplay videos.

Even then I could draw some conclusions.

MM 9 is doing its best to try to look and feel like a NES-title, but without any of the hardware limitations. Any limitations imposed are artificial, solely towards the goal of catching the look and feel of the NES-titles. No slowdowns ever happen, no flickering is ever visible. I don't mind that one bit because then MM 9 'cheats' a bit by doing things within those limitations that go unnoticed to the untrained eye.

Platforms that only move based on MMan's momentum, platforms that spin MMan around, enemies moving at super-speeds, lots of things going on at once without any slowdowns... and some really cool bosses. Thematically the Robot Masters are sillier than ever, but how they act and fight in-game is far from that. More importantly their weapons are really awesome, despite their silliness. There's a Robot Master who fires bees as a weapon. The only thing funnier about that is that the first ever female Robot Master in the series happens to be vulnerable to the bees! Tornado Man fires a tornado which sweeps all non-boss enemies off the screen, making it one of the most powerful weapons in the entire series.

Then there's Galaxy Man, the Robot Master who fires black holes.

PBF-Hugbot.png

When you consider the story for a second, it's about Robot Masters rising up because they're all gonna end up on the scrapheap. I honestly don't know which thought is worse - that there's a Robot Master out there with the capability to create black holes at a whim, or that such a robot will ever become obsolete and needs to be decommissioned.

It's at this point I realized that the devs are gunning for comic absurdity, so I just roll with it and enjoy some laughs.

But seeing all these cool gimmicks and tricks made me realize just how restrictive the NES-hardware is. It's not because of lack of creativity that we have 48 Robot Masters, of which three use a time-stopping weapon, four use an orbiting shield, three use a returning projectile, and almost half of them jump around the screen like acrobats - it's because the hardware didn't allow for much more than that. When one studies the more abstract Robot Masters (just to name half of the boss encounters in the games) one begins to see the creativity at work behind them. The best contrast between the old and the new here is the orbiting shield. The shield functions almost identical in all four instances it appears in the NES-games, but then check out the Water Shield in MM 10 and how it's vastly more versatile.

One major addition to MM 9 is an item shop. Screws are now a droppable item which counts as currency. Take them back to Dr. Light's lab, and you can buy useful consumables or a handful of upgrades - and even a cosmetic item to boot! The Energy Balancer makes a return to the games via the item shop, but again I must ask why it wasn't just included from the start.

But at the end of the day, MM 9 is trying to be just like the NES-titles of old - and succeeds quite well.

MM 10, on the other hand, uses MM 9 as a stepping stone and tries new things. In its full mode MM 10 now offers a choice of three different characters to play, with three different weapon sets and playstyles. Lots of replay value there. But what I really took away from MM 10 was how the humor is cranked up a notch. I laughed out loud at Sheep Man just by seeing the name, and again at his weapon name. Strike Man deserves a special mention for his 'theme', and I almost fell out of the chair laughing when the map showed the path to the final Wily-stage. But at the same time MM 10 is filled with humor, it's also quite snazzy at times. Nitro Man is easily one of the cooler Robot Masters so far, and Commando Man's 'well-'ard' appearance is only one-upped by his weapon, one of the most versatile bomb weapons the series has seen yet. Then for one of the castle-stages they revisit the element of reusing Robot Masters from older games, but this time they get it right.

At the end of the day MM 10 is trying to 'evolve' into a more modern game, while still trying to appeal to nostalgia fans of the series. It's a direction I don't exactly approve of, but I can't deny that the game has plenty of content and feels fun to play.

Then I made the mistake to checking out MM 11 - Nope, not my cup of tea.

Last edited:

BLOBERT

FUCKING SLAYINGN IT BROS
Patron
Codex 2012
BROS PLAYING HELHERRON STILL

PARTY JOURNEY LOG

WHILE WANDIRING THE LQND HEAVILLY ARMED AS IS OUR RIGHT AS HELHERRONIANS WE HEAR BIRD NOISES

WE GO INTO THE CAVE WITH BIRD NOISES

BIRDS IMMEDIUTLY ATTACK AND AS TRUE HELHERRONIANS WE ARE HEAVILY ARMED AND DEFEAT THIS UNPROOVOKED ATTACK

WHILE WANDERING FAFRTHER INTO THIS CAVE ILLEGALY OCCUPIED BY BIRDMEN WITHOUT ANY WARNING THEY SEND BIRDFAGD WITH SWORDS AND SPELLS AND SHIT

WE MUST NOW KILL EVERY BIRDMAN FOR THE SAFETY OF HELHERRON

ITS A LITTLE SAD BECAUSE USUALLY Q MAYOR OF A TOWN ASKS US TO GENOCIDE THE LOCAL RIFFFFRAF BUT GOD GAVE US SWORDS AND SPELLS FOR A REASON

BROS THEY TOTALLY EVIL SO WE DONT FEEL BAD KILLING THEM ALL AND STEALING THERE SHIT

ASKTUALLY THE FAIEY PARTY MEMBERS HEARD SOME VERY FAIRYPHOBIC LANGUAGE SO NAZIS GET WHAT THEY DESERVE

THEIR ARE RUMORS THAT THE CENTAURS ARE PREVENTING FREE PASSAGE THREW THEIR HOMES

IF WE GO TO THERE HOME AND ARE ASSAULTED WE WILL DELIVER MEDIEAVAL MAGIC FANTASY LEVEL DESTRUCTION TO THERE FAIRYPHOBIC ASSES

Caim

Arcane
Seeing as I had no real options to play Mega Man 9 (or 10 for that matter)
Legacy Collection 2 is on Steam, which has the games 7 to 10.

But yeah, things get pretty cartoony. If that's not your cup of tea, well, you won't like the later games.

Are you going to take a stab at the X games? Or maybe some of the later stuff?

Ezekiel

Arcane
I wonder how many players actually completed Spyro 100 percent without looking in magazines and online. Some of these collectibles are pretty well hidden. SM64 has nothing on these secrets.

I wonder how many players actually completed Spyro 100 percent without looking in magazines and online. Some of these collectibles are pretty well hidden. SM64 has nothing on these secrets.
I didn't have any help and I 100%ed it. You have to keep in mind that if you were a kid in the 90s you probably didn't have the internet or 100 games to play or phones and stuff to distract you, you had time to burn on the 2-4 games you got a year. None of the levels are THAT big, and the only tricky part I can remember is the ones that require chained speed runs and glides, specifically the treetops level.

Ezekiel

Arcane
Just aced Icy Flight, then looked at the remake in motion for the first time. Really gaudy. :?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom