Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What game are you wasting time on?

Self-Ejected

Brayko

Self-Ejected
System Shock 2. :yeah:

Still fucking amazing. To me, that's golden era of gaming, mid-late 90's. Fuck your 80's shit.

Fart Master

Savant
System Shock 2. :yeah:

Still fucking amazing. To me, that's golden era of gaming, mid-late 90's. Fuck your 80's shit.

Playing SS2 also. I have this weird problem when I turn it sometimes seems like the game drops about 90% of the frames while turning which is slightly annoying.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
golden era of gaming, mid-late 90's. Fuck your 80's shit.

I can subscribe to the "fuck your 80's shit" although I'm not so sure about the "late" ninetees, mainly because games started the mass exodus to 3D, so after the era of beautiful hand-drawn 2D VGA yummies everything suddenly looked ugly as fuck. Still, the year 2000 was one of the best in history, because PST and Deus Ex came out (and others would probably add Diablo 2 and BG2).

Anyway, back on topic - at the moment I'm trying to gather the resolve to play Risen 2. Loved Gothic and the first Risen but read so many bad reviews for the sequel (including by the Codex)...oh I so don't want to this game to be shit. Please tell me it's not shit.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
PST and Deus Ex came out in 1999, and I was certainly referring to them in the time period given. :)

Ok, I checked and PST apparently came out 12th December 1999, so let's agree in the higher sense I'm right. And Deus Ex came out summer 2000.

circ

Arcane
HITMAN: ABSOLUTE SHIT

Well actually.. It's not too shabby. Better than Dishonored so far. Better level design. More solutions through objectives than climb pipe or don't climb pipe. Multiple ways to murder people. Shame it's just so heavily ghost centered on score. Also the polish is nowhere to be seen and the AI at times just makes you go what the fuck are you doing? This with the Arkham Asylum studio working on it might have been something.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Finished Bioshock 2. Much better than Infinite.

Playing Wolfenstein 2009 now, which is acceptable popamole from Raven. Also trying a stealth playthrough of Dark Messiah as detailed elsewhere. Waiting for Dishonored DLC next week.

RedScum

Arbiter
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity
Crusader Kings II as the duke of York. England has been in wars ever since the start, both from external threats and internal. No idea how many times the english crown have changed hands.

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
Crusader Kings II with the Game of Thrones mod. They really improved the vanilla gameplay with lots of events, traits, ambitions, plots and the like. New buildings, decisions and some whole new mechanics like personal combat also flesh it out very well. Had a blast discovering all the new stuff. Tried playing wildlings and later as the nightwatch but there it kinda falters. Wildlings not being able to raid make it a bit stale and the very slow recovery from conquest together with losing all titles at death means that trying to become a new King behind the Wall is neigh impossible. Nor is trying a whole lot of fun. Playing as the nightwatch is also rather boring as wildlings hardly ever try to take you on and you can't do much else.

When they implement The Old Gods and beef up wildlings I can however see playing them or trying to protect the north from them as the nightwatch be an absolute riot. Raiders going over the wall left and right and trying to hold them back with ever diminishing troops should be a given. Going to wait for that to happen.

EDIT: This being a Paradox game and CKII to booth means hilarious and wierd shit can and will happen. While playing as the lord of the neck (or something) I noticed the nightwatch was wiped out by the wildlings. They took over all the territory and were back to happily fighting each other. One of their biggest lords was Jon Snow. Made me lol a little. Most of their lords incidently were 'former' members of the nightwatch. I love random shit like that.

Keshik

Arcane
Playing Lords of Football, it sounded somewhat interesting to manage a football team's training and their lives and such. But it's a pretty poor version of the Sims, just make sure their needs for food, booze, sex are met and then they'll be happy and their stats will get a boost - also take a penalty, so too much sex means less stamina come game time, so on. Actual football game engine is good enough for what it's meant to be, nothing PES-like.

I'd preferred it if it were like the game my friend described when telling me about it, described it as a Football RPG - so you control a character from kid to mega-stardom, so to speak. :P

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Started playing Fallout (again). Having played lots of popamole soulless stuff recently wore me down a little, I needed some monocled stuff. Damn, playing these classics is so much fun.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Is Wolfenstein 2009 totally linear or the levels have some freedom?

It's not a tunnel but nor is it a wide open world. The main area is a sort of open hub, and you can pick between 2-3 different missions at a time, but those missions are pretty linear. They have some big open areas but there's always one route. The game is mostly fun because of just really solid FPS action from Raven... fun weapons, fun enemies. I find most modern shooters to be boring Call of Duty rip-offs but this game has a more lighthearted old-school feel.

If you give it a try make sure you play it at least a couple hours. The opening levels are more simple and linear than the rest of the game.

Also it's in licensing hell and not sold anywhere, so you might as well pirate it.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
The opening levels are more simple and linear than the rest of the game.

By 'more simple and linear', DalekFlay wants to say that the opening levels are utter trash. Seriously, you pretty much have to suffer through the first hour or so because the starting... 2 or 3 or something levels are so mindnumbingly boring and bad popamole Call of Duty lookalikes. I played it pretty recently as well, and I basically had to grit my teeth and go through them thinking 'maybe it picks up when occult high-tech nazis appear... this better fucking pick up when occult high-tech nazis appear...'. Fortunately, it DOES pick up when occult high-tech nazis appear, pretty significantly even, as after that point I had nothing but non-stop fun till the very end.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom