Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What game will best teach me how to enjoy RTwP combat?

Falksi

Arcane
Dragon Age Origins is perfect for you. Just don't play the sequels. With Dragon Age Origins you can win easier fights without having to pause at all. If something goes wrong you reload and you can pause mid fight to use potions and things as you need. On hard fights you can pause every 1 second, literally, which lets you make sure every character is doing everything perfectly at every second of the fight. You can't lose if you pause that much because even in a really tough fight you can just drink a big bunch of potions on your tank while you blast some stuff to death and then it gets easier. Good game, codex is a bit retarded when it comes to that game and RTWP in general. RTWP isn't really any different than a turn based game, you just control the turns yourself with the spacebar.

This^

And pausing in combat in DA:O works well too anyway. Not only that boot the combat is backed up by a fucking awesome RPG to boot too, with a ton of C&C.

Origins is the way defo.

Riddler

Arcane
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria
What frustrated you about BG1? Is it really RtwP that bothers you or is it the underlying rule set?

If you want a simplistic underlying rule set with decent RtwP I would go with Dragon age: Origins otherwise I would try BG1 again.

Darth Canoli

Arcane
TL;DR: To help me get started with RTwP combat, which RTwP games have the best/most fun combat, offer the most beginner friendly experience, or have a the best mix of both?

The only enjoyable implementation of RTwP combat is the KotOR series but it's not RTwP as in IE games, it's more action cRPG which happen to have a pause button.
The game that makes you forget how retarded is RTwP is Planescape Torment because everything else is so good.

Thanks to all the people who gave actual recommendations! I think I have some pretty good ideas now.

Seems like a handful of you also just came here to relitigate a 20-year-old argument about whether RTwP or turn-based is better haha, not that I didn't kind of expect it. I hope you're having fun at least.

Also big thanks to the people who have said both that only autistic people like RTwP and that only autistic people don't like RTwP, as an actual autistic person now I can be like schroedinger's cat I guess :roll:

tfw when the autist is the least autistic person in the thread

Catacombs

Arcane
Patron
If you're ok with RNG, I would suggest Rimworld. It's not an RPG, but it has by far the best RTwP combat I've seen.

If you're OK with RNG, the ability to enslave creatures and dwarves and like ASCII graphics, I would suggest Dwarf Fortress.

Chippy

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
No, but if OP was interested in turn-based he should start with Fallout, then TOEE. I started with real-time games like Syndicate/Wars, then went into RTWP, then turn-based. I think that makes you a better gamer, as you're thrown in at the deep end to begin with.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
LoL a lot of retards spearging on about their butthurt from rtwp. Couldn't even answer a simple question and going on writing speeches about useless shit,really sad bunch

AshWednesday Icewind dale is maybe the best for learning all the D&D mechanics and it is pretty hard. It lets you make a whole party,thus letting you learn all the strength and weaknesses of most classes in such RPGs. Baldur's gate and Kingmaker are pretty good games from that sub genre. Dragon age origin and Knights of the old republic are also pretty nice way to learn the mechanics. Seeing how you enjoyed NWN you could just play NWN2,but be sure to get the AI companion mods,this game have maybe the worst companion AI i have seen in a RPG.

Incendax

Augur
Deadfire is probably the most beginner friendly RTwP.
Dragon Age Origins is older, but still approachable.

Both use a Tactics system, which should be mandatory in new RTwP games. I’m looking at you, Kingmaker.

ScrotumBroth

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In
Dragon age: Origins because UI is made for console/controller in mind. It simplifies everything, plus each party member can be scripted to auto use spells/skills.

It takes away the whole point of using the pause to micro, but it's as retard friendly as it can get.

Although if you can't get into Baldurs Gate, it might be exercise in futility.

Jack Of Owls

Arcane
Fallout Tactics, best of both worlds.
LOL at those butthurted over F:T

Fallout Tactics was fun. Difficult combat until you realize all you have to do is specialize just one of your party in grenades/explosives and build up that skill and then its pure WIN from there on in.

King Crispy

Too bad I have no queen.
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In
If you really insist on RTwP then here's another vote for PF. The combat in the PoE games sucks major balls because Josh was too stupid to realize you shouldn't have 100 graphical effects going off at the same time obscuring what's going on so badly that you'd rather shove your face through your monitor forcefully just to see what happens.

Also, even though PF is RTwP, somehow it manages to capture the authentic feel of PnP-based combat with hardly any of that panic-hit-the-spacebar-oops-I-hit-the-spacebar-again-oops-why-do-I-keep-hitting-the-spacebar thing that you get playing PoEs and the BGs. The game's difficulty can be scaled WAY back and the kingdom management can just be set on retard mode.

Then again you shouldn't be playing anything RTwP-based until you've exhausted the entire turn-based library of classics then played them all again then maybe played some other games then cleaned your room then, if you're still bored, play them.

But PF is p. good.

Efe

Erudite
its being compiled. check results of codex top rpg voting next week

Self-Ejected

Safav Hamon

Self-Ejected
Village Idiot The Real Fanboy
Then again you shouldn't be playing anything RTwP-based until you've exhausted the entire turn-based library of classics then played them all again then maybe played some other games then cleaned your room then, if you're still bored, play them.

But PF is p. good.

Reminder that the lead designer of Pathfinder hates turn based combat

Last edited:

Ismaul

Thought Criminal #3333
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
So he hates the PnP game his game is based on?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom