Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What games/series are overrated on the Codex?

Forest Dweller

Smoking Dicks
I wasn't aware.

Black Cat

Magister
Dicksmoker said:
5. Demon's Souls. Any game that punishes what amounts to a mixture of bad luck and trial and error by forcing you to go through loads of bullshit over and over again can go fuck itself.

What's that sound? Oops, it seems I forgot to turn off my pansy detector before coming in.

Shannow

Waster of Time
Fallout, MotB and especially Arcanum...

But I don't give a fuck. Let the codex circle jerk about loving or hating certain games. Affects me not one inch.

Elzair said:
1.) Arcanum: It has shit combat (either too fast or too shit). Magic seems WAY more effective than technology. The setting, despite being unique, is very bland. The plot involves Generic ANCIENT EVIL AWAKENING #3502, and the pacing is soporific. I have tried multiple times over the last 9 years or so, and I still have not managed to force myself to beat the game.
Well there's your problem, the ancient evil thing is just a hook and not the actual threat. Persevere and you'll find yourself up against a great villain who actually proper motivations instead of the MUAHAHA crap.

denizsi

Arcane
HL1&2. The first was already overrated beyond reason. It became an epidemic with the second. Especially the Ravenholm. The most uninspired and shitty excuse for a level without any sense of logic whatsoever. It's basically analogous to playing Super Mario in first person.

Doom. It is good. It has style. It is fun. But it's literally worshipped by a bunch of old farts around here. And why? Because the game throws waves of enemies at you and you have to run and gun all the time as if that's some feat worthy of mention and is supposed to be this holy canon for FPSs for some reason, probably because of the excess amounts of shit oozing from the camper action of most post 2000 FPSs. Bleh.

Arx Fatalis. It's a solid game but nonetheless overrated. I discovered it here a couple years ago and not expecting much, was blown away by the atmosphere. Alas, the game loses its mystery hooks pretty damn fast and soon, becomes a burden in running between A & B, which hurts a lot due to loading and let's not forget the utterly shit melee combat and the gimmicky MSPaint "oh god it's teh best evar!" magic mini game on par with Bethesda mini games.

Dragon Age. Choices that affect some stuff but don't make any sense whatsoever. Shit MMO combat. Internet forum / fan fiction grade writing quality. The grind. A big bad pile of bad. LOL @ VD's review. Quad-LOL @ myself for buying into it.

Oh, how could I forget the most recently obvious one: Alpha Popamole. LOL. Just LOL.

May add more as I remember.

Dicksmoker said:
. Gothic series. Yeah I think they're way overrated. Perhaps what irks me most is that they are usually praised as rpgs. I think they are more action/adventure than rpg. Sure, they start out with the illusion of having lots of choices and faction dynamics, but that turns out to be false and the game gets railroaded. And then the games, without exeption, turn to shit at the end. Also your class is determined by what faction you join, so there's little choice in character development. And the world appears to be open but due to monster placement it really isn't until you level up enough. So yeah. Although I will admit that Gothic 2 was better regards to rpg elements. Perhaps if users reserved their praise for Gothic 2, and only Gothic 2, I would be more lenient here. But that's usually not the case.

The game actually gives you more involving choices than average RPGs despite both ending up at a predetermined end game and you are complaining? How is it any false when it comes to Gothic series?

And what's so inherently wrong or unRPG-like with class being determined by your faction? It's a fitting reality of the setting and an interesting and an actual choice as opposed to picking whatever skills you like in a menu and playing in a game world that is utterly and completely oblivious to that choice. It's most ironic then that you think the choices in Gothic series are false and un-RPG-like.

Also, what's that about open world and difficulty of fights? Are your favourite RPGs inconsequential hiking simulators ala Oblivion and the like, by any chance? I'm afraid you have not a single valid point there and beyond.

Oh, and the combat is complete shit. Seriously what the fuck. I can't believe so many people praise the combat. Just because it's hard doesn't mean it's good combat. It just means it's hard.

wat

What JarlFrank said. You probably want to just smash the buttons mindlessly while bunny-hopping around to avoid getting hit. And come to think, that would actually fit the profile, what with your hard-on for dual-wielding.

2. Thief. I've already been through this several times, so I'd rather not repeat myself here. Suffice it to say that I think it is very inferior to Thief 2. Short answer: zombies.

Short answer on T2 is worse: robots. Controlled by wi-fi. Lots of them. In fact, the entire plot revolves around them. It's massive decline from the occasional zombie encounters in the original.

When I think of T1, I roughly remember the entirety of the game favourably. It had few moments that I'd call poor. Thief 2, on the other hand... a disjointed series of derping with a just few really excellent levels.

3. S.T.A.L.K.E.R...And I hated those underground sections.

wat

I get and partially agree with the rest of that rant but to hate the underground sections... after complaining about the vast open but empty world...

4. Fallout. Sure, it (Fallout 2) added lulz too, but the whole setting was built on lulz, so whatever.

wat

Are you... Todd?

5. Demon's Souls. Any game that punishes what amounts to a mixture of bad luck and trial and error by forcing you to go through loads of bullshit over and over again can go fuck itself.

Kids these days... spoiled punks who take everything for granted.

Chateaubryan

Cipher
denizsi said:
Doom. It is good. It has style. It is fun. But it's literally worshipped by a bunch of old farts around here. And why? Because the game throws waves of enemies at you and you have to run and gun all the time as if that's some feat worthy of mention and is supposed to be this holy canon for FPSs for some reason, probably because of the excess amounts of shit oozing from the camper action of most post 2000 FPSs. Bleh.

It is deserved. There's plenty of stuff that were well done in Doom 1/2 :
1) Ammo management. Of course, it's only valid if you played at least in Ultra-Violence.
2) You needed to adapt your strategy to your ennemies and to reevaluate situations according to your surroundings. For example, you could stun some ennemies (either by using the gatling, or by shotgunning them at the appropriate time.)
3) Inertia. Doom is run and gun, but you needed enough skill to "dance between the fireballs". Learning how to properly strafe/run was a long - and gratifying - processus.
4) Level Design : dark rooms, traps, secret passages, Doom had enough shenanigans to keep you constantly on your toes.

In short, the stronger you became, the more satisfying the game was. Compared to the semi-realistic FPS that makes you crouch behind a box to aim for boring headshots, Doom is an action masterpiece. The decline began when developers thought that Counter-Strike-like mechanics - good for multiplay - would also be good for solo play. Despicable mongrels.

Serpent in the Staglands Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
People complaining about Gothic combat are extreme faggots. The combat is not hard, it just has a steep learning curve. Once you figure out how to play, the combat becomes quite fun, with the actual challenge being in the encounter design/level up/equipment system rather than how to actually do the combat.

People complaining about zombies in Thief 1 are also faggots. Like deniszi said, they aren't in any way worse than the robots in Thief 2, not to mention the complaint is retarded anyways because most people who complain about them are like OH NO I WANTED TO SNEAK ARONUD NOT KILL ZOMBIES, except you CAN sneak around zombies ffs.

Ermm

Erudite
Pokemon

I don't care how difficult new games are, because of tortorous shit. It's still pokemon, with a fucking pikachu.
Oh, but it's NINTENDO, so every faq defends it.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Everything I don't like is overrated. Please stop liking things too much.

made

Arcane
Dicksmoker is a faggot, no doubt, but I don't get praise Gothic/Risen receive around here at times either.

Fowyr said:
Most part of your list considered shit by the Codex. At least I hope it's considered.

Some yes, but it includes games that are way overrated in broader circles than just the Codex. To mention those as well is simply Just

Flanged

Scholar
Seconding V:TM:B as overrated. It's pretty dull most of the time, and combat is like from some terrible console game made in late 90s. None of it is scary in any way. The characters and conversations are pretty interesting, with some decent C+Cs (and some gimmicky ones), but it wasn't enough to keep me interested. Tiny areas that do a shit job of representing a city didn't help.

Arx Fatalis is similar in a lot of ways, but the small areas aren't so bad because they are supposed to be cramped underground caverns not open city streets. Maybe it's not overrated, I could just never get magic to work, which meant I could never teleport and had to trot everywhere at a miserable pace.

Gothic 1 is underrated on the Codex, and everywhere else. It has great combat (though archery could do with being a bit longer ranged) a brilliant skills system where if you don't learn to steal you CAN't steal - this is how you form your class, by deciding which skills to spend your precious LP on, not by picking it from a list at the start or by joining a faction. You have to think hard about what to learn - you can't be a jack of all trades like in most newer RPGs. And how does joining a faction dictate your class and the skills you have available to you in Gothic? It just doesn't.

I only tried it briefly so I might be wrong but Betrayal at Krondor seemed a bit overrated to me, not that it gets talked about that much.

spekkio

Arcane
"Overrated game on Codex"?

If I had to pick one I would choose PST...

:M

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin
In all seriousness I can't really think of any game overrated on the Codex. Sure you may have some people display an excessive amount of enthusiasm over some games, and often the opposite effect can be observed like the original post, but most of the time it seems the Codex got the right amount of appreciation for games.

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
Admiral jimbob said:
Cassidy said:
Well, I guess that most of the Codex "consented with the establishment" of next-gen gaming and adapted their tastes to make sure the New Shit feels good.
While, at the same time, most of the Codex is making some variant of this post. Experts predict mass suicides when the figure tops 50%
Black Cat said:
What's that sound? Oops, it seems I forgot to turn off my pansy detector before coming in.
I love you guys guy and girl :love:

Excommunicator said:
it includes games that are way overrated in broader circles than just the Codex. To mention those as well is simply Just
Maybe, but then the title shouldn't have included "on the Codex". Specifically seeing Alpha Protocol mentioned (yeah I know Dicksmoker didn't include it, but several others have since) is weird, as I remember about 3 or 4 people on here who like it and not a sinle person who thinks it's best gaem evar*. This is like that thing Jimbob was talking about.

* not to mention everyone outside the 'dex hated it with buring passion.

Serus

Arcane
Patron
Overrated games ? Easy:

1. Arcanum:
Terrible combat. In a crpg. With a lot of combat to be had. Enough said.
Character developement looks very well at first glance - until you realize that because of broken combat the majority of available options are pointless.
The presentation is bad. Trying to show whole cities in isometric view with graphics a la Fallout worked in Fallouts but in Arcanum ? A supposedly large city made of a few little empty houses, no way.
The world feels empty (especially main map) and unbelievable or it simply doesn't make sense.
All things considered, the game has at least as many weaknesses as it has features well done, hardly deserving to be called one of the best CRPG ever made.
I still like this game, god knows why.

2. PST:
As a CRPG it is an average game. Combat and character developement suck badly and all that is left is following the story and exploring the world. The story, the setting, the c&c are good but it isn't enough to make it one of the best CRPG ever. CRPG - not interactive-movie or adventure game.

3. VtM Bloodlines:
The combat mechanics are awful. The world is tiny. There is almost no exploration. There are some interesting characters to meet and quests to do but overall it is very mediocre yet the game gets a lot of prasie on the Codex.

Chateaubryan

Cipher
Serus said:
1. Arcanum:

This is something I don't really understand. Arcanum's combat is heavily criticized on the Codex but Fallout's, not that much.

Is it because magic is overpowered in Arcanum ? 0 AP Explosives ? No control over companions ?

Silentrider

Augur
I really like the(real time) combat in Arcanum.It's so fast you can't even think and the key to winning is preparation. (harm spell is a cheap move, I never use it)

visions

Arcane
Chateaubryan said:
Serus said:
1. Arcanum:

This is something I don't really understand. Arcanum's combat is heavily criticized on the Codex but Fallout's, not that much.

Is it because magic is overpowered in Arcanum ? 0 AP Explosives ? No control over companions ?

Arcanum forces you through more combat, all guns use the same ordinary bullets (even stuff like blade launcher), with high dex stuff like bows and balanced sword become somewhat ridiculous, first things off the top of my head. Harm is also supposedly way overpowered, although I've never used it much with any of my characters (think I made a char once who had it but didn't play very far with him), being more technologically inclined.

Also, the experience system is such that it favours characters who kill things themselves instead of relying on followers, and it also favors faster characters (since experience is awarded for every succesful hit your pc makes). In general, the game heavily favors fast melee characters, whereas firearms are somewhat underwhelming (still always preferred playing gunslingers though)

These are just some of the most obvious things I could immediately think of.

Freelance Henchman said:
denizsi said:
Oh, how could I forget the most recently obvious one: Alpha Popamole. LOL. Just LOL.

Hm, I don't know about "overrated". The vast majority here despise this game was my impression.

There was a poll, it was 50/50.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom