Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What games/series are overrated on the Codex?

Jagged Alliance 2.

400px-Trollface.jpg

Black Cat

Magister
Dicksmoker said:
Did you miss my Ninja Gaiden reference, or are you too retarded and ignorant to understand its significance? I'd like to see you get through the game on a harder difficulty, hell even on normal; you're bound to have a rough ride. PROTIP: automatically assuming that I want all my games to be easy just makes you look like a dumbfuck. Ninja Gaiden is more challenging than Demon's Souls ever could be. I didn't get that far in Demon's Souls but I could already tell that it wouldn't approach the challenge level of Ninja Gaiden. No surprise there; few games do. And Ninja Gaiden even managed to not force me through loads of boring shit every time I died. Imagine that. It had save stations throughout each level, like most console games, but even restarting from a save station didn't make things a boring grind until I got to the part that killed me, for the simple reason that even the weakest enemies can give you a hard time if you're not on your toes. That's the nature of good, REAL challenge; it constantly forces you to improve your skills and utilize the system to its fullest in order to progress. Bad challenge forces you to slog through boring shit over and over again out of some misplaced need to "punish" the player for not being alert enough, which is exactly what Demon's Souls does. There was no challenge in going back through the beginning of the level up to the point where I died, because I had already mastered those sections. You want to punish me? How about making every encounter actually challenging so that I feel like every step of the way I'm being kicked in the balls. That's punishment enough, but at the same time its constructive punishment, since I'm being forced to get better. Demon's Souls doesn't do that. All it does is waste my time as a gamer, and all it measures is my willingness to take it like a bitch. I refuse to be anyone's bitch, least of all some shitty game developer, or some dumbass poster who likes to spout shit about challenge in games but really doesn't know what the fuck he's talking about. So you can fuck off with that elitist bullshit right now.

What you don't understand is that difficulty isn't about just barely getting through a really difficult encounter, but getting through a series of difficult encounters. If you just barely get through one you should practice more until you totally dominate it. By having many checkpoints and what amounts to unlimited continues the game isn't challenging enough as you don't have to learn it until it becomes easy, it's just so-so as you just need to learn it until you barely get through.

That's why the STG community doesn't accept games in which you continued as true clears, just as training runs. For you to actually have won a given game you must be able to clear it in just one credit, anything else and you did not win it. Therefore, it isn't just to be able to beat one hard boss after many tries but being able to beat the game without lapses in concentrations, mistakes, or blind spots. If you don't really dominate a given boss you are going to make mistakes that can ruin your entire run, and given you can't continue to actually have cleared it, a mistake means having to start all over again. A mistake in the last boss means having to replay the full and nerve wrecking fourty minutes of constant colorful rape just to have another chance at it. Either you master it, or you suck at it. There's no middle ground.

I'm not criticizing what you say about Demon's Soul, even if I like the game as a spiritual successor to the King's Field games. I'm criticizing how very much pansy someone who doesn't want to replay long stretches of game because he is unable to master it is. If you can't clear an entire level without dying and with your eyes closed you aren't deserving of facing the boss. If you can't clear the entire level and the boss without dying and with your eyes closed, you aren't deserving of stage 2. If you can't clear all the levels and bosses without dying and with your eyes closed, you aren't deserving of the final boss. Etc, etc, etc.

Forest Dweller

Smoking Dicks
Black Cat said:
What you don't understand is that difficulty isn't about just barely getting through a really difficult encounter, but getting through a series of difficult encounters. If you just barely get through one you should practice more until you totally dominate it. By having many checkpoints and what amounts to unlimited continues the game isn't challenging enough as you don't have to learn it until it becomes easy, it's just so-so as you just need to learn it until you barely get through.
You seem to be under the impression that beating a spefic encounter means you learn nothing from it and you'll never have to utilize the same skills again. I guess if your ideal version of a challenging game is Demon's Souls, this would make sense. From the little I played I got that impression. But it's certainly not the case with Ninja Gaiden, the game I brought up. There are no "special tricks" to get you through specifc encounters. There is only utilizing the combat system well and having lightning reflexes. The skills you use for one enemy or boss are the same that you use for others. You may "get lucky" once or twice with an enemy or boss (unlikely) but your luck won't hold for the next one, or the one after that. You have to get good; there's no other option. So in other words, your point is invalid and will only work for games that don't require you to hone the same skills over and over again - i.e. games with shitty encounter design.

That's why the STG community doesn't accept games in which you continued as true clears, just as training runs. For you to actually have won a given game you must be able to clear it in just one credit, anything else and you did not win it. Therefore, it isn't just to be able to beat one hard boss after many tries but being able to beat the game without lapses in concentrations, mistakes, or blind spots. If you don't really dominate a given boss you are going to make mistakes that can ruin your entire run, and given you can't continue to actually have cleared it, a mistake means having to start all over again. A mistake in the last boss means having to replay the full and nerve wrecking fourty minutes of constant colorful rape just to have another chance at it. Either you master it, or you suck at it. There's no middle ground.
And that's a bad way to do it. The better way is to have you work your way up to mastery through stages that gradually get harder - like, for example, difficulty levels. Ninja Gaiden has four - Normal, Hard, Very Hard, and Master Ninja. Seeing as how I'm currently on Master Ninja, I could probably replay it on Normal and not die once (I died plenty the first time). I haven't tested it, but I feel fairly certain about this considering how much better I've gotten since then.

I'm not criticizing what you say about Demon's Soul, even if I like the game as a spiritual successor to the King's Field games. I'm criticizing how very much pansy someone who doesn't want to replay long stretches of game because he is unable to master it is.
And did you not read what I already said? I DID master the parts that I had to replay; it's not hard, once you know how to avoid the specfic traps and pitfalls. Like I said earlier: all it did was waste my time. The truth is, you're the fucking pansy, if you're not willing to write off a game that wastes your time as well. I want you to go play Ninja Gaiden. When you've reached Master Ninja, as I have, then you have the right to call me a pansy. Until then, I'll know to ignore you.

Black Cat

Magister
Dicksmoker said:
And that's a bad way to do it. The better way is to have you work your way up to mastery through stages that gradually get harder - like, for example, difficulty levels. Ninja Gaiden has four - Normal, Hard, Very Hard, and Master Ninja. Seeing as how I'm currently on Master Ninja, I could probably replay it on Normal and not die once (I died plenty the first time). I haven't tested it, but I feel fairly certain about this considering how much better I've gotten since then.

Yes, but you aren't able to 1cc it, therefore you haven't, truly, got good enough to qualify as someone who truly cleared a dificult game. That's why most people who likes really hard games go for arcade like games instead of long shit with saves and loads: Either you are awesome or you fail. There's no "slowly getting better". You won, because your gameplay was perfect, or you got killed. Period.

Until it got perfect, you did not really won it. And those games also have dificulty levels, they aren't exclusive to games with save and load. :P

Dicksmoker said:
And did you not read what I already said? I DID master the parts that I had to replay; it's not hard, once you know how to avoid the specfic traps and pitfalls. Like I said earlier: all it did was waste my time. The truth is, you're the fucking pansy, if you're not willing to write off a game that wastes your time as well. I want you to go play Ninja Gaiden. When you've reached Master Ninja, as I have, then you have the right to call me a pansy. Until then, I'll know to ignore you.

Ok. And while I do that I want you to go play Jade Penetrate Black Package on hard, without Auto-Bomb, and without continues, as it is needed to qualify as a 1cc, and then you have the right to ask anything of me. :P

And it is not even an ultra hard one, like Mushihimesama Futari and the like, just a middle of the road something to exemplify my point and argument.

Black Cat said:
If you don't really dominate a given boss you are going to make mistakes that can ruin your entire run, and given you can't continue to actually have cleared it, a mistake means having to start all over again.

I always just say fuck it and bomb them like five times.

Joghurt

Augur
Yes JA2 and X-Com seem to get universal prise around here. There is one another game that I haven't heard anything bad from Kodex - Betrayal at Krondor. I've played it but I did no finish it. Still it's damn fine game and I haven't heard any bashing of it from Kodex (except that somebody in this thead said that it is overrated here.

Shannow

Waster of Time
Well, half the current posters weren't born when Betrayal at Krondor came out and JA2 is praised for what it is. When dumbfucks like DS whine that Gothic 2 "isn't even an RPG" and thus overrated at the codex, he'll incite other dumbfucks to argue whether or not G2 is an RPG and what an RPG is in general anyway... etc, ad nauseam. But JA2? Simply has no contention potential. Those that like the gameplay, praise it, those that don't, understand why they don't and simply keep away. In G2 again, those that like the gameplay, praise it and those that don't somehow fault the game and its "fanboxs"... *shrug*
And x-com combines the reasons for BaK and JA2 :M

Forest Dweller

Smoking Dicks
Shannow said:
When dumbfucks like DS whine that Gothic 2 "isn't even an RPG" and thus overrated at the codex, he'll incite other dumbfucks to argue whether or not G2 is an RPG and what an RPG is in general anyway... etc, ad nauseam.
Go ahead and pick the one game that I stated explicity was an exception to the rule, so that you can be the dumbfuck instead.

DraQ

Arcane
Chateaubryan said:
This is something I don't really understand. Arcanum's combat is heavily criticized on the Codex but Fallout's, not that much.

Is it because magic is overpowered in Arcanum ? 0 AP Explosives ? No control over companions ?
How about generic ammo and no capacity/reload mechanics whatsofuckingever in a setting emphasizing progression from primitive to early modern firearms? Where the main difference between flintlock and revolver would PRIMARILY be ammo capacity, reload time and then ammo used.

And the presentation was just bland (mind you that I consider Fallout to be a pretty sexy beast in terms of visuals, it's not graphicswhoreism talking through me and I really like steampunk).
I can't understand why anyone would pick Tarant as good or memorable RPG city - it isn't. It's just a lot of rectangles spread over one huge blocky area.
Randomly generated Daggerfall cities had far more character.
With lack of vision or creative abilities this severe, they would have probably done better by just compressing it down into old FPP dungeon crawl-style game, except with much more emphasis on stuff other than dungeon crawling.

I still intend to play and finish the game as it does have something (maybe it's the main theme that made me go :love: or maybe the schematics? maybe it's just my scalefag self wanting to make some scalefag allies as I heard of such possibility existing later in game?), but for all the fapping going on over this game its flaws are just too crippling and inexcusable.

BLOBERT

FUCKING SLAYINGN IT BROS
Patron
Codex 2012
BROS I TRIED BETRAYAL AT KRONDOR WITHIN THE LAST YEAR AND I WASNT A HUGE FAN

I MAYBE PUT AN HOUR INTO IT I MIGHT TYR AGAIN SOME OTHER TIME BECAUSE OF THE LOVE FOR IT HERE BUT THERE ARE TONS OF OTHER GAMES I HAVE THAT I STILL WANT TO TRY

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Risen. I haven't played the Gothics fully because I'm not into real-time action with light RPG-elements, but Risen fucking sucks donkey-balls.

Divinity2, because it's getting away with perfect 10/10 scores.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom