Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What happened to "mature" art direction? Everything is Overwatch now

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
The answer is simple and has already been touched on by multiple posters: game corps want the broadest audience possible, so they go for the lowest common denominator.

Yeah, old fucks and people with taste won't consume their product, but that's like a tiny percentage of their available audience. They can live without our money.

Corporations suck at everything, but sometimes they get the math right.

They wouldn't make any less profit with better art/design/writing, that's the tragedy

Scammers don't usually go after intelligent people.

Same principle here.

On some level you have to respect these media companies. Unlike mercurial so-called artists and intellectuals, they know they're peddling shit and they're unashamed. Profit is the only god they worship.

Halfling Rodeo

Educated
The answer is simple and has already been touched on by multiple posters: game corps want the broadest audience possible, so they go for the lowest common denominator.

Yeah, old fucks and people with taste won't consume their product, but that's like a tiny percentage of their available audience. They can live without our money.

Corporations suck at everything, but sometimes they get the math right.

They wouldn't make any less profit with better art/design/writing, that's the tragedy
Making a unique art style and getting 300 retards across the planet to stick to it is quite difficult. It's already an issue with coding to the point where games are written like your first c++ tutorial to make sure everyone can hot swap parts. Art is even harder to manage.

Robber Baron

Savant
WoW had great graphics and artstyle for its time and was pretty edgy with violence and what not
And no one ever could replicate that magic since then anyway
I still remember seeing that screenshot in a magazine all those years back and imagining what manner of amazing adventure that game is gonna be
And it was

akVyQYY.jpeg

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
WoW had great graphics and artstyle for its time and was pretty edgy with violence and what not
And no one ever could replicate that magic since then anyway
I still remember seeing that screenshot in a magazine all those years back and imagining what manner of amazing adventure that game is gonna be
And it was

akVyQYY.jpeg
I remember utter disappointment. It was a teddy bear of MMOs.

Shaki

Arbiter
WoW was dogshit and caused the decline of the whole MMO genre, which used to be actually decent before this trash. We had manly MMOs like Ultima Online, before Blizzard came with their themepark casual bullshit for normies, and ruined it all.

Shadenuat

Arcane
It is just design pushing out traditional art so to speak since its appearance

What i think more practical problem of many games mainly 3d people dont seem to talk about is, how much harder it is probably for artist is to exercise control over art direction the larger game is.
Back in a day i think one artist could draw if not anything, but some majority of everything. Units lookmkinda dull in 2d game? Just some hours in photoshop and bam more colorful and nice. In an adventure game, good artist could make gorgeous backdrop and make it all look just like they want to.
In comparison, how hard is it to breath any life into souless unity standard grafix for example?

Hagashager

Educated
It's a counter to the the 00s and early 10s over-abundance of brown and grey corridors.

I find it funny that early Yahtzee was complaining about GTA IV being brown and muddy, but then 8 years later is pissing on Far-Cry for being eye-seeringly colorful.

RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In
I'm also not a fan of the grimdark style. Everyone says knights and chivalry are cliché but I can't think of a single property since Excalibur that actually plays it straight. Everything is a subvsersion, everything is an 'alternate take.' No one really wants to do medieval romance like 'The Song of Roland', even 500 years ago Cervantes thought knights were a joke.

Ironically Japanese people still play classic western fantasy tropes straight. Most Fire Emblem games I've played were about heroic nobles who fight for their people. There's an upcoming fantasy game Unicorn Overlord which seem to be in the same vein, MC is a good noble who fights evil tyrants.

No he didn't
He loved tales of chivalry
Dom Quixote is a parody, not a satire
This guy is usually wrong on just about everything, but he's right here.

Don Quijote is one of the most brilliant, funny, clever books ever written, especially because the author loved its source material so much. It's a beautiful thing, and anyone who doesn't understand that Quijote is in every way a powerful tragic figure rather than simply a ridiculous loser has watched too much Monty Python and suffers from brain rot.

10 years ago everyone on the internet bitched about grey/brown visuals and now they want it back. Lulz.

Backlash against black and bloom might've caused the issue, but take old D&D art as an example. It's not brown, muddy and boring but at the same time it's not cutesy or infantile.

Shadow_Elf_1.jpg

Tehdagah

Arcane

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
They wouldn't make any less profit with better art
Considering Blizzard games are the result of hundreds of marketing studies
I willing to bet that it's actually the other way around

No, Frazetta like art wouldn't suit games like WoW and Overwatch better

WoW is a cliché but silly fantasy world, Overwatch is a whacky hero shooter (with coomer bait waifus)
Their cartoonish art style is tailored for what their game experience's are (which is what's most important as far as game design is concerned) and what audience Blizzard wants to attract (which is their actual main concern)

This guy is usually wrong on just about everything
I am right on most things I talk about :cool:

Late Bloomer

Scholar

Halfling Rodeo

Educated
My guess would be it's backlash from the sea of brown 3rd person shooters. There was a good decade or so where every game looked like that instead, complete with the same face on every character. That plus a mllion artists that grew up playing crap early 3D stuff like WoW and FF7.

'Mature' art direction in 2011:

62660.jpg

62685.jpg
62686.jpg
Prey 2 is a joke right?
Dead island is dishonest. It's mostly a melee game and the city is 1/3rd of the game at most. It's tropical.
Far cry 3 is very green as well. It's weird they showed such a specific area

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom