Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What happened to "mature" art direction? Everything is Overwatch now

RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In
My guess would be it's backlash from the sea of brown 3rd person shooters. There was a good decade or so where every game looked like that instead, complete with the same face on every character. That plus a mllion artists that grew up playing crap early 3D stuff like WoW and FF7.

'Mature' art direction in 2011:

62660.jpg

62685.jpg
62686.jpg
Prey 2 is a joke right?
Dead island is dishonest. It's mostly a melee game and the city is 1/3rd of the game at most. It's tropical.
Far cry 3 is very green as well. It's weird they showed such a specific area

The picture was originally created to complain about ironsights not the artstyle.

Butter

Arcane
Patron
Some serious gaslighting going on in this thread. "You guys hated monochrome corridor shooters! So why are you complaining about CalArts retardo grafix? Isn't this what you wanted?!"

std::namespace

WoW had great graphics and artstyle for its time and was pretty edgy with violence and what not
And no one ever could replicate that magic since then anyway
I still remember seeing that screenshot in a magazine all those years back and imagining what manner of amazing adventure that game is gonna be
And it was

akVyQYY.jpeg
i cannot put into words how much i want to kill you

Halfling Rodeo

Educated
DXHR_screenshot_Adamstealthcover.webp

It's a shame people rejected the piss filter from Human revolution. The gold and black contrast was beautiful and it would have lead to some really pretty games. Now we have neon puke for sci fi games instead.

Last edited:

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
What happened?

No idea, but it applies to overall art direction, from visual to audio and writing, and it's not restricted to videogames.

It also applies to thought, which is terribly ominous.

Re:

World of Warcraft happened.

I'm going to put the tinfoil hat on and say the sphere of human thought changed.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Noosphere

NaturallyCarnivorousSheep

Albanian Deliberator Kang
Patron
Possibly Retarded
I think WoW can be blamed for it and it's not a case of WoW is popular therefore people copy it.
WoW comes out in 2004, it takes over a decade from there for the more "cartoony" artstyle to penetrate gaming. However in between you have releases of multiple games doing similar things, Team Fortress 2 being an obvious case.

Now the reason why it became popular is time. WoW was a game made to run on toasters and the arty style as it is helps the game to not hurt the eyes that much. Arguably it aged decently. Now compare it with it's major competitor at the time, released just months prior and requiring top of the line computers:
fantasy-mmo-games-everquest-2-extended-players-screenshot.jpg

Especially character models are technically ages above WoW but they're obviously aged and just don't look very good while Warcraft despite its poor armour design don't seem so out of place in 2024(talking about classic models ofc).
Team fortress 2 is a very similar case. It's an old game by now and it still looks fine, the strong design direction(as opposed to WoW) of it gave it a lot of longevity even if hats compromised it heavily.

Since games are now often made with an idea you will continue to sell them forever(shelve space issues don't exist), or they'll be GaaS or whatever, picking an art style that will make them age better is an obvious choice.

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
Some serious gaslighting going on in this thread. "You guys hated monochrome corridor shooters! So why are you complaining about CalArts retardo grafix? Isn't this what you wanted?!"
Prestigious Codexers will reject poor aesthetics of any variety, whether the "500 shades of brown" displayed in those shooters or the oversaturated garishness of Current Year.

HRUnCUg.jpg
:rpgcodex:

Halfling Rodeo

Educated
Tomb Raider Reloaded
Should have included the trailer for the full poz effect. It's from Netflix and I can't even tell the genre it's supposed to be. There's loads of these weird old Lara spin off games and some of them aren't terrible. Temple of light I think it's the most known spin off, a twin stick shooter where you raid Mayan temples if I recall.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
What happened to "mature" art direction?

d6ac592be3e935d118f02419578eb16a.jpg

Those religious paintings are the past's version of design-by-committee commissioned works. They're aesthetically pleasing, but the artist had little room for creativity. They make use of expensive substances usually reserved just for works of this kind, such as lapis lazuli and gold ground up and mixed with oils and paints. In a way they're like corporate art.

This opinion demonstrates a fundamental ignorance of art, but i'm in a kiddie forum so that's par per course.

Either way, i agree entirely with the author of this thread. Modern art in games is fucking appalling, and i just can't stand any of it and i refuse to play any games that has it.

Keep in mind that in the past even art that was made specifically for kids had a more "adult" sensibility to it. Take the old Lucas Arts adventures. The visuals are intentionally made in a style that is intended for children, and yet the art itself feels like it was made by adults. It's the same with those old Tom & Jerry cartoons, which can be watched at any age.

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
What happened to "mature" art direction?

d6ac592be3e935d118f02419578eb16a.jpg

Those religious paintings are the past's version of design-by-committee commissioned works. They're aesthetically pleasing, but the artist had little room for creativity. They make use of expensive substances usually reserved just for works of this kind, such as lapis lazuli and gold ground up and mixed with oils and paints. In a way they're like corporate art.

This opinion demonstrates a fundamental ignorance of art, but i'm in a kiddie forum so that's par per course.

Either way, i agree entirely with the author of this thread. Modern art in games is fucking appalling, and i just can't stand any of it and i refuse to play any games that has it.

Keep in mind that in the past even art that was made specifically for kids had a more "adult" sensibility to it. Take the old Lucas Arts adventures. The visuals are intentionally made in a style that is intended for children, and yet the art itself feels like it was made by adults. It's the same with those old Tom & Jerry cartoons, which can be watched at any age.
Sam&Max games...
Good stuff.

LanciaArdita

Literate

If it's cartoons/animated series we're talking about then certainly part of the reason why the later renditions appear more puerile is due to art having become extremely digitalised by the end of the 20th century.

A hand drawn animation is bound to transmit more maturity then something done over a graphic tablet and then having any possible trace of visual defect "corrected" with post-processing software. Erasing, in the process, any trace of individuality the work might have transmitted to the observer.

Now I don't condone the consumption of weebtoons, but personally the early works of Studio Ghibli or series like Ninja Scroll, I found to be digestible. The new shit? Prophet preserve us!

WoW (and other Blizzard games) surely plays a role, but I think it's more probably a combination of Cal-Arts and corporate design, which are taught and imitated today all across the globe. The tendency for low-poly, colorful, but flat look makes it easily modelled, and appealing to both shareholders, manchildren, and (probably) some actual children who just don't know any better.
As for corporate design, I mean this shit:

Also, many companies today strive to put their games on mobile, and while current gen smartphones are quite powerful and capable of supporting good graphics, their screens are quite small, and you need to design 3d models, which are easily distinguishable on 6" or so screen.

Halfling Rodeo

Educated
Unfathomably based. I would haved loved to see artists like Frazetta, John Howe, Alan Lee and John Blanche don plate armor and wade into a crowd of corporate memphis 'artists':
John Blanche designed a lot of corporate art for games workshop. Most of his career was extremely corporate and a lot of his work isn't far off the cal art style because it's so fucking small IRL.

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
I wish Frazetta was alive, he would kill them on sight with bare hands.
Unfathomably based. I would haved loved to see artists like Frazetta, John Howe, Alan Lee and John Blanche don plate armor and wade into a crowd of corporate memphis 'artists':

2A7bfWg.png

qKYLCnZ.png

Yeah in the meantime I decided Im going to sketch Frank ragdolling hipster art directors

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom