Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Divinity What makes a "Baldur's Gate" to you?

What are the features without which a game cannot be a part of the "Baldur's Gate" line of games?

• Total voters
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
All this talk of D&D editions just makes me wish they had made a 4E game, the system seemed tailor made to be turned into a CRPG.

Dwarvophile

Liturgist
The question was born from the discussion around "is it D:OS3 or is it BG3?"

I'm just curious to see how different features would get rated and see if the Codex has a roughly common view of what constitutes the spirit of the BG games.

I have no idea, one week ago I still thought Baldursgate was a political scandal.

Ausdoerrt

Augur
So many choices, and none along the lines of 'reactivity' or 'choice & consequence'.

I guess that's because the originals had none, but it's 2020, I think it's reasonable to expect good RPGs to have at least some of that these days.

Dwarvophile

Liturgist
Problem is Tolkien waa heavily influenced by catholicism, and nearly every modern dev is an atheist. 80's/90's was roughly even.

He was more influenced by the Finnish mythology and Beowulf, and his pantheon of gods (except Iluvatar himself) were more like Greek or Norse gods.
Even though is works were ultimately grounded in catholism, the catholic influence was far more subtle.

I thought it was mostly Icelandic influence. Reminds me more of the Edda, than of the KAlavela. But then again, I couldn't go far in the Kalavela, couldn't go past the Vainamoinen cycle. Maybe things gets more epics later on.

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
I don't really care about any of it. You could turn it into a FPS and it could still be great if it was done well (imagine System Shock but better). Or it could be set in a different time or something. I don't really care. I voted High Fantasy because if it isn't that, then there isn't really any point it being BG. I don't think people should demand certain things though, because they aren't essential. I've played real time games that are more tactical than a lot of turn based games. I've played single character games that have more depth than a party. I think D&D is easily replaced with something similar and maybe even better. Nothing really matters except the quality of the design.

I am excited for BG3 but I am expecting just an improved DoS2. Which is still good... I had some fun in that game, I just hated the stupid armor system, hated the loot, and was bored by the combat which is the only reason I really played it. But all of those things are going to be replaced in BG3 so there's a chance I'll enjoy it. But I expect it will just be a game I play though once and enjoy but then move on with my life.

I am far more interested in other games.

Last edited:

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
So many choices, and none along the lines of 'reactivity' or 'choice & consequence'.

I guess that's because the originals had none, but it's 2020, I think it's reasonable to expect good RPGs to have at least some of that these days.

Scripting isn't any easier.

ScrotumBroth

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In
It just needs to have the best intro music in the history of gaming and option to reroll char stats infinite amount of times until the "perfect" roll comes along.

I've never advanced further than creation screen and have easily sunk thousands of hours on both games. 10/10

Essential elements:

1. Three elf bitches that constantly bicker over who gets to ride your dong.

2. A sister that calls you queer about a hundred times a day.

3. Swanky character portraits - the more the better.

To improve a BG:

1. No retards - in other words, no Minsc.

To ruin a BG:

1. Beamdog.

Twiglard

Poland Stronk
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
1. Encounter design.
2. Idiosyncratic spell progression with convoluted magic protections, etc.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
You forgot to add vancian magic :). Also BG didn't had an epic world defining setting,the first one was about market speculations and the second one was about some weird elf wanting to suck your powerz.
I didn't. Vancian magic was part of the ruleset, and I've added options for D&D ruleset/has to be AD&D.

Looks like almost everyone agrees a Baldur's Gate should be a party-based D&D game, everything else is up for debate. BG3 going to be a New Classic.
everyone agrees BG 3 should be a computer game.....oh look, Bg3 is going to be a computer game!! Well then, we must agree its going to be spectacular! There simply is no other conclusion to come to. That is how it works.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
everyone agrees BG 3 should be a computer game.....oh look, Bg3 is going to be a computer game!! Well then, we must agree its going to be spectacular! There simply is no other conclusion to come to. That is how it works.

It's going to be a new classic because both D:OSes were and this is D:OS with a BG makeover.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom