Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What RPG had the best companions?

eli

Learned
Oblivion adoring fan counts?

Palomides

Augur
BG2; Jan Jansen. Every other companion in every other game is trash. Well... except for that gnome in NWN2... The Gnome wizard in the best module of course. He almost reminds me of Golodon except he's way more intelligent being a Gnome and not an elf.
He's trash, I enjoy gutting him. :flamesaw:

FriendlyMerchant

BG2; Jan Jansen. Every other companion in every other game is trash. Well... except for that gnome in NWN2... The Gnome wizard in the best module of course. He almost reminds me of Golodon except he's way more intelligent being a Gnome and not an elf.
He's better than you by far. But I guess you can do nothing but attempt violence against your superiors. A common behavior among the goyim.

Palomides

Augur
He's better than you by far. But I guess you can do nothing but attempt violence against your superiors. A common behavior among the goyim.
If you and your big nose would leave, perhaps we could avoid such a situation.

FriendlyMerchant

You're being replaced goy and within a generation you and you're people will be gone while G-d's chosen and only the more compliant goyim will remain. You're the one who will be leaving at the end of the day.

Serus

Arcane
Patron
Jagged Alliance 2. Great writing - in a couple of phrases*, they did better characters than in most crpgs centred on companions.
You can guess which one is my favourite - but not really the best written.
I also liked Jan Jansen in polish BG2. He made me laugh unlike other "funny" companions in other crpgs. I know, i know... but he did.

*Not as few as one my think, some had quite decent amount of writing. Ira was annoying as hell though. But even she had a distinct character - just an annoying one.

Jason Liang

Arcane
tumblr_ogf8wf56op1tu022ro1_1280.pnj

I have to say PS3's MIEU and WREN. Ever loyal to the end, across generations, and they put in the work. My love for MIEU is endless - she's Rhys's first companion, and she is the one that saves Rhys's grandson in the game's very end. I love WREN so much that him showing up in PS4 was the game's highlight for me. And WREN has maybe most banger music score in any RPG to boot:

__rappy_mieu_searren_laia_fuin_and_1_more_phantasy_star_and_1_more_drawn_by_isedaichi_ken__b69c085f1b8512e9fc89ada5c999a9c3.jpg

Otherwise it's a hard choice between Rance VI's core party and Rance IX's - picking Rance Quest would be cheating since everyone is in Rance Quest. Rance VI you just end up caring about everyone, even the "red shirts" like Bernard and Cessna. It's when Rance first forms genuine bro-ships, with Patton and Gandhi. Rance IX is very close to Rance VI - except IX has a Seven Samurai/ Magnificent Seven feel to it, and being a TRPG helps too.

__rance_masou_shizuka_kentou_kanami_sheila_helman_crook_morphus_and_4_more_rance_and_1_more_drawn_by_swd3e2__16023d3a9edd9d1b0cd2dec89d1dc85c.jpg

Rance IX. My current actual desktop wallpaper.

Palomides

Augur
You're being replaced goy and within a generation you and you're people will be gone while G-d's chosen and only the more compliant goyim will remain. You're the one who will be leaving at the end of the day.
I'm talking about Gnomes, you retard.

Nikanuur

Arbiter
Patron
I don't know if best, but when I remember some characters, it's usually brave, angry, but also kind Jaheira, no less brave but always sort of nervous Khaild, ultimately bonkers strength-machine Minsc, Imoen, who despite all she'd been through tried her best to be normal and sweet, heck eben the look-at-me-how-I'm-totally-not-evil Xzar from BG2, or the beyond cool, stoic D'akkon, refuse-to-be-dead-in-any-possible-way Morte, and conflicted, yet deep down caring Annah from PS:T.

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Jagged Alliance 2. Great writing - in a couple of phrases*, they did better characters than in most crpgs centred on companions.
You can guess which one is my favourite - but not really the best written.
I also liked Jan Jansen in polish BG2. He made me laugh unlike other "funny" companions in other crpgs. I know, i know... but he did.

*Not as few as one my think, some had quite decent amount of writing. Ira was annoying as hell though. But even she had a distinct character - just an annoying one.
Indeed.
How could I have forgotten Jagged Alliance mercs?

Lagole Gon

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Pathfinder: Wrath
BG1 is a great example of why focusing on a few is better than spreading yourself thin.
Very few people can even name all of the companions from BG1 without looking it up.
Imoen.
Yeslick, Kagain.
Minsc, Dynaheir, Edwin, Alora.
Skie, Eldoth, Shar-Teel, Garrick, Xan.
Ajantis.
Quayle, Tiax.
Safana, Coran.
Viconia, Kivan.
Khalid, Jaheira, Montaron, Xan.
Branwen.
Faldorn.

Codex Year of the Donut
BG1 is a great example of why focusing on a few is better than spreading yourself thin.
Very few people can even name all of the companions from BG1 without looking it up.
Imoen.
Yeslick, Kagain.
Minsc, Dynaheir, Edwin, Alora.
Skie, Eldoth, Shar-Teel, Garrick, Xan.
Ajantis.
Quayle, Tiax.
Safana, Coran.
Viconia, Kivan.
Khalid, Jaheira, Montaron, Xan.
Branwen.
Faldorn.
You forgot the temporary companions in the tutorial. :smug:

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Bruh if he's so superior how come he got killed by the PC?

smaug

Secular Koranism with Israeli Characteristics
Patron
Dumbfuck
Insert Title Here
Baldur’s Gate 2
Fallout 2

FriendlyMerchant

Bruh if he's so superior how come he got killed by the PC?
Neither of them get killed by the PC canonically.

BG2 had nice companions. Jaheira because of mechanical and lore reasons. Viconia and Edwin were also interesting. Didn't like Minsc though, I am sorry.

curds

Magister
Diego, milten, Lester and gorn from Gothic/2.

Not traditional rpg companions, but linking up with those guys always felt like hanging with the boys.

Same goes for solaire and siegmeyer from dark souls.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom