Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What would you think if Larian makes Arcanum 2 next?

cyborgboy95

News Cyborg
Presuming Microsoft is willing to lend the Arcanum IP to Larian (they would be a fool not to after the massive success of Baldur's Gate 3).

I mean, Larian clearly is aware of Arcanum and is somewhat fond of the cult classic, given that one of the writers at Larian did acknowledge the influence Arcanum has on the opening of Baldur's Gate 3 while Larian's composer Borislav Slavor outright asked if anyone is excited for a potential sequel to Arcanum:

The opening of Arcanum sees you narrowly survive an attack on an airship. Clambering from the wreckage, you find an artifact that propels the game's story forward in the possession of another passenger of that ship. The opening area sees you exploring the fiery wreck in search of further survivors - at least one of whom, naturally, will become a party member. When it's laid out like that, yeah, the resemblance to the Baldur's Gate 3 opening is kind of uncanny.

I think Arcanum 2 matches the kind of smaller-and-cost-less-time-to-develop-than-Baldur's Gate 3 RPG that Larian want to make next; since Arcanum's system, rules and mechanic are much simpler than Baldur's Gate 3 (more like Fallout than D&D). Larian'd probably ditch the real-time combat option in favor of turn-based only if they develop Arrcanum 2, which is a good thing in my eyes.

Say what you will about Baldur's Gate 3, it did come close to Arcanum's willingness to let you murder literally everyone, a rare thing in AAA RPGs these days. A Larian's take on Arcanum would certainly breathe new life to the franchise not to mention bring mainstream's attention to it. Since Obsidian and Inxile are so busy with their own project these days (Avowed, The Outer World 2,, Clockwork Revolution), Larian currently is the only available studio with their hand free to make Arcanum 2 next should they choose so.

I am personally dying to experience Arcanum's unique blend of Tolkien-esque fantasy and steampunk tropes again, and I enjoy Baldur's Gate 3 despite some of its cringes, so I wouldn't mind if it turns out Arcanum 2 is Larian's next project. What about you?

Last edited:

DemonKing

Arcane
So your theory is that after selling millions of copies of the Divinity Series and Baldur's Gate 3, Larian's next logical step would be to do a sequel to an obscure steampunk CRPG?

:hahyou:

cyborgboy95

News Cyborg
So your theory is that after selling millions of copies of the Divinity Series and Baldur's Gate 3, Larian's next logical step would be to do a sequel to an obscure steampunk CRPG?

:hahyou:
If they want to, sure. The name Larian is now big enough to garner mainstream's attention to any franchise they choose to adapt next, not to mention Larian is still owned by Swen so it's his call instead of some shareholders or executives. What would you rather they make next then?

cyborgboy95

News Cyborg
why the hell you think i wanna play a game where a gnome asks me if i want him to shove a steam-powered dildo up my player character's asshole......
Nah, Larian doesn't have the guts to make any of the midget races romanceable, just look at Baldur's Gate 3 (no short race companion)

rojay

Scholar
why the hell you think i wanna play a game where a gnome asks me if i want him to shove a steam-powered dildo up my player character's asshole......
I don't know, how did you answer? Because I'm guessing we might be able to diagnose the source of your butt hurt.

DemonKing

Arcane
Let me guess, you dislike Baldur Gate 3 and thus do not want Larian to get their filthy hands on the precious Arcanum IP??
No I like BG3 - I just didn't enjoy Arcanum much at all.

Happy for it to RIP and for Larian to stick to their strengths and make more DOS/D&D games (maybe IWD 3?).

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
Fun story: very early in BG3 development when we talked about starting the game at basically the crash of a ship, my first response was: Arcanum did that
lol, and dos1-2 didnt?
Its their signature start, like bethesda prison

cyborgboy95

News Cyborg
Fun story: very early in BG3 development when we talked about starting the game at basically the crash of a ship, my first response was: Arcanum did that
lol, and dos1-2 didnt?
DOS 1 big ship carrying the two protagonists at the beginning didn't sunk or get attacked, while in Baldur Gate 3 the game begins with an airship that crash to the ground after being attacked by other flying units like Arcanum, not a boat like DOS 1 & 2

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
lol, and dos1-2 didnt?
DOS 1 big ship carrying the two protagonists at the beginning didn't sunk or get attacked, while in Baldur Gate 3 the game begins with an airship that crash to the ground after being attacked by other flying units like Arcanum, not a boat like DOS 1 & 2
yet you still end up on the beach...

anyway they indeed keep upping the scale, next game will feature crashing space ship... on the beach

RaggleFraggle

Ask me about VTM
It think it would be great to popularize more original settings and urban fantasy in a similar way to how Cyberpunk 2077 popularized cyberpunk. Even if Arcanum 2 isn't as great as original fans hope, it might inspire other devs to make more urban fantasy games. More creativity, originality and options is always good in today's bland homogenous pop culture wasteland of endless stale rehashes.

vitellus

the irascible
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
to see the reactions from everyone would be well worth whatever they'd make with the license. muh see and see. muh garbaggio combat. an rpg without decent combat is interactive fiction.

interactive fiction sucks ass because any halfway decent writer actually writes books and publish them and live off of that. this is why there is only one metric in an rpg: combat. arcanum's was trash.

Alex

Arcane
The best place for Larian to employ their talents is making a spreadsheet software. True, they probably would find a way to insert degeneracy even into that. But since everyone already uses something else nowadays, it wouldn't matter.

kites

samsung verizon hitachi
Patron
RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
It would be interesting if they did, fantasy and sci-fi concepts are often stale and underutilized nowadays. If not Arcanum, imagine them using something like the Space: 1889 setting..

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom