Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What would you think if Larian makes Arcanum 2 next?

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
It....did?

Try casting heal on tech guy, or use a pharmaceutical on a magic guy. It'll either do very little or absolutely nothing.
my max tech pistolero could cast tempus faggit on himself though(nitpicking i know)

Mauman

Scholar
It....did?

Try casting heal on tech guy, or use a pharmaceutical on a magic guy. It'll either do very little or absolutely nothing.
my max tech pistolero could cast tempus faggit on himself though(nitpicking i know)
Yes, buffs are the exception to the rule. And teleportation.

My point is it's not a perfect system but it did affect human biology to a point.

Chippy

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
"...If Larian made Arcanum 2?".

It would have garden gnome sex? Maybe some necrophilia? Current audience stuff is a must these days right?.

Mauman

Scholar

It would have garden gnome sex? Maybe some necrophilia? Current audience stuff is a must these days right?.
A 10 ft mega mecha with a strap-on

Fucking a gnome to make it legal & consensual.
Oh God....I just had a horrible thought of how Larian could make something like the Gnome/Ogre conspiracy but for titillation.

I...feel ill now.

Cohesion

Liturgist
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
larian did a good job with baldurs gate 3

the bigger problem is larian coming up with their own ideas

being chained to dnd is the best thing that happened to them,
You had me right up to there, but no further.
srs nigga, you gonna defend the encounter design of the second half of arcanum, meh, melee character rapes every other build, it could be balanced better for sure
Level 1 spell rapes whole game.

Chippy

Arcane
Patron

A 10 ft mega mecha with a strap-on

Fucking a gnome to make it legal & consensual.
Oh God....I just had a horrible thought of how Larian could make something like the Gnome/Ogre conspiracy but for titillation.

I...feel ill now.

Now you see my mind never went there, so it kinda proves you've got perversions that are too disgusting even for the Codex. Just taken it too far now.

Fargus

Arcane

Kerghan is back and now he is a necrophiliac. After getting fucked by the Living One and spending another 2000 years in the void recuperating he still wants to kill everyone in Arcanum... but this time so he can fuck their corpses for all eternity.

the mole

Scholar
Shitposter
Also, now I recall, the whole premise of magic interfering with specifically non-electronic technology is just plain weird in retrospect. Why doesn’t it negatively affect biology in the same way? If it can cause steam trains to spontaneously derail due to tiny shifts in velocity, then why doesn’t it cause spontaneous aneurysms using the same logic?
Magic vs science is almost always retarded.

The one series that did this correctly was Mage: the Ascension. In this world, magic has to be practiced covertly (and the magical effect has to be disguised as a lucky cohendicence), not because muh magic interferes with muh science for no reason, but because science (or rather, the modernist worldview) itself is revealed to be a belief system that was implemented by a group of mages (Technocracy) who convinced most of the people in the world to regard it as the only possible reality, and the collective conviction of the world's masses collides with obviously supernatural effects and causes a paradox.

It's belief vs belief.
in arcanum belief isn't a factor in technology working, only a magic user can disrupt it, really it's the other way around, technology negates magic effects in actual gameplay, in other words, knowledge negating belief in magic

srs nigga, you gonna defend the encounter design of the second half of arcanum, meh, melee character rapes every other build, it could be balanced better for sure
harm isn't as good as melee spam and melee party member spam, hackin that meat, nam sayin

it wasn't superbly balanced

Beans00

Erudite
Possibly Retarded
I wouldn't play it and I wouldn't care.

I've played 4(DD, BD, DOS, DOS 2) of their games and enjoyed zero of them. Just not my thing!

Chippy

Arcane
Patron
Mauman So did you stomach BG3 with the bears?. :lol:

I was thinking of a few more:

Magus Shale Fist would be 'problematic' as he assumed the gender/pronouns of the stone and the shape.

They'd leave the sheep in the whore house and probably add a haggis recipe for you to eat it afterwards.

The master of dodge would be a closet homosexual and the master of melee his forbidden love sending you on a quest to find the closet key. They both tried to get rid of the woman in the love triangle.

The priestess that gives you +1 Beauty at the temple in Stillwater would be a hermaphrodite. *Cheers heard all round from the Codex*

jakkis

Educated
Also, now I recall, the whole premise of magic interfering with specifically non-electronic technology is just plain weird in retrospect. Why doesn’t it negatively affect biology in the same way? If it can cause steam trains to spontaneously derail due to tiny shifts in velocity, then why doesn’t it cause spontaneous aneurysms using the same logic?

The one series that did this correctly was Mage: the Ascension. In this world, magic has to be practiced covertly (and the magical effect has to be disguised as a lucky cohendicence), not because muh magic interferes with muh science for no reason, but because science (or rather, the modernist worldview) itself is revealed to be a belief system that was implemented by a group of mages (Technocracy) who convinced most of the people in the world to regard it as the only possible reality, and the collective conviction of the world's masses collides with obviously supernatural effects and causes a paradox.

It's belief vs belief.
in arcanum belief isn't a factor in technology working, only a magic user can disrupt it, really it's the other way around, technology negates magic effects in actual gameplay, in other words, knowledge negating belief in magic

harm isn't as good as melee spam and melee party member spam, hackin that meat, nam sayin

it wasn't superbly balanced
Yes, magnus making basic axes and Charname turning them into pyro axes with 0 skill and only manuals. Mine golems ain't so tough with Sogg and Chukka and Gar armed with pyroaxes.

RaggleFraggle

Ask me about VTM

It's belief vs belief.
That’s doing it correctly? That is some of the stupidest shit that I have ever read short of Timecube. Was this game written by the woke? *checks notes* Oh, it was. That checks out.

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
There are a ton of ways to execute a steampunk setting. So I’m surprised there’s so few video games in the genre. There’s Arcanum and… I can’t think of anything else. And even Arcanum complicates it by adding magic and D&D races.
Final Fantasy VI (1994, originally released outside Japan as Final Fantasy 3) is considered one of the best games in the JRPG subgenre, though it is very much a JRPG and a console game. Magic is reintroduced to the setting over the course of the plot, but the early parts of the game are more narrowly steampunk than Arcanum's setting where magic coexists with advancing technology.

Final-Fantasy-VI-Narshe-Orioto.jpg

Mortmal

Arcane
Larian is making Arcanum 2? That's good, I have been looking forward to Divinity Original Sin 4.
No, don't forget RPGCodex is a very niche site, ill-suited for finding information, with grognards praising ancient games that are only as good as the rose-tinted memories they have of them, and that no one remembers outside a few hundred people on the planet. Larian is working on a sci-fi game right now.

Chippy

Arcane
Patron
Larian is making Arcanum 2? That's good, I have been looking forward to Divinity Original Sin 4.
No, don't forget RPGCodex is a very niche site, ill-suited for finding information, with grognards praising ancient games that are only as good as the rose-tinted memories they have of them, and that no one remembers outside a few hundred people on the planet. Larian is working on a sci-fi game right now.

Fuckable ducks now?.

rxxPllZUYJ-4rIF0JkihKj9L1gn3kW7hhopb29K7-xs-x7ub23TLKxRc5HXfrjf1R5KrULWioTbLzZ4E8yXl9_Ma2SQhLH...jpg

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom