Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What would you think if Larian makes Arcanum 2 next?

Arbiter

Scholar
Do you really want Larian to butcher the legacy of another classic game?

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Electronic Arts owns the Ultima™ IP. Pretty sure Sven is smart enough to just say fuck no to another licensed game. Activision still owns the Arcanum™ trademark as well.

huskarls

Scholar
Electronic Arts owns the Ultima™ IP. Pretty sure Sven is smart enough to just say fuck no to another licensed game. Activision still owns the Arcanum™ trademark as well.
enlighten me if svenware's IPs are all trash and he hates dealing with IP holders, and lets pretend he isn't making divinity 7

notpl

Arbiter
Sort of seems like a stupid question to entertain even as a thought experiment. What if Larian made a sequel to Crash Bandicoot next? Arcanum has nothing whatsoever to do with them, has no popularity outside of this forum and two or three other eastern european people to cash in on, and Larian doesn't have some established reputation of resuming defunct IPs.

the mole

Arbiter
Shitposter
larian did a good job with baldurs gate 3

the bigger problem is larian coming up with their own ideas

being chained to dnd is the best thing that happened to them, arcanum is the case of a somewhat brilliant system not executed well, larian has proved that they can execute with other people's system, it would honestly be great probably

rojay

Scholar

being chained to dnd is the best thing that happened to them,
You had me right up to there, but no further.

*-*/\--/\~

Cipher
I wouldn't touch it, it's enough they turned one franchise into a woke Divinity mod.

the mole

Arbiter
Shitposter

srs nigga, you gonna defend the encounter design of the second half of arcanum, meh, melee character rapes every other build, it could be balanced better for sure

RaggleFraggle

Ask me about VTM

srs nigga, you gonna defend the encounter design of the second half of arcanum, meh, melee character rapes every other build, it could be balanced better for sure
I’m sick of companies constantly repackaging decades old franchises and driving it into the ground. We need more devs with the balls to make new franchises.

the mole

Arbiter
Shitposter

I’m sick of companies constantly repackaging decades old franchises and driving it into the ground. We need more devs with the balls to make new franchises.
larian is too stupid to make their own shit though

the mole

Arbiter
Shitposter

Skinwalker

*teleports inside you*
Patron
Village Idiot
Is there a single WRPG studio that could be trusted with a sequel to Arcanum?

Certainly not Latrine, or Owlcrap, or Obshitian, or Bethpizda, or Biowhore, or CD Project WOKE.

rojay

Scholar

No, I just don't think Larian would make a good Arcanum sequel.

RaggleFraggle

Ask me about VTM
There are a ton of ways to execute a steampunk setting. So I’m surprised there’s so few video games in the genre. There’s Arcanum and… I can’t think of anything else. And even Arcanum complicates it by adding magic and D&D races.

Also, now I recall, the whole premise of magic interfering with specifically non-electronic technology is just plain weird in retrospect. Why doesn’t it negatively affect biology in the same way? If it can cause steam trains to spontaneously derail due to tiny shifts in velocity, then why doesn’t it cause spontaneous aneurysms using the same logic?

the mole

Arbiter
Shitposter
There are a ton of ways to execute a steampunk setting. So I’m surprised there’s so few video games in the genre. There’s Arcanum and… I can’t think of anything else. And even Arcanum complicates it by adding magic and D&D races.

Also, now I recall, the whole premise of magic interfering with specifically non-electronic technology is just plain weird in retrospect. Why doesn’t it negatively affect biology in the same way? If it can cause steam trains to spontaneously derail due to tiny shifts in velocity, then why doesn’t it cause spontaneous aneurysms using the same logic?
yea, basically it's a logic vs belief dichotomy

not related to anything physical, logic represents machines, belief is magic

basically int vs wis

Skinwalker

*teleports inside you*
Patron
Village Idiot
Magic vs science is almost always retarded.

The one series that did this correctly was Mage: the Ascension. In this world, magic has to be practiced covertly (and the magical effect has to be disguised as a lucky cohendicence), not because muh magic interferes with muh science for no reason, but because science (or rather, the modernist worldview) itself is revealed to be a belief system that was implemented by a group of mages (Technocracy) who convinced most of the people in the world to regard it as the only possible reality, and the collective conviction of the world's masses collides with obviously supernatural effects and causes a paradox.

It's belief vs belief.

Mauman

Scholar

It....did?

Try casting heal on tech guy, or use a pharmaceutical on a magic guy. It'll either do very little or absolutely nothing.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom