Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Pathfinder Which mythic path do you prefer and why? (Caution: Spoiler)

Which way, pathfinder man?

• Total voters

Alex

Arcane
Which path let's you play 2e AD&D instead of pathfinder?

Lokiamis

Learned
Abandoned a Devil playthrough because it starts so late, sucks, and is allegedly not even a finished path. Went with Angel after that because that's where all the effort/marketing went. Thrilling choice.

Agesilaus

Antiquity Studio
Patron
Developer
Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Going to try Lich after I finish Kingmaker. Vordakai deserved better, I will make it right in the sequel.

Big decision is whether to go wizard, or some sort of melee build. Maybe a dragon shifter or something, but then again I can just become a dragon via magic anyway.

notpl

Arbiter
Abandoned a Devil playthrough because it starts so late, sucks, and is allegedly not even a finished path. Went with Angel after that because that's where all the effort/marketing went. Thrilling choice.
I think Aeon, Demon, Angel, Trickster, Lich and Azata are all equally fleshed-out. Swarm starts a bit late and is obviously abridged somewhat content-wise but is very unique and the path to get there is interesting. Really, only Devil and Dragon feel like bullshit afterthoughts.

gurugeorge

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
I've only really tried Azata and Trickster to any depth, Angel some. Trickster is ridiculously OP, Angel too; Azata is balanced about right, and Aivu is fun. All three of those paths are pretty well fleshed-out story-wise, but the Azata storyline is kind of light-hearted and moderately amusing, so I guess Azata is my fave, from my limited knowledge.

LannTheStupid

Товарищ
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
All six starting paths are very solid, if not narratively, then mechanically.

Going to try Lich after I finish Kingmaker. Vordakai deserved better, I will make it right in the sequel.

Big decision is whether to go wizard, or some sort of melee build.
I think spellbook merging disqualifies anyone but a pure arcane caster. Which are plenty, including Eldritch Knights.

Agesilaus

Antiquity Studio
Patron
Developer
Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
All six starting paths are very solid, if not narratively, then mechanically.

Big decision is whether to go wizard, or some sort of melee build.
I think spellbook merging disqualifies anyone but a pure arcane caster. Which are plenty, including Eldritch Knights.
But do you need it? Lich also gives a bunch of special melee buffs, including big buffs for natural weapons like claws and teeth.

But I'm larping as Vordakai so I guess wizard it is. I was considering trying the arcanist for a change but I"m not that adventurous. Dark Elementalist would also be on theme, but again that sounds like work, and also it has the merge problem. I haven't played the new DLC, but apparently you get a shifter hero in it so I will get to tinker with that class regardless.

LannTheStupid

Товарищ
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
For me, Vordakai is a pure wizard. Maybe even too pure; an ability to swing a scythe (or Death's Consonant) seems useful. Compare him with the Storyteller, who was not afraid to get his hands dirty and, to some extent, lived his life instead of hybernating in the tomb.

If I ever role-played Vordakai, which is an excellent idea by itself, I would have played an arrogant pure wizard who is too shortsighted for her/his own good.

Joyvankek

Learned
I'm kind of impressed by how even the voting spread is. Nearly all paths receive mostly equal votes, with the exceptions of Devil and Golden Dragon being universally passed over or rejected. I think that's good evidence that they are decently designed paths, with something for everyone. Very surprising.
That's what they should have done with their DLCs.
Give us proper Dragon and Devil path.
Game have a lot of content already and the main paths are done well.(So far I've done Lich and Angel and are on the begining of Azata, though this one is a little to hippie/naive good for my liking) So it wouldn't feel like anything being cut-off from the main game.
Instead we got some half-assed mini campaign dlcs.
Why no one is willing to put an effort into proper expansions, we used to have in the past?

Delterius

Arcane
Why no one is willing to put an effort into proper expansions
Problem isn't expansions, it's the mythic path system. It turned out to be much more work intensive than they thought it would be, the more paths they added the more effort they spend from keeping new changes from fucking shit up in the end. That's the answer they always give to questions of new path DLCs and such things.

Fwiw the side story where you play the survivors seem like a 'proper expansion' to me. I haven't played it, so I don't know how big they actually are. It's just that they don't expand the MC's story. So they make those, it's just that Owlcat has a history of making whatever they want damn the marketability.

scytheavatar

Scholar

Protip: make sure you worship Pharasma for Lich path. Genuinely the funniest shit ever, a better Trickster story than the actual Trickster path.

Fwiw the side story where you play the survivors seem like a 'proper expansion' to me. I haven't played it, so I don't know how big they actually are. It's just that they don't expand the MC's story. So they make those, it's just that Owlcat has a history of making whatever they want damn the marketability.
Not really, maybe it'll be a "full" one once the 2nd half is out. But aside from the problem of not being about the MC, it has the secondary problem of not really having a story aside from "escape the demons".

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Angel most fitting for heroic power-fantasy.
Trickster most creative mechanically, possibly game-changing (like Mobility Trick!).
Aeon has a great theme and awesome powers at higher ranks. Plus time travel and story altering! Too bad about the disonance of focusing on petty mortal acts in the earlier part of the game.
Lich is badass.

Socrates

Bonfire Kindler
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is.
Aeon personally. The amount of crazy shit you can do to change the plot and character arc's is amazing. LA is so goofy I can't not like it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom