Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Which Pathfinder AP should OwlCat adapt next? In your opinion?

In your opinion, which one should be the next?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Skull & Shakles will be amazing to show Obsidian how to do a "naval" adventure. I hope that the naval combat will not be dissociated from the gameplay.

I liked the kingdom building in kingmaker but IMO the greatest problem is that is too dissociated from gameplay. You have a lot of building options, but the map building and actual city are two separated entities. NWN2 did stronghold building way better. You build a Wizard tower and you can enter in the Wizard tower. Same with WoTR crusade. IS too dissociated from the actual gameplay.

If OwlCat makes Sull & Shakles, a UlderRail expansion style naval combat will be great.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
... imagine using an antimateriel rifle in a Pathfinder game...

Yep. Imagine using a anti materiel rifle to fight a freaking ice dragon. That would be so amazing...

campaign minigames.

LOL. IMO if they include naval combat, I wish for something like UnderRail Expeditions, not something dissociated from the gameplay like PoE 2. And if they include island building in skull & shakles, I hope for something like NWN2 Crossroad keep not something like kingmaker. But my guess is that most votes which Skull & Shakles is getting is not due the "archipelago" and pirate theme. Is due the fact that it is the lowest level AP.

Thonius

Arcane
Ugh Iron gods are a kind of a hard pass, I somewhat like it when there is minor sci-fi element or it is hidden in fantasy AOD, Prince of Thorns etc but this one is just too much in your face "ROBBITS!"

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
You said being epuk levul lich pew-pew would be amazing and look how it turned.

Except by the bloat, Lich MP was greatly implemented. You can do a lot of things with NPCs. The quests of lich mythic path was so amazing, mainly in chapter 4, where you need to reanimate (spoilers bellow)

Reanimate a freaking resquice of a demon lord to learn how Nocticula managed to usurp his position.

And in chapter 5, you can turn a strong independent woman into ...

A undead bitch slave
8ZPBKXo.png

And I still would prefer vampire mythic path over lichdoom and believe that KoTC2 when launches will have better high level gameplay due better AI + less bloat.

Ugh Iron gods are a kind of a hard pass, I somewhat like it when there is minor sci-fi element or it is hidden in fantasy AOD, Prince of Thorns etc but this one is just too much in your face "ROBBITS!"

Iron Gods is more like a high magical version of fallout 1/2, is not star trek for eg. The """minigame""" in Iron Gods can be something like reactivating a ancient forge and forging powerful gear. IMO high tech and high magic are very similar. Constructs X Robots, Firearms X evocation magic, sci fi medicine vs healing magic(...) Arcanum is great and is high tech and high magical at the same time.

Reinhardt

Arcane
Victor, your concept of "amazing" is one of the small kid's - "if i mix kfc, watermelon, grape soda and all other things i love it surely will be amazingest thing ever!" That's not how it works. Succubus harem riding space mythic vampire lich and shooting robotic dragon demon lords with anti-material rifles not guarantee AMAZING result in the end. Just look at Golariaon - it's not AMAZING despite mixing all things you love.

Shadenuat

Arcane
idunno sounds kinda tempting.

add space ship from early Ultima and odd planets with computer oracles ruling them from M&M/xeen (?)

and all beast races from Wizardry. also elephant people, from wizards and warriors. was it wizards and warriors that had elephant people?

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
"if i mix kfc, watermelon, grape soda and all other things i love it surely will be amazingest thing ever!" That's not how it works. Succubus harem riding space mythic vampire lich and shooting robotic dragon demon lords with anti-material rifles not guarantee AMAZING result in the end. Just look at Golariaon - it's not AMAZING despite mixing all things you love.

Except that we have a lot of great fantasy RPGs with sci fi on it. Might & Magic VII - For Blood and Honor for eg. My very first RPG. Wizardry also had a lot of SCI FI on it. And elex is great too.

I also agree that Golarion is not amazing, fells like a generic copy of Forgotten Realms, but we are talking about Adventure Paths here. All set in Golarion. Between a game set in Numeria and a Dark Sun game which has way less "awesome stuff" but way more setting consistency, I would pick a Dark Sun game. However, Woketards would never allow that. Note that I din't voted for Iron Gods. I voted for Skull & Shakles. Because I'm interested in naval combat and as longs OwlCat makes it less gimmicky and dissociated from the gameplay and more akin to UnderRail Expeditions, it can be grat.

About liches, as I've said many times, I would prefer vampirism. The phylactery mechanic in wotr is very lackluster.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
OwlCat was hiring for a unannounced SCI FI RPG ( https://rpgcodex.net/forums/threads/owlcat-hiring-to-develop-a-turn-based-sci-fi-rpg.134185/ )

So, liking sci fi stuff in fantasy or not, probably a Iron Gods AP Pathfinder adaptation or starfinder. I wish for the first.

Here is a review from a guy which hates high tech stuff in fantasy(except Eberron as he mentions in 0:30). HE talks about Barbarian tribes and how they see with distrust the "alien technology". The Technique league are a group of high level wizards/technomancers wanting to "reverse enginner" this alien technology to put in a good use. And now, they are a protectionist group which runs Numenera from the background.

At 6:55 - Tech CAN FAIL which makes sense considering that the tech din't got much maintance and is very ancient. 7:50 - The starforge is the unique place in the world where you can forge adamantine weapons. After it he starts to talk about the adventure. 15:25 - A Tecnomancer doing crazy experiments.

Liking SCI FI in fantasy or not, this module seems interesting. Seems the best AP to adapt? No. But one thing is sure. If the next module is Iron Gods, will be better than WoTR. I saw many DMs who say that WoTR is the worst AP which they played.

deuxhero

Arcane
Not that I trust Owlcat anymore after they went full woke, but for the sake of information. When I say "No backtracking", it's generally because of large geographical gaps between chapters among other reasons so backtracking makes no sense at all ("Sure we just sailed downriver for weeks in pursuit of a guy, but I want to check the first dungeon again in case I missed something!").

Rise of the Runelords
Largely linear dungeon crawl

Curse of the Crimson Throne
Same

Second Darkness
Legacy of Fire
Council of Thieves
Serpent's Skull
All considered meh to bad APs

Carrion Crown
Not really sure on this

Jade Regent
Linear to the point of no backtracking being possible, overall meh AP that squandered its themes by not taking place in its central setting.

Skull & Shackles
Has some degree of free-formness. Ship combat needs an overhaul, but its doable. Easily in top 3.

Shattered Star
Linear dungeon crawl

Reign of Winter
No backtracking.

Mummy's Mask
No backtracking. Shit after book one.

Iron Gods
While largely dungeon based, the only thing really stopping players from exploring the largely untamed region on their own after book one is directions and the dangers associated with the untamed land it is set in. Easily in top 3.

For those worried about the tech, it's Expedition to Barrier Peak (explicitly based on it) as a small country. Tech is still relatively rare, hard to operate, harder to understand, scarse of power/ammo and not just "laser gun goes pew!".

Giantslayer
Linear dungeon crawl, also meh.

Hell's Rebels
Rebellion plot all set in a single city. Very underrealized at points (it really shows that it came out before the book on running this kind of campaign), but overall solid. Has strong supporting cast of allies who could become party members. Easily in top 3.

Strange Aeons
Strong themes/atmosphere, but video game wise it's a linear dungeon crawl with no backtracking.

Ironfang Invasion
Not really sure

Ruins of Azlant
Starts out promising tale of setting up a colony on a former mountaintop of Atlantis, then completely ditches that when it transitions to "the underwater AP" and virtually forgets the colony even exists.

War for the Crown
Return of the Runelords
Tyrant's Grasp
All pretty terrible for their own reasons, also no backtracking.

I’d like to see Owlcat expand and revise Strange Aeons to the same degree that they did so with Wrath, but iirc Mishulin has expressed distaste for Lovecraftian elements so probably not going to happen.

Skull & Shackles, Iron Gods, and, Ironfang Invasion would all be nifty as well.

Doesn’t really matter though, I’m going to buy it. :bounce:

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
For those worried about the tech, it's Expedition to Barrier Peak (explicitly based on it) as a small country. Tech is still relatively rare, hard to operate, harder to understand, scarse of power/ammo and not just "laser gun goes pew!".

I tough that gunslinger is a very popular class for Iron Gods. But TBH he uses early blackpowder guns, not "blasters", right?

PS : As I've mentioned many times, I wanna skull & Shakles. I had some naval combats in P&P and loved it.

Reinhardt

Arcane
considering it's owlcat it will be kangdom management of island, new retarded mechanic of naval combat and when you board enemy ship you will have crusade battle.

Nortar

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
harem riding space mythic vampire lich and shooting robotic dragon demon lords with anti-material rifles

That's basically Mass Effect 2.
Shep gets risen from the dead, and rides across space with a harem of assorted waifus (one of which is a literal psychic vampire) to shoot "robotic demon lords" with rifles.
:M

Self-Ejected

Rusty Eyes

aka Auraculum
They're doing Iron Gods. Somewhere else they mentioned they're working on a "science fiction flavoured" game. And the setting of Iron Gods is right next to the Stolen Lands and the Worldwound. Also a setting in which it would make sense to play an evil, or at least strongly morally grey, character.

Also, they also stated, a long time ago, that they would never touch Reign of Winter, so you can cross that one out.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom